• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What counts as evidence for God?

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
Guys! Religion is the party who "claims facts without evidence" not atheists! Far out...

Do you really think you're making any sort of argument against the impossibility of god by completely ignoring the contradictions I brought to everyone's attention on page one? Do you think that you're somehow correct for standing by the notion that there's no such thing as truth?

Just a typical relativistic knee-jerk reaction against absolutism. How pitiful. Go read through everything I've posted on this thread again, process it, understand it, then maybe I'll reply again.

@ Articablack Articablack
You accuse me of straw-manning when that's all you've done in response the arguments I put forward.

@ _Keno_ _Keno_
As I've already mentioned multiple times, truth has nothing to do with preference!

@ Neanderthal Neanderthal
Your attempts at psychoanalyzing me are embarrassing.

I can't exactly respond to your 'arguments' if you fail at making them to begin with.

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I'm simply asking why you are allowed to presume to know the 'truth' while dismissing others with phrases like "religious people are incorrect."

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Notice when put to the screws lars backtracks to his original assumption that God is auto_contradictory. It's as if millions of people throughout history hadn't already thought of that. He's definitely gotta be the first human ever to get confused over how God works.

The best part will be twenty years from now when either he or his children decide believing in God was okay and that intolerance isn't right when used against good people.

Oh and I want my word back. Bigot is j00

U sure ur not a b0t??

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Anyways, moving away from all the wars with Lars...

I honestly doubt I could be convinced of God at this point without direct evidence (I'm not going to be accepting an old book as evidence regardless of any arguments, sorry. Did a lot of research on the legitimacy of the Bible before I left the faith behind). I spent enough time in the church seeing the reasons some people believed. The vast majority of people do believe BLINDLY, and those that don't struggle for actual evidence. Not only that, but out of all the *personal encounters* with the holy spirit / being filled with jesus stories, I'm fairly sure that most are just religious interpretations of intense emotions, presumed to be God. Or something like that at least.

I'm not going to say that I KNOW FOR A FACT that this is true for all Christians, and especially not for those of another faith. I'm just saying that it's incredibly likely to me, and I've never once heard a voice inside my head that wasn't my own. I know I told people "yeah God talks to me" and whatnot because everyone else "heard" him too, but I feel like I wasn't alone in that lie.

Plus to get anymore real here, I think God is pretty messed up in his morality and if I KNEW he was real, I'd only worship him to go to heaven, and literally no other reason.

As for what direct evidence is? I don't think any exists unless God decides to awake from his 1900 year slumber.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Guys! Religion is the party who "claims facts without evidence" not atheists! Far out...
God, heaven and hell do not exist, that is a fact.
Yet another self contradiction.

Open minded Atheism IS the one that requires evidence. But that is not what you are preaching. You're in your own little party of egotistical ignorance claiming to have it all worked out in your head without ever citing any evidence or research.

@ Neanderthal Neanderthal
Your attempts at psychoanalyzing me are embarrassing.

I can't exactly respond to your 'arguments' if you fail at making them to begin with.
As I've mentioned before, if you have a problem with what I'm saying then address it directly.
It's so easy to find hypocrisy and contradictions in your writing it's hilarious.

I've counted about 7 so far in our conversation alone. All of which you failed to respond to.
That's not even including all of the made up facts which are a separate issue.

Correcting you on made up psychological nonsense doesn't constitute psychoanalysing you.
Like you said, please address anything you have issue with directly.

Also, you keep calling me relativistic... I'm an absolutest of sorts too. Just one that requires evidence and research instead of deciding in my flawed mind what is true and shoving it in everyone's faces.

When even the people on your own side are embarrassed by your arguments.... Chances are your arguments are embarrassing. Even if you can't see it.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Not only that, but out of all the *personal encounters* with the holy spirit / being filled with jesus stories, I'm fairly sure that most are just religious interpretations of intense emotions, presumed to be God. Or something like that at least.
To me the most easily visible evidence for this is that it happens to people of all kinds of different faiths.

Islam, Christianity and Hinduism can't all be true. Yet their adherents all claim similar religious experiences and feeling close to their deities.

That's strong evidence toward it being a psychological phenomenon.

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
*attempts to get on-point*

*derailed again by Lar's inability to respond or make new points*

Seriously, you just make up definitions, claim them to be perfectly true, assume your own viewpoint, and then shun anything that disagrees by responding vaguely or taking things personal. It's rather annoying. Please do leave. I think BOTH sides of the argument will agree on this.

To me the most easily visible evidence for this is that it happens to people of all kinds of different faiths.

Islam, Christianity and Hinduism can't all be true. Yet their adherents all claim similar religious experiences and feeling close to their deities.

I hadn't thought of it like that. Very good point.

Last edited:

Spirst

I'd always seen it this way as well. I feel like with such a massive amount of overlaps in beliefs, stories, and practices, there is a definite underlying psychological aspect to the concept of religion. I myself don't subscribe to the notion of there existing any kind of omniscient deity, so I see all of this overlap not as any validation of such, but rather as a profound conclusion that there is an inherent human need to concoct these kind of religious systems. It's very fascinating from an anthropological perspective.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I'd always seen it this way as well. I feel like with such a massive amount of overlaps in beliefs, stories, and practices, there is a definite underlying psychological aspect to the concept of religion. I myself don't subscribe to the notion of there existing any kind of omniscient deity, so I see all of this overlap not as any validation of such, but rather as a profound conclusion that there is an inherent human need to concoct these kind of religious systems. It's very fascinating from an anthropological perspective.
Stalking me Spirst!
It's okay, I guess that's just what ninjas do. :grin:

You make good points.
However, I don't think it's necessarily an "inherent" human need.
To my observation, it seems to be just the more fearful people who feel this need.

Wherever there is peace and progression for a long period of time in a region, religion starts becoming less and less important in that area. (Likewise, whenever there is violence and war, that area becomes more religiously extreme).
Could speed that process up by teaching kids healthy empirical based emotional management skills (i.e.CBT/ACT) early in school. My guess would be that we would see an even bigger fall in religion, amongst other things like psychological issues.

Spirst

Coincidental, I assure you. :lick:

I suppose "inherent" was a poor choice of words as that would imply a universal phenomenon that continues even today. Of course, as evidenced by various cultures throughout the world, that is not the case. I've noticed that, and I don't say this applies to all believers, religious beliefs seem to be propagated through fear. There's an underlying fear of God that compels them to commit their lives to avoiding "sin" and doing what it takes to ensure they get into heaven. That's something that's seldom made sense to me. It's very difficult for me to accept the premise that there is a supreme being who chooses to meddle in the affairs of mortals.

My primary interest for much of my life has been vertebrate paleontology and so, I'm very familiar with evolutionary biology. While I understand that religion and science can co-exist in a sense, I find that the latter offers a more plausible rationale for explaining the diversity of the world.

Maven89

Smash Master
Stalking me Spirst!
It's okay, I guess that's just what ninjas do. :grin:

However, I don't think it's necessarily an "inherent" human need.
To my observation, it seems to be just the more fearful people who feel this need.
This is you putting your biases on other people. Considering over 90% of the world expresses some sort of belief in the divine, as well as almost every single person in history, there would need to be some sort of evidence for you saying that they are all more "feaful" then atheists. If there is a study that backs up your claims, please provide it.

Wherever there is peace and progression for a long period of time in a region, religion starts becoming less and less important in that area. (Likewise, whenever there is violence and war, that area becomes more religiously extreme).
This isn't evidence to lack of divinity. All it would shows is that people who lack material needs turn to spiritual ones, while those who have their material needs tend to seek out more.

However, I disagree with your premise. Religious belief might rise when there's conflict, but returning to how it was before when the conflict is over doesn't mean that it's "less religious", it just returned to it's previous state of religiousness. If it was how you said, then the wealthier the nation, the less religious it is. To disprove that, I point to the United States.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Maven bro, you seem to have taken my post way out of context. I was chatting with a non religious person about the world under the assumption that we are already non religious. Not trying to prove anything to religious people.

