• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What has Nintendo done to upset you?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
- Putting a lot of questionable characters in Smash 4 over characters that could have been much better.

- On the topic of Smash 4, not having anything interesting about the game other than it's Online mode. Lack of an Adventure mode really hurts the game.
I do agree that characters like Duck Hunt Dog feel like really bad choices while bringing Dr. Mario back for no reason despite the demand for Mewtwo (he's coming back as DLC thankfully). As for the latter, that's one of many reasons why I'm not playing Smash 4 all that much compared to other Wii U games I own. A lack of some kind of Adventure mode just makes the game itself feel barebones to me.

D

Deleted member

they changed the design of the new gamecube controllers and dont make them to a as high of a standard that the originals were made at, they have to go and make it so much harder just to find a brand new good working gc controller!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Not added Circle Pad Pro support to games that are now going to use the New 3DS C-stick. Project S.T.E.A.M, MM3D and Smash (although Sakurai said no processing power left) should give us the option of using our CPP for camera controls. Thank goodness Capcom still has the CPP support in MH4U.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
they changed the design of the new gamecube controllers and dont make them to a as high of a standard that the originals were made at, they have to go and make it so much harder just to find a brand new good working gc controller!
They probably want to switch away from a controller of a console they haven't supported in 9 years... Also, the Sm4sh controllers are made just like the White Nintendo ones and the only thing they changed in that one is taking away the metal rod in the R and L buttons. Honestly, the new Sm4sh controllers are near as high of a standard as the original controllers ever were.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Amiibo shortages are apparently largely fault of a massive strike at the west coast.
Or so I've heard.

Moux

Smash Rookie
Nintendo has not done much to really upset me. They have more irritated me than anything else. I actually enjoyed the new controller, since I somehow lost my old controllers over the years and now have access to a first party controller. I feel that Nintendo has a lot of catching up to do in the market and in terms of their marketing campaign. I loved Golden Sun and own Dark Dawn, but am sad they haven't said anything on the series. I feel them adding micro-transactions is utterly foolish, and pretty much the entire gaming industry for supporting this is just backwards. I feel like a lot of their games don't sell well due to the fact that they just aren't advertised. I also feel like the amiibo shortage is just poor planning on their part as well.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh right, a good time to vent for me in this thread. NoA not letting US people have this.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm sorry, do they want Xenoblade to be this obscure mythical game that commands a huge price forever?

Or maybe I'm just jelly. I think I'm just jelly.

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
Their marketing decisions is poor. They just need to take a lesson in Supply and Demand. As well offer their japan only products to all countries, such as the US.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Not showing Metroid much love lately.

But hey, they don't disappoint me as much as the following two companies

Activision (The CEO literally only cares about money and is milking COD dry)
EA (****ing Day one DLC on Hardline? I was planning on buying that game.... Well done, assholes. Also, Origin is a dumb idea because EA wants to control everything)

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Not showing Metroid much love lately.

But hey, they don't disappoint me as much as the following two companies

Activision (The CEO literally only cares about money and is milking COD dry)
EA (****ing Day one DLC on Hardline? I was planning on buying that game.... Well done, *******s. Also, Origin is a dumb idea because EA wants to control everything)
(Image related to EA won't post because of a forum filter.)

Transcription:
Man: So my Origin crashed and now I can't play any games anymore. What do I do?
EA: THE CHAT SESSION HAS ENDED
Man: ...but I paid for...
EA: GET OUT

Last edited:

Just A Leek

Smash Rookie
For sure, its gotta be not makin Waluigi a playable smash boy. They teased me when he was an assist trophy in brawl, Than i Sm4sh they let me down.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Nothing really to upset me, but I would love region unlocking on their platforms as well as a few extra features... but again, I've been following them since for 25 years.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Creating that super ugly Pokémon in Black and White and putting it in almost every single route of Unova to promote grinding. And on top of that, giving it a Mega Evolution four years later before any other Pokémon of its generation. :c

Also, creating many unfair and overpowered items in Smash Bros. like Dragoon, Ore Club, Beetle and Gust Bellows I have to deal with in Classic Mode. Those examples are so unfair there's zero fun involved in using them, even in the most casual battles. Also they made me rage so much while I was working on the 9.0 no death challenge.

finalark

SNORLAX
Creating that super ugly Pokémon in Black and White and putting it in almost every single route of Unova to promote grinding. And on top of that, giving it a Mega Evolution four years later before any other Pokémon of its generation. :c
You mean Audino, the exp punching bag?

Yeah, I had no problem with its design in Pokemon 5, mostly because I found it just kinda plain rather than ugly. But it's an exp pinata so I grew to like it. But I will agree that giving it a mega evolution was one of the most pointless things they've ever done with the series.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Ugly's such a strong & overused word.

