• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is/was your favorite method of getting information on video games in the past?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, in the past, before things like the Internet, or at least before the Internet was big, we have had to use things like magazines and maybe other sources of the like for video game information. Cheats, news, previews, reviews, that was all in the likes of magazines. This includes things like Nintendo Power, Electronic Gaming Monthly and other things that may have given us news on such things. There were also things like strategy guides.

Nowadays, we rely more on things such as the Internet itself and presentations shown on the internet, such as State of Play from Playstation and obviously enough, Nintendo Directs. Unlike the magazines and the like, these presentations are fewer in number per year, and it is possible for them to get leaked. Plus, there are Youtube videos and all that can be used as strategy guides nowadays.

So, whether it is for the good old times or the newer times, whatever is...or was your preference, tell me: Which method of receiving news and other information on video games do you happen to like more? The old fashion magazines and strategy guides or the newer Internet and presentations/videos? Or maybe something else if it exists?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Back during the 90's when I was young, I do remember a time when my father purchased the "N64 Magazine" is when I started purchasing other video game magazines from the Official Nintendo UK magazine, the Official Playstation magazine and the Games Master magazine which is where I keep up to date with new information for games at the time.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
I was a Nintendo Power kid myself. Strangely, I don't even remember subscribing to it - The February 2010 issue just kinda showed up in my mailbox one day and it was the highlight of my month ever since right up until the end. Still have most of the issues I had as a kid, and I've bought a few second-hand.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I'm not quite sure if I count here, because my own experiences were pretty unorthodox and (in the grand scheme of things) quite recent, but pretty much my only methods of regularly getting information on video games used to either be word of mouth of some form, or through catalogues (with the Argos catalogue being a highlight on so many levels!)

The only real exceptions to this were when I briefly attended a holiday club sort of thing one summer where they had a laptop containing Project64 and several N64 ROMs (my introduction to emulation!) and also occasionally popping into Game or CEX if we were near one, on the rare occasion I was actually allowed to pop in while everyone else was in a nearby shop for clothes or something.

Admittedly, I totally missed out on the gaming magazine scene, with the sole exception of occasionally reading tech magazines when waiting for a dentist's appointment or something. (Funnily enough, it was in one of those tech magazines I "discovered" the Dreamcast.)

In terms of my favourite... getting any information at all was kind of a guilty pleasure at that time. Though, I have fond memories of poring through catalogues and circling funky trinkets I'd never, ever be allowed to actually buy.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I had Game Informer until the late 2000s/early 2010s. Still mainly got my information from google & forums back then though with social media like reddit & twitter being added more recently.

Last edited:

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
i used to make stuff up and believe it and tell others too

Top Bottom