• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***What's going on with Smashbros.com?***

Status
Not open for further replies.

beta_prime

Smash Journeyman
I just don't like the smash attack for sideways wii-mote. I'd be just weird for me to have to press two buttons for a smash but I will try it just to see if I could get the hang of it.

NukeA6

Smash Master
This update was to be expected. Sakurai did say that he would reveal how Smash attacks would be done using just the Wiimote.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I may give the classic controller a shot. Especially since you can configure the buttons. I may make the d-pad the movement pad instead of the analog. Not sure yet.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I was kinda hoping that attacking and jumping would be done with the d-pad (for Wiimote+Nunchuck) and A+motion would be a pseudo C-stick...

Here's me hoping that Sakurai doesn't remove things to give the Wiimote-only people a more level playing field.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
well it's good now to see how everything will be played for each style. although the wii-mote on it's side is a little weird for me, having to press two buttons for a smash attack. but now i'm wondering how the specials will be pulled off

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Does anyone else get really pissed off when blog posts like these come up? Here's what I mean. Sakurai is a d*ck. He knows that we want new updates, or just confirmed things from Melee. So at first glance, when we read about Smash Attacks, we're like "Cool, good deal. Oh, so that's how the Wiimote works. Nice." But then you have to think about it... He didn't mention the C-Stick AT ALL. And the whole purpose of the C-Stick is FOR SMASH ATTACKS.

So, here's what we have. A full update about Smash Attacks, but absolutely nothing the C-Stick, which is the most popular way to perform a Smash. Now, most people wouldn't worry about this, because he couldn't possibly take that out of the game, right? But at the same time, wouldn't he have mentioned it if it was in the game??

And now I'm going insane trying to determine whether or not we can smash with the C-Stick, and here's the worst part. Since he already revealed a blog solely dedicated to Smash Attacks, we'll never actually get another blog post commenting on Smash Attacks with the C-Stick. Therefore, we won't know if it's in the game until Brawl releases!!!

He's done this with other updates, as well; he's given us a lot of information about a certain subject, but completely neglected to tell us the stuff we're really hoping for. Like, can Zelda transform? How does Zamus affect Samus? Are Smash Balls items? We know so much, yet so little at the same time.

Sakurai = Mind Terrorist.

~Dac

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
It's official, side ways wii mote is the controller of choice for optimum opponent embarrassment. If you can beat someone with wii mote only, they must bow down and give respect.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
whoa dude settle down. at least he is giving us SOMETHING.

but i never C-Stick my smash attacks anyway, so i don't care if it was implemented or not. with the new control schemes it'd be pretty hard anyway

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well my guess is that we will have 3 more days like this before E3 -_-;;
but I'm not complaining an update is an update, I just look for things they tweaked or did new like:
the controls for the other controllers wii remote on it's side seems a little to complex for me

Sporkman

Smash Ace
The C-Stick is just an alternative method of performing a smash attack or directional aerial. The way a smash attack is supposed to be performed is via the method given (hence why the c-stick cannot be used in single player modes). To include the c-stick method of performing smash attacks would be superfluous and possibly wrong if it can't be used in single player modes again.

Some of you guys are so narrow minded.

burrito

Smash Lord
I'm kind of surprised that the sideways wii-mote doesn't use motion sensing for smash attacks. About Sakurai removing the "press twice".

Suprises?

I dunno, I can recall some dull-to-average friday updates...
Wario: special moves
Lylat cruise
Four kinds of control
Delfino plaza
Pit

All the Friday updates were interesting. Except maybe Pit, but it was still sort of a "big" update. Now that it hasn't been a stage for the last two days, I am 99% sure that it will e a stage tomorrow. I should have figured that they would have saved it until Friday. I think that this the longest amount of time we have gone without seeing another stage.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
On that same card, it is narrow minded and foolish to only use controlstick-A for your smash attacks. Even more so. When I play, I like to play loose, in a manner where I don't even realize how much I'm switching between csticking aerials/smash and actually doing the combinations. THAT is the way to best utilize the controls best , because you can contolstick-a for power and for aerials that are more difficult to controlstick-A you can cstick them, or you can cc to cstick to out speed/priority your foes. My verdict? Both are important aspects of the controls.

Also: What a useless update. This is a premium example of a filler update.

