• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What stages do you counterpick?

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
I currently counterpick with Pokemon Stadium 1 because I just plain like the stage and I actually do well on it.

Though Ima start playing on Lylat Cruise more because it seems as Sheik's best stage because:

1. Sheik can recover better; she has a better chance of landing on 1 of the platforms on the stage for a safer recovery. Also the offstage "space" is smaller compared to Battlefield and Final Destination.

2. If the stage is tilted (Or middle platform) (I pretty sure about this) You can get a tipper usmash kill

3. Using the chain to edgeguard could really screw up some characters recovery like for example.....Diddy, Luigi (I dont know) (Chain jacket edgeguard anyone?!)

4. Some of Sheik's harder matchups are made better because some characters suck on Lylat (compared to the other stages at least) Like Snake and Falco

Anyway point of this thread is to share your opionion of what you counterpick with Sheik and state some reason of why you do it.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I like how you keep us discussing.
There isn't much activity here. There is like 6 people that know what they are doing and everyone else is trying to catch up.
The many hours of talking to Tristan about Sheik (probably around 13 hours or better) has taught me a bunch of stuff. Then of course you have less the three (<3) and he is like the guy who knows stuff that others don't. So those two are basically my mentors.

Hmmmm... Sheik does really well with platform stages.

Really her only three big problems are "light", "has a semi poor recovery" and "people have stupid CG's on her".
To try and get around the CG's I would choose Norfair.
If Norfair is Banned go with Lylat or YI (Lylat more though) since their terrain mess's up grabs sometimes.
Sheik also excels at platform pressure and all of those stages have platforms, so shoot for them.
In fact, I would try to avoid SV and FD all together. She will do better at BF, YI, Norfair and Lylat.
I will also put in a honorable mention to Brinstar.

But all and all, if you counter pick Norfair it will take care of all of your problems.
Recovery= lava from below
CG's= stay mobile on the platforms and use tether mind games. If they do grab you they have little floor to work with.

That is my opinion.

Icyo

Smash Ace
What about Brinstar for getting around CG's? It has snot, the little baracades, and to top it off: you have 3 platforms!

As far as platforms go, does anyone else feel that the more you have the better it is? On stages like Yoshi's and Halberd you have one long one where you can only run off in two places opposed to others that give you 6.

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
True on the Norfair part but most tournies these days ban Norfair so Im resorting to Lylat lol

And thanks on the part when you said I keep us disscussing.

I can also say everybody has something they dont wanna share with others, keep it for their own benefit (even me hehehe) so yea you'd be surprised at how many people have things up their sleves

@Icyo - Yoshi's Island's platforms are kinda risking though because if you playing against someone that knows how to keep their cool under pressure they're gonna counter attack you with a bair and usually that results in a death for you, especially if your fighting strong characters like Snake, Marth, or Falco

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
What about Brinstar for getting around CG's? It has snot, the little baracades, and to top it off: you have 3 platforms!
vvvvvvvvv
I will also put in a honorable mention to Brinstar.
True on the Norfair part but most tournies these days ban Norfair so Im resorting to Lylat lol

And thanks on the part when you said I keep us disscussing.

I can also say everybody has something they dont wanna share with others, keep it for their own benefit (even me hehehe) so yea you'd be surprised at how many people have things up their sleves

@Icyo - Yoshi's Island's platforms are kinda risking though because if you playing against someone that knows how to keep their cool under pressure they're gonna counter attack you with a bair and usually that results in a death for you, especially if your fighting strong characters like Snake, Marth, or Falco
I hope not... that's our **** stage.

yw

true dat

? The idea is to remove CG's from the picture.
Being punished by Bair is universal.
And Marth is only strong when he hits you with his tip..per.

Sheik can also do wall games at YI.

Judo777

Smash Master
Norfair is almost always a good pick. You have multiple tether choices low ceiling in certain spots and you can combo off the lava not to mention if anyone is dumb enough to go into pod when the lava wave comes tilt lock the piss out of em. Plus it helps with the CG problem. Also because of the platforms vanish is relatively safe. But i dont recommend taking luigi here as i believe he is better than u on this stage.

YI is good except that if they grab the ledge and u need to vanish recover the slants on the sides can actually cause u to slide off the stage and die. This can be used to your advantage tho as u can vanish on stage and appear and slide off onto the ledge for a safe kill move.

Lylat is pretty good as it gives people with poor recovery more to think about when your trying to gimp them. However it does make vanishing to the ledge alot riskier so try not to have to do that much.

Halberd is one of my favorites as it has a low ceiling, and transforms to mess up chain grabs occaisonally and also the stage interferes some. The ledges arent too hard to vanish too here and the platform in the middle is great. Also i dont think the dip in the middle interferes much with needle camping.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Chok once talked about before that on stages that have platforms like Battle Field and Lylat, Sheik can use her vanish glide from the platform for an unexpected kill. I think East (or was it <3?) was talking about how you can vanish glide from one of the side platforms of BF and reappear onto any of the platforms or on the stage.

