• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

Ola

Smash Rookie
Removed backwards compatibility with gameboy games from the DS. On the GBA, you could play the original GB games, but not on the DS.

Nino Rybicki

Smash Cadet
Pulling out of Brazil TWICE. Yes, there's plenty of people here who can afford video games. Brazil isn't Zimbabwe.

Other than that, I'm also kinda annoyed that they did away with the female Triathletes in Pokemon ORAS. Now Cycling Road is a sausage fest. I mean, Hex Maniacs kind of made female Psychics redundant, but I don't see why the female Triathletes were removed. (Though at least we now have Delinquents and Fairy Tale Girls.)

Last edited:

Reggie Amiibo

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpadgerBadger
3DS FC
5472-6503-9144
Nintendo has upset me by doing the following things.

Not enough amiibo produced for characters like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.
No Battle Frontier in OR/AS.
Region locking.
Cutting Wolf in Smash.
Not making a new Metroid game for 5 years.
Delaying Flipnote Studio 3D for so long.
Removing SpotPass functionality in Nintendo Letter Box.
Not listening to fan ideas.
Not making a new Advance Wars for 7 years.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Also, for cancelling Nintendo Power. That was a good (biased) magazine that I always enjoyed reading.

EDIT: Also, since Pokemon Gen 3 has been remade and GBA games are non-playable by the current system, does that mean the Gen 1 remakes will be remade? Will we see Pokemon Fiery Fire Red and Pokemon Leafy Leaf Green? If so, will we see Pokemon Extra-Fiery Fiery Fire and Pokemon Super-Leafy Leaf Green in another 10 years?

They kind dug themselves into a hole with the remake idea...

Last edited:

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
Also, for cancelling Nintendo Power. That was a good (biased) magazine that I always enjoyed reading.
I loved getting those magazines in the mail. I looked through them every single day of the week whenever they showed up in my mailbox.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
-Sold Rare out
-Refused to touch Donkey Kong Country untill they gave the project to Retro Studios
-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat in general, as it was a big middle finger to anyone loving the Rare DKCs.
-Milking out on New Super Mario Bros.
-Not bringing FE12 to the West.
-Diddy's demotion to being a mere 'power up' to DK in the DKCR games, and him being totally outshined by Dixie and Cranky in Tropical Freeze
-Too much focus on what makes easy money, not what fans really want

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
The fact that Nintendo thinks it's still in the 80's & 90's despite it being the 21st century. I don't mind them still catering to kids, but they also need to cater to the older audience more.

Twewy

Smash Lord
The fact that Nintendo thinks it's still in the 80's & 90's despite it being the 21st century. I don't mind them still catering to kids, but they also need to cater to the older audience more.
Because Bayonetta 1+2 was for the children.

I'm a bit disappointed that they're not releasing Majora's Mask as part of the Majora's Mask New 3DS thing, personally. It's just kind of dumb. Same with the Majora's Mask pin for Codename S.T.E.A.M.

TheDongWV

Skronky Dong Country
Purifying in the waters of Lake Minnetonka
NNID
illxblood
-Releasing freakin' Wii games on the eShop when they haven't even released any N64 or Gamecube titles for the Wii U VC.
-Not releasing any new F-Zero game
-Not producing a large amount of some Amiibos
-Thinking that a group of 4 people gather around and play games instead of playing online a lot

finalark

SNORLAX

Nintendo has made or published plenty of games for older fans. The only reason why people think Nintendo is the "kiddie" company is because SEGA slapped that label on them back in the early 90s and their rivals ran with it. Besides, kids don't play Nintendo games anymore. They all play Call of Duty and Minecraft.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The amiibo problem definitely is annoying. I never wanted to collected all of them, just some characters I ilked, and they're pretty hard to find. I'm pretty much passing on buying any because of it. A bit disappointing considering other countries have a pretty good supply.

finalark

SNORLAX
I second @ Minato Minato on this one. Getting memorabilia from Nintendo franchises outside of Mario and Zelda is near impossible and I was hoping to get some Fire Emblem stuff via Amiibos but with the way Nintendo is handling them it's near impossible. I've just given up on it.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I just want my Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt amiibos.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I just want my Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt amiibos.
It'd be a bit hard to create Mr. Game & Watch (a 2D being) in 3D. He would have to contain no space on one of the three axises, so unless you can change the laws of physics, it would be impossible.