When I stated my view I clearly said that it was just my "observation" and that it just "seems" to be the case.

This is you putting your biases on other people. Considering over 90% of the world expresses some sort of belief in the divine, as well as almost every single person in history, there would need to be some sort of evidence for you saying that they are all more "feaful" then atheists. If there is a study that backs up your claims, please provide it.
This wasn't meant to be evidence for anything.
What I said was "To my observation, it seems to be just the more fearful people who feel this need.".
I did allude to some observational evidence in the below paragraph which I think you kind of agree with anyway? (albeit with a different secondary conclusion)

This isn't evidence to lack of divinity. All it would shows is that people who lack material needs turn to spiritual ones, while those who have their material needs tend to seek out more.

However, I disagree with your premise. Religious belief might rise when there's conflict, but returning to how it was before when the conflict is over doesn't mean that it's "less religious", it just returned to it's previous state of religiousness. If it was how you said, then the wealthier the nation, the less religious it is. To disprove that, I point to the United States.
If you've read any post of mine previously in this thread, you would see that I was arguing that there isn't any evidence for the lack of divine being/s.

Since I was talking with a non-religious person I was talking from our perspective.
It's completely logical that you would interpret this piece of evidence differently and I don't dispute that.

Again just to my observation, it doesn't seem like areas return to how they were previously after conflicts are over. It seems to me to take a generation or two of peace to start placing less importance on religion again.

Example would be Iraq who were one of the most progressive middle eastern countries with little importance on religion. Then Saddam took power and dictated with fear. The country became more religious. Then the USA invaded and committed inhumane horrible acts. Now the country has become the most religiously extreme in the entire world and is a big problem.

The USA is a minor outlier. It places more importance on religion than other western countries. But it certainly doesn't place as much importance on religion as places like all over Africa, the middle east and other unsafe areas.
However you could say that the USA isn't as much of an outlier by pointing to the higher levels of violence and gun incidence and that people commonly claim that american news and media is more alarmist and negative than other western countries.
The USA also seems to have a lower happiness index than other similarly wealthy countries. The highest happiness index is in northern Europe (which also happens to be the least religious region in the western world).

Even though I do not believe that there is evidence in lack of divine being/s, I do believe there is ample evidence that major religions like Christianity, Islam and Hinduism are false.
If you would like me to provide evidence for whichever religion you belong to, let me know and I'd be happy to.

Last edited:

Articablack

Smash Apprentice
Even though I do not believe that there is evidence in lack of divine being/s, I do believe there is ample evidence that major religions like Christianity, Islam and Hinduism are false.
If you would like me to provide evidence for whichever religion you belong to, let me know and I'd be happy to.
What would you accept as valid evidence for a God?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
That's the point, there's currently nothing acceptable as valid evidence that a God exists. Maybe if there were enough independent witnesses or historians with written accounts of miracles. It's difficult to say if you'd accept evidence without having it in front of you. It might also help if the deities were active and not "I did that one thing 2000 years ago and left very questionable evidence."

Tbh at this point for me, I *feel* like I have a firm enough perception of reality that I wouldn't probably accept much anything without a divine being appearing directly to me. I'm of the opinion that people do not choose to believe, they are either convinced by something or not, so I'm just stating what would convince me.

Last edited:

Articablack

Smash Apprentice
That's the point, there's currently nothing acceptable as valid evidence that a God exists. Maybe if there were enough independent witnesses or historians with written accounts of miracles. It's difficult to say if you'd accept evidence without having it in front of you. It might also help if the deities were active and not "I did that one thing 2000 years ago and left very questionable evidence."

Tbh at this point for me, I *feel* like I have a firm enough perception of reality that I wouldn't probably accept much anything without a divine being appearing directly to me. I'm of the opinion that people do not choose to believe, they are either convinced by something or not, so I'm just stating what would convince me.
That's fair enough, and you're entitled to your beliefs. But I suppose I can't offer anything to you since, clearly, I'm no divine being, and I don't claim to have all the answers. I do appreciate your honesty.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Anything where that evidence when attached to that hypothesis can withstand the scrutiny of the scientific
method and the peer review process.

So basically the same answer I would give on any subject.

But I'll give you an example of somehing you might have been hoping I would say:

Say hypothetically that the fossil record (supported by archaeological finds and carbon dating) showed species suddenly appearing out of nowhere (even though it doesn't).

This still wouldn't be direct evidence of a God. It would more so be evidence against evolution.

But it could be used as weak evidence to support the hypothesis that we could have been created supernaturally.

But It certainly wouldn't stand the scrutiny of the scientific method because it's still just guessing why the fossils sudden appeared this way.

Like mentioned before, believing you had communication with your God is discounted evidence since it's reported by members of different faiths. Which is impossible since the religions contradict each other. (Unless it's a god/s just screwing with us). In my opinion It appears to be a result of strong misunderstood emotion.

So basically it's very difficult to give a theoretical example of direct evidence for a Gods existence. The best I could say is if a God popped down to earth, did something supernatural and said "I'm your creator".

That's why I don't bother debating the existence of a creator. It's a valid hypothesis but lacks any evidence.
The more productive debate is focusing on religion where there is plenty of evidence.

So to throw it back at you, what to you would count as valid evidence that your religion is false?

Last edited:

Articablack

Smash Apprentice
Anything where that evidence when attached to that hypothesis can withstand the scrutiny of the scientific method and the peer review process.

In my opinion It appears to be a result of strong misunderstood emotion.
How did you come to this conclusion?

So basically it's very difficult to give a theoretical example of direct evidence for a Gods existence. The best I could say is if a God popped down to earth, did something supernatural and said "I'm your creator".
Do you still hold to the first part of your post where you said that "Anything where that evidence when attached to that hypothesis can withstand the scrutiny of the scientific method and the peer review process"? I believe there is clear evidence that there is a God out there, but if the only way you will believe is if God appeared to you, then this debate isn't worth having.

So to throw it back at you, what to you would count as valid evidence that your religion is false?
If you could prove that the claims that intelligent design makes are false, then you have my attention.

Intelligent Design makes two basic claims: 1) Intelligent agents leave behind evidence or "fingerprints" and 2) in the natural world we have discovered those fingerprints. The first claim is uncontroversial.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I believe there is clear evidence that there is a God out there, but if the only way you will believe is if God appeared to you, then this debate isn't worth having.
Care to explain? In every argument I've read, heard, or participated in, it's always been a one-sided discussion with the religious or deist making claims that were thoroughly dealt with, often times having been refuted long ago, even within debates between extremely knowledgeable and intelligent people much more intellectual and experienced than ourselves. If you've something that none of them has brought up before, or something that has went under their radar and my own, I'd like to hear it.

If you could prove that the claims that intelligent design makes are false, then you have my attention.

Intelligent Design makes two basic claims: 1) Intelligent agents leave behind evidence or "fingerprints" and 2) in the natural world we have discovered those fingerprints. The first claim is uncontroversial.
Could you first provide proof that intelligent design has any truth to it at all? As I've just implied up above, I've heard it brought up many a time before, and never did it deliver, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Same think that would count as evidence for anything else.
If we could sense him with one of our 5 senses, it would be evidence for existence.

Alternatively, if we were to find extraterrestrial life that practiced the exact same religion as one of ours, that would be sufficient evidence for me.

Articablack

Smash Apprentice
Care to explain? In every argument I've read, heard, or participated in, it's always been a one-sided discussion with the religious or deist making claims that were thoroughly dealt with, often times having been refuted long ago, even within debates between extremely knowledgeable and intelligent people much more intellectual and experienced than ourselves. If you've something that none of them has brought up before, or something that has went under their radar and my own, I'd like to hear it.

