• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Played against someone using an ESAM tag as a pikachu and won so it obviously wasn't esam i find it odd that someone would do that on for glory been running into people using other peoples tags pretty often its odd as hell

Last edited:

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
Everyone using top tiers and using the same tactics over an over again.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Played against someone using an ESAM tag as a pikachu and won so it obviously wasn't esam i find it odd that someone would do that on for glory been running into people using other peoples tags pretty often its odd as hell
I'm glad to know I'm not the only person running into these kind of players. While it still doesn't happen way too often, the number of players willing to do that seems to have increased recently. In June alone, I ran into two players who were pretending to be Salem and Wizzrobe.

What does one even gain from pretending to be major players anyways?

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Maybe they're banking on their opponents believing that they're the real deal as a form of intimidation.
On that note, 2 months ago or so, I ran into an orange :4kirby: by the name of Mango in the 3DS FG FFA room while I myself was an orange Kirby (For Conquest was why.). I jokingly was all like "Oh snapz, is that the REAL Mango!? 8O If he is, this'll be the most intense 2 minutes I've had in ages!" Naturally, as the match wore on, he was getting rekt by the whole room (myself included), which is probably a tell-tale sign that he wasn't the real Mango. I may have gotten 3rd at the end of that match, but he got 4th. Also naturally, I saved the replay and called it "DudeIBeatMango!", yet I didn't send it for some reason....

A gripe of mine would be dealing with FA(DC)-happy :4ryu:s as characters that don't have the greatest of tools to directly challenge his FA confidently, like :4gaw:, :4myfriends:, and :4robinf:, who don't have many multi-hit attacks to hit him out of it with. At least G&W gains Chain Judge & Short-Order Chef, and Robin has Nosferatu while gaining Speed Thunder & Fire Wall when Customs are on...

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Maybe they're banking on their opponents believing that they're the real deal as a form of intimidation.
I suppose that makes sense if they only care about their win record. Outside of that though, I don't see any point in doing it. If you lose, it was obvious you weren't the real deal. If you win, you get no credit for your victory.

Personally, if I win a bunch of extremely close matches on For Glory, I'd want my opponent to think "This Nexin guy has an amazing Palutena", not "Wow, I just fought Aerolink!"

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
There's not much that can really irk me on FG, but if I had to point a few things out these would be it:
  • For starters, folks who like to play far to passively. Either try to use long distance tactics, shield, or roll away the entire time if you attempt to approach them. I recently went against a Mario player on FG yesterday who did exactly that in every single match I had with them. Don't get me wrong, they knew the perfect times to shield and roll, plus they'd punish my approaches fairly well; however they'd never take the initiative to attack. They'd just stand back, use fire balls to make me back off, and just wait to punish me if I took the initiative. Even when I was a stock ahead of them they wouldn't do anything to try and KO me unless I got near them, which was silly on their part cause I could of waited it out at that point.

• There is also of course people who like to give up during a match that also irks me, whether it be 1V1 or 2V2 matches. It seems to be most common in 2V2s where I'll encounter people who will purposely SD or even stand around, let us hit them then jump off. A free win is a free win and all, but it kind of shows me that they're very poor sports. It'll upset me more when I actually enjoyed playing against them, especially if they offered me a good challenge. The least you can do is fight till the end or leave before the next match starts instead of quitting midway through.

• Lastly, one thing that will always irk me is players who like to be extremely cocky, then leave after you beat them once. I'm talking about the kind of players who may two stock you and taunt you like they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, whether they beat you with a character you're still trying to learn/get better with or even a main of yours. Then when you switch to a character (either a counter-pick or your top, go-to main) and end up beating them once, EVEN if it was a super close match and they leave immediately afterward. I guess most cocky players just like to prey on folks who they deem weak, but bail once the other side becomes more serious.
Those are pretty much the only things I can think of. There's lag too being the obvious and most common thing that will irk anyone, but it's something that can't be avoided in online play to begin with anyways.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Lately for me, it's been the Lloyd / Slingshot spam Villagers. I've been able to handle the Grab-Happy Mario Bros. and ZSS fairly well, now I see that I have more hurdles to leap over in the spam / flowchart department...

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Makes me want to main Rosalina so I can just absorb everything.

Rosalina mains have everything cut out for them!

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
It drives me insane when someone stalls the match when my opponent and I are down to even stocks and I have a huge percentage lead, and they start running away to go to sudden death.