I'd like a 3D representation of G&W, though. That'd be nice.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This whole YouTube Creators thing is a step in the right direction for Nintendo...who shouldn't have really made any steps in that territory to begin with. First off, you really didn't need to put copyright on Let's Plays and stuff, that's just silly. It's free advertising. While the Creators program helps give the creator of the video some revenue, it really should have just gone back to what they were making before all this happened. And Nintendo didn't expect there to be such an influx of people, so their site got bogged down. Coincidentally, that happened with the CLOSING SALE BLOWOUT that is the eShop (still have to register like 15 things, whoops). And while Amiibos being limited is a smart move, it's still semi-douchy. And then there's the New 3DS that doesn't come with a power cord, hahaha

I love Nintendo a lot, but sometimes their decisions are just odd as hell

ThePikaWither

Smash Rookie
NNID
IAmAnUmbreon123
3DS FC
3668-9323-0098
That:
1. They made Wii U Miiverse better than 3DS
2. That they made a 'New 3DS' when they could have put whatever new content it adds in the ORIGINAL 3DS!!!

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
That:
1. They made Wii U Miiverse better than 3DS
2. That they made a 'New 3DS' when they could have put whatever new content it adds in the ORIGINAL 3DS!!!
The Wii U is actually capable of a better miiverse. Anything ported from the Wii U to the 3DS will be worse, its inevitable.

More powerful content and additional buttons + improve 3D capabilities can be added to our old 3DS's via update? News to me.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
How about the unexcusable absence of a new Chibi-Robo game in 7 years? And we haven't had a good one since the original. Hell I'd even be happy with an HD/3D remake.

CArniE

Smash Cadet
NNID
TokioCore
When I bought my Wii U i kept getting some error message about memory space, and i was on hold for like 2 hours with customer service :x.

ThePikaWither

Smash Rookie
NNID
IAmAnUmbreon123
3DS FC
3668-9323-0098
Ah. :p

Also, that they ripped us all off with F3D, because I heard that there would be no online. Correct me if I'm wrong, just going by what I heard from Miiverse users.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The one thing Nintendo does to piss me off is release their consoles with s*** for memory space. How the hell are they going to release such crappy memory real estate when they have a whole freakin' library of Wii U and virtual console titles ready to be downloaded?! I redeemed 600 Club Nintendo coins to get Game & Wario, and the size of the game is larger than a completely empty Wii U! The hell is that all about?!

One would need to get an external hard drive, and personally, I don't want to have to do that (though I still plan on getting a 1TB hard drive anyway)! The PS3 during its initial launch had about 36GB of data, and compared to Nintendo consoles, that's extremely generous. Hell, my phone, which is many times smaller than the Wii U, is far superior in data space at 128GB, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is bull****.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
- Mario and Luigi: Dream Team had way too many tutorials. Would have liked to skip them. Also some of the boss fights sucked because the stylus/blowing wouldn't always register.

- Too many NSMB games. They're pretty much all the same game with only a few differences between them.

- The pokemon games' Mega Evolution is probably the worst idea yet introduced to the franchise. Pokemon who don't need a Mega get them, while pokemon who do get nothing. While it's pretty subjective on which pokemon need a Mega, it's because of this reason that it shouldn't have been introduced to begin with, let alone the fact that they are way too OP. Also, alot of the Megas look really ugly and over-designed. (Let me add that I like some of the Mega designs such Scizor and Beedrill.)

