• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What counts as evidence for God?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm christain, but ultimately I don't believe everything my religion and am open to the idea I am wrong.

Science should be separate from this, trying to find truth and logic is not the same as faith.
I take "faith" to mean trust in the absence of assurances. Spiritual faith would be to trust in some deity or other, even if you lack assurances (i.e. you have to trust that God is there, without knowing for certain).

This does indeed have nothing to do with science, where one doesn't place trust in things without at least some assurances. Any reason why you're raising this point (re: the distinction of science and faith)?

I however still hold true that being a good person is what should matter most in terms of value after death of a soul or etc. I would hold true God would be understanding of one being skeptical. It makes sense to me to be skeptical and ask questions. That is how progress is made.
That's one reason that accounts for my apatheistic outlook. It doesn't seem worthwhile to account for the existence of God into my decision-making when I have no awareness or knowledge of God, or how God's existence might impact my life -- no more than how the fact that the sun appears yellow-white has an impact on how I should or should not live my life.

There's a good video by TheoreticalBull**** that touches on this. In short, an all-knowing entity such as God would utterly understand both the factors that influence my non-belief, and the history and experiences that molded this outlook. So the karmic judgement of God doesn't seem worth fretting all too much about, in light of this perspective.

But I digress. Generally not being a **** is something I think most can agree is a sensible proposition, regardless of beliefs and outlooks. 8D

Nino Rybicki

Smash Cadet
As a Catholic, i'll answer the questions.

IMO, the evidence is that we have some mysteries on earth, that no matter how hard we try, cannot be explained. We don't know where Heaven or Hell is because we're still alive and people believe that those places cannot be reached by living people. Only the dead know, and we have no way of contacting them. I suppose they could appear to us in our dreams, but dreams are hard to explain since most of the time we cannot remember them.

I've heard some people say that God no longer intervenes in world affairs and that the days of the prophets are over. I kinda agree with this - I think this has definitely happened. Christianity never says who was the last prophet, though I know Islam believes that after Muhammad there were no more prophets. Even the ancient Greeks believed that their gods would interfere less in human affairs as time went on.

NNID
Budget_Player
As a Catholic, i'll answer the questions.

IMO, the evidence is that we have some mysteries on earth, that no matter how hard we try, cannot be explained.
This isn't evidence of anything, though. How can you possibly go directly from "We can't explain something" to "We can explain it with X"? It doesn't work. It's fundamentally a god of the gaps fallacy, and it doesn't work because simply providing an explanation gives us no reason to believe that that explanation is the correct explanation - something being sufficient to explain something does not make it necessary to explain something. I could just as easily invoke magical time-traveling technology and it would be just as valid of an explanation for these unexplained phenomena (that is, not at all) as your god.

But it gets worse. Explanations with no explanatory or predictive power does not help us, and God absolutely falls into that category. If X is an actor who we cannot quantify or even demonstrate existence for, how does that possibly bring us forward? Inserting "God" into the gaps in our knowledge has consistently had one effect: it has caused people to become irate and go into denial when the real explanation was discovered. It has never gotten us demonstrably closer to the truth.

And given your questions, I'm not convinced you thought this through:

We don't know where Heaven or Hell is because we're still alive and people believe that those places cannot be reached by living people. Only the dead know, and we have no way of contacting them.
We don't know if Heaven or Hell is. You've already jumped ahead a question - we don't start asking about the qualities of something before we establish its existence. And given the qualities of Heaven and Hell, we can never know. We have no way of knowing. There's an infinite number of things you could craft that have qualities that make them impossible to demonstrate at a fundamental level. A tiny, invisible toaster on Mars - does it exist? We don't know. A golden box orbiting Sirius B containing nothing but a wooden spoon and a BeeGee's Greatest Hits album - does it exist? We can't know currently. A god who exists outside of reality and whose actions are so subtle that they are indistinguishable from a world where such a god does not exist - does it exist? We could never know. Should we believe these claims? No. The only rational position is skepticism until given good reason to believe something.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The truth is that the only real evidence of a deity must be something that can be observed with a clear and conscious state of mind (so no drugs or other mental hallucinogens, or dreams). That said, there has yet to be actual proof of a god in any form, and using the whole "supernatural" argument isn't very valid, because the stars and planets, as well as day and night (among other things) were once thought of as supernatural elements only understandable by God, and damn anyone, like Copernicus, who dare try and challenge it. If there is indeed a god, then logic dictates that there will eventually be a way to observe and prove his existence eventually, just as we found that the world was flat, and that the Earth wasn't the center of the universe. Whether such proof (assuming there will be any) will surface in our lifetime remains to be seen, though it's seriously highly doubtful.

I will end my post with these: I'm on the side of Jack Nicholson's character...

And a little food for thought from George Carlin...

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Probably the strongest argument I've seen for the existence of God is the "irreducible complexity" argument; in other words, the fact that just about any cell or organism is so complex that even getting rid of one part reduces it to being unusable.

That being said, even Christian apologists are quick to point out that not every question can be answered and faith is an important, if not necessary factor in all this. You can probably tell by my name and posts that I'm a believer myself, and even I have to admit that if you spent your whole life trying to find all the evidence to "prove Christianity right", it would be an impossible effort. There has to be an element of faith.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Probably the strongest argument I've seen for the existence of God is the "irreducible complexity" argument; in other words, the fact that just about any cell or organism is so complex that even getting rid of one part reduces it to being unusable.
Collapsed for space:

[collapse=On Irreducible Complexity]
The Arguments from Irreducible Complexity never made sense to me. If it is the case that evolution by natural selection has been unfolding for ~3 billion years -- and it most probably is the case, given overwhelming indications -- then you would expect that in time, early, simplistic microscopic life would have gradually accumulated these "complex" parts through mutation and speciation. With billions of years to cover, there's no shortage of time for which such complexity to snowball over millions of generations.

An organism, nor its parts, could be "irreducibly" complex if all life began as simplistic single-unit microorganisms, who in turn (likely) emerged from the complex biochemical reactions of organic molecules (i.e. abiogenesis). That is, if you take an organism and trace back its evolutionary ancestry, then you'd expect to find these "irreducible" components come apart, since they first came about in the first place through the combination/repurposing/addition/subtraction/etc. of other components (via mutation influenced by selective pressures).

I find this video by QualiaSoup to give an apt layman's overview of the flaws of irreducible complexity, more than I do above (and with pleasant graphics to boot). The video's tone is a bit confrontational, since it's directed against anti-evolutionists and creationists and the like (which you don't seem to be), but the information is nonetheless worthwhile.

And as a result of all this, the presence of an intelligent designer is not needed to account for irreducible complexity, nor for anything in biology. At best, you could propose that the Chain of Life was kickstarted by some sort of intelligence, but intelligent influence is not necessary for natural selection to happen, so the ID hypothesis possesses zero explanatory power.

If it doesn't matter one way or the other whether God has a hand in evolution, then God adds nothing to the equation, so you don't need to suppose designers.
[/collapse]

[collapse=On Apologetics]
As for myself, I'm not sure what's the strongest apologetic argument I've come across.You have the heady metaphysical arguments, like arguments from Ontology and Teleology, which purport that only some kind of Prime Mover could have set our universe into being and motion. At most, these arguments can support a Deistic conception of a deity, but I've found that all these arguments show is that there is a necessary ontological bedrock to existence, which need not necessarily be a necessary being (unless you want to call that bedrock "God", but since that term already has some definitional baggage, it would be best to find some other term).

As for these arguments, it's a leap to go from Necessary Being to the Abrahamic God. It might prove some nebulous "God", but not any specific one with specific properties and attributes. Which is why I find them unconvincing.

The Abrahamic God's existence rides or dies on historicity -- that is, whether the events recounted in the Torah/New Testament/Qur'an actually happened. In my (perhaps minimal) exposure to the discourse of religious historicity, I find the refutation to instill too great a doubt to be anything but incredulous before the Bibl's historicity. I've even seen some stuff that proposes that Jesus never existed at all, and was a character created wholesale, or at least an embodiment the messianic archetype found in previous mystery cults and religions.

So the defeater of Abrahamic religions is not philosophy, but history. For me, anyway. So while there may be some greater intelligence(s) out there, it's immensely doubtful that it's the Abrahamic one (let alone a particular denomination's conception of such a God).

The only two fields of apologetics that I've not yet sufficiently examined are the high-level theological concepts (like the Thomistic stuff), and arguments pertaining to the growing new wave of idealist theology (i.e. everything that is is the product of a mind, which is God).
[/collapse]

So those are my thoughts on these two topics. I would encourage you to be skeptical of apologetic arguments that hinge on evolution and intelligent design, since an actual grasp of evolution and biology (even if only a layman's grasp) most usually reveals the flaws in those objections. Since the subjects are interesting in their own right, I would further encourage to expand your knowledge on biology and evolution at your own pace and leisure (much as I am doing).

Which is something I would suggest to everyone else, by the way. :shades:

That being said, even Christian apologists are quick to point out that not every question can be answered and faith is an important, if not necessary factor in all this. You can probably tell by my name and posts that I'm a believer myself, and even I have to admit that if you spent your whole life trying to find all the evidence to "prove Christianity right", it would be an impossible effort. There has to be an element of faith.
Faith confuses me. Perhaps you could clarify some questions that continue to puzzle me to this day:

[collapse=On Questions of Faith]
A) Could you provide a definition, or your definition, of "faith"? What does it mean for me to "believe" in God? Or to "believe" in anything?

There is a chair nearby as I type this. If I had faith in that chair, what would I be doing?

B) Is there a distinction between "religious" faith and "colloquial" faith?

If I say "I have faith in Patty that she'll succeed in her play", there are connotations of trust involved. By saying I have faith in Patty's abilities, I'm saying that "I trust in Patty's abilities to perform well, to the point that I have confidence that she will indeed perform well, even though there's the probability that she might not perform well for whatever reason(s)".

Is that what religious faith is? To simply trust in God's wisdom/abilities/power/plans/etc. ?

C) What's the reason that faith is necessary?

I'm aware that, in order to cash in on Christ's promise of salvation (engineered through the crucifixion), you have to "have faith" in God, to "let Jesus into your heart", and so on. What does any of this mean?

Christian theology has a binary destiny. You either "have faith" and enter the Kingdom of Heaven upon death, or you lack or reject faith, and so you'll enter a state of eternal separation from God's presence. Why is faith the key element? I could lead a virtuous life without having an ounce of faith, and be condemned, or I could lead a life of vice and sin and find earnest faith at the end of my life, and be saved.

Why does one's faith out-prioritize one's actions/deeds/behaviours/thoughts in life, in terms of what criteria are considered for divine judgement?

D) This may be a more directly personal question, so skip it if you wish.

In your life, you've had some kind of first-hand experience, perhaps a profound one, and you've attributed this experience to God and/or Jesus and/or the Holy Spirit and/or so on. Is this the case?

I lack such experiences myself, and I would certainly not undermine the incorrigibility of your own. Though if you care to, I'd be interested in knowing how you determined such experiences to have a supernatural/spiritual/etc. origin, and/or that such experiences are the work of the Holy Spirit in particular, as opposed to some other sources or causes.

E) This is a bit less concerned with faith, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've seen a few times that God created the universe and/or humans so that we might "glorify" God. What does that mean? If I were to glorify and worship the chair nearby, what would I be doing?

And why would God want or need worship and glorification? Did God really create us for the primary -- or sole -- purpose that we can all go "God created everything, and I owe my existence to God, therefore God is just the best. Praise God, everyone!".

That's what I'm hearing when I come across this worship and glorification business. And it sounds pretty bizarre and insidious, and not congruent with God's apparent character (i.e. it doesn't make sense for a supreme being to be interested in ego-stroking). Unless worship and glorification are not about praising the creator for their act of creation, in which case I invite clarification. [/collapse]

So yeah. I'd appreciate it if you could clear these things up, if you find that you can. 8)

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht : I'd like to continue this discussion via pm as it would prob be easier to follow that way, but I'm really looking forward to answering your questions, especially on faith.

I do wanna let you and the rest of the group know though that the conclusions I've come to haven't been easy. I've had plenty of my own "faith crises" over the years and the last thing I wanna do is poll parrot. That really doesn't help anyone.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht : I'd like to continue this discussion via pm as it would prob be easier to follow that way, but I'm really looking forward to answering your questions, especially on faith.

