• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I don't think all lag is universal. I've played with friends who said they were getting stuttery lag while I only saw the normal input lag.

The person taunting during what you see as a laggy match may have no idea.
The entire match was choppy and occasionally it would stop and the loading symbol would pop-up, so I doubt things were going well on his side, though I know what you mean.

In fact I may have ran into this exact situation today. I fought a :4feroy: and there was so much input lag on my side yet he seemed to move just find. I get hit like once or twice in the first 15 seconds (had about 12%) and didn't feel like fighting through a laggy match, so I intentionally kill myself by riding my bike off the stage. Of course being For Glory the Roy spams his taunts like me purposefully killing myself was all his work, and teabags when I take my second stock. If I had to guess his connection was smooth while only I had input lag.

I seriously wonder what was going in that Roy's head while I killed myself: "WOW THAT GUY IS AN IDIOT IM SUCH A GOD AT FOR GLORY!"

Graminthesalmon

Smash Cadet
When people lag and then beat you and think they're better and taunt and change their tags thinking they are "trolling" you changing their tag to things like "REKT" when I ask them "Whytaunt?" It's really frustrating and makes me upset. Also I hate when people SD on purpose and still try to play you afterward.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I really hate it whenever I'm fighting someone who is playing Jiggs and doesn't use her correctly.

Also, the

(i'm so original)

Nah

Smash Champion
All that really bothers me in FG is the lag and lack of character variety. While I often don't deal with the roll spam and projectile spam as well as I'd like it doesn't bother me really. Actual input lag is fortunately rare for me, but a good chunk of my games get kinda laggy/choppy and it's annoying as **** and screws me up. But lag is irritating in anything really. Then there's the fact that usually most people on FG use like the same handful of characters. Oh gee, it's another Captain Falcon, like I haven't fought 10 of you today....in a row. How often do you see like a :4charizard: or a :4bowser: or a :4duckhunt: or a :4kirby:? Hardly ever. It's mostly :4mario:,:4fox:,:4yoshi:,:4link:/:4tlink:, :4falcon: and :4ness: and sometimes :4littlemac:,:4luigi:, :4villager:, or :4marth:/:4lucina:. And the DLC characters because they new and hype. We have 55 characters currently in Smash 4's roster, I wanna fight 'em all. Though strangely :4sheik:,:4pikachu:, and :4diddy: are kinda rare these days in my experience.

But it could be worse.

Last edited:

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
An immediate 2nd Stock SD. There are times I laugh from a salty finish, but come ooooooonn. I would at least finish my fights if it were me. Comebacks are so satisfying to achieve.

Times like those makes me wanna reenact the crocodile scene from Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls. Curse you, spawn invincibility. Kinda sorta.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Why is it I can NEVER ledge camp a decent little mac, but when I'm little mac, they can? ****, man.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Ever since Lucas came out, I've been facing scrubs who either keep spamming PK Fire (I guess PK Fire spam runs in the family of those scrubs) and the rope snake grab.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I'll definitely say this: Lucas's PK Fire is harder to block off safely in comparison to Ness's, because when it collides with other projectiles like Gunmen, Clays, and Mechakoopas, there's a gush (?) of fire that is blown forward a bit, making the idea of sticking out a Gunman or Mechakoopa upclose a bad idea, for said gush of fire actually hits you, allowing Lucas an opening for him to get in. I've seen folks (including myself as Boney-- er, Duck Hunt) get KO'd by this in Sudden Death as well.

As for a gripe of my own, trying to aggressively rushdown :4feroy: as :4duckhunt: or other characters who probably shouldn't be aggressively rushing him down, because 1. I do half of Roy's work in approaching me for him, and 2. the payoff he gets for every hit he lands upclose at his sweetspot is shockingly high, to the point where his DPS at that range can exceed the dog's. I WANT to put on a hype show for my opponents by aggressively rushing them down, but Roy not Koopa in particular is... a rather intimidating swordsman to try to do that against... Maybe I should bring out :4roy: against that swordsman more often....