- The fact that Smash 3DS exists. It ate up so much development for the Wii U and also led to Ice Climbers being cut, even though I'm not particularly fond of them. Then we have characters put in that really dont belong because of Sakurai's bias, like Dark Pit, or simply characters who don't make sense, like Duck Hunt Dog. These character slots very well could have been taken up by more deserving characters. We also get Smash Run on 3DS instead of being on the Wii U version which has the garbage Smash Tour. If I wanted to play Mario Party style game, I would play Mario Party. Speaking of...

- the Mario Party series is trash. Stop with the 4 players in one kart business Nintendo! Also stop introducing new playable characters in one game then removing them the next game. Would also like to play mini-games after every turn too, which has been removed. Now you have to land on a mini-game space. Just go back to the traditional board game gameplay in Mario Party 1-5.

- Where is my Golden Sun sequel? I loved every GS game but it would be nice to have it conclude at some point. I don't want it to be like Final Fantasy with a gazillion new games.

- Mario. Kart. 8. is. absolutely. disgusting. What a sorry excuse for a game. The item distribution was obviously deliberately screwed up in order to stop competitive play, but now because of that the game is even worse. So much so that the game is literally frustratingly infuriating to play and is no longer fun at all. There's also the roster of characters which is extremely disappointing, along with the imbalance between all the characters. Heavyweights are unsurprisingly going to be many player's main choice of character since using anything below is asking to lose. There are alot of other things I could rant about with this game, but it would take too much time so I will just end on the note that I don't recommend anyone buying MK8. Ever.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
My issues are:

1. Their inability to understand the internet, regarding Youtube. Their Creator's Program is one that will literally take away your money if you'd let them. They dictate what you upload, what you say, and what games you'll be able to play. Oh and if you make them have full control of your channel, they'll monetize all your videos - even the ones that aren't Nintendo related! Let's hope it changes before it's brought out fully.

2. The account system is awful. The fact it's connected to your console means that if I buy another system, I'll need to call Nintendo and have them move my NNID from the old one to the new one. They made it so that no two systems will have the same NNID, to prevent identity theft, but it's an annoying process to do as you'd have to call, wait, talk, and then do the stupid process. Also, if you somehow get your Wii U stolen, you'd have to file a police report, send that to Nintendo, and they'll help you deactivate that system and everything in it. Too much work.

3. Region-locking. It shouldn't even be used anymore at this point. Their constant excuse is, "We have to use it due to different cultures in various regions," or something to that note. It's an archaic policy that should have died during the 7th gen consoles.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
My issues are:

1. Their inability to understand the internet, regarding Youtube. Their Creator's Program is one that will literally take away your money if you'd let them. They dictate what you upload, what you say, and what games you'll be able to play. Oh and if you make them have full control of your channel, they'll monetize all your videos - even the ones that aren't Nintendo related! Let's hope it changes before it's brought out fully.

2. The account system is awful. The fact it's connected to your console means that if I buy another system, I'll need to call Nintendo and have them move my NNID from the old one to the new one. They made it so that no two systems will have the same NNID, to prevent identity theft, but it's an annoying process to do as you'd have to call, wait, talk, and then do the stupid process. Also, if you somehow get your Wii U stolen, you'd have to file a police report, send that to Nintendo, and they'll help you deactivate that system and everything in it. Too much work.

3. Region-locking. It shouldn't even be used anymore at this point. Their constant excuse is, "We have to use it due to different cultures in various regions," or something to that note. It's an archaic policy that should have died during the 7th gen consoles.
So much of this post like wow. I love Nintendo, but they do things in such ass backwards ways sometimes.

finalark

SNORLAX
What has Nintendo done to upset you?..... hmm how aboouuuut EVERYTHING EXEPT 4 SMASH BROTHERS
Riving the game industry? Expanding local multiplayer on the N64? Making 16-Bit portable with the GBA? Coming out with top quality games consistently? Man, you sure are picky.