Don't get me started on when they manage to win

xRedKirbyx

Smash Rookie
People who taunt. It sounds stupid, but it throws me off my game. XD I cannot stand it.
The fact that 90% of taunters taunt and get away with it pisses me off even more.

Psyf3rn

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheTeoSaur29
People who win once after loosing many times in a row then change their tag to "GET GOOD" or " U SUCK". I was playing a Puff player who just spammed rollout. I messed up my recovery and then they started to spam taunts like they did something. I told him to stop spamming and he just changed his tag to "LOL SALT" and stuff like "YUMMY SALT" or "SCRUB". I two stocked him with Falcon while he was using the tag "GIT GOOD". Then he quit. I absolutely hate people like that. Even if he didn't spam moves and was actually good I would still hate in for saying that stuff.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
I wish for glory would have more variety, it's nice seeing characters that aren't falcon, yoshi and sheik

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Lag is one; my Greninja and ZSS require precision and lag completely ruins that.
The other is after I've won a match, and they switch to Ganon and play the roll/camp/side B/down B game. Sometimes I win, but when I don't I can expect a taunt as I fly off the screen and a quick evac of the room.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Recently it's been character variety that's been bugging me. I've picked up chatizard and haven't seen a single other person play it I see a lot of Falcons ness Lucas and anyone with a projectile id rather face more good high tiers like Shieks and Diddys then have to wade through a pool of for glory links

KirbCider

Smash Ace
People who win once after loosing many times in a row then change their tag to "GET GOOD" or " U SUCK".
If I had an Amiibo for all the times I encountered those kind of players I'd have the complete roster already in doubles.

Bonus points for making him quit after getting two stocked as well. Personally what annoys me most about those types of players isn't the fact that they do all of that after winning. It's doing all of that after winning then proceeding to leave whether it was out of luck, lag, or they legit managed to beat me that one and only time. I guess they had to feel accomplished in order to get rid of all of that salt they spilled by doing that. It's usually a shame too cause I'll even offer "G-G" tags to these kinds of players only to be met by those salty tags when they win once.

Psyf3rn

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheTeoSaur29
This has probably been mentioned, but another thing I hate is when people win against you and then switch to a campy character and start trolling or spamming. It's fine if they win, but then it gets really annoying if they start trolling or spamming moves (Ike's Side B comes to mind) just because they won once.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
It's funny when it's on the 3DS version, since they would be using the Wii U version. I ran into a "Dabuz" on the 3DS who used Rosalina a few days ago.

One thing I ran into that really bothered me is finding really good players who are just plain disrespectful. I fought this Marth player who was pretty good and very aggressive. We only played for two matches. I took the first match, but didn't taunt or do anything while he taunted three times during it. Second match, he takes my first stock, then proceeds to taunt and teabag. I took his first stock and decided to taunt too with a little teabagging. I thought he was just having fun, so I did the same thing without thinking much of it. He then takes my last stock and finishes with a taunt. Again, I didn't think it was him being disrespectful. I then realized he was one of "those" players when, on the character select screen, he keeps clicking a character over and over to flash between blue and white repeatedly (that's my best attempt at explaining it, but you can't see this on the Wii U version), and when I pressed start to go in the waiting room, he just stayed in the character select screen until the timer was almost out and then left. Thankfully it wasn't the Wii U with tags, though.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
People who switch to the character you just played as (or their clone), after beating you.

Example:

Match 1
:4feroy: vs :4falcon:, :4falcon: wins
Match 2
:4drmario: vs :4feroy:, :4feroy: wins
Match 3
:4megaman: vs :4mario:, :4mario: wins

To me, it feels like they're saying "Ha! You're terrible as X character. Let me show you how it's done."

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
People who switch to the character you just played as (or their clone), after beating you.

Example:

Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

To me, it feels like they're saying "Ha! You're terrible as X character. Let me show you how it's done."
Those people are what I like to call "a-holes". I also assume they've just got some really bad emotional issues in real life and need some sort of victory to feel good about themselves. In that case, I feel that I helped someone in need. :laugh:

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice

Example:

Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

Yeah it happens sometimes, even if you win. It happened to me earlier today. Sometimes with a variation.

I had a few matches with someone who picked the characters I did. But it went like this:

Me: Marth (lost) Rosalina(win), Pac-Man (Win)
My opponent: Villager (win), Lucina (lost), Rosalina (lost)

Not sure what that was about. Trying to show me how to use those characters when I won with most of them? And I guess he used Lucina since he's probably more used to her than Marth.