Could you first provide proof that intelligent design has any truth to it at all? As I've just implied up above, I've heard it brought up many a time before, and never did it deliver, as far as I'm concerned.
I'll be honest, I haven't read the entire thread, if that is what you're referring to. If you're convinced that there is no God, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

As for proof, well we all understand cause and effect, if you heard a loud noise coming from another room something caused it. Science has compelling evidence that the Universe exploded into existence. The Big Bang. We know that this because the Universe is constantly expanding, and if you reverse that all the way back there in fact was a beginning. If there is a beginning, then there is a beginner. Going back to the noise in the room, if you did in fact hear a noise in the other room and decided to investigate and found your dad in the room and if he told you it was nothing, would that be a satisfying answer? No, you'd look for the cause.

The Universe is also finely tuned to support life on Earth, from an astral level down to a molecular level. Science tells us that there are over 50 details in the universe that makes life on earth possible. In order for everything to be fine tuned, we need a Fine Tuner. Logically speaking of course.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
Theists have no scientific evidence that God exists, atheists have no scientific evidence that He doesn't exist. /thread

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'll be honest, I haven't read the entire thread, if that is what you're referring to. If you're convinced that there is no God, I'd like to hear your reasoning.
Well first off, no, I'm referencing much more. Videos, books, in addition to discussions in other threads here, etc. I'd recommend you check out youtube and investigate debates on this subject if you want an immediate source on it that's incredibly easy to consume, or even God debates in general because that is often brought up as proof that God exists, for example as one of the infamous William Lane Craig's five contentions. Not just for the sake of hearing from people more distinguished than anyone you'd find here, but the fact that everything in this post has been mentioned many times within such contexts already and therefore time could then be saved in the future. And I'm not smart or articulate enough to do the subject justice despite my, admittedly casual***, interest in it.

Also, you yourself said that it's the claimant that must provide proof. Why then do you disregard that notion now that it doesn't target you (this being the second time now I believe)? I can't show you some experiment that shows that there is no Sky Daddy off somewhere that has to do with us and/or the universe(s). I've just found every religion and every scientific and philosophical attempt to define, demand, or demonstrate anything that would cause me to believe to be rather weak just as they've always been since the very genesis of such consideration.

***The conversation ultimately going one way or the other isn't entirely consequential to my day-to-day life so it's not worth much dedication outside of mere fancy and I wish that many others also felt this way in addition to feeling this way regarding many other topics having any sort of connection with a god, gods, or anything god-like in quality (for example I'd say free will, an ethical right or wrong, etc.).

As for proof, well we all understand cause and effect, if you heard a loud noise coming from another room something caused it. Science has compelling evidence that the Universe exploded into existence. The Big Bang. We know that this because the Universe is constantly expanding, and if you reverse that all the way back there in fact was a beginning. If there is a beginning, then there is a beginner.
Well first off, a beginning doesn't imply a beginner insofar as you're implying a conscious/living agent. You're just asking for a first cause, and this is not even close to being a new objection. I needn't go so far as to disprove it as even if both positions accepted that at the start there is something "eternal, uncaused, etc." there'd absolutely be no reason to insert the God of the Gaps and in fact even in that more favorable position being granted to the theist/deist, they would still be at a disadvantage because then they'd must explain an additional factor, being the beginner, of which they could not only prove but would also have an even greater difficulty of trying to logically explain as now we're not just dealing with material but instead something that transcends even those laws so as to have even once existed and perhaps continues to exist independently from them, while the entire time being not just raw lifeless material but also having immense capacity for intelligence, and for the theist, an uncaused personality and peculiar interest (I'd say unhealthy obsession is more accurate) in a specific pocket of the known universe.

Regardless, this is similar to that of an argument of ignorance, as it's directly dealing with unknown information and ascribing a preconceived conclusion as to its contents. You may be trying to work some logic derived from that which we do in fact know, but it still comes up presumptuous and narrow-minded (not insulting you btw) when we try to plug into the darkness. It's not true for everyone, but for I'm more comfortable admitting such an abyss is there, and scientists in particular are afraid of ever losing it. That is also why scientists aren't personally nor on a dichotomy diametrically opposed to religion as I'm sure many would delight at the discovery of such evidence as that means there is so much more to grasp than what they probably initially suspected. Not that this is being disputed of course.

The Universe is also finely tuned to support life on Earth, from an astral level down to a molecular level. Science tells us that there are over 50 details in the universe that makes life on earth possible. In order for everything to be fine tuned, we need a Fine Tuner. Logically speaking of course.
I've also heard many details on an astral level all the way down to a biological level that demonstrates that it was a blind watchmaker (there being a book called that) that involves things existing that aren't promising to as a species or as residents on this planet or particularly useful and in fact less than ideal (as a designer would be likely be interested in, be it through intelligence, benevolence, or both), not to much just extra baggage in general that either has no use or no longer has use. This ranges from impending doom from approaching galaxies, poor organization of our insides, and the like. I mention again I'm not one to really provide any expertise on it, but I remember enough to know that contrary objections have been and continue to raised against such a viewpoint and I'd once more suggest you hear from them and not myself.

In addition I find the argument from improbability to be pretty weak (i.e. the conditions somehow happen to be just right!), not only just for the common rebuttal that the universe(s) is/are so incredibly large that the odds at some point being as good as they are with us somewhere in that vast space is actually not all that questionable, but also for the fact that it simply isn't proof of any kind (rather just an inference) and any life born from chance could just as easily declare that things being exactly what they are is just so improbable yet they ignore how any particular set of qualities and history would also be unlikely given the nature of the fact that selecting any set of conditions and proceeding mutations would obviously be incredibly difficult to exactly replicate, meaning there is nothing special or remarkable in actuality about our current status in that regard just as stating every human being is unique, while not exactly false, is ironically quite uninteresting as it is only naturally so and carries little to no meaning whatsoever.

Theists have no scientific evidence that God exists, atheists have no scientific evidence that He doesn't exist. /thread

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I was responding to this post, but partway through, @ Holder of the Heel Holder of the Heel offered a hefty response (curses!).

I don't want to let my post go to waste, though. Since I approach the question in a slightly different way than Holder, I guess the following will be useful as a slightly different take on things.

(NOTE: I accidentally mistook Holder for Claire Diviner, for whatever reason. So if you were tagged for this post, Claire, apologies XD).

In any case:

[collapse=On Belief]
I know this isn't directed at me in particular. Though I figure that, since I'm here, I might as well outline my current state, if only for clerical purposes.

For myself, it's not about being "convinced" that there is "No God". It's more so that God's existence or non-existence is not a matter in which I have much investment.

I've only ever utterly had this experience -- the experience of utterly being Sehnsucht, in a reality that we call "the universe", confined on a "planet" called "Earth". I have no memory of experiences prior to my own "birth", and have no present knowledge on what experiences (if any) await upon or after my "death".

As a result, this reality is the only frame of reference that I have to determine the truth of things.

God is often defined as existing beyond space and time, of being infinite and omniscient and transcendent and imminent, and so forth. All of these things are beyond the limits of my experience. They are either things I can't fully comprehend, or things which I have not, and presently do not, experience. I haven't and don't experience visions or revelations, I don't "see" God revealing Itself in nature, all information and argument pertaining to various religions have not yet been compelling enough to prompt me to adjust my life to take into account a God, and so forth.

As a result of the particulars of my experience, I can make the following inference:

If this is a world where there is a God, then the sun rises and sets, I wake up and go about my day and go to sleep.

If this is a world where there is no God, then the sun rises and sets, I wake up and go about my day and go to sleep.

A world where there is a God, and one where there is not, are indistinguishable within my experience of reality.

Is God there? Is God not there? I have no way to tell as of this moment. And since there's no sense in structuring my life around something that has no noticeable, detectable, tangible impact on my life and experience, then, if only for the purpose of pragmatism, I live my life without considering God as a real thing that I need to take into consideration in daily living.

