• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what's a good counterpick stage?

chewyy

Smash Ace
Just wondering what other people like to counterpick with the IC's.
Well, I mean you don't have to be counterpicking it, just what stages you think you do well with the IC's.

personally, I like Mansion, but it seems other characters are better there. :ohwell: So, I'll probably be switching.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Final Destination is a no brainer. It's way too easy to chain grab on this stage and makes the ice blocks even more annoying especially if you can pull off an ice block lock.

Battlefield makes it especially easy to camp with ice blocks and blizzard, is also good for chain grabs, and the short recovery distance means that it won't be too often where you lose Nana while trying to get back alive.

Pretty much all the other neutral stages (Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, etc) are especially good for the Ice Climbers.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I usually pick FD or Yoshi's Island for my counterpick, I prefer Yoshi's Island because of the platform that can help at times. Pokemon Stadium 1 I do well on with ICs too. People tend to counterpick it against me expecting me to do bad there for some reason too lol.

Any neutral stage my ICs do good on.

Hit973

Smash Cadet
yea neutrals are best. As for stages that are only on the counter pick list, I like mansion and castle siege.

lain

Smash Master
Final Destination hands down.

If that's banned, make sure you go Pictochat if it's legal.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Norfair!! (nofair amirite!?)

The ledges on this stage are ridiculous. And ICs have pretty sweet options at the ledge IMO.
You can tether to whichever edge you want, and poke at the enemy with Uairs from below all the platforms, with lots of ways to recover. Side-B recovering is easy and you can choose whatever platform you want to return to. It's hard to gimp a solo IC on this level, because unless you're below the lowest platform, you have choice in your recovery.

And the multi-stage platforms give weird desync options for the ICs.

And Ice Shots are hilarious here because they slinky down from the top platform to the lowest. Of course, ice shots are more ridiculous on stages like Green Hill Zone, where they roll back and forth and back and forth, totally messing with your opponent! I like to desync the ICs so Nana spams ice shots while I chase the enemy with smashes... hard to pull off though.

That all being said... Norfair can fail hard if your opponent is also good at abusing it. And there's not as much grabbing opportunity. But it's so neat :) Green Hill Zone is also kinda meh cuz the roundedness can mess up CGs and it makes Blizzard kinda useless too.

Jungle Japes is a neat stage for ICs too, IMO. The ledges are easy to play with, with up-B and side-B options. And Nana-spiking people into the water is pretty sweet :) A good level if you want a quick, under-handed match!

Rykard

Smash Ace
i like castle siege a lot especially on the second part of the level where you are inside cause the states block other characters from spamming at you and you can wreck them under platforms. also being able to cause death with a chaingrab by sopo coudnt hurt.

other than that, yoshis story it good. nice high ceiling for the light character

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I like green greens since you can ice block lock people into any of the four walls. this makes it a lot harder to escape

chewyy

Smash Ace
KRDsonic said "That's why you should keep your main and who you are a secret if you can :p"

I hope you don't play sonic :p

I like green greens since you can ice block lock people into any of the four walls. this makes it a lot harder to escape
I hope green greens isn't on the SBR rules. :(

Final Destination hands down.

If that's banned, make sure you go Pictochat if it's legal.
Yeah, didn't think of Pictochat, I really like that stage. :)

Thanks for the help guys :bee:

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Final Destination is the only stage that I play at whenever I choose (I need to start going for variety some time soon) but I know that if you want to pick a good stage, go for one with a decent ground to work with and make sure that it is level for the most part (such as Lylat or more preferably, Smashville). Make sure that the stage doesn't have a big natural hazard in it if you are more of the chain grabby type (Norfair would be good for combat Ice Climbers but not grab ones since your spike would be messed up by rising lava and you have a time limit in grabbing the person since lava can kill you...). Battle field and other stages of that sort that are mainly flat platforms are good. (Yoshi's Story, Delphino, Frigate Orpheon can be decent (unless it starts flipping...))

lain

Smash Master
FD is hands down the best stage for IC's.

Pictochat is an FD, only with a high ceiling and farther-then-they-look edges. IC's, being light, rejoice here because they don't die to strong vertical killing moves.

The "hazards" aren't that big of a deal. In fact, most help.

You also need to chaingrab to a higher percent to kill, but hey, one grab should ALWAYS equal a kill.

lain

Smash Master
lol

Desync blizzard facing the direction the wind is blowing, you're just moving towards your opponent slowly with blizzards which is a silly little defensive option.

Blizzarding the opposite way, your opponent will be drawn towards your blizzards.

chewyy

Smash Ace
yeah I guess, btw I just checked popo's up smash kill %'s and they are the same on pictochat and FD. It's 101%(No DI on meta). So, I think the ceilings are the same height. and F-smash killed 2% earlier (72%, no DI on meta) from the edge of Pictochat then it did on FD (74%)

so the boundaries are about the same. Just saying :p

lain

Smash Master
Then I are sad : ( LOL

It's still a *****in' IC level. You can blizzard while on the diagonal ends end it stops a lot of people's recovery attempts XD

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
First, avoid yoshi's story (Thats the name for the neutral yoshi stage?), not only the tiny slopes can mess up a grab but a more serious matter is that Nana's AI is messed up on this stage, she likes to think that this thing that sometimes pops on the left or right is ALWAYS there and she will kill herself alot of times because of that. Avoid!!