To me, it's pretty disrespectful.

D

Deleted member 269706

People who insult you after a close match. Hell the other day I was playing against this Mario (well EVERYONE is freakin' Mario now-a-days...) but I beat him game one, pretty close. Game two comes around, and we're both at high percentages, and he manages to take my stock. Good for him, he played well. In the lobby, or whatever you like to call it he changes his name to "U_SUCK" and he goes about name calling and all this other crap, and then leaves. Just irritates me that people feel the need to be insulting to one another for no reason.

Another thing that just ticks me off is people who use almost every top tier character.
Game 1 - Pikachu
Game 2 - Shiek
Game 3 - Luigi
Game 4 - Villager
etc.

It's not fighting against the characters that's the problem, it's that they aren't even good with them, they're just playing them BECAUSE they are top tier. If you like a top tier character, awesome, but if you're just playing him/her because they're top tier, you have some problems.

And lastly, I hate losing dittos because I'm a salty ************ :p

Hirashi_Dragon

Smash Rookie
Nothing annoys me in for glory. Once you let your emotions get you in a fight you lose. For instance once skillfully KO an opponent right away and they rush you. it shows you have broken them emotionally. If you get upset by someone spamming be mad at yourself for being so predictable and bad at countering. If the same move set upsets you be more upset that you cant read it. If projectiles upset you, be more upset that someone can beat you without touching you. If rolling upsets you be more mad that a simple roll can confuse you. And the most common complaint, if your upset that someone beats you or loses and quits, typically the only reason to get mad is because you either want revenge or to beat someone, or you want to beat someone again who is bad at playing. In all actuality Japanese players hate input lag and most of them simply avoid that. I have played many good japanese players. Getting mad about something in for glory is funny yes... but pathetic

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Why do people insist on running/rolling without ever trying to play the actual game (i.e. attack, go for a kill)? Seriously, too many people are content with letting the timer run out and let overtime decide their fate. Disgusting! If that's how you like to play, please do the following: click the eject button on your Wii U, very carefully remove the Smash Bros game disc, then proceed to toss it into the microwave for 2 minutes. Enjoy! You've now done us ALL a huge favor.

Last edited:

Greenpants

Smash Cadet
Everyone has things that irk them or gets them frustrated when playing, I get that. And there's nothing wrong with getting aggravated at a strategy or poor performance on your end.

But for me it's the disrespect that really sours the experience. I just picture a bunch of miserable little turds holed up in their rooms basing their entire self worth on winning For Glory Sm4sh.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Everyone has things that irk them or gets them frustrated when playing, I get that. And there's nothing wrong with getting aggravated at a strategy or poor performance on your end.

But for me it's the disrespect that really sours the experience. I just picture a bunch of miserable little turds holed up in their rooms basing their entire self worth on winning For Glory Sm4sh.
Bingo!

The vast majority of the Smash community are nice, considerate people. You don't see jerks in tourneys. Mostly every match ends with a handshake and a 'good game'. Those players often hang out and are friendly, even though the competitions can get fierce.

For Glory? Nope. For Glory is everything that's wrong with Smash and video games in general. Online play that doesn't mean squat is where the worst of the worst like to reside. It's unfortunate that many of the good people would like to play there as well, but it's impossible to avoid these lowlifes. If you don't like the game, don't play it. If you need something to elevate your self-worth, do some community service. If winning a video game and taunting like a child makes your life worth living..... you probably need some mental help. I sincerely hope that, the longer the game has been out, the less trolls inhabit Smash Bros online.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
It just makes me feel more and more grateful there's no Voice Chat in these modes, aside from friendlies. Though, the extended length of player names is more or less an "oops", depending on how they're used online. In short, that came with a price.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Here's another thing that rustles my jimmies:
:4mario:
Down throw, endless up tilts. It's so annoying. More annoying than the late hoo-hah (which I never really found annoying).

Sir_Africa

Smash Cadet
Is it just me? Or has there been literally nobody playing FG these pays two days? I can't seem to find anyone.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
losing to :4ganondorf: because it's very difficult to tech flame choke online. ugh

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I hate fighting :4peach:'s that do nothing but d-airs, turnip tosses, and stalling via float. Back when I started playing on For Glory, I had almost no experience with fighting against Peach and whenever one of them KO'd me using only said attacks they'd spam the crap out of her "la-la-la-la-la-la!" taunt. Nowadays I don't have too much trouble with actually beating her but I usually run into that one Peach that tries to stall the match by floating off of the stage and using her umbrella. It never works but it's still a pain to deal with.