EDIT:

On a serious note here, let's talk about how Nintendo has made it apartment time and time again that they have no idea how to handle third parties.

Back in the NES days they were pretty ruthless. If you signed on to make games for the NES that usually meant you could ONLY make games for the NES. Not only that, but you could only produce a certain amount of games for it each year (although they did some times make exceptions for notable developers). To be fair, this is entirely under the premise of quality control, the lack of which had killed the industry in the west.

Then we get to the SNES. Despite it having superior hardware to the Genesis, Nintendo wanted to keep their squeaky-clean image and often forced devs to heavily censor their games. Meanwhile, their competition snatched up devs left and right with their liberal policies on game content and willingness to focus on older audiences. Does help that the Genesis was (apparently) easier to develop for.

After that we finally arrive at the point of no return, the N64 era. I know that many people forget this due to either being too young to understand or simply cloaking the console in a veil of nostalgia but back in the day the N64 was known as "that console that has a few really good games a year but absolutely nothing else." This is because Nintendo insisted on holding onto their dated cartridges, which retailed for $20 more than PS1 and Saturn games (PS1 and SAT games were $40 while N64 games were $60), and cost third parties more to develop for. It doesn't help that Nintendo refused to show third parties how to optimize the cartridges, which is why all first party titles looked great while everything not by Nintendo looked like a PS1 game running at a low frame rate. It doesn't help that Sony offered friendly, easy-to-use dev kits and cheap disks, causing the console to be the most supported that gen.

The GCN era was pretty much a repeat of this. Sure, they had Capcom's blessing but Capcom ended up porting damn near all of their "exclusive" GCN games (save for the REmake and RE0) to the PS2 anyway. The Wii was too damn gimmicky for its own good, devs failed to find creative ways to implement its technology leading to the console's infamous shovelware library due to its low speaks making it very easy to throw out a quick, garbage game onto.

And now we're at the Wii U. Which have the problem of devs not knowing how to implement its technology into their games. Once again, we get a console that has a handful of fantastic games every year but not much else.

Last edited:
Riving the game industry? Expanding local multiplayer on the N64? Making 16-Bit portable with the GBA? Coming out with top quality games consistently? Man, you sure are picky.

EDIT:

On a serious note here, let's talk about how Nintendo has made it apartment time and time again that they have no idea how to handle third parties.

Back in the NES days they were pretty ruthless. If you signed on to make games for the NES that usually meant you could ONLY make games for the NES. Not only that, but you could only produce a certain amount of games for it each year (although they did some times make exceptions for notable developers). To be fair, this is entirely under the premise of quality control, the lack of which had killed the industry in the west.

Then we get to the SNES. Despite it having superior hardware to the Genesis, Nintendo wanted to keep their squeaky-clean image and often forced devs to heavily censor their games. Meanwhile, their competition snatched up devs left and right with their liberal policies on game content and willingness to focus on older audiences. Does help that the Genesis was (apparently) easier to develop for.

After that we finally arrive at the point of no return, the N64 era. I know that many people forget this due to either being too young to understand or simply cloaking the console in a veil of nostalgia but back in the day the N64 was known as "that console that has a few really good games a year but absolutely nothing else." This is because Nintendo insisted on holding onto their dated cartridges, which retailed for $20 more than PS1 and Saturn games (PS1 and SAT games were $40 while N64 games were $60), and cost third parties more to develop for. It doesn't help that Nintendo refused to show third parties how to optimize the cartridges, which is why all first party titles looked great while everything not by Nintendo looked like a PS1 game running at a low frame rate. It doesn't help that Sony offered friendly, easy-to-use dev kits and cheap disks, causing the console to be the most supported that gen.

The GCN era was pretty much a repeat of this. Sure, they had Capcom's blessing but Capcom ended up porting damn near all of their "exclusive" GCN games (save for the REmake and RE0) to the PS2 anyway. The Wii was too damn gimmicky for its own good, devs failed to find creative ways to implement its technology leading to the console's infamous shovelware library due to its low speaks making it very easy to throw out a quick, garbage game onto.