The specific term for this "pragmatic atheism" is apatheism (a portmanteau of apathy and atheism). Put very crudely, it's a stance of Don't Know, Don't Care. And until I do know something substantive about God, then I can't bring myself to care much about the potential existence of such an entity.
[/collapse]

As for proof, well we all understand cause and effect, if you heard a loud noise coming from another room something caused it. Science has compelling evidence that the Universe exploded into existence. The Big Bang. We know that this because the Universe is constantly expanding, and if you reverse that all the way back there in fact was a beginning. If there is a beginning, then there is a beginner. Going back to the noise in the room, if you did in fact hear a noise in the other room and decided to investigate and found your dad in the room and if he told you it was nothing, would that be a satisfying answer? No, you'd look for the cause.
[collapse=On Causes]We know that the universe was caused. Something caused the original singularity state to expand and balloon into our present universe. That much can be said without contention.

Yet that is all we can say for sure. What was the cause of this expansion? How did that singularity state come to be in the first place? Was that singularity caused into being? If so, what was its cause? If something came "before" the singularity state, what was this state of affairs? Or is it the case that the singularity state was "always" there?

The notion that this "original cause" was the result of a conscious agent (e.g. "God") is certainly one possible hypothesis. But it isn't the only feasible one. Our universe could be the product of a multiverse; it could be part of an eternally recurring cycle of universes. Perhaps the singularity state is in itself an uncaused, self-sustaining, self-justifying construct. Or perhaps the singularity rooted in some fundamental principle that has those qualities (but is not necessarily a conscious agent; it could be a mathematical or quantum principle, or set of principles, for instance). You also have stuff like branes, strings, and other trippy hypotheses that could account for the present existence of our universe.

You're invoking a form of the Cosmological Argument. Everything that exists has a cause, and if the universe exists, then the universe must have a cause. Yet because there can't be an infinite regression of causes, there must be, if you go back far enough, an original, non-caused cause that simply is, and that supplies the cause of all other things. Those who use this argument in favour of a theistic view will say that this "uncaused cause" is God. The Prime Mover, the Necessary Being, etc.

The issue is that God doesn't necessarily follow from the previous premises. We can agree that the universe has a cause for its inception. We can even agree that there might be a fundamental non-caused cause, which is self-sustaining and self-justifying. But to say that this self-sustaining, self-justifying is, ergo, God, is a bit of a leap. If you want to demonstrate that this Original Cause is synonymous with not only "a" God, but the particular conception of God you hold to, then you'll need to do some extra work to illustrate the connection or correlation between these two concepts (Causes and Gods).

As for science, it's still quite a ways away from being able to really sink its empirical teeth into the question of Universal Origin. There currently exist an array of hypotheses on the matter, but since no conclusive or substantive data has been acquired, none of the hypotheses that presently exist have become more probable than the other (to my knowledge, anyway; if there are particularly strong hypotheses for universal origin that presently exist, I invite anyone to provide a link or source).

So basically, the Cosmological Argument is insufficient to "prove" the existence of a God, because:

A) It fails to clearly show how the existence, or necessity, of universal origin, MUST therefore imply the existence of a conscious agent who was the cause of this universal origin;

B) There are various, non-God hypotheses as to universal origin, so God is not the only possible explanation. And in the context of science, you need data and evidence to determine which hypothesis is more likely. Which is why, in science, God doesn't tend to be a favoured explanation -- since, so far, no empirical evidence has been found pointing to the existence of such an entity.

If you want to use the cosmological argument (i.e. Prime Move, Uncaused Cause, Necessary Being), then you'd need to work on A) and B).
[/collapse]

[collapse=On Fine-Tuning]A Fine-Tuner is not necessary to account for our present situation on Earth. Fine-Tuning is a top-down approach, but there is also the bottom-up approach.

Which is to say, that the universe is such that it has those 50 or so "fine constants". These norms, rules, and variables are such that a world such as Earth is possible. That Earth did in fact come to be, therefore, is not a surprise. And in the past few years, they've been finding and detecting copious amounts of exoplanets in the cosmos which may be Earth-like (or serve as Super-Earths). Planets who have conditions similar to Earth's is similarly not a surprise, if the variables of the universe allow for these kinds of planets to exist.

As for Life on Earth, we're adapted to living on this planet, evidently. But that's the result of evolution via natural selection -- only those organisms who are suited for surviving in their environment will survive in the long-term. Those who happen to have traits that allow them to live longer will have a greater chance of living long enough to reproduce and pass on their genes to the next generation. Those whose traits make them less likely to survive in their environment, long enough to reproduce, will reproduce less frequently, so their genes won't spread as fast. This latter population, therefore, will be phased out of the global population over the generations, while the group with the more adaptive genes will become more dominant.

That's how natural selection works. It's not that The Earth was made for us to live; it's that we've become made for life on The Earth. Top-Down Vs Bottom-Up.

To put it differently, if A) we're the product of evolution via natural selection, and B) we currently exist, then it follows that C) our ancestors survived because they happen to have traits suited to their environment.

All of this is to say that Fine-Tuning is not necessary to explain why Earth happens to be perfect for human life (or any life that exists on Earth). Earth has Conditions X, and only organisms who have Traits Y can possibly survive under Conditions X. If our evolutionary predecessors were unable to satisfy these criteria, then they would not have survived to the present day, and so none of us would be here.

On an alien world with Conditions Z, and where only organisms who have Traits W could possibly survive, will it really be any surprise that if life emerges on that world, that the organisms that dwell there exhibit Traits W?

The process of evolution in biology is an observed, confirmed fact, and the Theory of Evolution is the most comprehensive body of knowledge that accounts for how and why evolution works (e.g. via the mechanism of natural selection).

You could perhaps propose that a Fine-Tuner tuned the universe such that the process of evolution is possible, and that it would eventually yield a species such as humans. But a world where evolution was the result of Fine-Tuning, and a world were evolution is a result of physical laws and variables interacting, are indistinguishable.

Science knows that evolution is there, but it hasn't yet determined the presence or influence or any Fine-Tuner. Which is why the Fine-Tuning argument doesn't hold well from a strictly scientific viewpoint (since it follows the available evidence above all else). And philosophically, it's a matter of pragmatism; you don't need to posit the existence or more things (e.g. Fine-Tuners) when existing explanations can account for a given phenomenon (e.g. evolution, the conditions of Earth, etc. etc.).

The universe was not made for us. We molded ourselves to fit into the universe. And if the universe was indeed made, that becomes a different question, and so we must begin the work of demonstrating that the universe was made, and by what or whom.
[/collapse]

So there you go. I have the habit of writing long posts, but I did try to be comprehensive, so it's all good.

EDIT:

If God, by definition or nature, cannot be detected, observed, measured, or whatever else, using scientific, empirical means, then naturally, science will never be able to elucidate the question.

Though I would say that, from a pragmatic standpoint, if science can account for our reality and the phenomena therein, without needing to invoke a supernatural agent, then there's no need to suppose such an agent exists (and if it does exists, whether we Humans of Earth should care that it exists).

Much in the same way that you don't need to suppose gravity is the result of attraction between objects with mass AND the result of non-observable pixies who push and pull against objects. If the former explanation (mass attraction) fully accounts for, or explains, the phenomenon, you don't need to invoke the latter explanation (non-observable pixies) to account for the phenomenon.

I would also say that there exist philosophical or logical arguments that support or refute the existence of God. If God is defined to be consistent with the rules of logic, then if God is shown to not be logically consistent, the idea of God existing would be invalidated -- at least, for the particular definition of God that is presented in the argument.

All of this to say that in the absence of clear proof, we can only deal in probabilities and likelihood. All we can do, at least for now, is attempt to determine not which scenario is true, but which scenario is more likely to be true.

