• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
That one guy who taunts you after losing your first stock while he has an 80% deficit on his second.

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
Another from me.

So today i was playing some guy who played yoshi. i was playing villager and i won handily. i always give a best 2 out of 3 unless i find the person really fun to play against so i rematched him and he switches his tag to "........" and chooses shiek. He goes ham on me for my first stock and takes it with only about 30% on him. then he starts fooling around thinking he's won and only using fair but...:4villager: fair>:4sheik:fair...

so i take the stock back. He decides to "play seriously" again but this time i am ready for his shiek and i just manage to squeeze a win out of his whiffed fsmash. I was like wow that was fun though i wanna play this guy again, but instead he changes his tag to "USE A" then "REAL" "CHARACTR" then leaves...says the shiek and yoshi user though?????

Then another where i fought this guy who was playing falcon. i decimated him with villager (i was really enjoying some villager). i ready up for round 2 and he changes his tag to "NOTTRYING" or something like that. i laugh it off and then beat his mario as well. we go back to the char screen and i know he's gonna leave a salty message so i ready mine. He says "TRYHARD" "GETALYFE" "A$$" to which i respond "GIT REKT" "LOL" "360NOSCPE" "GIT GUD SON" and leave. First of all villager is defintely NOT a try hard character Mr. Grabton Grabcon try again.

Why do people get this angry for losing on for glory when there is NOTHING at stake?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
One thing I find really interesting in For Glory is how much stock people put into counterpicking characters they clearly don't play as often.

It's particularly pronounced as a ROB main. If people stick around for multiple games, particularly if they weren't winning or close to it, they will so frequently switch to characters they think are a win condition against anyone with a projectile. Examples are:

Ness - usually to repeatedly use Down B without realising it does nothing to Gyros

Fox - to keep the reflector active whenever holding a Gyro, to the point I can walk up and throw out an Arm Rotor.

Villager - to try pocket the Gyro, and believing that they don't need to use a move other than the rocket or the tree, no matter how many times they miss.

Whilst it's comparatively rare compared to the above 3, I do also sometimes get the Rosalina switch which is usually an awful choice if they don't practise with her.

Last edited:

4MyFriends

Smash Cadet
Input delay

Lag

Excessive Rolling

Opponents taunting you for accidentally SD'ing.

People counterpicking characters with projectiles because I main a character with zero projectiles (in this case Ike), and proceed to throw out every projectile against you hoping they'll win. It's just not fun to play against.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I fought a King Dedede who did nothing but stay by the ledge and spam Gordos, and when I approached, he kept camping the ledge, and either let go of the ledge to do an up-air, or if I tried to send him downwards, just float up and use Gordos again.
I'm a patient person, so i just waited for chances to strike and that took like almost the whole time limit. I won, but I left after that.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Why do people get this angry for losing on for glory when there is NOTHING at stake?
Honour is at stake !!!! And the only way to reclaim it after a loss is by making up johns and insults !!!!

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
People who lose all hope and take their second stock after you took their first by something enormously hilarious.

Pls don't quit, let me K.O you with a tree first.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Here are two things I've been encountering recently that's starting to irk me a tad. Usually in 2V2 FG matches...
  • People who enter the room and are "READY" in a matter of seconds but obviously aren't, such as one teammate that's obviously away and the other tries to protect them the whole time. If your teammate is not back from doing whatever before the match starts please leave, or at least don't hit "READY" so fast. This wouldn't be so bad if they let themselves idle out but no, they'll go as far as to prevent it then go in "Well, we better SD the whole time cause I couldn't protect you" mode.

• One thing I can only blame myself for but it still irks me is when it's a Sudden Death, one (or both) will hide at the edges the whole time. They'll immediately run away and hang onto the edge and drop down repeatedly, then act cocky because they won in that manner. Yeah, it's my bad for being unable to prevent it and all yet it irks me to no ends. I'd be less irked if they actually tried to fight and were successful rather than playing "Can't catch me!" at the edges and beating us.

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
I fought a King Dedede who did nothing but stay by the ledge and spam Gordos, and when I approached, he kept camping the ledge, and either let go of the ledge to do an up-air, or if I tried to send him downwards, just float up and use Gordos again.
I'm a patient person, so i just waited for chances to strike and that took like almost the whole time limit. I won, but I left after that.
As mega man you shouldn't have a problem dealing with gordo's just use lemons to reflect them and throw metal blades downwards when he's camping on the ledge.

Last edited:

TheGlamourGroup

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGlamourGroup
3DS FC
4012-5262-5536
This is what I hate:

When people taunt after EVERY SINGLE KILL

Spammers, especially Link, who does smash attacks when you try to come close, Rob, who keeps spamming that neutral B laser thing, tops, and spinning move, Ness, when they spam PK Fire, and other characters.

Excessive shielding and rolling

When people won't leave you alone

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I have a strong feeling that in 2vs2, the ones with high win rates get paired with people with terrible win rates.