I do wanna let you and the rest of the group know though that the conclusions I've come to haven't been easy. I've had plenty of my own "faith crises" over the years and the last thing I wanna do is poll parrot. That really doesn't help anyone.
Yeah, sure thing. I'll break the ice momentarily.

It's good to see that you're open to discussion. We can all stand to expand our perspectives by comparing and contrasting them.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I used to be very enamored with this debate topic and I've watched plenty of debates online and heard probably every argument for existence of a god and every rebuttal for them.
To answer the primary question, indisputable evidence for the existence of a god could come in the form of the god coming to physically meet us and displaying his power, sort of how Loki came to meet the people of Earth in that Thor movie, but hopefully in a far gentler manner. Or, like others have said, a very specific prophecy being fulfilled to the letter. I've had many people assure me that the end times are approaching because the earthquakes, starvation, and wars occurring like the Bible said it will (ignoring the fact that this has been true for all of documented human history). I've done my research, and yes, I was raised to be Catholic, but it all seems untenable to me.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
There are a few things wrong with this argument.

For starters, it's not really an argument for God. It's an argument against evolution. All it actually says is, "this organism could not possibly have evolved". That's it. You can't get from "evolution is flawed" to "therefore god". It ignores any alternative means of the organism coming to exist in its current form - what if it was genetically engineered by aliens? What if it was irradiated in a freak accident that changed a lot of genes at the same time? Implausible, sure, but more implausible than God? I doubt it - God is pretty complex and pretty unlikely.

But even if it were an argument for God, the problem is that it's had its day both in the scientific arena and in the courts, and in both cases it was essentially laughed out of the room. The court case on the subject is particularly telling. Almost every single time creationists come up with an example of something that "could not possibly have evolved", from the bacterial flagellum to the bombardier beetle to the human eye, evolutionary scientists have gone out and have found not only that it evolved, but how it evolved.

Why should I have faith? The way I see it, people tell me to "have faith" when and only when they want me to believe something without sufficient justification. If they could justify their beliefs to me, they wouldn't ask me to have faith. So why should I have faith? It's like you're saying, "Oh, I don't really have a good reason for believing what I believe, but I believe it anyways... for no good reason."

In the words of Matt Dillahunty:

I have reasonable expectations based on evidence. I have trust that has been earned. I will grant trust tentatively. I don’t have faith. Faith is the excuse people give for believing something when they don’t have evidence. If you can come up with something that I believe and don’t have evidence for, guess what I’ll do? I’ll stop believing it! That’s the nature of a rational mind. That is the goal.

My only goal was to be the best Christian I could be, and represent this to people who didn’t believe. And what I found - because I actually cared about whether or not my beliefs were actually true rather than whether they felt good - was that my beliefs weren’t justified. Try as I might and pray as hard as I could. No answer comes. No evidence is forthcoming. And when I talk to people about this, the only answer they ever offer is the one you did, which is ‘Well, you just got to have faith.’ Well sorry, but I don’t. Well I’m not sorry that I don’t, I’m sorry for others that think that I should have because faith is not a virtue. Faith is gullibility. It’s evidence that determines whether or not your perception of reality is reasonable and in conjunction with the world as it is.

- See more at: http://www.project-reason.org/archi...ue_faith_is_gullibility/#sthash.G1Z313VG.dpuf

@ M15t3R E M15t3R E it's only gotten worse, you know. Now with the internet, people are hearing about so much more than they used to, so all of the "end times" preachers who can't tell the difference between "X is happening more often" and "I am hearing about X more often" are crawling out of the woodwork to spew their crazy. Usually on Youtube.

Last edited:

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
For starters, it's not really an argument for God. It's an argument against evolution. All it actually says is, "this organism could not possibly have evolved". That's it. You can't get from "evolution is flawed" to "therefore god". It ignores any alternative means of the organism coming to exist in its current form - what if it was genetically engineered by aliens? What if it was irradiated in a freak accident that changed a lot of genes at the same time? Implausible, sure, but more implausible than God? I doubt it - God is pretty complex and pretty unlikely.
Agreed; however, irreducible complexity doesn't even say that "this organism could not possibly have evolved", (so there's no need to propose outlandish explanations like aliens). Irreducible complexity, if it were ever shown to exist, would merely say that "this structure couldn't have evolved directly from structures with simpler parts". It couldn't rule out evolution from a more complex structure which then lost some vestigial parts. And in practice it'd be very hard to rule out exaptation, where a part's function changes over time.

NNID
Budget_Player
Agreed; however, irreducible complexity doesn't even say that "this organism could not possibly have evolved", (so there's no need to propose outlandish explanations like aliens). Irreducible complexity, if it were ever shown to exist, would merely say that "this structure couldn't have evolved directly from structures with simpler parts". It couldn't rule out evolution from a more complex structure which then lost some vestigial parts. And in practice it'd be very hard to rule out exaptation, where a part's function changes over time.
True, I was going basically from the expanded way people like Dembski were using it. They were wrong, obviously, but that's pretty much the argument at hand. The very, very dumb argument. :D

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Scientists actually have a very reasonable, well-informed model for how the homo sapien brain came to be, starting from the most distant relatives to us that we know of, implying that irreducible complexity is probably not a thing.

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
All models and/or evidence aside, the problem with this thread (and religious threads in general) is that people do not 'choose' to believe something. They are either convinced by what is presented, or they are not. Even if you can create a pile of evidence in/out of favor of deities, the validity will always be at question. Same goes for logical arguments. You may agree that you can find no error with someone's argument for the non-existence of God, but that doesn't mean you are convinced by it. A person who has already chosen a side while usually stay there, not because of winning/losing arguments, but because of experiences.

I know for a fact that growing up, I looked at situations differently from my friends and parents. They saw the hand of God in everything from someone's death to a traffic jam, whereas I thought I was broken and unable to communicate with Him or see Him in His actions.

If I could summarize why I'm convinced of the nonexistence of God(s), it would be that there are multiple religions. To me, this means that religions form naturally as part of human social interaction (primal government, unexplained blahblah).

It also stands that the world is exactly the way you would expect it to be if there were no God. People die for no reason and have pain for no reason. There aren't miracles or prophets, or anything only possible with mystical powers.

Even the purpose of there being a 'current life' and and afterlife doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I know all the reasons people give, but when it comes down to it, supreme purposes are just as meaningless as any other purpose.

Also doesn't help that most Gods are flawed and sometimes outright terrible, even in their own holy books.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
All models and/or evidence aside, the problem with this thread (and religious threads in general) is that people do not 'choose' to believe something. They are either convinced by what is presented, or they are not. Even if you can create a pile of evidence in/out of favor of deities, the validity will always be at question. Same goes for logical arguments. You may agree that you can find no error with someone's argument for the non-existence of God, but that doesn't mean you are convinced by it. A person who has already chosen a side while usually stay there, not because of winning/losing arguments, but because of experiences.

I know for a fact that growing up, I looked at situations differently from my friends and parents. They saw the hand of God in everything from someone's death to a traffic jam, whereas I thought I was broken and unable to communicate with Him or see Him in His actions.
It may be that convictions are deeply ingrained, but I would nonetheless say that discussing these topics has some value, if only to seed new ideas and perspectives in the minds of others, or to expand their points of view. It may not cause any 180-degree spins in worldview, but it may provide a starting point for reflection.

I would expect that theistic and non-theistic outlooks are molded primarily by environment (i.e. your culture, your social circles, etc.). The people who hang out with regularly will likely influence your beliefs due to social biases. Secondarily, access to education and information would be a sizeable factor.

That, and direct exchange and exposure with those who don't necessarily share your views, can have some impact. Maybe not as your culture and environment IRL, but if you can get at least one person on any side to reconsider their thinking, then progress is made on all fronts (though admittedly, we're in a debate subsection on a Smash website, so it's not like the potential audience is big to begin with XD).

Or, maybe I just don't want to think that I've wasted hours typing up long posts in this subforum, when people's minds can't be changed or influenced due to ingrained convictions. 8P

If I could summarize why I'm convinced of the nonexistence of God(s), it would be that there are multiple religions. To me, this means that religions form naturally as part of human social interaction (primal government, unexplained blahblah).

It also stands that the world is exactly the way you would expect it to be if there were no God. People die for no reason and have pain for no reason. There aren't miracles or prophets, or anything only possible with mystical powers.

Even the purpose of there being a 'current life' and and afterlife doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I know all the reasons people give, but when it comes down to it, supreme purposes are just as meaningless as any other purpose.

Also doesn't help that most Gods are flawed and sometimes outright terrible, even in their own holy books.
I agree with all of this, though I would also add historicity to the mix. Verifying the historical legitimacy of sacred texts without using said texts as evidence is hard work indeed, since there is hardly any sound corroborating historical confirmation of events (if at all). Maybe it's because records were lost or not kept well or corrupted by Man.
Or maybe its because these fantastical events never actually happened, being embellished legend or repurposed myths or outright fabrications.

Ironically, it's the stuff outside these sacred texts that stand as their greatest defeaters.

NNID
Budget_Player
The trick here is not to attack the individual arguments, but rather to examine the epistemology at play. To say, "Okay, you believe that - why do you believe that, and is that rational? How do you view the world?" To move the discussion away from god and towards how you examine the world as a whole. If you can make someone understand that faith is not a reasonable justification for believing in something, you can make great strides towards convincing them not to believe in a god.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I definitely agree that you can give people new perspectives and that this sort of discussion can be helpful for showing people ideas that they may not have thought about before. I was more talking about the nitty-gritty logical arguments like Kalam Cosmo or the Ontological argument, or just arguments like this on either end of the spectrum, when I mentioned them being thoroughly unconvincing.

The history is definitely something interesting, but I just have a natural distrust of history. If the current day is any measure, very few texts can be trusted, especially if written by a religious person or person specifically against a religion. I gave up caring when I saw arguments about the verification/forgery of different historians.

The only change I'm trying to really say is that people should be more focused on convincing arguments on topics like this, rather than just winning. Having your views examined by others, like BPC is saying, is definitely one of the best ways to go about it. If you can readily defend your own beliefs, you can make a convincing case to yourself and others. If not, you might want to re-examine. People often spend a lot of time questioning others' beliefs without thinking to question their own. I'm as guilty as most everyone else on this account. Some things you just take for granted, otherwise you can't ever get anywhere.

A "Challenge my Beliefs" thread would be an amazing DH addition.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
I hold that the natural state of a person is theism, based on the fact that every single society every discovered has always had a religious belief associated with it. Not one natural atheist society has ever been seen, discovered or mentioned.

I hold free will to be self evidence due to the choices a person makes every second

I hold Jesus is at a minimum guaranteed to have existed as a poor jewish teacher who went around talking about the kingdom of God and was executed by Pontius Pilate by crucifixion, and that shorty afterwards followers of him began claiming to see him and that he resurrected from the dead. I do not hold those beliefs on any faith but based on history

I hold that there is no logical formulation for human morality that does not include a Higher power or higher spiritual mystery

And while the tenets of whats moral and what isn't might not be clear, I hold the existence of moral principles to be self evident, again due to every single society to have ever formed has always had right and wrong actions, and they have always believed these actions to extend past human interactions but to relate to the very nature of the universe.

Due to this I say the burden of proof is on the atheist to prove that deities do not exist.

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
I hold that the natural state of a person is theism, based on the fact that every single society every discovered has always had a religious belief associated with it. Not one natural atheist society has ever been seen, discovered or mentioned
What's a "natural" society? What about Tibet, whose majority religion (Buddhism) has no deity?

How come babies need to be taught that God exists if their natural state is theism?

I hold Jesus is at a minimum guaranteed to have existed as a poor jewish teacher who went around talking about the kingdom of God and was executed by Pontius Pilate by crucifixion, and that shorty afterwards followers of him began claiming to see him and that he resurrected from the dead. I do not hold those beliefs on any faith but based on history
The evidence that Jesus even existed is sketchy because no contemporary historians wrote about him. The earliest writings came many decades after his supposed life and death, and many different versions of his story were floating around before the Church decided what was canon.

I hold that there is no logical formulation for human morality that does not include a Higher power or higher spiritual mystery
Who says human morality needs a "logical formulation"? I assume you mean a rationally mandatory basis, such as Kant tried to give. This path is blocked by Hume's is/ought dilemma: no system of morality can have a "logical formulation" in this sense.

And while the tenets of whats moral and what isn't might not be clear, I hold the existence of moral principles to be self evident, again due to every single society to have ever formed has always had right and wrong actions, and they have always believed these actions to extend past human interactions but to relate to the very nature of the universe.