And also, by saying neither side could ever possibly be shown to be right or wrong, you stifle the chance for productive and enlightening discourse and discussion, which would be gravely unfortunate for everyone.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
We're lucky to have someone as well read and intelligent as Sehnsucht on these boards to give such great answers like these. I don't disagree with anything there and couldn't come up with better answers myself.

So Articablack, I'll just answer the ones that you asked me directly. Otherwise just make sure you read and understand Sehnsucht's post as we share very similar opinions, but he puts it much better.

How did you come to this conclusion?
Like I mentioned before, the fact that adherents of different faiths (i.e. Christianity, Islam and Hinduism) all describe similar religious experiences, shows to me that it's very likely a psychological phenomenon.
Also people without clear religious affiliation but highly superstitious seem to more commonly have experiences similar to this.

People with emotional disorders are more likely to have these kind of experiences too. I won't dig up a study right now, but if you google something like "emotional disorders spiritual people" you will find plenty.

Before I get taken out of context, I'll just repeat what I said "In my opinion It appears to be a result of strong misunderstood emotion.". So I'm not stating anything as a fact and forcing it upon you. This is just how it appears to me and part of the reason why.

I also have personal experience that contributed to this view (obviously just my interpretation of an experience, so not to be taken over hard evidence like a peer reviewed study on religious experience and emotion).
I used to be religious and believed that I had a relationship with the Christian god up until a few years ago. I took my religion very seriously and the relationship felt very real to me. So I know what it's like to feel the way you probably do about this now.
Eventually I came to the realisation that most of the ignorant, counter-productive and hateful beliefs in the world all come from emotional attachments to our beliefs. So from then on I practised trying to separate my emotions from influencing my opinions (harder than it sounds, takes alot of practise).

I became much better at being honest with myself and objectively evaluating my religious beliefs with much smaller influence from my religious bias. So looking at the evidence and interpretations from both sides, it wasn't long before I realised my religious beliefs didn't stand up to objective scrutiny.
I realised that this god relationship was most likely simulated in my mind. It was a conversation between my thoughts and my emotions. I would speak through my thoughts, and I interpreted particular emotions as gods presence or responses from god, which in turn led to further perpetuated emotion (religious experience).
I suspect this to be common among those who feel they have relationships with deities.

Do you still hold to the first part of your post where you said that "Anything where that evidence when attached to that hypothesis can withstand the scrutiny of the scientific method and the peer review process"? I believe there is clear evidence that there is a God out there, but if the only way you will believe is if God appeared to you, then this debate isn't worth having.
That's why I've mentioned in nearly all of my posts that I'm not interested in a debate about a gods existence.
I never took a position on it aside from accepting my lack of knowledge of any evidence for either position.

The summary of my post was just, I'd believe in a god is if there was strong direct evidence for a god. Seeing one was an example of direct scientifically permissible evidence for a deity.
Ben Holt actually came up with a great example above about extraterrestrials believing one of our religions. That would be good evidence.
Also anything like the fossil record example I gave in my last post would make it a more valuable hypothesis to me.

I believe that there is plenty of evidence that contradicts the intelligent design hypothesis.
As I found after learning those skills mentioned in the personal experience paragraph above, there is very little room for doubting the theory of evolution once you have a reasonable understanding of it. That is, as long as you put your feelings/biases aside.

So I'll give a couple examples of evidence for evolution, which also contradicts the hypothesis of intelligent design in the below spoiler tags.
Note: I'm not doing any further reading on this, it's just based on memory of prior reading, so forgive me if I get some details wrong. Also note there is mountains more evidence, this is just a few things my memory has retained.

Vestigial Traits - (I'll start with these as they are easy to understand. But there exists much stronger evidence than this)
I could go on for days about other animal vestigial traits/organs like the legs on whales, so I'll just stick to a few human examples.
Human goosebumps serve a biological function in mammals to make their hair stand on end and make them appear bigger and increase warmth. Humans do not have enough hair on their bodies to have any benefit of either of these. So why do we get this?
Another human example is our appendix.
Another example is the human tail when we are in the embryonic phase of development.

Note the tail clearly visible on stages 12-18. It doesn't grow beyond that point and ends up as our tail bone.
In other mammals such as dogs, it continues to grow into the dog tails we see when fully grown.

Fossil Record - The simplest one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_evolution_fossils
As you can see in that link, the fossil record shows creatures to become gradually more similar modern humans as time passes, till the fossils eventually become identical to modern man. We can even track the movements of these creatures around Africa, Asia and Europe by taking into account where each fossil was found and at what time (I won't go into evidence for the validity of modern dating methods as this would start to get very granular, but I have done my research on this to). It's fascinating stuff.

DNA - The commonality between animals
The popular example being homo sapiens and chimpanzee's sharing something like 98%? DNA.
The biggest counter you always hear is "god used the same building blocks to make us both". But this actually lacks alot of understanding the complexity of this similarity.
Over 90% of our DNA is inactive (known as junk DNA). Meaning it does not effect us. It's just baggage leftover from mutations of ancestors.
This DNA shows us our genetic history and contains genes that are inactive in humans but still active in other species, like cats for example (and vica versa).
Almost all of this inactive DNA is still the same as chimps. Most of it is also in common with other apes. Less with other mammals. Less with reptiles. So on and so forth, just as you'd expect to see if Darwins theory was correct.

Retroviruses provide further DNA evidence. They are viruses that attach themselves to our DNA. They then get passed on to our offspring. So if your father originally contracted a retrovirus before he conceived you, you will have it too. But no one else will have it aside from your siblings.
Again, humans share almost all the same retroviruses with chimps, a bit less with other apes, a but less with other mammals, less with reptiles, less with fish.

Basically, these are the same mechanisms that we use in a blood test to tell whether a child is related to a certain father or not. Unless you have a wonderfully imaginative justification, then rejecting the DNA evidence for evolution means you are also rejecting the DNA evidence for proving human relations.

Rebuttal of most popular intelligent design argument against evolution:
I often hear creationists claim that animals do mutate, but never into different species. They insist that there is no evidence of "one species evolving into a different species".
That can quickly be hit on the head with the example of tigers and lions (or dogs and wolves or zebra and horses) . They can breed together, but then their offspring are infertile. This is due to chromosomes having mutated enough to be a kind of in-between state. The two divergences have mutated enough not to be considered the same species, but still in the same genus.
So at the very least you have to concede that even if evolution is false, the creator made it look like it's true. Misleading evidence was planted.

I'm glad that you're emphasising the importance of logic. What logic is there in jumping to the conclusion that the cause of something that appears organised must have human characteristics?
A creator with human characteristics such as consciousness is one valid hypothesis. But no better than one without any human properties.
But again, Sehnsucht's post on this was great. I'd be more interested in your response to that.

Last edited:

Articablack

Smash Apprentice
Holy cow what a response, guys.

Okay, so I want to get back to you guys with a reply but I can't at the moment, at least not for the next week. I'm heading out of state soon, but I did read your posts, and I'll try to address them. I also appreciate that the replies haven't been filled with any malice and for the most part everyone has been very tamed with such a subject. The last thing I want to do is insult anyone, and I've never been apart of a community where that hasn't been the case about this subject matter.

I'm fairly new to these forums and was brought here by the Melee Documentary, and I'm happy to know that at the end of the day, atheist, apatheist, agnostic, or theist, we're all still gamers, and even though we may have different beliefs and convictions, we can still game together.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
We're lucky to have someone as well read and intelligent as Sehnsucht on these boards to give such great answers like these. I don't disagree with anything there and couldn't come up with better answers myself.
Both of those things are highly debatable.

But still...

Like I mentioned before, the fact that adherents of different faiths (i.e. Christianity, Islam and Hinduism) all describe similar religious experiences, shows to me that it's very likely a psychological phenomenon.
Also people without clear religious affiliation but highly superstitious seem to more commonly have experiences similar to this.

