• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is holding you guys back?

napZzz

Smash Hero
marth IS that good

our brawl communitys metagame is just horribly unbalanced and marth lacks rep

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Have you guys even watched Tearbear?

He throws Fsmashes out like they are nothing. There is no character that I know of that can abuse an error margin like that.

Of course MK doesn't technically have an error margin because the character itself has very few errors that can only be abused when the player makes a mistake.

Some characters get an automatic 15% on another just because thats how the character is made. Like how MK has grab release problems.

And the reason Marth has no rep is due to how hard he is to play at a high level.

"MK is not strictly a better version of marth, marth can do some things better than MK can and some of MK's strengths are nothing like marth at all

I also question MK having the biggest error margin, I don't think bad/average MK's are very threatening at all, he's just amazing when played at a high level(not making errors)"

MK's strengths are nothing like ours at all? Go use his dtilt. Ring a bell? Go look at his Up-B what other character shoots up into the air with a crescent moon shape?

MK's strengths:
Gimping
Recovery
Range
Low Lag moves
GREAT kill moves
Spammable moves
Tornado - The answer to an opponent in the air
Great set of B moves
OoS options
Stage choices that are built for him
Great tilts
Great aerials
Abusable smashes

Cons:
slow aerial movement
Transcendant priority(Blessing and a curse)
Grab Releases
Light(blessing and curse)

What exactly does Marth do better that MK can't that would be worth giving up all of MK's glory?

And when I think of error margin im thinking short term not long term. Who else can randomly spam dsmash, fsmash, and tilts?

But yeah Snake has great ability to come back in a match. And MK doesn't literally have the biggest error margin but its up there.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Have you guys even watched Tearbear?

He throws Fsmashes out like they are nothing. There is no character that I know of that can abuse an error margin like that.
a lot of players that use a lot of characters use one or two safe attacks repeatedly. ever seen any falco ever using lasers?

MK's strengths are nothing like ours at all? Go use his dtilt. Ring a bell? Go look at his Up-B what other character shoots up into the air with a crescent moon shape?
didn't say there was no similarity, I said that they aren't the same

What exactly does Marth do better that MK can't that would be worth giving up all of MK's glory?
marth has better walk speed, his shield is more resistant to poking, better air momentum, better shield advantage typically on aerials(particularly on MK's fair and dair vs marth's nair and fair), better standing grab range, better pivot grab, better range on aerials, dragon punch invincibility starts 4 frames faster than MK's, chain grabs and grab releases...obviously MK is a much superior character, but to state that MK is simply an improved marth is clearly incorrect, marth does possess attractive qualities that MK does not that may cause some people to prefer marth

And when I think of error margin im thinking short term not long term. Who else can randomly spam dsmash, fsmash, and tilts?
randomly spam dsmash? really?

etecoon

Smash Hero
go eat ****
well that wasn't at all a gross overreaction

and you can hide behind "it's my opinion! opinions can never be wrong!" but when you're making statements like "Anyone choosing Marth over MK in a competitive scene at the thought that Marth will have a better chance is STUPID", yes people are going to take issue with that. there are a lot of people who've tried MK and done badly compared to their inferior previous main

took me forever to find it but I thought I'd also point out that I used to think very similarly, really I think it's a mindset you just need to grow out of

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I do not mean to apply that everyone is going to do better with MK than any other character. Im just saying that MK is a better character than everyone except for roughly 3-5 Chars on paper.

People will prefer a character over another due to how they want to play, their emotions, how they think, what they like, and what personality defines them.

Yeah that was an over-reaction. Sorry. I just get pissed and over-heated. Damn, i need to take 40 minutes off before I post **** like that.

But your post really came off as if you were trying to be an ***.

And that quote was really meant as a character. Kabag prefers Marth because he works better with marth's tools. But Marth as a character is not going to have success like a character as MK.

Sorry.

And I'd like to say that if im still stuck in a certain mindset and im rooting for MK then why am i still a marth main?

∫unk

Smash Master
1. Mike is by far the best Marth. Show me a video that might come close to Mike's skill level in terms of amount of reads. No combo videos please.

2. The key difference between America's campy playstyle and Europe's attacking style is what they're looking for. Top European players mostly try to hit/grab people, balancing unpredictability and follow up potential. This general mindset is what helps European Marth's do relatively better, especially vs MK.

Top Americans think about that, but they also think about counteracting (position and move choice) from a highly probable attack. This is because the reward and safety on this maneuver is HIGHER than always looking for attack opportunities.

3. Marth is not a successful tournament character. If you're playing him it's cause you think he's tight and you have fun playing him. I don't think there's a such thing as natural main... if you really wanted to have a stronger MK than Marth you could.

/popcorn read

Mr-R

Smash Champion
HEY......

he should be allowed to link a combo video :@

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
1. Mike is by far the best Marth. Show me a video that might come close to Mike's skill level in terms of amount of reads. No combo videos please.
Yea, this is completely inarguable at this point. You just can't look at the stats and shake your head, he has way more quality wins than any other Marth.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
3. Marth is not a successful tournament character. If you're playing him it's cause you think he's tight and you have fun playing him. I don't think there's a such thing as natural main... if you really wanted to have a stronger MK than Marth you could.

/popcorn read
I'm so mad.

Top Bottom