EDIT: Since usually the friday update gets the msot attention, I just pray we get something that can sustain intelligent discussion. If we got a character, a stage, item, mode/ how to paly i'll be happy. Even an assist trophy.
If it is music I'll have a heart attack.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Peaches, IC's, Luigis, and aerials is where I use it most. Wavedashes/wavelands to c-sticked smash attacks is jsut great.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
On that same card, it is narrow minded and foolish to only use controlstick-A for your smash attacks. Even more so. When I play, I like to play loose, in a manner where I don't even realize how much I'm switching between csticking aerials/smash and actually doing the combinations. THAT is the way to best utilize the controls best , because you can contolstick-a for power and for aerials that are more difficult to controlstick-A you can cstick them, or you can cc to cstick to out speed/priority your foes. My verdict? Both are important aspects of the controls.
I wasn't saying it's narrow-minded to not use the C-stick. I was saying it's narrow-minded to jump to the conclusion that the C-stick control method has been removed due to the fact it wasn't included as a way to perform a smash attack. Afterall, in melee you are forced to play without the C-stick in single player, meaning the C-stick isn't always available to use to perform smash attacks or aerials. If everyone took a step back and thought about why then we wouldn't get posts like the one Dacvak posted.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
The full advantages of c-sticking can be seen when you use it for aerials.
Yep, thats pretty much the only time I use the c-stick. I can play equally well without it though so I really don't care if the c-stick is included or not. I'm pretty sure we will be able to customize the controls so we could use either motion sensitivity or the c-stick to use smash attacks anyways.

I'm thinking about using the nunchuck+wiimote combo, I think it has enough buttons to satisfy me plus using motion for smash attacks would be cool.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
You have a point, Dac is just one of those ungrateful little kids that dies a little inside because everyday we can't always get a character or some sick stage. IMO, C-Stick will have either it's own update because of it's many uses in melee besides smashing, or it will be something we find for ourselves. I don't remember seeing the c-stick in the preview for melee? I can check the manual but I really don't remember it.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
The C-Stick was quite possibly the worst addition to Smash, ever. In my experience, the only thing it does is give people that don't know how to play an edge when combined with characters like Marth.

If this was the only thing that this update sparked in your mind, you need to take a step back to single player and learn how to play again.

Needing the C-Stick to perform a Smash Attack is about as stupid as "Final Smash" needing an abbreviation. It's so simple to begin with, does there really need to be an easy way out?

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Okay, on another topic - could this control scheme mean a nerf to Samus?

I know, some of you are thinking Wha? How's that?

Well, look at the Wii-mote on its side control scheme. I'm presuming that 2 is for A attacks and 1 is for B attacks.

So since you can't smash the stick, the D-pad differentiates between smash attacks and tilt attacks by pressing both 1 and 2 at the same time. In most cases, this won't matter because B button attacks don't care if you smashed or tilted the stick, so pressing a direction and both 1 and 2 would assume you intended a Smash A attack.

But what about the rare case where a B button move DOES care if you smash it or not? Meaning, Samus's missiles. Samus can do Smash missiles or homing missiles with Forward+B, with Smash missiles requiring a smash on the analog stick.

With the Wii-mote on its side, if you tap forward and press both 1 and 2, how would the game know if you wanted to do a forward A smash attack or the smash Missile attack, since you pressed both buttons?

I can't imagine anything else is used for B button attacks besides the 1 button, the other buttons would be too awkward for moves you have to do that frequently. And even if it is a different button, you'd still need a way to tell if the player wanted to do a normal forwad B or a Smash B.

Thus, the only way I can see Samus still getting both homing and straight missiles is if a special control is made especially for them - like double-tapping forward then pressing 1, or using the motion sensor. Or, Samus is no longer going to have 2 kinds of missile attacks...

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
If you think its going to nerf Samus by useing the Wii-mote, then use the game cube pad.

Anyway, this update was crap. You can just customize the controls anyway, so this did NOT update me with anything.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Marios f-tilt A animation looks sick!
It does, it looks like they made him even more cartoony and exaggerated than they did in Melee. Which is great, it totally fits the Mario character style. Bowser was another nice surprise and I'm still eager to see Yoshi for the same reasons.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
The point I was making (on Samus) was not "Gosh, Samus will suck with the Wii-mote because she can't do this move, so I better use the GameCube controlle with her!"

My point was that if she can't perform a certain move on the Wii-mote at all due to the control scheme used, the move will probably be removed from the game altogether. I doubt they'll leave moves in the game that a certain control scheme can't perform at all.

Thus, updates like this are more important than some realize - by understanding how the control scheme with the least options works (Wii-mote on its side) we can begin to guess what changes may be made to the game itself to compensate for that control scheme's lack of options.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Also something interesting: Apparently you don't jump with the up button on the sideways wiimote (otherwise you wouldn't be able to U-tilt).

I personally think you would have to shake the controller for jumping, because the A/Z buttons will probably be mapped to shield and throw. Although I could see shaking being for throwing instead.

chiyo-chan' dad

Smash Ace
I think any move that she can do with the gamecube pad, she can do with the wii-mote.
It got just as mush buttons lay out. This is what I think they will do with the gamecube pad to the wii-mote.

A=2 (Standard Attack)
tilt and A= back or forwards with the d-pad and 2 (Strong Attack)
tilt quickly and A= back, forwards, up or down and 1 and 2 (Smash Attack)
B=1
tilt and B= back, forwards, up or down and 1
Z= A (grab)
R or L = B (block)
up, y or x=up on the D-pad (jump)

Well this is what I think it will be like. I sorry if you find something wong with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom