• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happened to the tournaments?

BBQ°

Smash Champion
for crews, I have an idea.

3-5 good Melee players will become the crew captain. Preferable separated by region.

The crew captains invite BRAWL players to join their crew. The Brawl players must be bad at melee. These crews are not allowed to have any melee players!

The crew captains must be willing to travel to the brawl players' location and train them up. After a few months of training, the crews will fight each other.

Why this should work:
imo, in this point in melee's history, we need something new and fresh. Something to get us excited about because none of us know what to expect. If we make crews with -established- melee players, all of us already know what's going to happen! That gets stale.
If any of you have read Chillin's blog, you would know that crews back then were mad hype because no one was established. Anyone could've been the best back then. Everyone wanted the claim of best crew, so they worked for it. I think if we asked all the Brawl players if they would be willing to join a Melee crew, and then trained them, I think we can get a similar effect.

Hopefully these newly recruited brawl players will become melee tournament competitors as well.

I still don't completely see how this will revive the "old" melee scene, but I think if the community gained 15-20 new members, it would create a good short term effect for everyone.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I haven't read the whole thread so don't blow me up. But theres a pretty big chance that me and Seibrik will start hosting monthlies (of melee) at zp.

If you want to get brawl players into the scene, your going to have to stop the "BRAWL IS TERRIBLE LOLOLOL" train that gets thrown at around.

Purple

Hi guys!
I agree with Afro. You can't bash the game someone enjoys then ask them to play another game. I'd be cool for bbq's idea :)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
true that.

also, if Brawl players are willing to do this crew battle thing, I think it would be respectful (I guess?) if Melee players would do the same for Brawl. I know a few Melee players in GA that would be willing to do something like this (SleepyK, Fullmetal, me)

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
I haven't read the whole thread so don't blow me up. But theres a pretty big chance that me and Seibrik will start hosting monthlies (of melee) at zp.

If you want to get brawl players into the scene, your going to have to stop the "BRAWL IS TERRIBLE LOLOLOL" train that gets thrown at around.
This is actually a common misconception. Not ALL melee players hate brawl. I actually played brawl for a few weeks recently and enjoyed it. Most of the SFL melee players don't hate brawl.

I will be willing to attend monthlies. =) The main problem I have with melee is that it's kind of a last minute thing and my mom hates when I ask for a ride last minute but if I were to ask her ahead of time I would probably be able to go.

AfroQT

Smash Master
This is actually a common misconception. Not ALL melee players hate brawl. I actually played brawl for a few weeks recently and enjoyed it. Most of the SFL melee players don't hate brawl.

I will be willing to attend monthlies. =) The main problem I have with melee is that it's kind of a last minute thing and my mom hates when I ask for a ride last minute but if I were to ask her ahead of time I would probably be able to go.
Me and Seibrik will post up events with atleast 2 or 3 weeks notice, so hopefully thats good enough. And im not saying everyone bashes brawl, but enough melee players do that it turns brawlers off from melee.

황미영

Smash Champion
This sounds great. I've had so far just one small smashfest at my house (Kuya, SWD, Acedudeyeah, and the Winter Haven kidz showed up.), and I think I've posted at least two threads asking for people to come over and play. (Sadly, no response. ; 3; ) Idk, I'm trying to help out as well.

I live in an area extremely close to Ocoee. If anyone remembers the NOOB venue, I live about a five minute drive from there. (And like a 30 minute walk or so. xDDD) I'm always up for training in Melee or any other fighting game that I own. (Or you can bring some. xD) Just message me when anyone would like to come over, if you live in the area, that is.

Pi

Smash Hero
This sounds great. I've had so far just one small smashfest at my house (Kuya, SWD, Acedudeyeah, and the Winter Haven kidz showed up.), and I think I've posted at least two threads asking for people to come over and play. (Sadly, no response. ; 3; ) Idk, I'm trying to help out as well.