Zenya

Smash Rookie
NNID
zenyamk8
The projectile spammers and playing cat and mouse were you are the cat.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
The projectile spammers and playing cat and mouse were you are the cat.
Makes it worse that characters like Duck Hunt are tailor made for that style of play. The second I see one I know I'm going to have to grind out a 4:30+ match. Not fun. To all Duck Hunt mains out there.... how do you enjoy playing the game this way? I'm not judging, but my energy is drained after just one Duck Hunt match. I can't even imagine going on and playing several of these types of matches. To each their own, I guess.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I'm probably not one of thee defensive DH mains that should be answering the above question, since I play an aggressive rushdown style, but there are a few MUs where I'm strongly inclined to defensively run away and lame out my opponent, due to the sheer payoffs that the dog can get from doing so. Said few MUs would be :4bowser:, :4dedede:, :4dk:, :4charizard:, and probably now :4feroy:. They CAN be rushed down, especially once you land a full Clay shoot-up and go in for FAir juggles.

I'll be honest, if I were to be in a legit singles or team tournament match as DH, and if my opponent runs one of those above characters without customs, I most likely will lame you out like I'm UMVC3 Morrigan/Doom/Vergil. DK & Zard with customs on, however, will likely get to see my aggro rushdown, due to their enhanced arsenal piercing abilities. :>

In FG Anywhere, even those 5 will get treated to my aggro rushdown show, as much of a terrible idea it is for me to do so.

Another gripe is :4ryu:s that somehow (accidentally, I hope) fling themselves off the stage trying to "attack that squirrel jet", FADC, and uppercut folks...

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
"Haflecksehfruugat!" A few Ryus (including myself...) will accidentally Tatsu / Hurricane away via the Street Fighter input, which is a bit painful on our end. Thing is, it doesn't matter if you press B or A. If that SF input is read, Ryu will do that certain move. Ryu players definitely need to take note of where he's facing. If at the stage, he's mostly safe. But away... (let's say left, for example) make sure you don't hold down and then quickly :GCR: + :GCB: or else, Oops.

Shoryuken /Dragon Punch is a lesser case, mostly at ledges. A tapped version will let Ryu grab the edge while the hold of the button will have him fly too far, just enough to miss and fall. And Focus Cancels upon recovery... Well, it's based on experience, it's useful when getting back, but ya need practice. Ryu is very different compared to traditional Smash. Ya gotta play him how you would play Street Fighter. Much as how Mega Man will play like Mega Man...except not as embarassing.

This will be my other gear grinder online; an accidental special as Ryu. Input lag would be a nightmare...

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I've been playing a lot of Ryu recently, and for the most part I have gotten the hang of using his ex specials. The only one that I still occasionally have problems with is Tatsumaki Senpukyaku since I'll occasionally get that instead of a back air every so often, though fortunately that is fairly uncommon.

Unfortunately, it seems like everybody just has to taunt whenever I SD because that happens. Normally taunts don't bother me, but taunting because that happens really gets under my skin.

Other than that, there really isn't anything that bothers me on For Glory. I've gotten fairly good at defeating the standard FG players, so they are more boring than annoying nowadays.

Edit: Actually, there is one other thing that I just remembered. It doesnt happen way to often, but players that try to impersonate top players also get under my skin. Yesterday, I was extremely excited when I was put up against a ZSS player named Salem on the 3ds... and then I two stocked him. When I checked out his Mii on results screen, it was obvious that I wasn't facing the real Salem. The guy didnt even live in the United States.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
Getting the wrong special and dying because of it is especially frustrating in a 1v1 FG match for me.

I swear, they adjusted the angles to tend to get side instead of up/down and it bites me all the time.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Getting the wrong special and dying because of it is especially frustrating in a 1v1 FG match for me.

I swear, they adjusted the angles to tend to get side instead of up/down and it bites me all the time.
What do you mean? Like trying to do an up special for recovery but doing a side or down special instead? If so, I feel your pain (and then some). It's been happening to me so much, I just don't understand it. I figured there's no way they changed anything and that I just suddenly didn't know the difference between up and down. But if it's affecting others, maybe I'm not going insane. Either way, there's nothing more frustrating (or embarrassing) than flailing away while falling to your untimely death.

salaboB

Smash Champion
What do you mean? Like trying to do an up special for recovery but doing a side or down special instead? If so, I feel your pain (and then some). It's been happening to me so much, I just don't understand it. I figured there's no way they changed anything and that I just suddenly didn't know the difference between up and down. But if it's affecting others, maybe I'm not going insane. Either way, there's nothing more frustrating (or embarrassing) than flailing away while falling to your untimely death.
Yeah I get it all the time!

I feel like the degrees for horizontal were changed so that the angled ones (Like Samus' fsmash) have better control, but the cost is way too much for me -- firing off side-B when I want up-B or down-B. Something about playing Charizard and getting a flare blitz off the edge of the stage when I was trying to do a rock smash edge guard.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
As Dr. Mario, it's imperatives that I hit the control stick exactly perfectly to account for his bad recovery. To use the Dr. Tornado for recovery, you've got to precisely start it with a down B, then quickly tilt up and towards the stage, all while mashing B. Then, you've still got to hit up B to grab the ledge. If I'm off, even by a millisecond....... I'm dead.

Thus, it's incredibly frustrating to try and recover before it's too late and be left spamming side B instead of what I meant to do. Happens far too often. Also, if I'm facing away from the stage and want to do an up special, I have to direct it at an angle in the opposite direction. If it's straight up, I go in the direction I'm facing. If it's too far to the side, I do a side special. I've even gone to practice to test it and, without moving the control stick (holding it at an upward horizontal angle), it'll either do an up or side special, randomly. Either it's incredibly sensitive and I'm somehow moving it the smallest fraction of a millimeter without realizing it or it just randomly picks which special to do.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I've even gone to practice to test it and, without moving the control stick (holding it at an upward horizontal angle), it'll either do an up or side special, randomly. Either it's incredibly sensitive and I'm somehow moving it the smallest fraction of a millimeter without realizing it or it just randomly picks which special to do.
That feels a lot like what I've experienced, but if I'm playing with friends at least I can laugh about it (And mock them when it happens in return)

In FG, there's just the faceless opponent judging me for the SD or otherwise whiffing an obvious move.

I can play against my friends all day, in FG I get fed up really fast if I get a couple control misfires.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I dunno about the rest of you, but I think the circle pad is largely responsible. Since it's a circle, the motion is sometimes not so obvious to the game, whereas a gamecube controller has an octagon ring. It's more natural for our thumbs to find the edges and thus gives us more precision.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Thaaaat's a pretty fair argument to make there. Likely enough, many of us wanna be more careful with Pad movements compared to GC. Classic Controller and the Nunchuck (I think) also have the octagonal ring and debatably have as good as the directional feel as the GC. Wiimote alone is simply the most awkward (because D-Pad control) while the Gamepad may have a similar scenario as the Circle Pad.

Completely unsure about the Classic Controler Pro, though. I don't have one of those to make a statement on.

salaboB

Smash Champion
That's a good theory, but I know it's not the case for me -- I'm using a GC controller, so it should have the proper octagonal ring.

That said, I am using one of the new ones. I should try with one of my originals and see if the problem goes away.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
That's a good theory, but I know it's not the case for me -- I'm using a GC controller, so it should have the proper octagonal ring.

That said, I am using one of the new ones. I should try with one of my originals and see if the problem goes away.
Same here. That's what really gets me. I figured if I aim the stick in the predetermined angle, it'll registered that way in the game. Nope. Maybe it is something about the new GC controller. Unfortunately, I don't have any old ones to test. I have two new ones and both have these issues from time to time.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I really hate when people rely on their characters jabs often, especially for characters like Captain Falcon, Kirby, King Dedede, and Mr.Game&Watch whose users use that whenever I get close.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Lol the session I had today makes me wonder why I still even bother with this mode. Big story inbound.
I enter FG, and the first opponent I get matched up with had a racial slur as their name. I left immediately.

So my first match was against this decent Roy who I beat in a 3 out of 5 set. I write GG's and then go on to my next match. I forgot that tags are saved now, so I end up fighting a roll spamming Mewtwo as Ryu... without my proper controls. He ends up beating me in a close match (only close because of the aforementioned terrible controls) and then taunts. Typically I wouldn't even mind this, but I felt like teaching this guy a lesson. He gets two stocked by Yoshi and Falcon when I'm using proper controls, and he leaves. Moving on.

I have two laggy matches in a row, using Ryu against Sonic and Zero Suit Samus. They were roll/spam happy, too. They taunt after taking a stock off of me... even though it was laggy. The Zero Suit match in particular was REALLY bad. I ended up winning both times, but it boggled my mind as to how these guys thought they actually did something special. Like, oh you got me when I couldn't react in time, you're so good. I wasn't even mad, just REALLY confused.