And now we're at the Wii U. Which have the problem of devs not knowing how to implement its technology into their games. Once again, we get a console that has a handful of fantastic games every year but not much else.
i understand where youre coming from, but it was just a joke, i like most of the aspects of nintendo but the one thing i hate SO MUCH is when they make an exlusinve, sure its rare and yeah its cool to have, but nintendo would get more money if the exlusives were only "exlusive" for a certain period of time.

finalark

SNORLAX
i understand where youre coming from, but it was just a joke, i like most of the aspects of nintendo but the one thing i hate SO MUCH is when they make an exlusinve, sure its rare and yeah its cool to have, but nintendo would get more money if the exlusives were only "exlusive" for a certain period of time.
Exclusives are rare now? ****, times have changed.

Anyway, exclusives are a good thing for Nintendo. Frankly speaking, we have two extremely similar consoles out on the market right now and one oddball console. If I want my big budget Final Fantasy or Metal Gear games I can just pick up an Xbone or a PS4. But the only way I'm getting Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid and other Nintendo treasures is on their console. I really doubt that publishing their games on their competitors consoles is really in their best interest, since all they'd be doing is giving people less incentive to buy their consoles. Besides, you could make the argument that they would make more money going third party but financially speaking that really hasn't helped SEGA out all that much. Plus Nintendo has the tendency to make handhelds and consoles that sell really, really well. Sometimes on the console end of that argument.

Frankly speaking, it's always funny to me whenever I see gaming fans who started in the HD era flip out over something being exclusive. Makes me wonder how the HDites would survive in the climate of ten years ago when consoles were flat-out defined by their exclusives.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64

EDIT:

Frankly speaking, it's always funny to me whenever I see gaming fans who started in the HD era flip out over something being exclusive. Makes me wonder how the HDites would survive in the climate of ten years ago when consoles were flat-out defined by their exclusives.
What a nice little synopsis haha!! Also to add on to this was the huge falling out with what was then Squaresoft--although Nintendo wasn't completely in the wrong, its disputes with the and Sony lead to the development of the playstation. The fact that Nintendo stayed with cartridges that time was not the best move, as they had less space and were more to produce. though I did like the cartridges. <3

As for the last part, yeah. Remember when Soul Calibur II came out and it was the biggest deal ever? That's why exclusives used to be so hype haha

OliverTwist

Banned via Warnings
Two words: Internet lag,
seriously their way behind in online gaming! I mean, they could really do really way better if the gaming online didn't stuck but the lady is terrible for both ends.

Exclusives are rare now? ****, times have changed.

Anyway, exclusives are a good thing for Nintendo. Frankly speaking, we have two extremely similar consoles out on the market right now and one oddball console. If I want my big budget Final Fantasy or Metal Gear games I can just pick up an Xbone or a PS4. But the only way I'm getting Zelda, Fire Emblem, Metroid and other Nintendo treasures is on their console. I really doubt that publishing their games on their competitors consoles is really in their best interest, since all they'd be doing is giving people less incentive to buy their consoles. Besides, you could make the argument that they would make more money going third party but financially speaking that really hasn't helped SEGA out all that much. Plus Nintendo has the tendency to make handhelds and consoles that sell really, really well. Sometimes on the console end of that argument.

i started in the gam3boy 3ra , but yeah i see where ur goin

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
- Trying to kill PM.

- Putting a lot of questionable characters in Smash 4 over characters that could have been much better.

- On the topic of Smash 4, not having anything interesting about the game other than it's Online mode. Lack of an Adventure mode really hurts the game.

- Not giving Wii U owners an ambassador program when they slashed the Wii U price like they did with 3DS owners.

Those are the things that come to mind when I think of that. I could be forgetting some.

Top Bottom