It pisses me off so much that I have 10 different matches in a row where I get paired with the ****tiest player in the room. I end up carrying so hard, and still losing cause of this asshole that keeps falling off the stage for no reason

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Fighting assholes who spam, taunt, cheat, and use bull**** tactics. It makes me feel like I'm awful at the game, which leads me to become depressed and want to ****ing break something. It got so bad that I almost thought of killing my own brother when he said he'll tell my mom when I threw my controller at lightning speed at my wall, chipping it. For Glory is where the assholes lurk, and if I could get the chance, I'll hunt down each of these guys and show them how to play the game properly. Sorry... I'm an angry person.

NewZen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NewZen41
One thing and one thing only...

Lag.

I've already deduced that For Glory (Or Smash online in general, for that matter) is not a means to become good at the game, but only so you can just play other humans instead of deal with the God-awful CPU. As such, I don't get mad when I lose, when my opponent taunts, or when my opponent is using a character I hate to fight against, but lag is the one thing that annoys me to no end, regardless of how awesome my connection ends up being. I've SD'd so many times due to terrible connections that my Win Rate has dropped from the 85th percentile range to 79 in about 2 months because people have such terrible online (That, and Nintendo's infrastructure isn't the best...), that's how bad I feel lag is. Then again, this is the reason why I play more with my friends online and cannot wait until the semester starts back at college.

1FC0

Smash Lord
This is what I hate:

When people taunt after EVERY SINGLE KILL

Spammers, especially Link, who does smash attacks when you try to come close, Rob, who keeps spamming that neutral B laser thing, tops, and spinning move, Ness, when they spam PK Fire, and other characters.

Excessive shielding and rolling

When people won't leave you alone
Arm Rotor sucks. I love playing R.O.B.s who spam that. Just wait it out in your shield for an easy punish opportunity. Normally only bad R.O.B.s spam that move and if you lose to them then you are probably a bad player too.
The only exeption is when a good player is playing a bad player, for example I sometimes spam the move when I know my opponent is bad enough to fall for it even though I am too good to think that Arm Rotor is a good spam move. (I may not be a good player by tourney standards but by FG 1v1 standards I am good.)

Last edited:

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
When you win a match and someone dittos you with a clone or semi clone (ex: :4ness: vs. :4lucas:; :4pit: vs. :4darkpit:; :4falco: vs. :4fox:) and they have no idea how to play as that character.

I have seen way too many people switch to:4lucas:after I beat them with:4ness:. Why does this happen?

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
When you win a match and someone dittos you with a clone or semi clone (ex: :4ness: vs. :4lucas:; :4pit: vs. :4darkpit:; :4falco: vs. :4fox:) and they have no idea how to play as that character.

I have seen way too many people switch to:4lucas:after I beat them with:4ness:. Why does this happen?
Because they PK Love you

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
Miss Broken Hitboxes who taunts you every single time you get your stock off by her because you haven't looked up the internet on how to beat her.
:rosalina:

And whoever goes your character because they got their ass kicked, yet they get their ass kicked even more.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Yoshi players annoy me. While I can deal with Eggs being thrown at me, up close Yoshi is a complete nightmare.
Whenever I get grabbed, they pummel me till the grab release, and since the grab release doesn't put you far way from Yoshi, he can follow up with an extremely quick jab.
Also, I hate his dash attack.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
-Assholes that play Kirby or Jiggs and do nothing but jump around and spam aerials
-People playing on dial-up connections, forcing me to unplug my console to get out of the horrifically laggy game without being temp banned (seriously Nintendo, implement some goddamn lag detection ffs)
-Mario uptilt uptilt uptilt uptilt uptilt uptilt uptilt uptilt
-Ness or Lucas with their ridiculous guaranteed autocombos
-Fox/Falco with their insane comboing and reflector with questionable ending frames
-Hyperaggressive yoshis

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Rosalina. Just Rosalina. I HATE this character so much. They just zone you with Luma and if you get close they block/grab. Over, and over, and over. This character ruins the game for me. Every time I get matched up against one, I just want the game to be over as soon as possible. On top of that, roll spamming is always annoying in Smash 4, but Rosalina just takes it to another level. Getting near a Rosalina is so difficult, and when you finally do, they just block/grab or roll away and continue to zone with Luma. I can't describe how much I hate this character. And don't even get me started on Rosalinas that just roll and zone with luma until they kill enough time to get to sudden death.

And why the hell does Luma only have like a 12 second respawn time? There's no point in even killing Luma when the Rosalina player can EASILY roll around and avoid you for a few seconds while Luma respawns.

Also, why the hell can she 'absorb' projectiles?

Seriously, I would be totally cool with completely removing this character from the game. I HATE HER SO MUCH.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Rosalina. Just Rosalina. I HATE this character so much. They just zone you with Luma and if you get close they block/grab. Over, and over, and over. This character ruins the game for me. Every time I get matched up against one, I just want the game to be over as soon as possible. On top of that, roll spamming is always annoying in Smash 4, but Rosalina just takes it to another level. Getting near a Rosalina is so difficult, and when you finally do, they just block/grab or roll away and continue to zone with Luma. I can't describe how much I hate this character. And don't even get me started on Rosalinas that just roll and zone with luma until they kill enough time to get to sudden death.