People with emotional disorders are more likely to have these kind of experiences too. I won't dig up a study right now, but if you google something like "emotional disorders spiritual people" you will find plenty.

Before I get taken out of context, I'll just repeat what I said "In my opinion It appears to be a result of strong misunderstood emotion.". So I'm not stating anything as a fact and forcing it upon you. This is just how it appears to me and part of the reason why.
I am reminded of that episode of South Park, where a bunch of people from different faiths end up in Hell. Satan appears, and the people demand to know what they got wrong, and which faith was the one true faith.

Satan then reveals that Mormonism was, in fact, the correct faith. XD

The contrast in the plurality of religions, and the commonality of "religious" or "spiritual" experiences between those religions, does seem to suggest some underlying phenomenon or feature of the human brain or mind or experience, which causes the phenomena of, for instance, vision and revelation, feeling a "profound connection" to an unseen person, and so on.

I'm not too knowledgeable on what science there exists on this subject. But it's indeed intriguing.

My pet hypothesis, which is supported by nothing but armchair speculation, is perhaps that self-awareness brings with it the impulse to externalize anthropomorphization -- you impose the human mind onto the universe. The universe, therefore, becomes not some nameless Other, but part of the Tribe. The imposition of spirits and gods onto reality may also have been a useful behavioural adaptation, assigning an arbitrary overseer to help the group to cohere and follow a certain set of norms. The human brain being innately inclined to narrative may also be a factor in the advent of mythologies and theologies.

I don't hold any of this to be true, naturally. Or even likely. Just some ideas that I've mulled over before.

I also have personal experience that contributed to this view (obviously just my interpretation of an experience, so not to be taken over hard evidence like a peer reviewed study on religious experience and emotion).
I used to be religious and believed that I had a relationship with the Christian god up until a few years ago. I took my religion very seriously and the relationship felt very real to me. So I know what it's like to feel the way you probably do about this now.

Eventually I came to the realisation that most of the ignorant, counter-productive and hateful beliefs in the world all come from emotional attachments to our beliefs. So from then on I practised trying to separate my emotions from influencing my opinions (harder than it sounds, takes alot of practise).

I became much better at being honest with myself and objectively evaluating my religious beliefs with much smaller influence from my religious bias. So looking at the evidence and interpretations from both sides, it wasn't long before I realised my religious beliefs didn't stand up to objective scrutiny.
I realised that this god relationship was most likely simulated in my mind. It was a conversation between my thoughts and my emotions. I would speak through my thoughts, and I interpreted particular emotions as gods presence or responses from god, which in turn led to further perpetuated emotion (religious experience).
I suspect this to be common among those who feel they have relationships with deities.
Deconversion stories are always pretty interesting.

I was never a theist -- not really, anyway. As a child, I'd use to go to church. But I was more focused on lamenting the fact that I had to get up on Sundays and put on nice clothes and go to this random place for a few hours, when I could be doing something else (like playing outside). We eventually stopped going, which I think was for the best, since I recall not enjoying my time there. 8P

During the 14-16 age range, I was also immersed in subjects like NDEs, conspiracy theory, and New Age mysticism. I found these things fascinating in themselves, but I also found myself being drawn into the web of considering whether this stuff could be true. I suppose it's good that I eventually outgrew that phase, and never became a bona fide True Believer in those domains.

Good to know that you now find yourself in a better place, at the least.

I believe that there is plenty of evidence that contradicts the intelligent design hypothesis.
As I found after learning those skills mentioned in the personal experience paragraph above, there is very little room for doubting the theory of evolution once you have a reasonable understanding of it. That is, as long as you put your feelings/biases aside.

So I'll give a couple examples of evidence for evolution, which also contradicts the hypothesis of intelligent design in the below spoiler tags.
Note: I'm not doing any further reading on this, it's just based on memory of prior reading, so forgive me if I get some details wrong. Also note there is mountains more evidence, this is just a few things my memory has retained.

Vestigial Traits - (I'll start with these as they are easy to understand. But there exists much stronger evidence than this)
I could go on for days about other animal vestigial traits/organs like the legs on whales, so I'll just stick to a few human examples.
Human goosebumps serve a biological function in mammals to make their hair stand on end and make them appear bigger and increase warmth. Humans do not have enough hair on their bodies to have any benefit of either of these. So why do we get this?
Another human example is our appendix.
Another example is the human tail when we are in the embryonic phase of development.

Note the tail clearly visible on stages 12-18. It doesn't grow beyond that point and ends up as our tail bone.
In other mammals such as dogs, it continues to grow into the dog tails we see when fully grown.

Fossil Record - The simplest one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_evolution_fossils
As you can see in that link, the fossil record shows creatures to become gradually more similar modern humans as time passes, till the fossils eventually become identical to modern man. We can even track the movements of these creatures around Africa, Asia and Europe by taking into account where each fossil was found and at what time (I won't go into evidence for the validity of modern dating methods as this would start to get very granular, but I have done my research on this to). It's fascinating stuff.

DNA - The commonality between animals
The popular example being homo sapiens and chimpanzee's sharing something like 98%? DNA.
The biggest counter you always hear is "god used the same building blocks to make us both". But this actually lacks alot of understanding the complexity of this similarity.
Over 90% of our DNA is inactive (known as junk DNA). Meaning it does not effect us. It's just baggage leftover from mutations of ancestors.
This DNA shows us our genetic history and contains genes that are inactive in humans but still active in other species, like cats for example (and vica versa).
Almost all of this inactive DNA is still the same as chimps. Most of it is also in common with other apes. Less with other mammals. Less with reptiles. So on and so forth, just as you'd expect to see if Darwins theory was correct.

Retroviruses provide further DNA evidence. They are viruses that attach themselves to our DNA. They then get passed on to our offspring. So if your father originally contracted a retrovirus before he conceived you, you will have it too. But no one else will have it aside from your siblings.
Again, humans share almost all the same retroviruses with chimps, a bit less with other apes, a but less with other mammals, less with reptiles, less with fish.

Basically, these are the same mechanisms that we use in a blood test to tell whether a child is related to a certain father or not. Unless you have a wonderfully imaginative justification, then rejecting the DNA evidence for evolution means you are also rejecting the DNA evidence for proving human relations.

Rebuttal of most popular intelligent design argument against evolution:
I often hear creationists claim that animals do mutate, but never into different species. They insist that there is no evidence of "one species evolving into a different species".
That can quickly be hit on the head with the example of tigers and lions (or dogs and wolves or zebra and horses) . They can breed together, but then their offspring are infertile. This is due to chromosomes having mutated enough to be a kind of in-between state. The two divergences have mutated enough not to be considered the same species, but still in the same genus.
So at the very least you have to concede that even if evolution is false, the creator made it look like it's true. Misleading evidence was planted.
If an Intelligent Design proponent tries to discredit the process of evolution, then they'd be in the wrong. More is known about how evolution works than how gravity works. Physicists know how it works, but not why, or what's the foundation of gravity, and so on. It hasn't even yet been unified with the other fundamental forces, yet.

And yet, it's much easier to acknowledge the existence of gravity by experience an intuition alone, than it is to acknowledge the existence of evolution. A bit ironic, I'd say.

An ID proponent may try to argue against the Theory of Evolution. Which they could, since while biological evolution undeniably happens, the theory that seeks to explain and account for it could be inaccurate or even false in large parts. But A) theories are open to revision in light of new evidence, which is the nature of a theory, and B) the Theory of Evolution is an extensive, exhaustive, comprehensive body of knowledge with tons of explanatory power, so the ID proponent might have a hard time trying to debunk or discredit this framework.

Lastly, an ID proponent might accept evolution and the theory thereof, but assert that Life on Earth was kickstarted by some designer. Though this is a separate issue from evolution, which concerns how life changes over time, and not how it began (a common misconception). In science, the study of organic life origin is known as abiogenesis -- how organic molecules and chemicals came together to start the complex chemical chain that we call "Life".