Due to this I say the burden of proof is on the atheist to prove that deities do not exist.
Burden of proof comes with claiming that something exists. Doesn't matter how many people and societies have made (variations of) that claim throughout history.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I come here to see @ AfungusAmongus AfungusAmongus providing an abridged version of what I've spent upwards of an hour whipping up (as is my unfortunate neurosis :awesome:). So I suppose my response below will serve as an elaboration on the points Afungus made:

[collapse=SEHNSPLANATIONS]
I hold that the natural state of a person is theism, based on the fact that every single society every discovered has always had a religious belief associated with it. Not one natural atheist society has ever been seen, discovered or mentioned.
It is the case that all cultures have formed some theistic framework for themselves.

At the very least, it shows an innate predilection for theism in humans. To say that it implies a connection to actual theistic forces, however, is another matter, since it’s also plausible that this “theism effect” can be accounted for by naturalist means. Things like agency detection and personification, ignorance of the world and nature leading to attempts of explanations based on available experience and knowledge, the various biases inherent in human thinking, etc.

We can observe and measure such things, and they are congruent with our observed reality. It is much harder to corroborate the theistic account, beyond testimonials of spiritual experience. So for now, the naturalist account has greater explanatory power as to the theism effect.

The plurality of faith is also interesting. If we’re all receivers for a theistic radio signal, why the plurality of faiths? Why Abrahamic and Dharmic and Paganist and Animist religions? They can’t all be right at the same time. But they could all be wrong across the board.

Maybe this plurality is the result of people interpreting their “theistic” experiences in differing ways.

Maybe this plurality is the result of people interpreting their experiences generally in differing ways.

The natural state may be theism. But that might just be a quirk emergent of our genes. Point being that because there are alternative explanations (theistic signals VS neurological effects), the strength of your assertion becomes more tenuous.

Also, that no naturally-occurring, wholly nontheistic society has ever emerged does not prove your assertion by default. It only shows human societies tend toward theistic outlooks (for which, again, there may exist more than one possible explanation).

I hold free will to be self evidence due to the choices a person makes every second
Free-will is not self-evident. The experience of free-will might be.

Because we all have the experience of agency, and these experiences are incorrigible. But what of reality beyond our experience? Do we have total agency? Limited agency? What if we are on the rails of predestination, only feeling as though we have agency?

The reason the agency VS determinism debate is still ongoing is because we have yet to find a way to corroborate our experience of agency with things independent of our experience. The only evidence we have for free-will is that we feel like we have it. To find external, corroborating evidence may be a tall order, since we are utterly enmeshed in our experience. Perhaps you could say that we are our experience (or an experience).

But so long as we don’t have a way to independently confirm agency outside of our own sense of agency, we can’t say that agency is self-evident. You can’t use the feeling of free-will to prove free-will, since the question is the legitimacy of that feeling. To do would result in a circular proposition which refers to nothing outside itself.

I hold Jesus is at a minimum guaranteed to have existed as a poor jewish teacher who went around talking about the kingdom of God and was executed by Pontius Pilate by crucifixion, and that shorty afterwards followers of him began claiming to see him and that he resurrected from the dead. I do not hold those beliefs on any faith but based on history.
History is not my forte. I would be hard-pressed to offer citations or sources that support or defend the historicity of Jesus.

Yet I have recently been dipping my toes into the subject of historicity. I’ve been coming across the idea that Jesus never existed at all as an actual historical figure (let alone a divine messiah).

TheThinkingAtheist did a radio podcast in December featuring biblical historians David Fitzgerald, Dr. Richard Carrier, and Dr. Robert M. Price, who presented prospective evidence of Jesus as a fabrication, refutations of common historical arguments and proclaimed sources, and underlining the (frankly surprising) lack of and great difficulty discerning the legitimacy of, corroborating historical evidence of Jesus independent of scripture, both as a historical figure and as messiah. More recently, AronRa hosted Dr. Price on his Ra-Men podcast, where he again discussed the historicity of Jesus (and why it's a lot less probable than most might think).

I found these to be informative pieces, since our Western culture tends to take that Jesus existed as a given, whether as a man or as God Incarnate. I too had once thought that Jesus was probably a historical figure at most, yet faced with this information, I have to find even that notion ambiguous at best. I leave the links to the videos above, for yourself and others to view.

And if anyone does have refutations for the information presented in these podcasts, then by all means present them (though perhaps it would be best to do so in a Historicity of Jesus thread). Again, I don’t think I’d be able to hold my weight in such a discussion; I only invoke the above podcast interviews to show that even the notion of Jesus as a man embellished by legend and myth may be tenuous (let alone the notion of a miraculous messiah man).

Logic, as a branch of philosophy, is the framework for the exchange, analysis, and study of propositions and their relations.

You could, therefore, derive a moral code or philosophy out of axioms and their relations alone. So long as such a system is consistent to its axioms and free of contradiction and fallacy, you have a perfectly valid and logical moral philosophy.

Axioms are otherwise arbitrary foundational rules that you set in place and agree to hold to. An axiom for a moral philosophy could be “the standard of morality emerges from a Higher Power superseding the authority of Man”. But one could just as easily say “the standard of morality emerges from puppies superseding the authority of Man”. And this, because of the nature of axioms.

So it is not in fact the case that a Moral Lawmaker is the “necessary foundation” of a logical moral philosophy. The foundation is whichever axiom(s) you set, and these are never “necessary”.

That human societies have a propensity for behaving in similar ways does not demonstrate the existence of moral “principles” that exist independent of human experience. What it shows, if anything, is that it is in human nature to act in certain ways (which can be classified as “right” or “wrong”).

As with the “theism” effect, you can account for moral behaviour through naturalist concepts—foremost among them things like a pro-social evolutionary heritage, wherein we feel that it is “good” to act in the interest of others “bad” to act against the interest of others. And this, because pro-sociality is a survival strategy that maximizes the long-term benefit of the whole.

Also, the fact that many in the past and present believe their actions to have moral consequences extending beyond human experience only shows that many in the past and present believe their actions to have moral consequences extending beyond human experience. That Jimbob believes “X” has no necessary bearing on whether “X” is in fact the case.

As for which ethical framework is the best or most optimal, this is another discussion. But God need not be a “necessary” component of such systems, nor need God show up anywhere in such an optimal framework.

If it is incumbent on the atheist, it is also incumbent on the Hindu, and the Zoroastrian, and the Taoist, and the Buddhist, and the New Age mystic, and every one else—for you propose the Judeo-Christian God as being the deity du jour.

Burden of proof always and invariably applies to the one making the claim. If you claim that something is true or false, then the onus is on you to support your claim.

You claim the actual existence of the Judeo-Christian deity. So you have a burden of proof to support that claim. Though I would say that, following my examination of your points, that at the very least, your assertions of self-evidence are doubtful. The most charitable outcome is that the jury is still very much out on each of your claims.

By virtue of a lack of theism, I am by definition an atheist. If I were to claim that the Judeo-Christian deity does not in fact exist, I would have a burden to support my claim. I would be hard pressed to do so, since it is much easier to prove that something does exist, than to disprove it. Because I can prove something exists simply by demonstrating it; but to fully determine the non-existence of a thing, I would need to turn every proverbial stone, just to be sure.

I’m not in a position to do so. I can only respond to the (positive) claims that you forward. And in my exposure to theistic claims, I either find them incoherent or inconsistent, or there is too much doubt due to alternative explanations and refutations to warrant that I accept them. It is in this respect that I am an atheist—not because I claim “there is no Judeo-Christian God!”, but by default of not accepting claims I fail to find credible or warranted.
[/collapse]

I invite you, Maven, to expand on the claims you’ve made, since they all essentially consist of bald assertions. Perhaps by illustrating your rationales for their credibility, they will seem more substantiated.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
Not quite true there. But even if it was, so what? We're hardwired to find patterns that aren't there, to see agency in everything, to not understand large numbers or statistics. All of these things bite us in the ass on a regular basis. Why would the fact that we're hardwired to believe in some supernatural power be proof that that supernatural power exists any more than the fact that we're hardwired to believe in conspiracy theories is proof that there was a second shooter?

That's a bit of a hard sell, given that there's no way to know if you could have chosen differently. I choose to sit on my ass and write a long response to this post. Could I have chosen differently? I have literally no way of knowing. Choice could very easily be an illusion.

Citation, please?

What does this mean? "Logical formulation"? There's no logical formulation from first principles for anything, as the problem of hard solipsism has yet to be solved. And how would a higher power solve that problem? How do you define morality? Here, let me put a marker on every term here that needs defining:
I hold that there is no (logical formulation)* for (human (morality)*)* that does not include a (Higher power)* or (higher spiritual mystery)*
Seriously, without knowing what you're talking about, I can't really tell what you mean.

So why then is it that the moral principles of various societies have varied so drastically over time? Civilizations before ours practiced horrific things such as human sacrifice and slavery. They believed that certain peoples were worth more than others, or that they weren't human at all. They believed in state-sponsored murder, and in saving infidel's souls by killing them.

Moreover, moral principles differ even within a society from person to person. Some people see no problem with the objectification of women; others see it as a serious problem. Some people see homosexuality as the scourge destroying modern society who ought to be put to death; others see the people who think that as immoral thugs. Some people think abortion is murder; some people think it's justifiable manslaughter; some people think the concept of fetal personhood is ridiculous.

If there are some external moral principles that we all somehow feel obligated to follow, what's going on here?

I have an alternative hypothesis. Humans are empathic, social animals. We're phenomenally good at placing ourselves into other people's shoes (well, relatively speaking anyways), and understanding how our actions affect others. When I consider murdering someone, my brain immediately starts to think, "How would I like it if I was murdered?" and comes to the answer, "Oh ****, I would hate that. I shouldn't do that." And of course, this also makes sense from an evolutionary perspective as well - groups where people murdered each other would fare significantly worse than groups where people didn't.

The reason that murder has been a big fat "no-no" in every culture in the history of mankind is not because of some objective moral principle outside of ourselves. Rather, it's because humans are almost universally capable of seeing, "****, I would hate to be murdered, I'm not going to murder someone", or, failing that, most humans are capable of seeing, "Murder is bad for everyone involved" and the few psychopaths who can't are capable of seeing, "If I murder someone, I'm going to be sent away from my tribe and it will suck for me".

This is more or less a short-and-dirty version of a few of the various arguments for secular morality. If you're interested in learning more, check out the talks on secular morality by Matt Dillahunty - he's pretty great at explaining the issue.

That's not how this works.

You're making an existence claim. The burden of proof is and always will be firmly on your shoulders - it's philosophically impossible, after all, to prove that you're wrong when you claim that something exists. The only question now is "have you fulfilled that burden". And we can go over your arguments and evidence to see whether or not that's the case.

I don't think so. I think your arguments are very flimsy and many of them are easily refuted. You provide no evidence for the claims about Jesus, and ignore pertinent evidence about various cultures and themes that refute your arguments. I'd look for other arguments, personally - arguing about morality is a complete dead end when it comes to proving a god exists. Not the least of which because it runs into the same problem that souls run into - do animals get these moral principles? When, in our evolutionary history, did we become aware of them? Evolution completely trashes a whole lot of apologetics in a very unapologetic way.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Awesome, lots of responses. I answered everyone separately.

Edit: apparently the word for r. ape is censored here, replace the censored word with that since it's what I'm mentioning. Sorry if this is considered censor dodging but it's for a legitimate discussion s

. Things like agency detection and personification, ignorance of the world and nature leading to attempts of explanations based on available experience and knowledge, the various biases inherent in human thinking, etc.
While this may be an explanation, the major point was that man is not naturally atheist. The natural state of man is theism. Gather some children together, throw them in isolation with no contact, they'll still come out believing there's a life after death. We know this from history.

We can observe and measure such things, and they are congruent with our observed reality. It is much harder to corroborate the theistic account, beyond testimonials of spiritual experience. So for now, the naturalist account has greater explanatory power as to the theism effect
When it comes to personal accounts, sure.
The plurality of faith is also interesting. If we’re all receivers for a theistic radio signal, why the plurality of faiths? Why Abrahamic and Dharmic and Paganist and Animist religions? They can’t all be right at the same time. But they could all be wrong across the board.
That's not really a problem at all unless you're a muslim and believe everyone is naturally muslim. The idea that humanity comprehends that there is more then the material world does not require humanity to have actual knowledge of it.
Side note: I wasn't very focused with my previous post and sort of threw a bunch of stuff at the wall. The argument I'm going to be trying to make here is that the world is not just materialistic.
The natural state may be theism. But that might just be a quirk emergent of our genes. Point being that because there are alternative explanations (theistic signals VS neurological effects), the strength of your assertion becomes more tenuous.
I don't see how the fact that it can have a natural explanation removes it from the equation? Why have it at all?
Also, that no naturally-occurring, wholly nontheistic society has ever emerged does not prove your assertion by default. It only shows human societies tend toward theistic outlooks (for which, again, there may exist more than one possible explanation)
The argument is that almost every single human to have ever existed has experienced somethings spiritual. The ones who say they never have and don't are the small, tiniest minorities of humanity, both to exist now and to ever have existed. If 40 million people from all different parts of the world say they're feeling a connection to something higher, that is pretty good evidence that something higher has to exist, even if not any of the specifics. If 99.9% of every human to have existed feels the same, that's even better evidence.
Free-will is not self-evident. The experience of free-will might be.
How can you experience what doesn't exist?
Because we all have the experience of agency, and these experiences are incorrigible. But what of reality beyond our experience? Do we have total agency? Limited agency? What if we are on the rails of predestination, only feeling as though we have agency?
The reason the agency VS determinism debate is still ongoing is because we have yet to find a way to corroborate our experience of agency with things independent of our experience. The only evidence we have for free-will is that we feel like we have it. To find external, corroborating evidence may be a tall order, since we are utterly enmeshed in our experience. Perhaps you could say that we are our experience (or an experience)..
Even when science had no understanding of disease or how it was spread we still understood that disease exist because we can experience it. We can notice that we make choices.
But so long as we don’t have a way to independently confirm agency outside of our own sense of agency, we can’t say that agency is self-evident. You can’t use the feeling of free-will to prove free-will, since the question is the legitimacy of that feeling. To do would result in a circular proposition which refers to nothing outside itself.
This is false, as you can easily use the exact same argument to disprove anything humanity has ever discovered. We use common sense to tell us about the universe, but how do we know our common sense works? By the use of our common sense. We see fire, we think it's hot. We touch it, it is hot. Fire is hot. The initial assessment, the experiment, the data, the conclusion, all determined by our common senses. If your argument is correct then we can no longer claim to know a single thing, not even if we exist.
(Note: sorry didn't watch the podcasts)
I found these to be informative pieces, since our Western culture tends to take that Jesus existed as a given, whether as a man or as God Incarnate.
That's not historically true. The question of Jesus was more then open to criticism since the 18th century, and in fact most of the American founding fathers did not believe in Jesus historically. The fact that you just linked to a podcast shows that debate about Jesus's existence are more then allowed in our country.
And I didn't watch the podcasts, I'll get back to it later since that sidetracks it. I will, however, point out again the support among historians for Jesus' existence is in the same category as biologist support for evolution.

Logic, as a branch of philosophy, is the framework for the exchange, analysis, and study of propositions and their relations.
You could, therefore, derive a moral code or philosophy out of axioms and their relations alone. So long as such a system is consistent to its axioms and free of contradiction and fallacy, you have a perfectly valid and logical moral philosophy.
Axioms are otherwise arbitrary foundational rules that you set in place and agree to hold to. An axiom for a moral philosophy could be “the standard of morality emerges from a Higher Power superseding the authority of Man”. But one could just as easily say “the standard of morality emerges from puppies superseding the authority of Man”. And this, because of the nature of axioms.
So it is not in fact the case that a Moral Lawmaker is the “necessary foundation” of a logical moral philosophy. The foundation is whichever axiom(s) you set, and these are never “necessary”.
I don't get this. You claim there is no need for a moral lawmaker, but in your example you proposed an example of a moral lawmaker (although a ridiculous one), but then seemed to be arguing on the idea that you didn't.
As with the “theism” effect, you can account for moral behaviour through naturalist concepts—foremost among them things like a pro-social evolutionary heritage, wherein we feel that it is “good” to act in the interest of others “bad” to act against the interest of others. And this, because pro-sociality is a survival strategy that maximizes the long-term benefit of the whole.
Yet there's multiple religious concepts that go against evolutionary nature. **** is a prime example. In evolutionary terms, **** is good, it allows for more reproduction, more gene spreading. Yet almost every religion has laws against ****.

What's a "natural" society? What about Tibet, whose majority religion (Buddhism) has no deity?
I actually used to be a Buddhist so I can tell you first hand there are definitely dieties in Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism specifically. Avalokitesvara is a prominent one. In Buddhism they are called Bodhisvata and are not considered creator gods or all powerful, as they're still bound by karma, but they have omniscience and can answer prayers.
How come babies need to be taught that God exists if their natural state is theism?
Which God? They need to be told of Jevohva, or Jesus, or Allah, or of the Brahma or Buddha, but a person does not need to be told the basic concepts of religion (mystical higher purpose, correct way to act, rewards come from acting correctly), again religion has developed independently everywhere in the world in every society ever discovered. Religious belief is as natural to humanity as social constructs, governments or family units.
The evidence that Jesus even existed is sketchy because no contemporary historians wrote about him.
No one wrote about Alexander the Great for several hundred years after his death.
Who says human morality needs a "logical formulation"? I assume you mean a rationally mandatory basis, such as Kant tried to give. This path is blocked by Hume's is/ought dilemma: no system of morality can have a "logical formulation" in this sense.
So what then is your explanation for a system of morality? Do you believe Morality exists?
Burden of proof comes with claiming that something exists. Doesn't matter how many people and societies have made (variations of) that claim throughout history.
My point was that some sense of theology being correct is pre-evident,

That's a really horrible article that twists the book to fit the blog writers concepts. The Piraha are not "athiest" and Everett never claimed as such. They do not have a creator being but Everett himself recounts a story of them telling him about a cloud god named Xigaga was shouting at them, and when Everett insisted he couldn't see anyone they argued with him and insisted he was clearly visible and shouting at them.

But even if it was, so what? We're hardwired to find patterns that aren't there, to see agency in everything, to not understand large numbers or statistics. All of these things bite us in the *** on a regular basis.
You are mistaken. We are not hard wired to find patterns that aren't there, if that was the case we'd be a really dumb species. We're hardwired to find patterns.

That's a bit of a hard sell, given that there's no way to know if you could have chosen differently. I choose to sit on my *** and write a long response to this post. Could I have chosen differently? I have literally no way of knowing. Choice could very easily be an illusion.
As could the entire world you live in. Maybe you live in a computer program and everything your senses tell you is false.

Citation, please?
They're in books, not internet blogs. The best book i can recommend is "Did Jesus exist?", written by athiest Bart Ehrman who has a PHD in new testament studies and is largely considered a prominent expert in the field. You can download it or just find a summary of it somewhere.

Seriously, without knowing what you're talking about, I can't really tell what you mean.
Use a dictionary then

So why then is it that the moral principles of various societies have varied so drastically over time? Civilizations before ours practiced horrific things such as human sacrifice and slavery. They believed that certain peoples were worth more than others, or that they weren't human at all. They believed in state-sponsored murder, and in saving infidel's souls by killing them

Moreover, moral principles differ even within a society from person to person. Some people see no problem with the objectification of women; others see it as a serious problem. Some people see homosexuality as the scourge destroying modern society who ought to be put to death; others see the people who think that as immoral thugs. Some people think abortion is murder; some people think it's justifiable manslaughter; some people think the concept of fetal personhood is ridiculous.

If there are some external moral principles that we all somehow feel obligated to follow, what's going on here?
Obviously people do what they will or want. If you believe there are no external moral principles then you have to admit you are the same morally as people like Adolf Hitler and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. The holocaust wasn't a bad thing because there is no more bad in your world view.

I have an alternative hypothesis. Humans are empathic, social animals. We're phenomenally good at placing ourselves into other people's shoes (well, relatively speaking anyways), and understanding how our actions affect others. When I consider murdering someone, my brain immediately starts to think, "How would I like it if I was murdered?" and comes to the answer, "Oh ****, I would hate that. I shouldn't do that." And of course, this also makes sense from an evolutionary perspective as well - groups where people murdered each other would fare significantly worse than groups where people didn't.
The people getting murdered would be worse, the ones who murdered would do better because there's less competition.

The reason that murder has been a big fat "no-no" in every culture in the history of mankind is not because of some objective moral principle outside of ourselves. Rather, it's because humans are almost universally capable of seeing, "****, I would hate to be murdered, I'm not going to murder someone", or, failing that, most humans are capable of seeing, "Murder is bad for everyone involved" and the few psychopaths who can't are capable of seeing, "If I murder someone, I'm going to be sent away from my tribe and it will suck for me".
Is your concept of a morality "what is evolutionary benefitiial to humanity"? Because if that's not what morality is then I'm not sure how you can argue for an evolutionary cause.

Evolution completely trashes a whole lot of apologetics in a very unapologetic way.
I honestly don't think you understand what evolution is

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The others are much smarter than myself, and can words things much better, but all the same I'd like to put forth my thoughts even if I might be redundant.

If you think that when enough people believe something it becomes true, then you must really like Plato. Unfortunately, if we submitted your criteria of evidence as sufficient, we'd be led to conclude many silly fantastical beliefs humanity has and continues to hold that you would laugh at, and very many that would be contradictory of each other. I also do not understand what you mean by "natural" and why this has any sort of significance outside of zero-sum consequences, this is something that is on you to prove, not us. Sehnsucht brings up the is/ought fallacy, and that applies well here. It is especially a strange fallacy to commit when there is such a thing as the Problem of Evil that has only ever received philosophical excuses of the highest caliber.

Also, no man has demonstrated that an objective right or wrong exists, even with the help of some sort of higher power. Morality is just a word for conduct, the way a species carries itself and what its predilections hold, something that necessarily exists but isn't evident of anything else. You can prove Godwin's Law all you want by bringing up Holocaust, but that doesn't really change anything, it also doesn't make one indistinguishable from Hitler which is just silly. This existence is indistinguishable from one without objective principles, we aren't nihilists for the same reason you aren't; what you think is necessary is entirely superfluous. We don't need to have some transcendent being that we can't make sense of to lead our lives.

Humans can only see patterns that exist? You must not know about psychology as much of what is discussed flies in the face of that conclusion. The brain seeks to create order and fill in blanks from the subconscious. As you can imagine, this isn't infallible because even if we're the most intelligent species on the planet, we aren't infallible beings, and we certainly don't always possess the proper sensory-data to only make perfect connections; not to mention mental disorders, which aren't binary and more of a continuum that we all can to various degrees share in without being "diagnosed". In fact, there's a word specfically for the idea of seeing order where there is not: pareidolia.

I'd like to ask what exactly do you think free will is in the brain, and what is meant by "free"?

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
While this may be an explanation, the major point was that man is not naturally atheist. The natural state of man is theism. Gather some children together, throw them in isolation with no contact, they'll still come out believing there's a life after death. We know this from history.
Really? We do? Throughout history, there have been a large number of gods, and religious power structures are extremely efficient at self-propagation, just like any system that combines the ability to make people want to kill each other with the ability to say that it is morally just. The power of religion in antiquity largely came from this ability to say, "join us or die" without appearing evil or coming into contact with cognitive dissonance. Is it any wonder that such systems, emerging naturally (I'll get back to this), would come to dominate human discourse?

That's a really horrible article that twists the book to fit the blog writers concepts. The Piraha are not "athiest" and Everett never claimed as such. They do not have a creator being but Everett himself recounts a story of them telling him about a cloud god named Xigaga was shouting at them, and when Everett insisted he couldn't see anyone they argued with him and insisted he was clearly visible and shouting at them.
Whether or not you choose to call Xigaga a "god" is questionable at best, but the important point is that he differs significantly in one aspect from the theistic concepts of god - these people claimed very clearly that they could see and/or experience it. This is a huge difference from most theological concepts throughout history. They certainly are not hardwired to believe in a god the way you claim. But more to the point...

You are mistaken. We are not hard wired to find patterns that aren't there, if that was the case we'd be a really dumb species. We're hardwired to find patterns.
Perhaps I misspoke. We are hardwired to see patterns, even when there are none there. It's called apophenia, and it is a driving force behind many serious problems in our reasoning. Combine it with our urge to anthropomorphize (hmm... poor word choice for someone with an MLP avatar...) and our hatred of a loss of control, and is it any wonder we start attributing human attributes to things like the weather, life and death, the sun, the moon, and the like? Is it any wonder we start to see those things not as random, chaotic processes, but rather as beings? Beings with wills? Now add two more pieces to the mix - natural superstition and confirmation bias. Starting to shape up?

If you're not taught to see the world through skeptical eyes, it's almost natural for you to see something "beyond". But that's entirely based on quirks in the human psychology. Quirks which, on their own, are incredibly harmful. Great for life on the Savannah, mind you, but if you're living in a modern society with billions of other meatbags, it kinda sucks.

Use a dictionary then
Oh look, another person who doesn't understand the purpose of semantics. Please don't take this as a knock against you, but this is just an obnoxious metadiscussion to have to have on a regular basis. A dictionary doesn't tell me what you're saying. It's why appealing to dictionary definitions of words in a discussion is such a pointless exercise - "That's nice, so 'rational' means that according to Webbster - well, that's not what I meant." It especially doesn't help when we're dealing with morality. Here's two different typical definitions of morality:

1. In line with the general well-being of mankind in accordance with empathic principles (secular morality á la Dillahunty/Harris)
2. In line with that which god wishes of us (religious morality á la Insert Evangelical Preacher Here)

It almost doesn't matter which argument the term "moral" is used it, it's a completely different one depending on how you define it. You need to define these terms, or give a specific definition that you are using (for example, if someone asks me to define "morality", I will refer them to this article, or Sam Harris's "The Moral Landscape").

Obviously people do what they will or want. If you believe there are no external moral principles then you have to admit you are the same morally as people like Adolf Hitler and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. The holocaust wasn't a bad thing because there is no more bad in your world view.
See, that just isn't true. Obviously, I cannot deduce morality without looking beyond myself. But if you mean "external moral principles" as "concepts which are morally correct regardless of who is performing the action", then I reject that. The moral principles I apply are based on two simple assumptions: other people are more or less like me (ergo, they have more or less similar physiological and psychological needs), and I care about other people. That's it. That's all I need, because from there I can deduce that certain actions are going to hurt other people, and I don't want that. That's all it really takes - caring about others.

So why was the holocaust bad? Because many people were murdered. People like me. I don't want to die! I wouldn't want that to happen to me, and they didn't want it to happen to them. It caused great suffering, it directly contraindicated the wellbeing of conscious life, and was therefore immoral.

I seriously recommend looking into Matt Dillahunty's talks on the matter (that one's just half an hour long), or just read this facebook post for a very concise TL;DR version. Another great source for talking about morality is QualiaSoup's series here. It's obviously a lot more nuanced than the way I've described it here, but the point is that it is entirely legitimate to construct a moral system without any sort of supernatural concept.

But perhaps most importantly: you completely failed to address my criticism. Societal mores on what is and is not moral have changed drastically throughout history for a variety of reasons. Why? Just because "people will do what they will"? But then what role do these external moral principles serve in the first place?

It seems patently obvious that between us and the Nazis, someone had it wrong on the whole "murder all the jews" thing. How do we evaluate that? We don't have access to those external moral principles because if we do, so could they, and that gets us nowhere. How can we tell if we're right or the Nazi's were? We need some other way of judging this. So these external moral principles are worthless the moment anyone objects to them. You hand-wave this argument away as though it was unimportant, but it isn't.

The people getting murdered would be worse, the ones who murdered would do better because there's less competition.
Except that no man is an island, and we are a social species. If I murder the only guy in the tribe who knows how to splint a broken leg, there's less competition, and my entire group is more vulnerable. Additionally, those same principles I talked about earlier are available to virtually everyone. Part of our advantage as a species is that we're empathic, and the golden rule ("Do onto others as they would do onto you") is just a very short jump from there. People recognize that they don't want to be murdered, and they recognize that those that would murder need to be cast out. And this "casting out" was, in the past, often fatal.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
What counts as evidence of god? Not something that could be explained by gods existence, but could also be explained in other ways as well. Because god might not be the reason, the other possible explanations could be the reason.

What is evidence of god, is not something that could be caused by god, but something that couldn't happen without god. Something that cannot be explained in any other way.

There is no evidence for god today.

The argument is that almost every single human to have ever existed has experienced somethings spiritual. The ones who say they never have and don't are the small, tiniest minorities of humanity, both to exist now and to ever have existed. If 40 million people from all different parts of the world say they're feeling a connection to something higher, that is pretty good evidence that something higher has to exist, even if not any of the specifics. If 99.9% of every human to have existed feels the same, that's even better evidence.

That's not historically true. The question of Jesus was more then open to criticism since the 18th century, and in fact most of the American founding fathers did not believe in Jesus historically. The fact that you just linked to a podcast shows that debate about Jesus's existence are more then allowed in our country.
And I didn't watch the podcasts, I'll get back to it later since that sidetracks it. I will, however, point out again the support among historians for Jesus' existence is in the same category as biologist support for evolution.
Humans aren't all knowing, or naturally right, humans make mistakes, humans believed sticking leaches on themselves would cure diseases for hundreds of years, if humans just naturally come to the correct conclusion every time they think about anything, by that logic, sticking leaches to yourself must cure disease. Because thousands of people thought it, the vast majority believed it, they thought disease was caused by bad blood leaches sucked out. What you're saying can be used to back up this belief. It's not proof or evidence.

My point was that some sense of theology being correct is pre-evident
As explained above, that is not evidence, you don't have a valid point.
This is blatantly untrue. We are hardwired to look for patterns, we are not hardwired to always succeed, humans are not infallible.
I don't get this. You claim there is no need for a moral lawmaker, but in your example you proposed an example of a moral lawmaker (although a ridiculous one), but then seemed to be arguing on the idea that you didn't.

Yet there's multiple religious concepts that go against evolutionary nature. **** is a prime example. In evolutionary terms, **** is good, it allows for more reproduction, more gene spreading. Yet almost every religion has laws against ****.

Is your concept of a morality "what is evolutionary benefitiial to humanity"? Because if that's not what morality is then I'm not sure how you can argue for an evolutionary cause.
Atheistic morality is derived from peoples emotions. We don't do things like sexually assault people because it would be horrible for them. We don't hurt people just to please ourselves because we recognize that's it's wrong to do horrible things to people. Not out of fear of punishment after death, doing good things just because you think you stand to gain isn't being a good person it's being greedy.

And please tell me, how is "God said not to do it" a better argument not to murder than, "it's pretty much the worst thing you could ever do to someone. Why is it that all that should matter in your mind is the whim of God, and not what is good and evil?

Also shouldn't your religious morality tell you not to try and paint us as Nazi-rapist-murders devoid of any morals? Trying to accuse us of that strikes me as just a bit not moral at all.

@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht
You know there is a thread on free will, you could just, link to it to explain it. And talk about it there, http://smashboards.com/threads/does-free-will-exist.361811/

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Long post incoming. Sorry not sorry.

[…]

When it comes to personal accounts, sure.
[collapse=ON THE CAUSALITY OF BELIEF]
Yes. I’m not contesting this. My point is (or was) this:

There is something innate in humans that leads to the tendency for theism. That is, the emergence of beliefs in spirits, afterlives, deities, and so on. On this, we can agree, as it is the most that can be said with accuracy and certainty.

But what is the cause of these beliefs? This is the question of interest.

You propose that it’s because humans have a connection to these “theistic forces” of spirits and afterlives and deities.

I proposed that there are alternative explanations, such as neurological and physiological factors that cause these beliefs to arise naturally in humans. I raise this motion of alternative accounts because it means that we can’t accept your proposal outright.

That there is more than one potential account means that we have to examine these alternatives, to see which of them might be more probable, or warranted, or so on. For the latter account, we have the capacity to observe these neurological and psychological quirks in action.

For the former, there is certainly testimony of experiences of theistic forces. Is there any other way to corroborate such testimonies (beyond, say, suicide, so that one can peek beyond the proverbial veil)?

Lacking such corroboration, it’s harder to assess the probability and plausibility of the theistic account. And what’s more, we do know that testimony can be inaccurate, flawed, or misremembered due to cognitive biases and the like—factors that do figure in the naturalistic account of the theism effect.[/collapse]

That's not really a problem at all unless you're a muslim and believe everyone is naturally muslim. The idea that humanity comprehends that there is more then the material world does not require humanity to have actual knowledge of it.

Side note: I wasn't very focused with my previous post and sort of threw a bunch of stuff at the wall. The argument I'm going to be trying to make here is that the world is not just materialistic.
[collapse=ON MATERIALISM AND DUALISM]
I don’t know what it means for something to be “material”.

It’s a pretty strange category, mostly due to the baggage the historical term brings. By saying the universe (or our experience) is “material”, there’s the tacit suggestion that there is, or can be, the “immaterial”.

But on what grounds do we suppose there exists such a distinction? If there is no distinction, the term “material” doesn’t have much explanatory use. Neither would “immaterial”. You could call the universe immaterial if you wanted, or material, or frumptious. Labels become arbitrary.

Could you perhaps clarify on what it means for a thing to be “material”? Is it anything that is the expression of particles and waves and fields (matter, energy, quantum hullaballoo, etc.)? If this is the case—and I imagine it might, since that’s the formulation I’ve seen the most—what “else” might there be, and how might we determine there is such a “something else”?

By addressing this, you would also address how humans can interact or detect such immaterial elements (and such, go some way in supporting, or at least clarifying, your claims). Our sense organs and bodies are attuned for the material. What mechanism do we have to detect the immaterial? Is it the spirit or soul? What is that? How does that interact with our bodies? How does the material interact with the immaterial?

Theism usually always invokes dualism of substance. But how these substances interact is the central issue. If that cannot be explained or accounted for, then you can’t account for why people can connect to the immaterial (which the basis of your position). So I would suggest that you make your case for substance dualism, since if you can make a case for that, most of your other claims will likely follow.[/collapse]

I don't see how the fact that it can have a natural explanation removes it from the equation? Why have it at all?
[collapse=ON COMPETING HYPOTHESES]
The natural account doesn’t remove the theistic account from the discussion. It just increases the margin of doubt for the latter, and means there is more work that one has to do.

If the theistic account stood uncontested, then it would be a far more warranted account to accept. Because it does not stand uncontested, it is less warranted to accept. That’s all there is to it.

You presented your claims straight and bold without any elaboration, so your statements had an absolutist tone (especially with the assertions of “self-evidence”). My response aimed to question the assertions of self-evidence—that is, that your claims are not self-evident at all. At best, they serve as one hypothesis among others.

That’s generally been my angle so far.
[/collapse]

[collapse=ON STATISTICS AND INFERENCES]
It’s evidence toward a hypothesis—namely, the hypothesis that these experiences point to theistic forces.

What if 99.9% of humans have a flawed or biased understanding of these experiences on account of neurological quirks? We know that humans do possess these quirks, which can colour their thinking and interpretation of their experiences.

99.9% percent of humans are humans, so 99.9% of them would express such quirks and biases and effects. Ergo, 99.9% of humans believe in immaterial things because of a combination of genetics, neurology, behaviour, lack of knowledge, and cultural reinforcement?

You seem to be proposing “people have theistic experiences, ergo theism is true”. But that doesn’t necessarily follow—even if 99.9% of people have such experiences. Because there’s the prospect of all of those people being wrong in part or in whole.

You might find such a proposition incredulous—how can virtually all humans be so off the mark about their collective experiences?—and I agree that it’s quite a bit to chew, but the truth doesn’t care about your (or my) incredulity (or credulity, for that matter).

My stance is “people have theistic experiences, so let’s investigate the cause”. I invoke natural factors because we can observe and measure such factors, and their effect on the interpretation of experience. So that seems to be a viable avenue of investigation.

If you have a proposal for how one might go about investigating the theistic account, please do share. In so doing, you might demonstrate that like the natural account, the theistic account is also a viable avenue for investigation. For we are investigators, you see; we are skeptical and inquisitive, and don’t want to accept claims at face value.
[/collapse]

How can you experience what doesn't exist?
[collapse=ON EXPERIENCE AND AGENCY]
This question is phrased strangely. What are you responding to?

I claim that it is the case that we have the incorrigible experience of agency. Do you agree with that much?

The question is whether this experience applies beyond our experience. What if our every thought and emotion and experience was predestined, such that we are predestined to feel as though we have agency? What if, in spatial dimensions greater than the third, that all points in our timeline exist simultaneously (which would include all actions we ever have done or will do)?

This is the issue central to the question of free-will VS determinism. How can we authenticate our experiences without appealing our experiences? This is circular, which means there exists no corroboration.

Do note that I am NOT making a claim that determinism is true, or that I do indeed believe free-will to be false. What I AM claiming is that your assertion is tenuous. “We feel like we have free-will, ergo free-will is the case”. My argument is that this does not follow, since there is doubt as to the validity of that experience as it relates to reality beyond ourselves.
[/collapse]

Even when science had no understanding of disease or how it was spread we still understood that disease exist because we can experience it. We can notice that we make choices.
[collapse=ON EMPIRICISM AND TESTIMONY]
Yes. As per my above response, I do not contest that we experience agency. I also don’t contest that there may be free-will. But I do contest that experience alone is sufficient as evidence or proof, since we know that experience can be misleading or incorrectly processed/interpreted. How do we remove or minimize doubt? By corroboration.

It’s why, in courts of law, it’s preferable to have something more than mere witness testimony. Artifacts from the crime scene(s), records with relevant data, video or audio documentation. Witness testimony is not invalid, of course, but it can be unreliable, and having something more in addition to testimony invariably strengthens one’s case. And so too, I propose, does it go with addressing the theism effect, authenticating agency, and so on—cases for which, so far, you only offer experience, or witness testimony, as exhibits.

We understood that disease existed, because we could experience it. And eventually, we investigated and discovered the cause (namely, bacterial and/or viral infection).

We have not yet such explanatory strides for agency. The key, in my view, will be to confirm the nature of time, if that’s possible. Is there a “present”? Is our timeline stretched out before us, or do we build our timeline one frame at a time? Can we influence this progression? Do our actions cause divergent outcomes (parallel timelines and the like)? Are such divergences in themselves (pre)determined?

Because it is certainly the case that we are influenced by factors beyond ourselves. We exist in space and time, so the rules of space and time would invariably dictate how much agency we truly have.

But this is beside the point. I suggest that you seek to find material, if any, that supports the case for free-will in addition to witness testimony (i.e. the testimony of the experience of agency). Because I do agree that such testimony can and does serve as supporting evidence for the free-will hypothesis. I just wonder if it's enough to make that belief justifiable.
[/collapse]

This is false, as you can easily use the exact same argument to disprove anything humanity has ever discovered. We use common sense to tell us about the universe, but how do we know our common sense works? By the use of our common sense. We see fire, we think it's hot. We touch it, it is hot. Fire is hot. The initial assessment, the experiment, the data, the conclusion, all determined by our common senses. If your argument is correct then we can no longer claim to know a single thing, not even if we exist.
(Note: sorry didn't watch the podcasts)
[collapse=ON SKEPTICISM]
No worries on the podcasts. They are upwards of an hour long each, so they are a commitment. I nonetheless leave the links there for yourself or anyone else to view, should they wish to.

First, could you define “common sense”? Appeals to common sense are frequent, so the actual definition of the term has, in my experience, become clouded. I would appreciate if you could forward a definition to which we could hold to.

Science paints a provisional picture of the universe. For all we know, our experience could be illusory—a program, or brains in a vat. It remains that whatever “this” is, it has consistent rules that govern all interactions. And we can observe, detect, measure, and even predict them (with sufficient data). This is the foundation of methodological naturalism—the idea that our experience, whatever it may ultimately be, can be explained and explored using scientific methodology. Science only works if it assumes methodological naturalism as an axiom.

Perhaps, then, it was misguided, or inaccurate of me to lean on the term “experience”. I think my judicial analogy sketched up above is a better fit for what I’m trying to convey.

What I’m skeptical about is the claim that our interpretation of experience alone is sufficient to warrant the acceptance of a claim. In this thing we call "reality", experience and science have cross-examined the fact that testimony alone can be unreliable or misinterpreted. To have testimony and something else is better than testimony alone.

We currently only have the testimony of agency to support the idea that space and time are decidedly agency-ish (unless, again, you have something more to share). In other words, if there was no life whatsoever to speak of in the universe at all anywhere, that the universe would still be rooted in free-will. Free-will, therefore, becomes a principle that would exist independent of human experience, yet a principle that we are all utterly subjected to.

Is this at all clearer? To be skeptical is to not accept anything at face-value, or not without consideration. Even the notion that we “know”, or can know, anything at all is not exempt from skeptical inquiry (and such questions are the domain of epistemology, the branch of philosophy that deals with knowledge). The notion that “we” exist at all is similarly not exempt (and becomes the subject of philosophy of mind and ontology and metaphysics).

But this doesn’t mean we should or need to reject that we do know anything; it only means that we must acknowledge that everything we know is provisional, and can be subject to change the moment new information comes to light.

So hopefully, that clarifies my position. With all that said, I would now like to start a new line of inquiry, seeking to clarify your position.

Could you define “free-will”, and/or “agency”? In what way, and to what extent, do I, Sehnsucht, have free-will? How much agency do I have, if at all? To what extent do the laws and rules of my reality inhibit, or allow, the expression agency on my part?

And in what way would the presence of free-will/agency serve as support for the theistic hypothesis? How does the latter follow from the former? It occurs to me writing this that in your opening dialogue, you kind of just said “free-will exists, so this supports theism”. At least it's clear how your other points pertain to theism, but I don’t think you touched on why free-will was relevant. So if you could expand on all of this, it would be great. 8)
[/collapse]

[collapse=ON HISTORICITY]
Our country? I’m Canadian, my good sir. 8P

I do not deny that there is a school of thought among biblical historians that proposes Jesus to have been a historical figure—that whether or nor he was messiah, Jesus was a man like any other who lived roughly two millennia ago, or thereabouts.

What I am doing is bringing to the discussion the notion of Jesus not only not being messiah, but never having existed at all—that he is a character formed as a pastiche of historical and/or mythical characters.

I bring this up in the same way I bring up the naturalist account for the theism effect. In your opening post to this discussion, you made strong assertions of self-evidence and/or overwhelming evidence. This included the assertion that Jesus was, at minimum, a man who did indeed exist in Judea of old, and who spread the word of God, and was crucified by the Romans, and that the testimony of disciples seeing Jesus after his death are all legitimate.

This is one hypothesis, which, as you note, is taken seriously among many historians in the field of biblical study (and is not necessarily unwarranted). Another hypothesis that also has some basis for it is that the historical Jesus is a fiction.

So we have multiple competing hypotheses. Can we determine which of them is correct? If not, which seems most probable, given all available evidence?

This is the work presented before us. My claim is not strictly that Jesus never existed (though I am inclined to think it is a valid hypothesis), but that the strength of your assertion is not warranted. You can’t say “many biblical scholars think Jesus existed historically, ergo he existed historically”; at most, you could say “in my view, the existence of the historical Jesus is the most plausible hypothesis”.

And then you would go on to explain why you think as much (through the presentation of supporting materials and the refutation of detracting materials).

Though I will once more note that I am less in a position to do said work unless I recuse myself to do extensive research on the subject of biblical historicity, which could take awhile. Because currently, I feel my knowledge is not sufficient to aptly debate the matter. As a result, I don’t intend to press the point of the non-historicity of Jesus; I’m only questioning all of your claims of self-evidence and strong assertions.
[/collapse]

[collapse=ON LOGIC AND ETHICS]
Perhaps I didn’t explain myself adequately, then.

You claimed there could be no logical formulation of a moral system without a moral lawmaker (in your case, God). As I responded, this is not the case.

A logical system is logical so long as it obeys the rules of logic (consistency, causal progression, etc.). At the foundation of logic are axioms, statements that are otherwise arbitrary, but that we agree to deem them as being true (or that they are the case).

Hence why I said you could have a “logical formulation” of a moral system without God, since all you’d have to do is propose one or more axioms that don’t include God that serve as the basis of your moral philosophy.

I used the puppy example to demonstrate the arbitrary quality of axioms. Sure, it was absurd, but it illustrates the concept just as well.

Try this less absurd, and very basic formulation of a possible moral philosophy:

-”Good” is defined as that which maximizes happiness for as many as possible;
-We do tend to desire happiness more than non-happiness;
-Therefore, we generally desire happiness;
-Therefore, if we want to acquire happiness, then we should pursue the good;-We generally do want to acquire happiness;
-Therefore, we should pursue the good, and all actions that enact the good.

This is a basic syllogistic formulation. My axiom is that “good” = ”maximal happiness”, and every premise that follows stems from that axiom.

But I don’t have to define “good” in the way I did. You could propose a different definition of “good” and come up with a different formulation, so long as your following premises hold your axiom to be the case (and that there are no internal contradictions between premises).

A moral philosophy is only useful inasmuch as it can be applied. If you had a moral philosophy, but never applied, it might as well exist in a vacuum. As such, you can devise a moral philosophy and apply it in the real world. And in so doing, you can test your moral philosophy and the soundness of your axioms by seeing if the results of applying this philosophy are congruent with what your axioms predict.

So, if I were to apply my example formulation above in the real world, and found that the philosophy failed to yield the expected results—people don’t want happiness, pursuing the maximizing of happiness fails to maximize happiness, etc.—then I would then know that my philosophy is flawed, or unsound.

But if that same philosophy does work in the actual world, then I have in my hands a valid and sound moral philosophy that I can practice. And all thanks to the power of axioms and logical relations.

You might say such a philosophy is insufficient because there is no basis for me to say that “good” is what I say it is. And I completely agree; that is precisely why axioms are said to be arbitrary. But even if they are arbitrary, what difference does it make if I nonetheless formulate a moral philosophy that is consistent and works in the actual world?
[/collapse]

[collapse=ON EVOLUTION AND COERCION]
To prevent copious asterisks, I will us the term coercion as shorthand for non-consensual or forced mating (or ****).

Coercion is one reproductive strategy. Evidently, if every male went about impregnating whichever female(s) they fancied, then reproduction rates would be consistent, or be higher.

Yet humans are self-aware. Not only that, but we have an innate pro-social, cooperative inclination.

With that comes an aversion to violations of autonomy. We don’t like it when people attack us, or maim us, or try to kill us, or obstruct our way, or steal our stuff, or do such things to our kin and kith. It’s only to be expected, then, that we would also be averse to having our sexual autonomy violated through coercion. And those who do perpetuate such acts do so because they are the aggressors, and not the victims. Few ever like or want to be the victim.

And that is why, I propose, that people don’t like being coerced. That, and the fact that in self-awareness, we can process the full psychological nuances of violations of our autonomy. You need only look to the psychological repercussions of coercion in its victims to see that this is the case.

Being self-aware, we have an added measure of cognitive and social factors that can influence, if not supersede, what we’d otherwise be evolutionary inclined to do. So even if we, as humans, had the innate inclination for coercion, we can channel and direct those impulses in other ways. But I do believe that it is not the case that most humans have a predilection for coercion. Transgression of autonomy are counter to the ethos of pro-sociality, in which the wellbeing of the whole maximizes the success of the whole.

Sure, we could survive through a primarily coercive strategy. We’d probably end up with a lot of psychologically skewed women, though, and even if such a paradigm were normalized, I suspect there would be cognitive dissonance (”This is the way things are” VS “In my bones, I have an aversion to transgressions of my autonomy).

The fact that most religions disavow **** is concordant with the picture I describe above. If we innately are averse to transgressions of autonomy, then it is to be expected that we would call things that violate autonomy as being “bad” or “wrong”, and things that prevent or don’t result in transgressions as being “good” or “right”.

Do note that the above is armchair speculation based on my layman’s understanding of human evolutionary trajectory. I have no sources at hand to support the above claims, and any countering sources would be welcomed. Though I suspect that I’m somewhere in the ballpark with all of this; at the very least, it’s a reasonable scenario to consider.
[/collapse]

Anyway, Maven, I will leave the rest of your responses to those they pertain to.

@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht
You know there is a thread on free will, you could just, link to it to explain it. And talk about it there, http://smashboards.com/threads/does-free-will-exist.361811/
I've made contributions to that thread already. I suppose if anyone wants to discuss agency and determinism with me further, they can tag me there.

For the moment, we can carry on the discussion here, since the claim being proposed is that free-will is evidence in support of the theistic hypothesis (which is this thread's topic).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Humans aren't all knowing, or naturally right, humans make mistakes, humans believed sticking leaches on themselves would cure diseases for hundreds of years, if humans just naturally come to the correct conclusion every time they think about anything, by that logic, sticking leaches to yourself must cure disease. Because thousands of people thought it, the vast majority believed it, they thought disease was caused by bad blood leaches sucked out. What you're saying can be used to back up this belief. It's not proof or evidence.
Leeches and maggots have seen a rise in use for medicine. While sure, they can't cure anything, like AIDS, they still are able to save entire limbs from their saliva alone, promoting blood flow to said limbs. Maggots, on the other hand, literally eat dead flesh, including those ravaged by infection, helping to save someone from an otherwise life-threatening situation/amputation.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/bloody-suckers-leech-therapy/11360/

http://www.livescience.com/203-maggots-leeches-medicine.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/10/1024_031024_maggotmedicine.html

Really? Because I must have missed that lesson throughout my years from grades K-12 and some college. Please elaborate further. A source or two (preferably from non-biased sources) would be nice.
Where did you read that? I've looked everywhere, and the best I could find was this:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/10/23/5-facts-about-atheists/

Mind you, it does nothing to address your first point as underlined, as this is a statistic based on those surveyed regarding their religious faith, and not whether or not they have felt a spiritual presence. I seriously doubt they'd successfully survey every single American, able-bodied or not in either case. Secondly, this study was just in America alone, so imagine the rest of the 7.2 billion people worldwide?
My point was that some sense of theology being correct is pre-evident.
I don't get how it's "pre-evident" if there isn't anything that clearly makes it a thing. As far as spiritual feelings, as far as I've seen on TV and read online, while they can occur, they all have one thing in common: It's all in our heads.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/19/science-behind-spiritual-experiences_n_4078519.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...o-brains-during-spiritual-experiences/361882/
I'd be careful when using things that could bring Godwin's Law into play.

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
I actually used to be a Buddhist so I can tell you first hand there are definitely dieties in Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism specifically. Avalokitesvara is a prominent one. In Buddhism they are called Bodhisvata and are not considered creator gods or all powerful, as they're still bound by karma, but they have omniscience and can answer prayers.
Interesting, you just taught me a thing about Buddhism :)

So what exactly did you mean by a "natural" society? Apparently this adjective is intended to (arbitrarily) exclude modern societies where theism is optional and often marginal. For example: China, Japan, and the Czech Republic have more 'convinced atheists' than religious people. And besides modern pluralistic societies, some traditional religions were animist rather than theist. That is, their super-nature was populated by spirits rather than gods. So it is far from clear that human societies believe in gods by default.

Which God? They [babies] need to be told of Jevohva, or Jesus, or Allah, or of the Brahma or Buddha, but a person does not need to be told the basic concepts of religion (mystical higher purpose, correct way to act, rewards come from acting correctly), again religion has developed independently everywhere in the world in every society ever discovered. Religious belief is as natural to humanity as social constructs, governments or family units.
You're shifting the goalposts: unable to defend your ambitious claim that humans are innately theists, you replied that at least babies know "the basic concepts of religion". Yet even this weaker claim is implausible: we train children to act morally and strive towards a higher purpose just as we teach them to believe in god(s). Uneducated humans seem to act like any other primate, so what moral instincts we do have are hardly unique to religion.

No one wrote about Alexander the Great for several hundred years after his death.
False! Alexander was described in many prominent contemporary sources (plays, speeches, etc), while Jesus was mentioned only in a few obscure letters. Those historians who first wrote about Alexander were impartial and used reliable historical methods to synthesize eyewitness sources which they named, while early historians of Jesus were biased and had no such eyewitnesses or transparent methods. And we have overwhelming archaeological evidence of Alexander's activities, but literally none for Jesus.

So what then is your explanation for a system of morality? Do you believe Morality exists?
To quote philosopher Simon Blackburn: "Morality is a natural phenomenon. Its roots lie in our needs and our capacities for sympathetically imagining the feelings of others, for inventing co-operative principles, for being able to take an impersonal view of our own doings."

My point was that some sense of theology being correct is pre-evident
Popularity-based "pre-evident" feelings aren't good reasons for belief.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

The hard thing about arguing the existence of God is that there is no clear answer. You can't prove his existence and you can't disprove it either. One side argues that "there is no need for a god" and the other side argues "all you need is God". It's a battle of evidence and faith, each has to stick to what goes with their argument better, rendering this as an endless argument. I don't know if there is "evidence" or "proof" for God out there, nor what it would qualify as. Though if it did exist this argument would cease to exist. If anyone does find the answer, be sure to hit me up.

Maven89

Smash Master
I'm editing this post while I respond to different people so if you see this line my post isn't finished

Really? We do? Throughout history, there have been a large number of gods, and religious power structures are extremely efficient at self-propagation, just like any system that combines the ability to make people want to kill each other with the ability to say that it is morally just. The power of religion in antiquity largely came from this ability to say, "join us or die" without appearing evil or coming into contact with cognitive dissonance. Is it any wonder that such systems, emerging naturally (I'll get back to this), would come to dominate human discourse?
I don't see how, at all, your argument (which, btw, is wrong, "join us or die" is not at all common in religion as a whole, despite what you might want to think. Romans did not conquer people based on them worshiping other gods, and Rome itself adapted multiple "foreign" gods and worshiped them as well. Mithras and Isis are two prominent examples) is supposed to be arguing that religion is not natural, unless you're trying to suggest religion popped up in a few places and conquered the athiest majority, to which, again, I ask you to provide the slightest shred of evidence.

Whether or not you choose to call Xigaga a "god" is questionable at best, but the important point is that he differs significantly in one aspect from the theistic concepts of god - these people claimed very clearly that they could see and/or experience it.
You are very misinformed in you think religions never claim to see or experience their gods. That's one of the most prominent points of almost every religion, and especially Christianity.

This is a huge difference from most theological concepts throughout history. They certainly are not hardwired to believe in a god the way you claim. But more to the point...
So you've never heard of the God gene? Because right now you're arguing against what biology tells us, that we're hard wired for religious experience.

Perhaps I misspoke. We are hardwired to see patterns, even when there are none there. It's called apophenia, and it is a driving force behind many serious problems in our reasoning. Combine it with our urge to anthropomorphize (hmm... poor word choice for someone with an MLP avatar...) and our hatred of a loss of control, and is it any wonder we start attributing human attributes to things like the weather, life and death, the sun, the moon, and the like? Is it any wonder we start to see those things not as random, chaotic processes, but rather as beings?
Just going to point out that what you described are not random or chaotic but based on very firm natural laws. Rain isn't random.

Beings with wills? Now add two more pieces to the mix - natural superstition and confirmation bias. Starting to shape up?
If you're not taught to see the world through skeptical eyes, it's almost natural for you to see something "beyond". But that's entirely based on quirks in the human psychology. Quirks which, on their own, are incredibly harmful. Great for life on the Savannah, mind you, but if you're living in a modern society with billions of other meatbags, it kinda sucks.
I strongly disagree, when you look at history almost every single major act of charity or alms giving was done for religious reasons. Even today, America, the most religious of the Western countries, gives way more in charitable donations then other countries

IOh look, another person who doesn't understand the purpose of semantics. Please don't take this as a knock against you, but this is just an obnoxious metadiscussion to have to have on a regular basis. A dictionary doesn't tell me what you're saying. It's why appealing to dictionary definitions of words in a discussion is such a pointless exercise - "That's nice, so 'rational' means that according to Webbster - well, that's not what I meant." It especially doesn't help when we're dealing with morality. Here's two different typical definitions of morality:

1. In line with the general well-being of mankind in accordance with empathic principles (secular morality á la Dillahunty/Harris)
2. In line with that which god wishes of us (religious morality á la Insert Evangelical Preacher Here)

It almost doesn't matter which argument the term "moral" is used it, it's a completely different one depending on how you define it. You need to define these terms, or give a specific definition that you are using (for example, if someone asks me to define "morality", I will refer them to this article, or Sam Harris's "The Moral Landscape").
Not to be a ****, but you really should have looked at a dictionary. Morality pertains to a series of correct or virtuous actions, the right way to behave. That's what the word means. That's what I'm talking about.

ISee, that just isn't true. Obviously, I cannot deduce morality without looking beyond myself. But if you mean "external moral principles" as "concepts which are morally correct regardless of who is performing the action", then I reject that. The moral principles I apply are based on two simple assumptions: other people are more or less like me (ergo, they have more or less similar physiological and psychological needs), and I care about other people. That's it. That's all I need, because from there I can deduce that certain actions are going to hurt other people, and I don't want that. That's all it really takes - caring about others.
But who says you're good? What if you were a horrible person? Why are you holding yourself up as the model for every other human? Because based on what you said, your morality system is "whatever I think is good", which, unless you are a God, means that morality is "whatever an individual thinks is good", because you have to know that people do not think alike.

ISo why was the holocaust bad? Because many people were murdered. People like me. I don't want to die! I wouldn't want that to happen to me, and they didn't want it to happen to them. It caused great suffering, it directly contraindicated the wellbeing of conscious life, and was therefore immoral.
So, would killing Hitler be immoral? He doesn't want to die, and he's a life like you.

But perhaps most importantly: you completely failed to address my criticism. Societal mores on what is and is not moral have changed drastically throughout history for a variety of reasons. Why? Just because "people will do what they will"? But then what role do these external moral principles serve in the first place?
Multiple actions (theft, murder, ****) have always been ahbored. It's what defines these acts that changed, not the morality of the act itself

It seems patently obvious that between us and the Nazis, someone had it wrong on the whole "murder all the jews" thing.
Why?

How do we evaluate that? We don't have access to those external moral principles because if we do, so could they, and that gets us nowhere.
How can we tell if we're right or the Nazi's were? We need some other way of judging this. So these external moral principles are worthless the moment anyone objects to them. You hand-wave this argument away as though it was unimportant, but it isn't.
It's a horrible argument, because you're arguing that I said "everyone believes what I believe when it comes to morality", which I never did, and the idea that people couldn't willingly chose to do immoral actions, which every human being does all the time.

Except that no man is an island, and we are a social species. If I murder the only guy in the tribe who knows how to splint a broken leg, there's less competition, and my entire group is more vulnerable. Additionally, those same principles I talked about earlier are available to virtually everyone. Part of our advantage as a species is that we're empathic, and the golden rule ("Do onto others as they would do onto you") is just a very short jump from there. People recognize that they don't want to be murdered, and they recognize that those that would murder need to be cast out. And this "casting out" was, in the past, often fatal.
But there is plenty of murder, all the time. Are they genetic flukes?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The hard thing about arguing the existence of God is that there is no clear answer. You can't prove his existence and you can't disprove it either. One side argues that "there is no need for a god" and the other side argues "all you need is God". It's a battle of evidence and faith, each has to stick to what goes with their argument better, rendering this as an endless argument. I don't know if there is "evidence" or "proof" for God out there, nor what it would qualify as. Though if it did exist this argument would cease to exist. If anyone does find the answer, be sure to hit me up.
The topic of God is a non-empirical one. For while supporters of the theistic hypothesis may propose that there is empirical evidence (thus drawing God into the realm of the empirical), the contention is whether such claims are actually valid, or accurate. If God interacts with the empirical domain, how does God do so, and can we detect and measure these interactions through empirical means?

These criteria have not yet been satisfactorily answered; if there were legitimate empirical breadcrumbs pointing toward God, scientists would be all over that shiznit. The methodology of science has proven itself to be the most reliable means we currently possess to describe our experience of reality, and thus far, that methodology has not uncovered any deities.

This is why arguments in favour of deities tend to philosophical and moral ones, and evidence to be rooted more so in personal experience and revelation (and to an extent, historical justification for scriptural narratives). Personal experience is incorrigible, so it's hard to argue that someone didn't, in fact, experience what they say they experienced. And philosophy operates on logical propositions and relations, which can subsist just fine without ever referring to the empirical domain. There's also the issue that in most cases, deities are defined as non-empirical in their nature, which kind of makes empirical verification all but unfeasible.

The discussion is not useless, however, because it doesn't exist in a vacuum. People have beliefs about the world, and these beliefs drive action, and these actions in turn affect society, art, politics, legislation, and interpersonal relations. This is why it's necessary to have this discussion. It affects the livelihoods of everyone in ways big and small.

Both sides of the coin (usually) agree that the empirical domain (X) exists. But the theist says that there are elements deity (Y) in addition to X. Which leads some to say "there is surely X, but why would you suppose Y to begin with"? And so the debate ensues ever on. 8P

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
Just a heads-up, Maven, the way you're doing this makes it so that we aren't notified that you quoted us. Do us a favor and make an extra post tagging us once you're done with this one so we know you've addressed us. Thanks! :) I didn't notice you'd responded to me until I stopped by the thread by accident.