A few matches later, I end up fighting a Villager as Sonic. Another laggy match. I end up taking the first stock, and then the next stock he just decides to give up and do stupid **** for the rest of the match, like spot dodging in place way too much. He could have just SD'd instead of wasting my time...

Lastly, and probably the most hilarious part, I get paired up with your typical FG Samus. For once it was lagless! I beat him as Sonic the first match, and then Captain Falcon the next. When I go back to the CSS, I see that he called me a coward, and said I sucked.... even though I beat him TWICE in a row, and he was constantly rolling away and spamming projectiles and dash attacks the whole match. He then wrote "Shield" in combination with the "Coward" tag. Of course I was gonna use shield a lot, all you did was spam the whole match. My response to this is a simple " : )". I beat him for the third time as Falcon (I made sure to be "more aggressive", even hitting him with a Falcon Punch), and I use the ": ) " tag again. His response is "HAHAHA", then he uses the old tags, along with NEW tags (he apparently had these ready to go, they were coming in fast). I write "Stay Mad" and leave.

TL;DR: In one single session, I may as well have lost 100 brain cells from playing these people. I have a fine first match against a decent player and then it all goes downhill from there. I didn't even talk about some of the other matches.

salaboB

Smash Champion
What I've taken to doing is the instant someone looks like a bad sport, I just leave at the end of the round. Then against the people who seem cool (No name changes or change to something okay (Like "GG"), no taunts or reasonable taunting, etc.) I'll just keep going against until they leave.

I've had some looong chains of 10-15 games against reasonable people that way. Sometimes I'm losing more than I win, sometimes I'm winning more than I lose -- the point isn't to be winning, but to be having not-awful matches (Fun?? In my FG?).

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Lol the session I had today makes me wonder why I still even bother with this mode. Big story inbound.
I enter FG, and the first opponent I get matched up with had a racial slur as their name. I left immediately.

So my first match was against this decent Roy who I beat in a 3 out of 5 set. I write GG's and then go on to my next match. I forgot that tags are saved now, so I end up fighting a roll spamming Mewtwo as Ryu... without my proper controls. He ends up beating me in a close match (only close because of the aforementioned terrible controls) and then taunts. Typically I wouldn't even mind this, but I felt like teaching this guy a lesson. He gets two stocked by Yoshi and Falcon when I'm using proper controls, and he leaves. Moving on.

I have two laggy matches in a row, using Ryu against Sonic and Zero Suit Samus. They were roll/spam happy, too. They taunt after taking a stock off of me... even though it was laggy. The Zero Suit match in particular was REALLY bad. I ended up winning both times, but it boggled my mind as to how these guys thought they actually did something special. Like, oh you got me when I couldn't react in time, you're so good. I wasn't even mad, just REALLY confused.

A few matches later, I end up fighting a Villager as Sonic. Another laggy match. I end up taking the first stock, and then the next stock he just decides to give up and do stupid **** for the rest of the match, like spot dodging in place way too much. He could have just SD'd instead of wasting my time...

Lastly, and probably the most hilarious part, I get paired up with your typical FG Samus. For once it was lagless! I beat him as Sonic the first match, and then Captain Falcon the next. When I go back to the CSS, I see that he called me a coward, and said I sucked.... even though I beat him TWICE in a row, and he was constantly rolling away and spamming projectiles and dash attacks the whole match. He then wrote "Shield" in combination with the "Coward" tag. Of course I was gonna use shield a lot, all you did was spam the whole match. My response to this is a simple " : )". I beat him for the third time as Falcon (I made sure to be "more aggressive", even hitting him with a Falcon Punch), and I use the ": ) " tag again. His response is "HAHAHA", then he uses the old tags, along with NEW tags (he apparently had these ready to go, they were coming in fast). I write "Stay Mad" and leave.

TL;DR: In one single session, I may as well have lost 100 brain cells from playing these people. I have a fine first match against a decent player and then it all goes downhill from there. I didn't even talk about some of the other matches.
I've had these same, exact events happen. Seriously, I thought you were describing many FG sessions I've had recently. lol Same taunts and bad sportsmanship as well. I do love the people that taunt in lag, whether they get a lucky hit or you SD. Why? Why would you ever think that was taunt worthy? I guess they need something they can cheer about in their sad lives. :rotfl:

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
People who taunt or teabag after you accidentally SD makes me salty af

Its not like you did anything special.