You could say that some manner of transcendent mind was the cause of this catalyzation. And that would be a valid, though different debate. And it would remain that whether Life on Earth was kickstarted by God or aliens or simply unguided chemical interaction, it wouldn't change that there is such a thing as evolution, and that we humans, along with all other life of Earth, have come to be via those evolutionary processes.

Just thought I'd supplement your examination with notes on how ID can relate to evolution and/or the origins of life.

I'm glad that you're emphasising the importance of logic. What logic is there in jumping to the conclusion that the cause of something that appears organised must have human characteristics?
A creator with human characteristics such as consciousness is one valid hypothesis. But no better than one without any human properties.
But again, Sehnsucht's post on this was great. I'd be more interested in your response to that.
I suppose you could say that, if there is a creator-mind that is capable with communicating with humans, then to us, this creator-mind would invariably seem as though it possesses human-like qualities. But that doesn't tell us anything about how anthropic this creator-mind might be, or whether it might be totally alien (and an aside, I've always amused myself into thinking that the concept of God has insidious Lovecraftian undertones XD).

Also,

Okay, so I want to get back to you guys with a reply but I can't at the moment, at least not for the next week. I'm heading out of state soon, but I did read your posts, and I'll try to address them. I also appreciate that the replies haven't been filled with any malice and for the most part everyone has been very tamed with such a subject. The last thing I want to do is insult anyone, and I've never been apart of a community where that hasn't been the case about this subject matter.
The key to fostering a good and proper discourse is to be a most excellent person.

I'm fairly new to these forums and was brought here by the Melee Documentary, and I'm happy to know that at the end of the day, atheist, apatheist, agnostic, or theist, we're all still gamers, and even though we may have different beliefs and convictions, we can still game together.
Maybe that was always the solution to all the strife and conflict emergent in Internet debate.

Instead of letting discussions of religion devolve into spats of toxic ad hominen invective, we could have just SETTLED IT IN SMASH!!!

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well said mate. Whenever you feel like it is cool.

I am reminded of that episode of South Park, where a bunch of people from different faiths end up in Hell. Satan appears, and the people demand to know what they got wrong, and which faith was the one true faith.

Satan then reveals that Mormonism was, in fact, the correct faith. XD

The contrast in the plurality of religions, and the commonality of "religious" or "spiritual" experiences between those religions, does seem to suggest some underlying phenomenon or feature of the human brain or mind or experience, which causes the phenomena of, for instance, vision and revelation, feeling a "profound connection" to an unseen person, and so on.

I'm not too knowledgeable on what science there exists on this subject. But it's indeed intriguing.

My pet hypothesis, which is supported by nothing but armchair speculation, is perhaps that self-awareness brings with it the impulse to externalize anthropomorphization -- you impose the human mind onto the universe. The universe, therefore, becomes not some nameless Other, but part of the Tribe. The imposition of spirits and gods onto reality may also have been a useful behavioural adaptation, assigning an arbitrary overseer to help the group to cohere and follow a certain set of norms. The human brain being innately inclined to narrative may also be a factor in the advent of mythologies and theologies.

I don't hold any of this to be true, naturally. Or even likely. Just some ideas that I've mulled over before.
Yeah I saw that episode too. Pretty hilarious.

I like that hypothesis. Heard similar before.

Deconversion stories are always pretty interesting.

I was never a theist -- not really, anyway. As a child, I'd use to go to church. But I was more focused on lamenting the fact that I had to get up on Sundays and put on nice clothes and go to this random place for a few hours, when I could be doing something else (like playing outside). We eventually stopped going, which I think was for the best, since I recall not enjoying my time there. 8P

During the 14-16 age range, I was also immersed in subjects like NDEs, conspiracy theory, and New Age mysticism. I found these things fascinating in themselves, but I also found myself being drawn into the web of considering whether this stuff could be true. I suppose it's good that I eventually outgrew that phase, and never became a bona fide True Believer in those domains.

Good to know that you now find yourself in a better place, at the least.
Definitely. My parents have always, and still do take their religion very seriously. So I was pretty strongly brainwashed to feel like it was true and important early on. Went to a Christian school for 12 years too. Been much happier and felt much more in control of my life since leaving it though. But I'm still in the closet to my parents (only my parents).

I went through the conspiracy theory phase at that age as well. Out of curiosity, how old are you now?

To make my story more interesting, it was a journey I took along with a Muslim friend of mine.
Part of what led me to questioning my beliefs was that we realised at the heart of it we both believed our religion for the same reasons.

They took a little longer than me, but stopped believing in Islam too. Funny because we probably wouldn't have ever listened to a non-religious person telling us that religion is all the same and is false. But talking deeply with another religious person led us to eventually being non-religious. A fun analogy there is that a positive and a negative equal a negative, but two negatives equal a positive.

If an Intelligent Design proponent tries to discredit the process of evolution, then they'd be in the wrong. More is known about how evolution works than how gravity works. Physicists know how it works, but not why, or what's the foundation of gravity, and so on. It hasn't even yet been unified with the other fundamental forces, yet.

And yet, it's much easier to acknowledge the existence of gravity by experience an intuition alone, than it is to acknowledge the existence of evolution. A bit ironic, I'd say.

An ID proponent may try to argue against the Theory of Evolution. Which they could, since while biological evolution undeniably happens, the theory that seeks to explain and account for it could be inaccurate or even false in large parts. But A) theories are open to revision in light of new evidence, which is the nature of a theory, and B) the Theory of Evolution is an extensive, exhaustive, comprehensive body of knowledge with tons of explanatory power, so the ID proponent might have a hard time trying to debunk or discredit this framework.

Lastly, an ID proponent might accept evolution and the theory thereof, but assert that Life on Earth was kickstarted by some designer. Though this is a separate issue from evolution, which concerns how life changes over time, and not how it began (a common misconception). In science, the study of organic life origin is known as abiogenesis -- how organic molecules and chemicals came together to start the complex chemical chain that we call "Life".

You could say that some manner of transcendent mind was the cause of this catalyzation. And that would be a valid, though different debate. And it would remain that whether Life on Earth was kickstarted by God or aliens or simply unguided chemical interaction, it wouldn't change that there is such a thing as evolution, and that we humans, along with all other life of Earth, have come to be via those evolutionary processes.

Just thought I'd supplement your examination with notes on how ID can relate to evolution and/or the origins of life.
Well said.
I think the ID movement is specifically creationist. So someone who believes that evolution was a tool used by god/s wouldn't be a true ID proponent.

Maybe that was always the solution to all the strife and conflict emergent in Internet debate.

Instead of letting discussions of religion devolve into spats of toxic ad hominen invective, we could have just SETTLED IT IN SMASH!!!
:chuckle:

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Definitely. My parents have always, and still do take their religion very seriously. So I was pretty strongly brainwashed to feel like it was true and important early on. Went to a Christian school for 12 years too. Been much happier and felt much more in control of my life since leaving it though. But I'm still in the closet to my parents (only my parents).

I went through the conspiracy theory phase at that age as well. Out of curiosity, how old are you now?
I'm 21 at the moment. The phase really started because at around that time, I got my first laptop, and was thus able to surf the Internet on my own in a way that was previously unavailable to me. So I had all this information at my fingertips about the world, though I didn't necessarily have a filter or a foundation to critically or skeptically examine the information I found.

After that phase, I grew more interested in stuff like physics and biology and philosophy, as well as theology (i.e. the research into the substance of religious worldviews). This also brought Apologetics to my attention (i.e. the defense of the rationality of religious faith, and arguing in favour of one's religion). I'm thankful that I ultimately went down this path of hobbyist research, if only because I've learned a great deal of fascinating information.

To make my story more interesting, it was a journey I took along with a Muslim friend of mine.
Part of what led me to questioning my beliefs was that we realised at the heart of it we both believed our religion for the same reasons.