AppleTart

Smash Rookie
NNID
AppleTart64
3DS FC
5129-4151-5077
Getting poorly skilled teammates in 2v2 who treat the matches almost exclusively as 1v1 and 1v1. They rarely come to your rescue when you're in trouble, they don't do team combos, and don't punish when I grab an opponent (or alternatively they use a weak attack on them).

Also, in sudden death when people pick the worst possible moves to use. Why counter, or falcon punch or charge an f-smash when you can just use a simple normal attack to get the job done easily? This seems to happen a lot in 2v2s.

MiniSmasher

Smash Cadet
People who win once after loosing many times in a row then change their tag to "GET GOOD" or " U SUCK". I was playing a Puff player who just spammed rollout. I messed up my recovery and then they started to spam taunts like they did something. I told him to stop spamming and he just changed his tag to "LOL SALT" and stuff like "YUMMY SALT" or "SCRUB". I two stocked him with Falcon while he was using the tag "GIT GOOD". Then he quit. I absolutely hate people like that. Even if he didn't spam moves and was actually good I would still hate in for saying that stuff.
I'm guilty of doing this to the person I just played on For Glory.They were beating me by quite a bit since they were pretty good. I stayed because I thought it was good match-up experience and I eventually began to learn how to fight them. The guy kept taunting every time he KO'd me, a little pre-emptively sometimes, for which I punished him. Then he changed his tag to 'gitgud', 'boring', 'yawn', 'zzzz','scrub' and "yousuck" after a few matches. I replied with "Ok" and when it was a close match I said "Close!" and then a friendly GG. Eventually I beat him once and was going to keep playing, but remembered how much of an a-hole he is so decided to spam "scrub", "gitgud" and "LOOOOOL" to give him a taste of his own medicine. He also had a racist tag for when he was playing, so I feel he deserved it and I hope it made him mad. Surprisingly, I managed to not get angry throughout! Otherwise I'd never do that to someone. Is this acceptable to anyone, or probably best if I just don't say anything to them?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'm guilty of doing this to the person I just played on For Glory.

Eventually I beat him once and was going to keep playing, but remembered how much of an a-hole he is so decided to spam "scrub", "gitgud" and "LOOOOOL" to give him a taste of his own medicine.

Is this acceptable to anyone, or probably best if I just don't say anything to them?
I feel if they're truly disrespectful, rotten players then it's fine to give them what they dish out back.

I tend to mimic the opponents behavior. Be respectful and I'll do the same. I'll taunt at the start at the match if they do so and so on. I do my hardest to be a nice, respectful opponent as long as they are; however, if I come across someone who does nothing but insult, taunt after everything, teabag, you name it I will happily give them that same treatment in return.

No point in showing respect to someone who obviously can't do the same. Sometimes it's funny to see those kind of players unable to handle the same treatment and leave in a fit of salty rage. Long as they deserve it I say go for it.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Japanese players who always leave the lobby when they see its someone from another country.

'nuff said.

Also players who beat you drastically, taunt, then immediately leave afterwards.

"F*** you too"

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Makes me want to main Rosalina so I can just absorb everything.

Rosalina mains have everything cut out for them!
Not really, For some reason, I haven't been using Gravitational Pull that much to absorb projectiles and ****.
Well actually, I'm just not really good at the game in general.
I hate fighting :4peach:'s that do nothing but d-airs, turnip tosses, and stalling via float. Back when I started playing on For Glory, I had almost no experience with fighting against Peach and whenever one of them KO'd me using only said attacks they'd spam the crap out of her "la-la-la-la-la-la!" taunt. Nowadays I don't have too much trouble with actually beating her but I usually run into that one Peach that tries to stall the match by floating off of the stage and using her umbrella. It never works but it's still a pain to deal with.
You're not the only one here. I not only hate fighting Peach, especially the good ones, but I literally hate Peach with a burning passion.

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
Very simple. Lag, constantly dealing with Sheik/Villager/Roy online, people giving up during battle, and opponents picking Kirby after losing to my Kirbycide (only to find out they're inexperienced with Kirby and can't handle Kirbycide as well as me, resulting in their loss).

Top Bottom