So you've never heard of the God gene? Because right now you're arguing against what biology tells us, that we're hard wired for religious experience.
The God gene hypothesis is highly contentious in biological circles and in theological circles. PZ Meyers has some interesting work on the subject. But even granting all of this... So what? The fact that we're hardwired to believe in a god says nothing about whether or not there actually is a god.

Just going to point out that what you described are not random or chaotic but based on very firm natural laws. Rain isn't random.
Yes, but to the average person living on the plains with no understanding of natural law, it might as well be. The point being that we have little to no control over them, and virtually no predictive power - particularly in the past. Rain gods are no longer popular. This is because we came to understand rain and found out what it was based on. But previously, we saw the rain, and we saw that if we danced a certain way, sometimes the rain would come. And we latched on to that, even though it wasn't true, and we saw a deity where there was none. We see patterns and minds where there are none all the time - the fact that we're hardwired to do so makes it no more likely that it's real.

Not to be a ****, but you really should have looked at a dictionary. Morality pertains to a series of correct or virtuous actions, the right way to behave. That's what the word means. That's what I'm talking about.
Okay, so what qualifies as "correct" or "virtuous"?

For many Christians, "correct" and "virtuous" is "what the bible/god says is correct", regardless of how horrifying that is. God commands the murder of all non-believers? That's moral. You can see how this might become a problem. I'm asking you for how you define morality. Okay, so that's your definition? Please define "correct or virtuous" and "the right way to behave". See how this gets us nowhere? I'm no closer to understanding how you evaluate morality than I was before I went to the dictionary.

But who says you're good? What if you were a horrible person? Why are you holding yourself up as the model for every other human? Because based on what you said, your morality system is "whatever I think is good", which, unless you are a God, means that morality is "whatever an individual thinks is good", because you have to know that people do not think alike.
Now this, on the other hand, gives a slightly better picture. So basically, your version of morality is "whatever God says"? But what if god orders atrocities? Things like going to neighboring cities and murdering everyone except for the virgin girls? Or for you to remain enslaved to a cruel master? Or for apostates to be murdered? Or for practitioners of witchcraft to be burned at the stake? Do such things suddenly become moral commandments? If god commands me to murder, is murder suddenly moral?

And yeah, if following the moral principles described makes me immoral, then I'm immoral. The problem is, again, one of definition. If you define morality as "what god says", then yeah, my moral system could be horribly flawed. It could be that god considers it moral to commit genocide, murder your family, and make life miserable for everyone around you. If your definition of morality is entirely dependent on divine fiat, I don't care about it, because I reject that definition, and I reject that something like murder or genocide can be moral simply due to who commands it.

If you define morality as "what benefits humans the most", however, my system has some pretty solid ground to work on.

You see, the problem here is, if you want to see morality as something beyond the actual human experience of life on this planet, then we're at a standstill, because that's not what I see as morality. I find trying to appeal to the will of a god (which we cannot detect, let alone understand), "external moral principles" (ditto), or the like to be a meaningless waste of time - if it has no relation to how to live well, why should we care? Heaven? But remember, your argument here is trying to establish the existence of a god!

So, would killing Hitler be immoral? He doesn't want to die, and he's a life like you.
This is a bit like asking, "Well if rapists want to ****, why stop them?" At a certain point, it may be beneficial to kill someone. I'm not sure if that's ever the case, but if I had the choice between killing one person to stop the murder of millions, and letting that genocide play out... Well, which benefits humans and humanity the most? This kind of ethical paradox is trivial to create in any system, and the sad fact is that every ethical framework we've developed so far falls apart at certain edge cases - or at least, produces a counterintuitive or "difficult" results. So this does little to bolster your argument or remove the teeth from my own.

Multiple actions (theft, murder, ****) have always been ahbored. It's what defines these acts that changed, not the morality of the act itself
And other, equally abhorrent actions have not. Slavery is probably the big one - for a long time throughout the world, Slavery was considered perfectly okay. Hell, the god of the bible condones slavery in both the old and new testament. And now, it isn't.

Because there's a clear, direct dichotomy between "it's okay to murder 6 million jews" and "it's not okay to murder 6 million jews"? :awesome:

And way to completely ignore my argument. For the second time in a row.

It's a horrible argument, because you're arguing that I said "everyone believes what I believe when it comes to morality", which I never did, and the idea that people couldn't willingly chose to do immoral actions, which every human being does all the time.
Except that for the most part, people are really good at rationalization. The Nazis did not knowingly choose to do something they knew was immoral. They thought they were doing the right thing. This is patently visible in their writings and records of their meetings. These were people who were terrified of the Jewish scourge and the threat it posed to their pure German race, and who were convinced that the only way to solve the "Judenproblem" was to try to kill them all. They knew they were doing the right thing, that they had god on their side. And this is where arguments to external moral principles start to get really hard to support. Because not only do you have to claim that we're finding a value in X, rather than simply attributing a value to X (which I don't think can be proven), but you have to explain why others did not find that value. I'll say this again and again - I strongly recommend watching QualiaSoup's series on morality. It explains a lot of these concepts in far better detail than I can.

What you're arguing is basically, despite all of that, they knew that what they were doing was wrong and immoral. That is a tall claim that I'd like to see some evidence for.

But there is plenty of murder, all the time. Are they genetic flukes?
Some of them. For example, we know that some genetic defects can cause psychopathic behavior. But the fact is that, as said, we're complex, and we're good at rationalizing. We're predisposed towards social behavior. Not programmed.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Interesting, you just taught me a thing about Buddhism :)

So what exactly did you mean by a "natural" society? Apparently this adjective is intended to (arbitrarily) exclude modern societies where theism is optional and often marginal. For example: China, Japan, and the Czech Republic have more 'convinced atheists' than religious people. And besides modern pluralistic societies, some traditional religions were animist rather than theist. That is, their super-nature was populated by spirits rather than gods. So it is far from clear that human societies believe in gods by default.

You're shifting the goalposts: unable to defend your ambitious claim that humans are innately theists, you replied that at least babies know "the basic concepts of religion". Yet even this weaker claim is implausible: we train children to act morally and strive towards a higher purpose just as we teach them to believe in god(s). Uneducated humans seem to act like any other primate, so what moral instincts we do have are hardly unique to religion.

False! Alexander was described in many prominent contemporary sources (plays, speeches, etc), while Jesus was mentioned only in a few obscure letters. Those historians who first wrote about Alexander were impartial and used reliable historical methods to synthesize eyewitness sources which they named, while early historians of Jesus were biased and had no such eyewitnesses or transparent methods. And we have overwhelming archaeological evidence of Alexander's activities, but literally none for Jesus.

To quote philosopher Simon Blackburn: "Morality is a natural phenomenon. Its roots lie in our needs and our capacities for sympathetically imagining the feelings of others, for inventing co-operative principles, for being able to take an impersonal view of our own doings."

Popularity-based "pre-evident" feelings aren't good reasons for belief.
Bring fair with China that was more so forced because of the government of the past vs the country moving in that direction by choice.

Same thing happened with Russia.

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
Bring fair with China that was more so forced because of the government of the past vs the country moving in that direction by choice.

Same thing happened with Russia.
True, there's a sense in which autocracies are "unnatural" because they disconnect government from the people. But if that disqualifies China and Russia then it equally disqualifies the Roman Empire, whose conversion to (Nicene) Christianity was forced by Emperor Theodosius I.

In other news, random spelunkers found coins with pics of Alexander the Great on them. Almost makes you think the guy was real!

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
True, there's a sense in which autocracies are "unnatural" because they disconnect government from the people. But if that disqualifies China and Russia then it equally disqualifies the Roman Empire, whose conversion to (Nicene) Christianity was forced by Emperor Theodosius I.

In other news, random spelunkers found coins with pics of Alexander the Great on them. Almost makes you think the guy was real!
I agree but I'm just saying why China is the most atheist country in the world % population wise but that is a result of the government forcing it.

I'm not saying people can't reference more religious or less religious just that there are reasons for it, and in China's case it was not one by choice of the people. I'm not sure why it is for places like France or Japan, though Japan's majority is in the idk category over convinced one way or another.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
I still can't help find the "humans are naturally predisposed to believe in gods" argument to be neither particularly interesting nor useful. Congratulations, we're predisposed to believe X. Does that mean X is true? If we were predisposed to believe in Aristotelian physics, would that make them true? Because we're totally predisposed to believe in Aristotelian physics. And, of course, it's totally wrong - not even in a "doesn't model everything perfectly" way like Newtonian physics, but in a "things just don't move like that under observation at all, even in badly-coded video games" kind of way.

The fact that we're predisposed to believe in a god could be an indication that the divine is trying to reach us. Or it could be an indication that our brains are fallible and bad at critical thinking. I will say that if the former is true, the divine is doing a ****ty job, because trying to reach us with mixed signals easily mistaken for something else is just dumb. An all-knowing god - hell, even just a god who knows me as well as you guys - would have a pretty good idea of how to reach me. And vague, instinctive feelings ain't it.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Acknowledging biases in human cognition is useful to the extent that they colour our perception -- which is something worth taking into consideration.

It's only brought up to counter appeals to emotion or revelation by those favouring theism. You might feel that God is connecting with you -- just as you might feel Aristotelian physics apply -- but your feelings are not necessarily indicative of what's actually the case. The fact that our cognitive biases have misled us before (such as in your Aristotelian example) shows that we can't simply jump the gun and prematurely tack on any explanation we want when analyzing our experiences.

So for those that say "I believe in Deity because I experience Deity", their experience is incorrigible, so you can't tell them they aren't experiencing something. But you can underline the fallibility of human perception and experience. It is because of this fallibility that appeals to emotion/revelation alone aren't sufficient to warrant adoption of the theistic view, or serious consideration of the theistic hypothesis.

These experiences may be divinely influence, or they might be wholly neurological (or perhaps some other alternative). Hard to say one way or the other due to the incorrigibility of experience. But the issue is that proponents of theism say things like "I believe in Deity because I experience Deity, ergo Deity exists and you should believe in (my) Deity, too". The issue is not whether they are having such experiences; it's whether they are interpreting them correctly. And since we know cognitive biases can influence our interpretations of experience, the existence of these quirks undermine the probability that these experiences of the divine do in fact demonstrate divinity.

And that is why the "hyperactive agency detection neurological predisposition" point is brought up. It's why I've been bringing it up, anyway -- not as a means of refuting theistic experience altogether, but to highlight that experience can be misinterpreted, so you can't simply accept the theistic hypothesis on the basis of emotion/revelation. Nor can you forward such appeals as strong evidence of theism with total confidence, since such a degree of confidence can't be justified in light of doubt-instilling factors.

One day, I'll learn to be more concise.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The thing about the "does God exist" debate is that it's a matter of "what could be irrefutable evidence towards a higher power existing?".

Without proof of a God's existance (no matter if it's Zeus, God, Buddha or otherwise), science will inevitably draw itself to the more logical, evidenced conclusion ("God does not exist/God does not influence species") over the claim that is unproven and highly dubious ("God created everything"/"God influences all of our actions"); that's how science works. If there was any irrefutable evidence of God's existance, than science would need to accept it.

But God cannot be proven, as he is an entirely spiritual entity and not an actual being. Without that "smoking gun" to finalize it, God is nothing more than a Christian-created hypothesis as to the origin of life. The most logical form of God is that which Old-Earth Creationists support; one that created the Earth billions of years ago, kickstarted evolution and did no more.

But the YEC concept of God is, as a scientific hypothesis, highly dubious at best; which is where one of the rifts is. Science doesn't say "X must be true because of a metaphorical concept for morality!", it says "X is true because of all this evidence to back it up without question." The other rift derives from a vocabulary rift; "theory" has two totally opposing meanings.

As a scientific term, "theory" refers to any hypothesis that has enough evidence behind it for most scientists to consider it a fact. Examples are the theory of gravity, the theory of evolution, etc.
As a general term, "theory" refers to a postulation based on what evidence you have in front of you; basically, a synonym for "hypothesis". Examples are "I have a theory about his behaviour" or "Theoretically, you could shoot here.".

YECs see "theory" and assume it as the general definition instead of the scientific definition, which causes miscommunication between parties. But science doesn't particularly enjoy having to dumb itself down just to make it easier for the public to read it; that makes for inspecificities or flat-out inaccurate wording, which science tends to dislike.

So basically, what would be "evidence" for God would be irrefutable proof that he exists at all (so something that can be misinterpreted as evidence isn't proof). Since there's no irrefutable proof of God, science ignores the idea in favor of what can be refuted or rendered irrefutable.

Top Bottom