I prefer battlefield, you really don't need that much space to chainthrow well and camping blizzards under platforms is very good. Also a synced squall / uair / utilt can easily pop an opponent on the two low platforms where you can easily punish them for that (Even better if they miss a tech).

Final and smashville are good too because they dont allow other chracters to out-counter you.

I hate Lylat cruisie, squalls on the sloped ground cause you to slide downwards and it's really annoying :p

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
Corneria is probably a pretty good counter pick (Besides FD) if you are always at the bottom right of the stage where it is flat. If the opponent is on the other side of the stage you can do a single jump, and at the peak of it use an IB, and it will go sliding down the stage extremely fast. If you do this multiple times, it will force the opponent to approach you (since almost no projectile can even come close to hitting you). Eventually when he gets close, he is going to be above you (because of the ledge) and only good can come of it. You can use any of your 3 best priority moves uair, usmash or belay. Then just rinse and repeat. Although if your opponent does find a way to get down there, it is pretty easy to grab him (because of the small, enclosed space, and btw infinite dtilts wont be too much of a problem because both IC probably wont get caught in it) and put him in an ice block lock against the wall. And after your content with the damage from the lock finish him with an FSMASH not usmash or dsmash because they can wall tech. So overall its a pretty good counterpick if you stay on the bottom right of the stage.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
When I choose the Ice Climbers I usually stay on Corneria, Pictochat, and Battlefield

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Exploiting the IC immunity to wall infinites seem like a great idea. Also that fast iceblock thing on corneria sounds cool :p

KRDsonic

Smash Master
*sigh* if only infinites weren't banned in Houston >.> Jab Locks, Ice Block Locks, Laser Locks, Wall Infinites, etc. If I ever go to a different tourny I'll have to hope I know what to watch out for *sigh*.

lain

Smash Master
Battlefield is not a good stage whatsoever for the IC's.

The opponent can just camp the 3 platforms, moving to any of the three at any point, and running away from IC's slow ***. : 3

Against anyone smart they'll know they can be a huge ***** on the platforms and make it many times harder.

I always ban this **** first in strikeout, and completely as a counterpick.

:colorful:

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord

The opponent can just camp the 3 platforms, moving to any of the three at any point, and running away from IC's slow ***. : 3

Against anyone smart they'll know they can be a huge ***** on the platforms and make it many times harder.

How is this possible? If they are on the lower platforms, do a full jump Up air (make is so that you float around the platform after coming from under it so that you don't land on the platform), If they jump to a higher platform, use second jump and Up- air, then fastfall, rinse, and repeat...

Lol, I'm also thinking of Flatzone to be a good stage cause you can Ice Block lock them to their doom. ^_^

chewyy

Smash Ace
How is this possible? If they are on the lower platforms, do a full jump Up air (make is so that you float around the platform after coming from under it so that you don't land on the platform), If they jump to a higher platform, use second jump and Up- air, then fastfall, rinse, and repeat...
Yeah, I kind of like battlefield, but I don't think it's that great for the IC's. I mean, they CAN get around the uair. (btw full hop goes way above the platform so i think you mean shorthop)

what happened to banning the Mann's mansion?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Yeah, I kind of like battlefield, but I don't think it's that great for the IC's. I mean, they CAN get around the uair. (btw full hop goes way above the platform so i think you mean shorthop)

what happened to banning the Mann's mansion?
I did mean full hop because you use up-air while your in the middle of the ascent. Short hop doesn't get above the platform. If the up-air connects, you can chain it into another one while you can't if you shorthop...

lain

Smash Master
Full jump uair is not an answer. LOL.

They can just stand on the top platform (or any, doesn't matter), and just run away to other platforms.

You're not playing good people if you think Battlefield is good for IC's.

chewyy

Smash Ace
I did mean full hop because you use up-air while your in the middle of the ascent. Short hop doesn't get above the platform. If the up-air connects, you can chain it into another one while you can't if you shorthop...
yeah, lain is right, if you full hop a u-air, the only thing that is going to happen is shield -> punish.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
it doesn't matter what stage you choose chewyy, you won't beat me anymore

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
IC can also upsmash through the bottom platforms in battlefield (I know it doesn't look like it but it works.)

Also, like I already said, camping under the platforms with desynced blizzards is really hard to punish for alot of characters.

TKD

Smash Lord
Lylat Cruise owns.

It has a small trip to die from a spike, so you don't have to damage R.O.B. and MK as much as usual during your chaingrabs. Three low platforms are VERY neat, you can easily reach low ground when trying to regain control of the match. Random Blizzards are specially effective here, since they cover the entire space below any platform.

I don't recommend it against Snake though. You're gonna end up with a grenade camping Snake below a mined platform. Auto-loss.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lylat Cruise owns.

It has a small trip to die from a spike, so you don't have to damage R.O.B. and MK as much as usual during your chaingrabs. Three low platforms are VERY neat, you can easily reach low ground when trying to regain control of the match. Random Blizzards are specially effective here, since they cover the entire space below any platform.

I don't recommend it against Snake though. You're gonna end up with a grenade camping Snake below a mined platform. Auto-loss.
Lylat tilting will mess up chaingrabs. Also, if it tilts down and you squall you fly off the ledge lol.

lain

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that's common knowledge (as it's totally awesome for poking shields sometimes ;) )

If camping under a platform while blizzarding is hard to stop for some characters, then they're being ******** running into it.

Top Bottom