And why the hell does Luma only have like a 12 second respawn time? There's no point in even killing Luma when the Rosalina player can EASILY roll around and avoid you for a few seconds while Luma respawns.

Seriously, I would be totally cool with completely removing this character from the game. I HATE HER SO MUCH.

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
This isn't exactly For Glory, but it did happen in an FG Tourney. I defeated a Sheik as Donkey Kong (loss streak over!) and was ready to move on when they disconnected. The game froze on the black screen before the tourney standings. I couldn't continue AND took a penalty for "quitting" thanks to their saltiness. ;(

Last edited:

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Another thing that drives me nuts in this game is the time limit. Why the hell does there need to be a 5 minute time limit? Do you know how many games I have lost in sudden death despite having a substantial damage advantage? I mean really, what the hell is the point of having a time limit, let alone a ****ing 5 minute time limit? Seriously, why? It's SO ANNOYING when you are beating someone but then they decide to just avoid you for the next minute and a half, force sudden death, and then win. Honestly, I feel like I'm battling the clock more so than my opponent. For Glory is a complete joke.

These are my most hated gripes with FG.

1. Lag

2. Time Limit

3. Rosalina

Last edited:

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856

Gotta admit, I do that sometimes, especially when I face a Pit, I usually change to Dark Pit to hype things up.
But same goes vice versa, I end up facing a lot of Foxes when I beat their initial character with Falco.

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550

A good counterpick for me it's someone with ranged attacks. i usually choose lucas *because i like him*
Just use your projectiles and zone/spam her out. but even with that she still has some better moves haha.

Last edited:

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
One thing and one thing only...

Lag.

I've already deduced that For Glory (Or Smash online in general, for that matter) is not a means to become good at the game, but only so you can just play other humans instead of deal with the God-awful CPU. As such, I don't get mad when I lose, when my opponent taunts, or when my opponent is using a character I hate to fight against, but lag is the one thing that annoys me to no end, regardless of how awesome my connection ends up being. I've SD'd so many times due to terrible connections high latency that my Win Rate has dropped from the 85th percentile range to 79 in about 2 months because people have such terrible online connections to me, and I to them (That, and Nintendo's infrastructure isn't the best...) (skill-based matchmaking not taking a back seat to latency-based is blasphemy), that's how bad I feel lag is. Then again, this is the reason why I play more with my friends online and cannot wait until the semester starts back at college.
Almost took the words out of my mouth there.
Latency. Is. Terrible.
Damn you, human understanding of the laws of physics. Let my data packets go at FTL speeds!
No, seriously. Even playing with people in the same city as me, with perfect wireless connections (because the Ethernet adapter has terribad bandwidth, and the latency advantage is in nanoseconds) my mains are so ridiculously precise that I can't play the spacing games that I need to win. And that means I can't practice said spacing games. So when I do play a local match, I still might lose.

Some fighting games have completely different tier lists online and off because of this. Online is not kind to this genre at all.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Another thing that drives me nuts in this game is the time limit. Why the hell does there need to be a 5 minute time limit? Do you know how many games I have lost in sudden death despite having a substantial damage advantage? I mean really, what the hell is the point of having a time limit, let alone a ****ing 5 minute time limit? Seriously, why? It's SO ANNOYING when you are beating someone but then they decide to just avoid you for the next minute and a half, force sudden death, and then win. Honestly, I feel like I'm battling the clock more so than my opponent. For Glory is a complete joke.

These are my most hated gripes with FG.

1. Lag

2. Time Limit

3. Rosalina
I've only went to time like once or twice, so I'm not sure why it happens to you so often. The time limit they give should be enough time to finish the match unless you have a character like sonic or villager.. or any campy character.

Lag I understand, that **** is frustrating as hell.

Rosalina is just.. cancer online.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
A good counterpick for me it's someone with ranged attacks. i usually choose lucas *because i like him*
Just use your projectiles and zone/spam her out. but even with that she still has some better moves haha.
I main Meta Knight. Also she can absorb projectiles for some reason. And Luma usually just tanks them anyway.

I've only went to time like once or twice, so I'm not sure why it happens to you so often. The time limit they give should be enough time to finish the match unless you have a character like sonic or villager.. or any campy character.

Lag I understand, that **** is frustrating as hell.

Rosalina is just.. cancer online.
I main Meta Knight, and sometimes killing with MK is really frustrating if they are playing very defensively.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Players with bad sportsmanship no matter the outcome of a battle and decide to flame/troll through tags afterwards.

Last edited:

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
Players with bad sportsmanship no matter the outcome of a battle and decide to flame/troll through tags afterwards.
Agreed. Had one spewing insults and laughter nonstop and then fleeing after he wins one fight, in laggier settings than usual no less. That behavior should really affect their pathetic lives in some way, and I hope they end up more lonely than ever for even thinking of ruining one's fun for their own self-satisfaction.

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
People who don't know how to punish beyond a dash attack. Okay, good job, they've found an opening in me. Then they dash attack, I get sent flying, and then nothing else. I come back down, repeat the process. No followups, no going for the kill, nothing! They won't stop until their staled dash attack KOs me at 180%. It's a death of a thousand tiny bruises. Please save me.

Top Bottom