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
This has probably been mentioned so many times but THE C - STICK JAB, it is the worst feeling in the world.

What also grinds my gears is when im using a character like Pacman yet im chasing down a character like Fox or Sonic, its like Wtf its supposed to be the other way around if anything.

Not that i run away in the first place, im very agressive.

salaboB

Smash Champion
This has probably been mentioned so many times but THE C - STICK JAB, it is the worst feeling in the world.
This is due to input lag :(

I assume it's known, but using the normal stick for smashes still works in this scenario so once I c-stick jab once in a game I try to not use the c-stick for the remainder (And then stop playing that opponent right away, because the connection between us is clearly laggy)

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
For perspective i only do 2vs2 matches. Spammers and runaways i can handke because i can easily counter them.

Heres what grind my gears the most

1. LAG. 3ds smash is especially terrible.
2. People rage quitting midgame and causing a 5 minute freeze. Especially if its my teamate
3. Whenever im completely dominating the match but still lose becuse of a crappy teamate who cant even break 100 percent of total damage or kills himself 4 times during the match. Totally pisses me off.

It also pisses me off that i keep getting paired with that teamate over and over.

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
For perspective i only do 2vs2 matches. Spammers and runaways i can handke because i can easily counter them.

Heres what grind my gears the most

1. LAG. 3ds smash is especially terrible.
2. People rage quitting midgame and causing a 5 minute freeze. Especially if its my teamate
3. Whenever im completely dominating the match but still lose becuse of a crappy teamate who cant even break 100 percent of total damage or kills himself 4 times during the match. Totally pisses me off.

It also pisses me off that i keep getting paired with that teamate over and over.
NUMBER 3 ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME!!!!!!!!!! i got like 4 games in a row of teammates who just suicide and its not like i was in the same room..... i joined 4 different rooms.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Taunters. I don't know why it angers me so, it's just an animation, but it does. Now, I'm all for a friendly taunt in the beginning of a match, because that's friendly. However, when I get a player on their last stock, at like 90%, and then they finally take my first stock at like 170%, they taunt over and over like they actually accomplished something. Like HELLO? Do you not realize I'm going to come back in and kill you in like 2-3 moves? It's so annoying. Or another thing I see, is when a player launches me off stage, and think they killed me (stock 1 mind you), and they taunt. Do you not see the indicator? I'm coming back, I didn't die yet. Players can be so cocky, and annoying.

Now, to be fair, I'll be salty, but if a good player totally destroys me (2 stock), and taunts, that's fair. They earned that taunt because they're good.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
However, when I get a player on their last stock, at like 90%, and then they finally take my first stock at like 170%, they taunt over and over like they actually accomplished something. Like HELLO? Do you know realize I'm going to come back in and kill you in like 2-3 moves? It's so annoying.
I've decided this is the guy going, "Yay I got the only kill I'm going to get this game!" (Sometimes it seems like that, when they finally manage to get one of their kill moves to connect)

...that or they know their only hope is to put you on tilt and hope you mess up.

Either way, you don't want to get upset about it :)

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I've decided this is the guy going, "Yay I got the only kill I'm going to get this game!" (Sometimes it seems like that, when they finally manage to get one of their kill moves to connect)

...that or they know their only hope is to put you on tilt and hope you mess up.

Either way, you don't want to get upset about it :)
Lucario is known for doing this.

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
I've decided this is the guy going, "Yay I got the only kill I'm going to get this game!"
This is kind of me when I do it, to be honest. Look, I know I'm going to get stomped in about 15 seconds, but scoring the KO was probably the only good thing that happened for me in the match. Let me have my moment.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes i purposely taunt my opponent to force them play aggressively/recklessly.

A good rage inducer is to smash them consecutively and taunt them while they try to land back on stage

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
I usually interpret "Taunting after every launch" as "on tilt" rather than "being insulting" -- you're throwing away your stage control to taunt me, I feel like you're the one who's pissed off.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
The rolling and move spamming. The roll spammers are like "They see me rollin', they hating!"

Top Bottom