I do understand why you don't like Audino, but to be fair, it does give off some good experience by beating it to death. I'd never understood Game Freak on why they gave Audino a Mega Evolution, though. From what I've seen, not many people use it for battles.

The only other Pokemon I can think of that shouldn't have Mega Evolutions either is Mewtwo. It's mainly due to being way too OP to even need two different Mega Evolutions.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The only other Pokemon I can think of that shouldn't have Mega Evolutions either is Mewtwo. It's mainly due to being way too OP to even need two different Mega Evolutions.
Mewtwo makes $, though; so they're going to capitalize on that and make him relevant again outside of the anime. :p

Besides that, you don't even need to use Mega Mewtwo X or Y; you only get Mewtwo in the post-game, and unless you want to battle competitively, that's it.
If anything, I think Garchomp had no reason to get a Mega Evolution, especially since it was the posterboy of OP Pokemon in Gen IV.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I'm disappointed with DLC characters coming to Smash 4. If we don't have both the Wii U and 3DS, we're forced to pay x amount of money to receive characters like Mewtwo, and if so, future DLC. What does this mean for tournaments? If a contender there only has a single version, and he/she refuses to purchase a DLC character, they could potentially have a disadvantage against their opponent using a DLC if they aren't familiar with its moves and attributes.

Overall, it's unfair that we have to pay hundreds of dollars for a console, and still be expected to buy another system with the same exact game to play as characters we like. Just supporting the Nintendo company by purchasing Smash 4 and a system in the first place should really be enough to have the privilege to simply receive an update with our new characters on it. I personally want to have a complete roster in my game, but I only have the 3DS version, so I guess I'll be buying DLC characters regardless of their price to maximize my playing experience.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I'm assuming that the DLC is going to be something like how they did Mario Kart 8's DLC, where you get a character and their trophies, some new stages and new music in one package. They're also probably going to be pretty cheap; $5 or so seems reasonable.

Nintendo's not like Activision on CoD, where you need to pay like $10 for a few maps. :p

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I would view having Mewtwo free for those who bought both games as more of a "Thanks for buying!" thing than a paid thing, as they could have just released him and made everyone pay

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
  • Nintendo's either refusal or inability to create an online system for their console with what are now basic utilities and options among their competition (PS4/XB1). Unified account system for online DLC purchases and ownership rights and stuff like party chat are probably the ones that bug me the most. It wouldn't bother me so much if online gaming was still in the new and unknown phase, but this stuff been mainstream for years now. All they had to do was look at what the competition was doing and realise 'Hey, that's probably a good basis for us to create our own system on'. I sometimes feel like Nintendo's so caught up doing their own thing they forget that not everything needs to be unique to be great, sometimes just ensuring you have your bases covered is all you need.
  • Underproduction of items. Gamecube adaptors? May as well be asking for unicorn tears. Amiibos? Pretty sure people will start trading their children for these things given how hard some of them are to find. All I want is DeDeDe, Lucina and Robin. Doubt I'll get any of them because people are mashing F5 on every online retailer's website to scoop up the limited supply and scalp it to people who actually want them for £40+.
  • Not bringing enough games to VC. Not having gamecube games on VC. I dearly want to play Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Not spending £250 to buy both of them though!
That's about it. Otherwise I'm pretty cool with Nintendo. They do good stuff with their games but some of the stuff they do just makes you scratch your head and wonder why.

finalark

SNORLAX
  • Not bringing enough games to VC. Not having gamecube games on VC. I dearly want to play Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Not spending £250 to buy both of them though!
This. I still own my copy of Path of Radiance but I lent my copy of Radiant Dawn anyway several years ago and I haven't seen it since. I'm glad they put Prime Trilogy up, but I'd really like them to the same for other hard to find Wii games. AKA Radiant Dawn and Xenoblade.

I also want to see more HD remakes of GCN games like what they did with Wind Waker. I still own most my old GCN games, except the ones I lent out that then never saw again or sold in my horrible "everything-I-liked-as-a-kid-is-stupid-now" phase I went through in middle school. But it would be nice to see some games get updated graphics and their flaws ironed out.

Plus I wanna play Luigi's Mansion again but I don't want to play $30+ for it. It's a good game, and I'd pick up a copy if it went for $20 but the game isn't good enough to justify a $30 price tag IMO.

D

Deleted member

Continuing Mario Party beyond 3. The money they put into near-annual sequels could go to games people would rather have, like a new Metroid game, a new F-Zero, or even a new Mother/Earthbound if they feel ambitious.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The money they put into near-annual sequels could go to games people would rather have, like a new Metroid game, a new F-Zero, or even a new Mother/Earthbound if they feel ambitious.
The creator of the Mother series says that there won't be any more nw games in that series, though. Metroid recently had a poorly-recieved big-budget game, so they'll be hesitant to use that series again for now, and F-Zero is probably never coming back thanks to Mario Kart. :p

We're getting a new Star Fox game, finally, so Nintendo seems to be trying to branch out of their recent practice of Popularity Spam.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Continuing Mario Party beyond 3. The money they put into near-annual sequels could go to games people would rather have, like a new Metroid game, a new F-Zero, or even a new Mother/Earthbound if they feel ambitious.
I still don't get why they're continuing Mario Party at all. I do agree that they should save the money on games that people actually want and not on what I consider to be a franchise zombie these days.