I live in an area extremely close to Ocoee. If anyone remembers the NOOB venue, I live about a five minute drive from there. (And like a 30 minute walk or so. xDDD) I'm always up for training in Melee or any other fighting game that I own. (Or you can bring some. xD) Just message me when anyone would like to come over, if you live in the area, that is.
hmmm i hadn't seen any of your threads otherwise i probably would have stopped by...

and while were on the topic we might wanna address another problem;
making people aware of where & when smash is happening

i know the ucf melee thread has numbers listed, which i think is a good idea

maybe someone could put together a general thread where people list the times/days they are available to smash, if they are down to smash for brawl/melee, and in what area they are down to smash in, and give their number or just a name to PM on

i know people don't check this board every day, and if they do maybe it's not to look for smashfests
but receiving a text/pm about a smashfest going down in the future probably is going to net more players to come by...

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
for crews, I have an idea.

3-5 good Melee players will become the crew captain. Preferable separated by region.

The crew captains invite BRAWL players to join their crew. The Brawl players must be bad at melee. These crews are not allowed to have any melee players!

The crew captains must be willing to travel to the brawl players' location and train them up. After a few months of training, the crews will fight each other.
This sounds like some minutemen jont from the revolutionary war.

....I'm down with this LOL

Two-Ell

Smash Master
hmmm i hadn't seen any of your threads otherwise i probably would have stopped by...

maybe someone could put together a general thread where people list the times/days they are available to smash, if they are down to smash for brawl/melee, and in what area they are down to smash in, and give their number or just a name to PM on

i know people don't check this board every day, and if they do maybe it's not to look for smashfests
but receiving a text/pm about a smashfest going down in the future probably is going to net more players to come by...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=70386
hi

Guys I'm ready to adapt/reconstruct the FL thread aaaaany time for Melee. It was BUILT on melee foundations. I'm going to be making a registration thread soon for you guys to do what you describe in your post there.

The thread also is almost always up to date with every Melee Tourney and smashfest I find on these boards. You guys just gotta work with me here and keep the posts and events coming. I'm here to help everyone comfortable and in the know for the scene in this state.

Oh and guys if you haven't already in here please give some thoughts on Afro's Tourney hosting in here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291796

황미영

Smash Champion

I posted two before. But AceDudeYeah was the one who posted the smashfest where you and everyone else came. (I bought us pizza and shiz. xDDD)

For me, if people would like to play just message me and if I can, people can come over.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Okay guys I'm going to be taking registrations for the new Melee Player Locator section in the FL thread tomorrow so keep an eye out on the ATL South board for the thread when I make it tomorrow. Encourage any FL players you know to reg so we get everyone and hopefully get some networking going on. I'll also be putting up an listings for people willing to run smashfests inside of the tournament listings section

:rosalina:

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Hey 2link small request to keep a copy of the old locator somewhere. Maybe in collapse tags at the bottom. I agree that it should be revamped but there's good information in their that might not necessarily be all useless.

Oh and thanks for all the work you do on the FL thread.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Oh Exach I was going to copy the old locator into a document and maybe copy it all into another post out of the way but linked to. I'll make sure to look over it all beforehand though.

also no problem I personally have fun doing all this stuff. I'm just hoping it's actually helping everyone. Thank you for starting the original one in the first place lol.

oh and congrats again~

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
This is great. I will be making an effort here in Tampa. Can't speak for tournaments here yet but I think a Tampa crew is overdue. I'll be Tampa's ride to tournaments.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292114

The New Melee Player Locator registration is up guys. Please post your info and whatever else you want to go along with it. I'll probably leave it up for a week. Please have anyone who is even remotely interested in FL Melee to register onto it. Help them make accounts if they don't have one. We want to have an idea who exactly we have here in the community that would be interested in attending events and playing the game.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
If I could host a tournament, there would be an amateur bracket for Gainesville unknowns vs Orlando unknowns vs SFL unknowns to see our apprentices bloodbath. I think we all know eachother well enough to tell who's a vet or not

Moses.

Smash Journeyman
I have a place in Gainesville that we can use to host tournaments whenever we want. It's my apartment complex's clubhouse. It could maybe fit 50 people comfortably.

Two things though: we MUST be out of the room by 10 PM. No exceptions. Also, there's like a $300 dollar security deposit we have to pay that we get back if the room goes undamaged. We would need to pool some money together for this.

