• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do melee falcon players think of PM Falcon?

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
A few things. Or several.
-His aerial mobility has improved to where you can stop moving mid-trajectory or pull back successfully for his up b recovery more easily
-New specials all kick ass, reversing the Paunch for forcing rolls out of shield is too much fun
-Updated recovery makes recovering so much easier and more well rounded. Gives the Falcon more options which he needed badly. New up+b seems to reach a biiit higher as well
-His speed seems fine to me, don't know what you guys are talking about
-Grab game seems easier
-Nair seems to connect more
-Stickywalk doesn't ****ing work right
-Falcon Kick = anti-projectiles
-Combos seem to be smoother overall, might just be aesthetically different.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Nair is fine >_>

The only gripe anyone of you should have is that Falcon doesn't have the same momentum when he JC grabs as in Melee. That is LITERALLY the only difference (nerf) between the games.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Nair is fine >_>
What he said.
Aside from that, Falcon just doesn't feel right overall. I mean, he plays similar to melee falcon, he just isn't quite "there" yet. He's still great fun to use, though. Soon enough project M falcon will be right up there with melee falcon. 64 Falcon is still my favorite though IMO.

MVP

Smash Ace
Falcon might have the same data as melee, but
If you look at all of the FC Darkrain videos, Falcon is capable of exactly the same things as he is in Melee.
Falcon might have the same data as melee, but until all the melee mechanics/physics of the game are installed/restored, he's not going to feel like melee. Yes they might be similar, but he won't feel the same.

IMO, falcon is a very technical/momentum character in melee. Combos are started when you are in the zone and can feel him. (Same with all characters i know, but ESPECIALLY falcon).

Ace55

Smash Lord
speaking of wall jumping. i have been trying to figure out how to do the scar wall jumping and im not too sure how...i heard that you have to di an extreme amount and would that have changed being transferred into project m from melee with model differences, etc.? i have not seen a video of anyone doing it in project m either
Let's see. I tap C-stick away to let go of the ledge, then tap the control stick away to wall jump, then doublejump while holding towards (I use Y) and perform the aerial of your choice.

Actually feels easier in PM than in melee. I tend to mess it up occasionally in melee.

MVP

Smash Ace
Been going back and forth with PM and Melee, and one thing i've noticed is moonwalking isn't quite right yet. When you moonwalk reverse grab (in PM) you slide forward when you grab. In melee you keep your moonwalking momentum and grab in the other direction. Also with moonwalking, you turn around sooner in PM than in melee

Ace55

Smash Lord
If the PMBR ever feels like giving Falcon a slight buff (aside from the obvious need for PAL gentleman) I suggest PAL weak knee. In PAL it combos into upair against everyone no questions asked (Spacies, Jiggs you name it), in PM... not so much. It's one of the most frustrating things to me with PM Falcon (again after the obvious gentleman). Thoughts? I realize I'm not used to it but it just feels worse.

Talking about gentleman it still doesn't feel quite like it's PAL version on hit. I still get rapid jabs occasionally. I get rapid jabs in PAL Melee like... well actually never. Could just be that the Brawl g-man feels different that the melee PAL g-man (since I assume that's what it is) idk.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I enjoy his buffs, I started using Falcon as a main in Melee after my friend insisted we have "Gannondorf V. Falcon Matches" every time we play as a ritual.

What I don't like is that he didn't get any real physical buffs, bare with me.

He got his reversal punch, which is more of a mind game tactic.
He can grab the edges if he fails to hit with his side B (He fails to squirm away if he hits them in the air with it though, since it only works if your opponent doesn't know what's going on)
He has a better recovery when blasted up top with his Falcon kick allowing another jump after executed.
He received "easy combos" which is a fairly nice way to get the enemy from 0-60% real quick

All of those things appear as buffs as they are, but they feel centered more towards mindgame tricks/recovery options. Except for the last item on the list.

I'm not saying any of it is bad, it's welcomed. Compared to other players in the fray Falcon still stands smack dab in the middle.
It's where he's been, and apparently in the eyes of P:M that's where he will stay.

Only real problem is what posters are saying up there with those faulty Nairs and "weird feeling/weight" on him, but the second seems to be pointed towards his size increase overall.

I really don't know, and I don't care. All I know is that I love to play with him for friendly matches, because he's a blast to play as!

MVP

Smash Ace
gentlemen if very easy to execute in project m. All you do is 1,2,3HOLD and input a directional command (this is if it connects)... if your punching air, its 1,2,....3HOLD input a directional command.

It's hella hard in melee, physics are all ****ed up....

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
I know everyone loves the people's elbow, but personally, I think Falcon's n64 fsmash (that sexy kick that set people on fire) would be much better and fit much better in Project M. Make it a bit faster and not only does Falcon have a faster fsmash, but he also has a bit more viable options when it comes to edgeguarding or comboing.

Oro has already said it, though... The PMBR will not focus on Falcon anymore...They're not going to improve his nair priority, bring back the gentleman, the forwad b that goes through projectiles..They're not going to do anything of that nature..It pisses me off that people are so ignorant when it comes to Falcon.( Including Jcesar) .So, as this game progresses, I get to watch my main stay behind in the meta as he continues to pile up on uphill battles.

Im maining Samus when she's released...Who is with me? :(

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I know everyone loves the people's elbow, but personally, I think Falcon's n64 fsmash (that sexy kick that set people on fire) would be much better and fit much better in Project M. Make it a bit faster and not only does Falcon have a faster fsmash, but he also has a bit more viable options when it comes to edgeguarding or comboing.

Oro has already said it, though... The PMBR will not focus on Falcon anymore...They're not going to improve his nair priority, bring back the gentleman, the forwad b that goes through projectiles..They're not going to do anything of that nature..It pisses me off that people are so ignorant when it comes to Falcon.( Including Jcesar) .So, as this game progresses, I get to watch my main stay behind in the meta as he continues to pile up on uphill battles.

Im maining Samus when she's released...Who is with me? :(
Yea Falcon still has multiple problems, even Hax says he is not as good as Melee Falcon.

Ace55

Smash Lord
gentlemen if very easy to execute in project m. All you do is 1,2,3HOLD and input a directional command (this is if it connects)... if your punching air, its 1,2,....3HOLD input a directional command.
When you're used to 1,2,3 -> do whatever you want it's extremely annoying. And I don't plan on getting used to it because he's my melee main.

It would be a subtle buff, and I think we aIl agree Falcon needs those. I will forever ***** about this until they fix it lol.

MVP

Smash Ace
When you're used to 1,2,3 -> do whatever you want it's extremely annoying. And I don't plan on getting used to it because he's my melee main.

It would be a subtle buff, and I think we aIl agree Falcon needs those. I will forever ***** about this until they fix it lol.
I completely agree it is annoying when your going back and forth between melee and PM, but i just feel that gentleman in PM isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be

TheDoc

Smash Rookie
I think his N-Air (as stated several times before) does need some work. When I picked up falcon his flash is what made me want to be him, the worst thing to play against is a Falcon player with momentum. I think that still applies in PM. When I play or play against a Falcon the momentum is the drive that Falcon players need. They gave him his all important grabs back that blew in Brawl, allowing him to start building the momentum that the player needs. I'm overly ecstatic that they gave him the Knee of Justice back with the improved hit box and the special taunt. But all in all his N-Air is what needs a little bit of work done.
Tiers only matter if you make them matter. Pretty sure Salem won Apex with ZSS against a Meta Knight. Just saying.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Tiers only matter if you make them matter.

Ah the sweet innocence of this statement.

Tiers are mostly determined by matchups, if your matchups suck you're going to have a hard time. That's why Falcon will probably never win a melee (inter)national despite him having a huge playerbase, his matchups against Fox/Falco/Sheik suck.

MVP

Smash Ace
Ah the sweet innocence of this statement.

Tiers are mostly determined by matchups, if your matchups suck you're going to have a hard time. That's why Falcon will probably never win a melee (inter)national despite him having a huge playerbase, his matchups against Fox/Falco/Sheik suck.

agree with 80% of this. Falcon actually has a pretty decent MU vs Fox/Falco. Also, i have my own opinion's when it comes to quote: ''tiers''

IMO the only thing holding him back from winning big in melee is shiek and her dumbass down-throw

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Well call something out, don't be all passive aggressive about it.
Sure, it wasn't that serious lol but yeah.

A few things. Or several.
-New specials all kick ***, reversing the Paunch for forcing rolls out of shield is too much fun
-Updated recovery makes recovering so much easier and more well rounded. Gives the Falcon more options which he needed badly. New up+b seems to reach a biiit higher as well
-Grab game seems easier
-Combos seem to be smoother overall, might just be aesthetically different.
Well I know you know that falcon punching to try to bait a reaction oos isn't a good idea lol.
His recovery for all intents and purposes (survival without excess punishment) is still utter buns and a large reason why he is viewed to be "bad" or underwhelming by a lot of players whether it be subconsciously or actively. He still gets absolutely man handled by simply grabbing the ledge. The only real difference is now you have to refresh your invincibility to take out the possibility of eating a raptor boost and getting meteor'd into a reversal situation as you hang on the ledge preparing your **** for when he lands on stage. Also he is slightly less punishable when he is at the same height as the ledge because it takes less time to raptor boost into a sweet spot horizontally than it does to up B and fade backwards into a sweet spot (instead of going on to stage). But once again both those options are still easily covered so he now effectively has a bad/worse version of a space animal side B which doesn't even make the edge-guarder sacrifice option coverage to stuff.

As far as I know, the hitboxes are the same for his grab. I am also inclined to believe the frames are the same but I couldn't tell you about how his grounded momentum works while grabbing in PM versus melee. So that could be a difference you are feeling, or it might just look different since it's PM or it's placebo. Can't really speak on the smoothness of combos but I am going to go ahead and assume that he accelerates at the same rates with the same top speeds and has the same L-cancel'd landing lag frames as before along with the same range his combos should be almost exactly the same.

This is the juicy part, I want people to focus on this section below. This is the first time I am attempting to form and voice a relatively complete opinion on Falcon.

IMO, falcon is a very technical/momentum character in melee. Combos are started when you are in the zone and can feel him. (Same with all characters i know, but ESPECIALLY falcon).
I think that that is a wrong and bad mentality for Falcon players to have. Combos are started when you grab at the correct percent or land one of his decent combo starters. Lucky for me, as a fairly new player, I was able to harass Umbreon enough to get him to explain to me some of his views while I was still in my game-theory infancy. Here is a post of his, it is about why Fox is a broken character:

Umbreon said:
oh, so you're going to play stupid. or you are stupid. okay, let's do this.

fox operates in the neutral game based on his movement. due to the nature of his initial dash, full run speed, jump speed, and jump height, fox has the ability to move faster than most characters have the ability to cover options when neither character has the ability to punish prior to a conversion (the neutral game). the strategic element to fox's neutral game is therefore basic exploitation of the opponent's inability to cover his options prior to fox dedicating/over-extending on his own error. unlike other characters, fox's core strategy is based fundamentally on his movement and not his moves.

shine does not aid in this functionality. shine is an option for punishment or conversion into punishment only. to complain about fox's shine is to complain about his punishment game. your argument is an inability to deal with his strategic movement with attribution error. if you really wanted to make fox worse or less broken, you would remove his ability to choose when to attack by making his jumps and dash less effective in some way. removing shine does not solve the problem at all, and actually may aid fox by giving the player less incentive to over-extend and reducing poor decision-making on the part of the fox player.

if you're implying that shine is strategic for fox because it encourages the player to play worse when he need not do so, then congratulations, you're just better than me.
Wasn't that utterly delicious? Here is my opinion now, applying this to Falcon. With a better dash dance, more horizontal air speed, and a falling speed that isn't too far off, Falcon effectively is similar to Fox with some differences of course. In a realm of perfection even when considering the flaws of the character, Falcon is a pretty great character due to reasons mentioned above as they can be applied to him. However in the realm of a tournament, sub-optimal play, and "play styles" (having a play style [i.e. "I go for a lot of stomps" or "I play really aggressively"] that involves anything other than correct decision making is degenerative) Falcon beings to struggle and that only gets compounded with his comparatively (relative to the rest of the cast) flawed design.

Falcons instead need to learn optimal play and stick to it. For example you can uthrow Marth into a knee at 68% (if that number is wrong, which I don't think it is, that's not the point, just bare with me). At 68% there is no more chaotic neutral game to flirt in where you can make mistakes and get punished and all the variance becomes negligible because you just knee'd him and he's either going to die or be put in a position to be edge guarded or abused while he tries to fall. All of those situations are very advantageous and if you want Falcon to be good you need to create as many of those situations as possible. When you grab Fox, downthrow him into a tech chase regrab. Do not raptor boost, do not stomp, do not try to knee hoping he missed his tech. Master that sequence and perform it over, over, and then one more time again. Be as lame as possible. However I will say when calling a roll is fairly safe it is okay (i.e. they are by the ledge and they always roll in, then go ahead and try to call it sometimes because if they don't roll into center stage, you still have stage control). Falcon's strengths are his speed, his low kill percents, decent edge guarding, and his grab game.

It does not matter how hard (and easily) Fox can punish you when you are punishing him. But it matters a ton when you start making mistakes, making guesses, and doing other bad things. It is MUCH easier to win the space animal MU has a spacie (because they can play much less perfectly than you and still win) but he has what it takes to do it. When you grab Falco, uthrow him, position yourself correctly and tech chase regrab him. Don't let him pillar you and do 100% before you can reestablish neutral because you grabbed him and decided to stomp in place as a guess and missed your punishment then you got put into a reversal situation. All that being said, Falcon is forever going to have a hard time with Fox and especially Falco simply due to the structure of the game but he is not as flawed as people think.

Some of Falcon's flaws are as followed:
  • low percent game
  • stages can mess with his grab game
  • combo fodder
  • edge guard fodder
  • crouch cancel game
The biggest flaw to me is his low percent game. If that can be optimized then he can become a pretty good character. Also he needs to manifest grabs versus violent characters such as space animals which currently are hard to come by. I believe proficient shield dropping will also help Falcon improve a ton versus Falco so he can platform camp him hard and more or less do what peach does with her float.

While I'm at it, I'll say that S2J and Windrose are probably the two Falcon's with the best and most efficient "play style" (while Hax obviously is the most successful and best Falcon, throw Mango in somewhere too but he does what he wants lol). They emphasize the correct things. Darkrain too I guess when he's active. Mango said that Darkrain is by far the lamest Falcon to play because all he'll do is dash dance grab tech chase. Those are all great things for Falcon to do coincidently. Generally speaking, being lame is playing the game optimally. (i.e. Marth, uthrow->uair juggling repeatedly, Sheik stalling the ledge, Fox platform camping, Falco laser'ing correctly, chain grabbing in general, etc. lame styles are the best styles).

/end. I think that's pretty interesting stuff but that's me and my opinion of my own opinion isn't all that important. lol.

He got his reversal punch, which is more of a mind game tactic.
He can grab the edges if he fails to hit with his side B (He fails to squirm away if he hits them in the air with it though, since it only works if your opponent doesn't know what's going on)
He has a better recovery when blasted up top with his Falcon kick allowing another jump after executed.
He received "easy combos" which is a fairly nice way to get the enemy from 0-60% real quick

All of those things appear as buffs as they are, but they feel centered more towards mindgame tricks/recovery options. Except for the last item on the list.

I'm not saying any of it is bad, it's welcomed. Compared to other players in the fray Falcon still stands smack dab in the middle.
It's where he's been, and apparently in the eyes of P:M that's where he will stay.

Only real problem is what posters are saying up there with those faulty Nairs and "weird feeling/weight" on him, but the second seems to be pointed towards his size increase overall.

I really don't know, and I don't care. All I know is that I love to play with him for friendly matches, because he's a blast to play as!
Not to be a fun sucker but I was told to call out posts I didn't like. lol. Reversible Falcon punch is for all intents and purposes useless. I already spoke on side B and his recovery above, the falcon kick recovery was already in melee, he did not receive "easy combos" idek what you are talking about, and what PM developer said their goal is to make Falcon an average character? There is nothing suggesting that. Falcon most likely is just going to be Falcon with slight and eventual changes and he will wind up being as good or bad as that lets him.

Tiers only matter if you make them matter. Pretty sure Salem won Apex with ZSS against a Meta Knight. Just saying.
God. Lol, read the red section. Tiers matter, a lot. Tiers as we perceive them to be might not be accurate but you would be a fool to think that some characters are not better than others and it affects the outcome of matches and all kinds of other fun stuff.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Reversible Falcon punch is for all intents and purposes useless. I already spoke on side B and his recovery above, the falcon kick recovery was already in melee, he did not receive "easy combos" idek what you are talking about, and what PM developer said their goal is to make Falcon an average character? There is nothing suggesting that. Falcon most likely is just going to be Falcon with slight and eventual changes and he will wind up being as good or bad as that lets him.
Exactly, good or bad as that lets him.
Sounds pretty average to me.

No PM developer out right said their goal was to make him average, but it's apparent that they didn't make him better, if that's what you're getting at by your post clearly nullifying every thought I had that they made him better in P:M.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Exactly, good or bad as that lets him.
Sounds pretty average to me.
Where is average implied in there?
They aren't trying to make Falcon a 50 percentile character, they are just for the most part leaving him alone. If he's a high tier character cool, if he's a bottom 10 character, cool. The goal isn't to put him in the middle because there is no objective goal like that.

I'm glad I win though, winning is pretty cool. It's like you're mad I corrected you. Don't be, I've been corrected a million times and I'm less stupid for each time I get corrected. Some of the stuff you said was just weird, wrong, or arbitrary.

I'm already trying not to be a funsucker lol, I'm just being objective.

@Ace55

what do you think? I wanna have a conversation and see how sound/feasible my thoughts are about falcon

210stuna

Smash Lord
Where is average implied in there?
They aren't trying to make Falcon a 50 percentile character, they are just for the most part leaving him alone. If he's a high tier character cool, if he's a bottom 10 character, cool. The goal isn't to put him in the middle because there is no objective goal like that.

I'm glad I win though, winning is pretty cool. It's like you're mad I corrected you. Don't be, I've been corrected a million times and I'm less stupid for each time I get corrected. Some of the stuff you said was just weird, wrong, or arbitrary.
Exactly, he's average.
He's not the best, and he's not the worst.

And of course I'm not mad, like I said in my OP he's fun to play as in friendly matches for reasons I stated earlier. Which in reality have been corrected by you, which is cool because if what you're saying is true, then he's still the same guy from Melee.
I see a good relation between my original post and your response to mine. Although, I don't see it as "weird, wrong, or arbitrary" heh, save for my last reason in my OP, hence the quotes.

EDIT: Sorry for saying "you win" as it apparently came off as me being in a state of "madness", but that's why I edited it shortly after you replied before I read it. I see your corrections and agree with them as I'm not arguing against them am I? I was not aware you could do 4+ jumps in Melee with Falcon as you can with him in Brawl. That part was my fault.

Ace55

Smash Lord
@Ace55

what do you think? I wanna have a conversation and see how sound/feasible my thoughts are about falcon

Well the faults are pretty spot on. So are the strengths but I'd add his pretty extreme punishment game. As for playing him as 'gay' as possible, there is no going wrong there. Every character should be doing that. However since smash isn't a game with a lot of money in it there isn't that much insensitive to actually play like that. A lot of players don't enjoy that style of play and if you're not enjoying it there really is no point in playing.

But yeah, optimal Falcon play is abusing your mobility and baiting your opponent into one of your many combo starters.

Against spacies idk about techase regrab all day. The damage output is pretty low and messing it up means you'll be eating a shine in most cases. I've probably spend like 75% of my melee career playing against spacies and I still can't get regrabs as reliably as I'd like (could just be me sucking). I do agree with the shield drop thing. The best EU Falcon Jeapie abuses that lot and it totally changes the whole 'I'm stuck on a platform' situation.

Thoroughly agree that despite his new side-b recovery his recovery is still absolutely balls and he basically should never make it back.

What I really don't agree with is that Falcon is better than he seems. Falcon has one of the most established metagames in melee thanks to a large playerbase (probably the most popular char after spacies) and he still has never had amazing succes at (inter)nationals. Heck Pikachu has more top three placings than him. I feel he's overrated if anything.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
What I really don't agree with is that Falcon is better than he seems. Falcon has one of the most established metagames in melee thanks to a large playerbase (probably the most popular char after spacies) and he still has never had amazing succes at (inter)nationals. Heck Pikachu has more top three placings than him. I feel he's overrated if anything.
I think that has to do more with the quality of the Pikachu players. Basically every good pikachu placement that I know of is/was due to Axe and Chu Dat and they are among the best players ever in all seriousness. Either way I don't think you can argue Pikachu placed better than Falcon historically among their respective top players. Unless I'm just wrong.

There has been a ton of Falcon success though, (Isai in the past obviously) and even a lot recently.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/ycz6/ssbm-top-8
(Just push give up, don't wait 10 minutes lol)

Keep in mind a lot of great players who are not Falcon mains by any means do play Falcon in a serious capacity in certain situations, PPU, Westballz, Unknown522, Mango, and Ice are some that I can think of that have great Falcons. (Ice's is ridiculous lol).

I feel like how good Falcon is to someone basically comes down to much you buy into how movement can be an extremely strong and defining tool. That in conjucture with how much you think he can sophisticate and optimize his punish trees to get more 0-deaths and more low percent kills.

As far as melee goes, I think he's in the perfect spot right now.

MVP

Smash Ace
No... no he doesn't. Unless 35-65 at best sounds decent to you.

that's probably your MU vs them.... Just ask Hax or Scar (or me) how they deal with spacies. you don't see them complaining......

I think that that is a wrong and bad mentality for Falcon players to have. Combos are started when you grab at the correct percent or land one of his decent combo starters. Lucky for me, as a fairly new player, I was able to harass Umbreon enough to get him to explain to me some of his views while I was still in my game-theory infancy. Here is a post of his, it is about why Fox is a broken character:
Let me edit my post to be more clear..

IMO, falcon is a very technical/momentum character in melee. Combos CAN are started when you are in the zone and can feel him. (Same with all characters i know, but ESPECIALLY falcon).

Ace55

Smash Lord
that's probably your MU vs them.... Just ask Hax or Scar (or me) how they deal with spacies. you don't see them complaining......

I feel slightly offended. Falco is far and away my best matchup. Hax (and Jeapie) can deal with top level Sheiks but you already stated that matchup is balls too.

MVP

Smash Ace
I feel slightly offended. Falco is far and away my best matchup. Hax (and Jeapie) can deal with top level Sheiks but you already stated that matchup is balls too.

well i'm sorry, you sounded aggressive and it felt like you were attacking my statement...

i place little value on tiers and MU's for many reason. idc if people speculate and other stuff, but there's a lot of variables people leave out when discussing those 2.

i feel like there are to biggest two big factors people seem to forget

1. stage selection
2. players (skill, ability, mental toughness, playstyle etc.)

those 2 make huge differences when it comes to MU and tier speculation. So how can you make concrete MU when players are so diverse? i think its near impossible. (there's other stuff to but those 2 are big for me)

thats just what i think and there are other factors too people forget to think about.

so again, i'm sorry if offended you. didn't mean to

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Falcon lives a hard life in P:M cause everyone around him was buffed like hell and he wasn't, so he has got a laundry list of characters to worry about now

That being said, playing Falcon has always been about being the underdog and putting it in people's p00pholes anyway

And he can still do that, so he's fine

Ace55

Smash Lord
well i'm sorry, you sounded aggressive and it felt like you were attacking my statement...

Not attacking but disagreeing yes. But people see things differently and that's actually a good thing. But if their is any matchup I have played way too much it's vs Falco lol.

I agree matchups in smash* are extremely hard to pin down because of the variety of stages and playstyles. With people both above and below me in skill level I notice that the 'personal' matchup is just as important as the char vs char matchup. However even taking into account all those things I feel like there are four matchups in melee that Falcon outright loses and those include Fox and Falco. Could be 40-60, could be 30-70 but it's an uphill battle.

* With 'smash' I'm referring to meIee and PM, excluding Brawl because of both lack of knowledge and general dislike

Top Bottom