I'd stick with Mario Kart if that's okay with everybody. *shot for Sonic Colors reference*

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I still don't get why they're continuing Mario Party at all. I do agree that they should save the money on games that people actually want and not on what I consider to be a franchise zombie these days.

I'd stick with Mario Kart if that's okay with everybody. *shot for Sonic Colors reference*
Eh, at least 10 is shaking things up by finally letting us play as Bowser. :p

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Not releasing Mother and Mother in he USA, questionable characters in Smash, cutting characters in Smash, and making Black and White 2 (could of used a remake instead)
The reason Mother 3 never saw American release was because Earthbound itself sold horrendously badly in the West, though. Had it at least done decently, Mother 3 may have been localized.

As for Black 2 and White 2, the problem there is that they had already covered the first two generations, and the third generation wasn't quite old enough to need remakes at that time. They were literally unable to remake any other games, so going the sequel route was really their only other option.

The reason the Ice Climbers were cut was because the 3DS was having trouble with them, and Sakurai wanted to keep both versions consistent to keep the functionality of character transferring stable.

Lucas was no longer relevant, having starred in one Japan-only GBA title released half a decade ago at this point, so he was high on the chopping block. Wolf was probably cut due to time constraints more than anything else.

And with the Pokemon roster already at 5 (6 when Mewtwo is available), keeping Squirtle, Pichu and Ivysaur in the roster would have just caused an even bigger complaint of Pokemon being overrepresented in Smash. Adding every Pokemon character we've had into Smash gives us a total of 9 characters from the Pokemon universe, compared to Star Fox's 3, Mario's 14 (counting the Koopalings, Yoshi, Wario and Dr. Mario), Donkey Kong's 2, Kirby and Kid Icarus' 3 and Metroid's 1 (since Samus and Zero-Suit are the same person).

And I think that we got too much in the way of Kid Icarus' representation this time, personally; especially considering how historically insignificant the series is in comparison to other franchises with less in the way of playable representation.
The only newcomers that really should be playable at this point are Ridley and King K.Rool, especially since their series A) have very little in the way of fighters to begin with and B) are historically significant to a titanically more important degree than Kid Icarus or Kirby are; Donkey Kong Country was a pioneer for the SNES' graphical ability, and Metroid, in addition to being produced by Gunpei Yokoi, sported one of the most shocking video game reveals of all time and paved the way for female protagonists in video games to become a thing. Kid Icarus was a dead franchise that only recently got a new game and somehow has enough notability to not only get three playable characters, one of which is an almost-identical clone, but also an Assist Trophy, two stages and a large amount of Smash Run representation.

But hey, if Dark Pit can be his own character, why not make Dark Link, Mr. L and Shadow Mario their own unique fighters, since we obviously don't have enough representation of those two franchises? :rolleyes:

incaseyoucan'ttellimprettysouraboutdarkpitbeingplayable:p

finalark

SNORLAX
To be fair, it's been three years since the last Mario Party game.

Granted, they're still insisting on that awkward "semi-co-op" style game play that nobody likes. If Nintendo is going to keep going with Mario Party I'd rather it had the classic game play instead of constantly shifting gimmicks that exist to keep the series "fresh." I think that's my main problem I have with MP at this point. After the fifth game in the series none of the sequels felt like their were actually evolving from the previous. Instead it felt like they had a dart board with a bunch of ideas on it and then decided what the next game's gimmick would be based on where it landed.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo's relentless forgiveness is something I have a problem with. A lot of the main franchise games have been rather easy lately. Take NSMBU and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for example. Extremely easy to get lives so you'll have a hard time getting a game over. It wouldn't be a problem if the levels were harder, but since they're really family oriented franchises, the levels are simple. With Super Mario Sunshine and earlier games, there was a degree of challenge. Now, not so much. Donkey Kong Country on the SNES was a fun game that had its challenges. But the new Donkey Kong series, while fun, is not all that challenging. Unless you're trying to 100% the game.

finalark

SNORLAX
I actually thought DK Tropic Freeze was pretty challenging.

Then again, I made it a point to try and get KONG in every level for the sake of tradition, so that probably had something to do with it. Truthfully, though, I really don't remember DKC1 being all that hard either.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Nintendo seems to never stock their supplies for the amibos and GC adapters.

Top Bottom