I just need enough time beforehand to reserve the room. We would also need to bring chairs and tables. Here's a picture:

Two-Ell

Smash Master
That looks like an amazing venue. I may be doing something in the future where people can put out venues that can be used for tourneys and what not. Hold on to that man.

Linguini

Smash Master
I have a place in Gainesville that we can use to host tournaments whenever we want. It's my apartment complex's clubhouse. It could maybe fit 50 people comfortably.

Two things though: we MUST be out of the room by 10 PM. No exceptions. Also, there's like a $300 dollar security deposit we have to pay that we get back if the room goes undamaged. We would need to pool some money together for this.

I just need enough time beforehand to reserve the room. We would also need to bring chairs and tables. Here's a picture:
Dayumm, that venue looks nice. I'd def be willing to thrown down money for the deposit. Next one of Rock's fests we will discuss this.

2link, mad props for making the new locater and taking initiative, we really needed something like this. Never seen you at a tourney before tho, you should def make it out to one man.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Yeah I've never been to a Melee tournament. I've always been interested in the game though. I did own it till last ESAM's ZP where I accidentally left it and no one got back to me about it T.T

I do want to go to events for melee in the future, but honestly I'm very broke right now lol. I barely make it to brawl events with the cash I have. I really need to get a job.

Anyway though no problem man. I love helping out and I believe FL has an amazing scene all around so I want to do my best for it. Working out foundations for the future is something I do well. I'll still need help from you guys though. So I can keep myself going.

skrach8

Smash Lord
2link = 2kool?

Thanks to emilio for starting a fire

Moses has beast mode potential

Exarch being the man as usual.

Id come up there for that one FO SHO!!!

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
That venue looks sick, Moses. I got no problem throwing down some coin for the deposit.

Let's get some tourneys going, son.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Hmm guys this is just a small topic, but another thing I had on my mind besides updating the FL thread locator is when I look around the ATL South boards. There really isn't a central thread for general/social discussion for the state. Well I mean There technically is one ran by Seibrik, but I never see any of you guys go near it. It's mostly a FL Brawl SD rather than a FL Smash SD. Between the brawlers the active social threads are FL Brawl Power Rankings, CFL's stickied thread in ATL South Social and FL Social ran by Seibrik(SFL for the most part).

When I look over at Melee I see a thread for NFL, a thread for CFL, and a thread for SFL. Now that's fine and all since in brawl CFL and SFL do have their own threads around here, but both do discuss things together in the FL Power Rankings thread/Seibrik's FL Social and maintain a regular pace of activity in both. All of the brawl players are pretty familiar with one another across all regions NFL, CFL, and SFL.

I'm sorry for not knowing how close the state's melee players are with one another, but getting to the point I noticed how most melee players in the state were able to come into this thread and the PR discussion thread to talk about things concerning FL Melee. Now I come to two things. I'd be perfectly fine if you guys were to use the FL thread as an SD, or I was just thinking of making a social discussion for FL Melee players state wide to discuss things. You guys could use a place for reaching across state regions to discuss things like good venues, events, the power ranking, and what not.

ehh I know this isn't a really important issue, but it's one of the things I've been thinking about to help you guys out. I mean this thread can't be staying up stickied forever lol. You guys need a general place to hang loose and talk about anything together as a state rather than only within state regions.

TL;DR: you guys wanna have a Social Discussion to talk about stuff as a state?

Pi

Smash Hero
whats there to discuss?
i'm indifferent toward power rankings
so i guess i don't really care one way or the other

Two-Ell

Smash Master
well SWD, as a state how close would you guys say everyone is in the Melee scene? All I was talking about really is just a place for everyone to feel free to talk about crap. Doesn't particularly have to be about any serious matters really. I don't really know how close FL's Melee players are to one another on a general level rather than everyone to their own region. The thread will just be a place for everyone to hang loose really and talk about whatever. Everyone in the brawl community does that all the time in the FL PR/Seibrik's Social.

Again it's not entirely important. It would probably just help with networking more. Plus it'll make an easier place for newer people to enter into the states community and have idea of who's who. I used to look at the aforementioned Brawl threads to learn more about the players here back in April. My first few posts were in those threads too.