I usually cp a neutral level where needle camping and grab release kills are made easier. Also, MAYBE Pictochat because cart/missile/random plant with teeth/balls of fire/spike combos are fun. :)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Halberd is easily my favorite stage. The ceiling being terribly low makes for really early tipper kills and the stage is really large and has a platform........good Sheik stage. Castle Siege, Luigi's(not legal in most cases), and Brinstar allow Sheik to decay her ftilt. Battlefield is her best neutral. Norfair is good, it's legal in my state so i've played on it a few times.

Tristan recommended Japes to me over AIM and i'm finding that I love the stage. Sheik can survive longer there and she can do a bunch of crazy **** with the chain. If you get a lead you can easily camp the right side of the stage there.

Sheik really doesn't have any terrible stages that I can think of.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Halberd is easily my favorite stage. The ceiling being terribly low makes for really early tipper kills and the stage is really large and has a platform........good Sheik stage. Castle Siege, Luigi's(not legal in most cases), and Brinstar allow Sheik to decay her ftilt. Battlefield is her best neutral. Norfair is good, it's legal in my state so i've played on it a few times.

Tristan recommended Japes to me over AIM and i'm finding that I love the stage. Sheik can survive longer there and she can do a bunch of crazy **** with the chain. If you get a lead you can easily camp the right side of the stage there.

Sheik really doesn't have any terrible stages that I can think of.
Port Town Aero Dive

Other then that sheik is a character that does well on many stages but the fact of the matter is that other characters can do even better on whatever stage you pick. The trick is knowing when to give sheik an upgrade in killing power and when to give a downgrade to others...like Snake.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Only problem with Snake on Japes is he has a dthrow infinite on the left and right platforms......

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Only problem with Snake on Japes is he has a dthrow infinite on the left and right platforms......
True...also if he puts a C4 on the middle platform he more or less owns it although sheik can just camp on the far right so it's not that big of a deal. Speaking of which a little trick that works well on japes is full hopping needle storm by the time you land you have no lag although the timing of the needles are very strict.

If I recall correctly steel2nd taught me that.

Judo777

Smash Master
Port Town Aero dive is legal? i didn't know that. Also i would say that sheik can have a rough time on frigate if they get you off the right side.

iLight

Smash Lord
my favorite CP's include

BF - ZSS/Pit/ROB
PS1 - Wario/Marth/Peach
Lylat - Peach/Marth/Pikachu
Delfino - Olimar/Falco
Halberd - Everyone except - Wario/MK/Pit/ROB
FD - Everyone except - Olimar/IC's/Diddy/Falco
Jungle Japes - Olimar/Pit/Snake/Diddy/D3
Frigate Orpheon - ROB/Peach/Olimar/Pit

all very character dependant as you see i listed what characters i do what against, also kind of person dependant lol

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I usually go for lylat cruise, unless its olimar/IC. In that case I go for rainbow cruise

olimar and IC cant do what makes them annoying in RC. and the reasons you mentioned in LC.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
going Jungle Japes for olimar is amazing.

if olimar ever falls in the water, all his pikmin instantly die, also its a good stage for camping him
I've fought a good olimar before on jungle japes, I got *****. You can't camp at all on that stage against him so you are force a lot of the time to be offensive, which isn't good.

how do you fight him on that stage light?

iLight

Smash Lord
take lead with needles or something, then spam nair till he's forced to approach and punish, or just spam rapid jabs because that also destroys pikmin

also falling through platform in the center with aerials is ****

-Mars-

Smash Hero
If I run into an Olimar saturday if I get the lead i'm going to pull out the chain. Especially if i'm on a large stage like Japes if I sit on the right or left platforms he cant grab me out of the chain so pretty much he couldn't do anything........correct?

Also Light has interesting cp's lol. BF against ZSS? That is definitely personal preference although BF is a really good Sheik stage so I can see where you're coming from.

Judo777

Smash Master
i play a good olimar somewhat often and he's pretty good on japes. A few tips on this specific fight. If he is on a side platform which they like to go(the right one anyway) then you can double jump needles. Another thing olimars like to do on the small platforms is jump under and uair through the floor. If they aren't expecting it or u see it coming if you vanish on the platform when they uair it will bounce them off the top of the platform and they will die. Most importantly you can't chain camp on the side platforms because they can get up attack u every time from the ledge.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
If I run into an Olimar saturday if I get the lead i'm going to pull out the chain. Especially if i'm on a large stage like Japes if I sit on the right or left platforms he cant grab me out of the chain so pretty much he couldn't do anything........correct?
That's exactly what I thought!

No it's not safe he can jump under the platform and uair you though it and then up B to grab th ledge without touching the water.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i almost always pick battlefield, unless its peach

for peach i pick fd and smashville

oh and for snake i pick smashville

neutrals baby

for ddd i pick yoshis because i **** him there lol

Top Bottom