I'm sorry if my posts are long/boring D:, I try to keep them short lol.

Pi

Smash Hero
A lot of melee players doin their own thing tbh
Most of us are linked via facebook

Go ahead and make the thread though, it's not like there is any downside, and it wouldn't hurt at the very least.

Priority on thread though would be an easy means to contact everyone in a certain area about upcoming smashfests.

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Hey guys I just found another place in Gainvesville that we can use to host tournaments whenever we want. Its just down the street from my apartment complex's clubhouse. It could maybe fit 49 people comfortably.

I just need enough notice to reserve the place. We would need to supply the set-ups, obviously. What do you guys think?

Pics:

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Wow that looks amazing. How much money would you need to put for a deposit on that? lol

Priority on thread though would be an easy means to contact everyone in a certain area about upcoming smashfests.
Hmm I was thinking about this for a while, but a couple things though is this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=1357185&postcount=3

kinda serves for letting everyone know about and easily find FL tournaments. Plus the new Tournament listing system on SWF allows for reminders of upcoming events, which is only a simple click.

Is there any detail I'm missing though? I don't want to be putting down your idea.

Pi

Smash Hero
Wow that looks amazing. How much money would you need to put for a deposit on that? lol

Hmm I was thinking about this for a while, but a couple things though is this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=1357185&postcount=3

kinda serves for letting everyone know about and easily find FL tournaments. Plus the new Tournament listing system on SWF allows for reminders of upcoming events, which is only a simple click.

Is there any detail I'm missing though? I don't want to be putting down your idea.

Well basically what I was getting at is smashers are lazy
So I wanted an idea based around easily PMing everyone who would be interested in attending a smashfest/tournament

The thread idea I had was for everyone to come and sign up for what region/specific tournament/smashfests they want to be notified about
And then whenever a TO or smashfest organizer wished to get the word out, they could just copy paste a list of names into the PM box and tell everyone about it.
Tournaments are one thing, you can check the calender/you're notified weeks in advanced
But smashfests are a bit more impromptu

Two-Ell

Smash Master
ahhh okay I can understand that. I knew there was something I didn't think about. Smashfest are pretty randomly planned and last minute. I suppose I could do that for TOs, but people need to notify me that they want to be on the smashfest subscription list and they'll at the least be receiving CFL tournies(due to it being in the middle) as well as their own region unless they specify they want notice for all around the state.

So guys if you want to subscribe to this sort of service please leave me a shout inside of the FL thread.

Pi

Smash Hero
make a new thread for subscriptions/edit the one that's already made & merge it w/ FL thread after everyone's signed up

imo

Two-Ell

Smash Master
hmm I will probably make a new thread for accepting smashfest subscriptions tomorrow afternoon or something along with the social. Editing the Locator reg probably wont get as much attention and people probably will not think to look in there again once the post their info.

When I gather all the subscriptions I'll probably place them inside of the Tournament Listings section. People can continue to register/drop their subscription from in the FL thread once I close the reg thread(after a week maybe).

Pi

Smash Hero
hmm I will probably make a new thread for accepting smashfest subscriptions tomorrow afternoon or something along with the social. Editing the Locator reg probably wont get as much attention and people probably will not think to look in there again once the post their info.

When I gather all the subscriptions I'll probably place them inside of the Tournament Listings section. People can continue to register/drop their subscription from in the FL thread once I close the reg thread(after a week maybe).

sounds like a plan
i appreciate all your doing (again)
if there's anything you need help with let me know
i'd hate to see this game dissapear

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Oh no problem I love to help. Ah alright I'll keep that in mind and same I learned about competitive smash when it was at its peak. It would be really sad to see it go.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
I duuno man we still got new people and junk. Its hard keeping people intrested in the game let alone making them wanna enter tournaments. New players always complain that they dont see improvement with them shelves or oh imma just gonna lose to (insert person name here).

Or community isnt necessarily dying or anything just well for sfl no one cares enough to wanna beat people in our area. Personaly i wanna travel and ****.

Noob 3 is coming up lets shoot for that Fl. Ga owes us now :)

Also stop giving me responsibilty Emillio :laugh:

Top Bottom