They took a little longer than me, but stopped believing in Islam too. Funny because we probably wouldn't have ever listened to a non-religious person telling us that religion is all the same and is false. But talking deeply with another religious person led us to eventually being non-religious. A fun analogy there is that a positive and a negative equal a negative, but two negatives equal a positive.
More interesting indeed.

I'm reminded of that old quote by Stephen F. Roberts:

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yous."

Basically, it's a quote about perspective. Sam believes in religion A and dismisses religion B, and Marty does the inverse. They both believe in their respective religions, and both dismiss the validity of the other's religion. How could Marty possibly believe in religion B, Sam thinks? How could Sam possibly believe in religion A, Marty thinks?

Put that way, it's all the same. If it's all rooted in faith that can't be externally vouched through empirical support, then for all intents and purposes, adhering to one religion is as arbitrary as adhering to the other (since there's no way to show one being more factual than the other, save by the say-so of the adherent and/or their sacred texts and/or apologetic argument).

I'd imagine that the insular leaning of most religions have something to do with it. They're exclusive clubs, in that you're expected to be loyal to the brand, and shirk other brands. If honest lines of dialogue were to be opened between adherents of different faiths, perhaps they'd come to a mutual understanding of what leads them to believe one religion over another.

You could also get the outcome of one person genuinely convincing the other to convert. But at least an honest dialogue did take place, which is better than nothing.

Well said.
I think the ID movement is specifically creationist. So someone who believes that evolution was a tool used by god/s wouldn't be a true ID proponent.
If by Creationism, we're saying that some agent worked toward the specific existence of the human species, then ID would be Creationist.

Though I'd still say that ID would still apply if the "Designer" simply set things into motion, or toppled the first evolutionary domino, and just sat back. Though depending on whether the desired outcome was mankind, you could probably divide ID into categories of Direct Creation (i.e. the Designer knew, or was counting on, or wanted the result of evolution to be mankind), or Indirect Creation (i.e. the Designer set evolution into motion, and wasn't necessarily banking on our advent as a species).

That sounds like Theism VS Deism, actually, in that Indirect Creation set things into motion, but then wiped their hands of it and called it a day.

As an aside, the idea that I, or the human species at large, have a "purpose" or a "plan" in the grand design, is still weird to me to this day. If a Designer designed or created us, then it must have been for some purpose or goal. As I write this, I can't think of any such teleological aspiration that isn't circular or divinely self-serving or just plain alien.

Last edited:

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
The whole Stephen King/All-Atheist argument is so circular and stupid, no offense, but seriously- faith is based off of personal perspective and belief- no **** if you look at another persons perspective you can see why they dismiss yours. Because its all based on perspective- you can't base it off logic because there's no logic to explain or debunk the supernatural because we have no evidence that it would profit the deity to provide evidence of existence.

We can't set up ground rules on logic when talking about the supernatural because we have nothing to prove that they would associate with humans, so we have no reason to believe that they would leave evidence. It is impossible to have any beliefs because even if we were to use logic, just thinking about it provides you with enough evidence to say "Why the ****, if you were a god, would you be concerned with leaving evidence". Does this deity take pleasure in "playing god"? If we're created after their image (a lot of religions say something like this) do we inherent the pleasure of dominance from them? If they're supposedly perfect- then shouldn't this flaw of pleasure from dominant not exist? How do we decide if this is a flaw to the deity, and if the deity is flawless or not?

We simply can't. We have no info about anything regarding a possible deity, yet we have nothing to debunk it because of the way supernatural topics work (natural evidence would be worthless). Is this so called deity even super natural or just a higher evolved being? Again, we cannot answer. With no concrete evidence on the theist side and no logical evidence on the atheist's side- we are left with an unanswerable question and the only answer we have is blind faith or false evidence.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Hey, @[OCK]LLama. Welcome to the forums! And good first post.

I assume "Stephen King" refers to the Stephen Roberts quote I reference in my prior post. It'd be surreal to see such a renown author as King throw himself into the modern religious and philosophical discourse. But I'd certainly go see what he'd have to say.

Anyway.

It seems your stance is that all discussion as to the actual existence or non-existence of one or more deities, whatever the form, is futile, a time-waster. One view or stance is just as arbitrary as the other, because without conclusive evidence, there's no barometer to gauge which view is more accurate, or representative of external reality, than the other.

This is true on its own, but it doesn't describe how religious and philosophical discourse operate, or what they're supposed to do or accomplish. It is possible to discuss these things meaningfully and coherently, for these discussions to have value. Because it's less about talks of evidence -- whether X really does or really does not exist -- and more about probabilities -- how likely is it that Claim X is true or not.

In the absence of evidence, no one knows whether there are or are not deities, whether there is or is not a supernatural dimension, what the nature of such deities might be, etc. You're correct in this regard, and while I'm sure there are people who would reject this notion, they're likely to be in the minority.

What you are then left with is a game of definitions, claims, assertions, and propositions. In other words, the non-empirical domain of Philosophy (which concerns itself with non-empirical investigation, as opposed to Science).

A person says "hey, I propose the factual existence of God X under Definition(s) Y", and the other person examines the claim, and sees how likely the factual existence of God X could be if we use Definition(s) Y. That's how all debate is structured; someone proposes Claim X with tenets Y, and the audience examines and cross-examines tenets Y.

Finding that the argument for God X works says nothing about whether God X in fact exists. What it does say is that the existence of God X, as defined under Definition(s) Y, is possible, and perhaps even probable (depending on what argument claims).

In the absence of evidence, we can only discuss ideas, and respond to the ideas others propose. If this is the game we're playing (and have no choice but to play, in the absence of evidence), then not all stances are arbitrary -- that is, if we agree that a stance should be logically consistent, compatible with our experience of reality, etc.

Both the theist and nontheist can agree that there is such a thing as a material world (the one in which we coexist, and the one we experience), which we can call X. But the theist, in addition to believing X, also holds to Y -- the existence of some deity or other.

The nontheist wonders why you would hold to Y when there is no evidence that Y exists. There is substantive evidence that there is X (the shared natural reality we experience), but not for Y. Why would you then bother to think about Y is if has no apparent impact or relevance to your daily experience? Why would you structure your life to take Y into account? The nontheist doesn't see the use of this, and so lives their life without bothering to think of Y's actual existence -- even if Y does actually exist, despite the lack of evidence to say so with certitude.

The reason there is value in these discussions is because beliefs don't exist in a vacuum. Beliefs about God(s), the Supernatural, and so on spill over into the spheres of politics and society and culture. They affect our lives through those that hold to these beliefs and perpetuate them, so it's a good idea to discuss these beliefs and their impact.

The goal of religious discussion is not to prove or disprove the existence of deities. It's to determine how we should collectively seek to conduct our lives. Leaves are green, but the fact that they're green tells me nothing about how I should live my life. If we discover that deities exist, but they otherwise have no notable relevance to my daily experience, then they're just a fixture in reality, a piece of trivia to be referenced.

People are concerned about the existence of deities only insofar as the existence of deities would inform how we should live. People wouldn't care about deities if they had zero relevance to their lives, or if people didn't have to factor their existence into their daily decision-making. But there are people with belief X telling others how they should live, and people with beliefs Y or Z doing the same thing, and even people with no beliefs telling others how they should live. This is at the heart of religious debate -- not academic bragging rights.

So to sum:

A) IF we hold that beliefs should be logically consistent and coherent, and should be compatible with our experience and observation of reality, then there will inevitably be views and beliefs that are more rational to adopt than others, and we can use logic and other tools to sort them out.

B) If there is no conclusive empirical evidence for the existence of deities, then for all intents and purposes, those deities may as well not exist, even if they actually do -- because they have no determinable impact, and therefore, no relevance, to our daily experience, so there's no need, pragmatically, speaking, to take their (hypothetical) existence into account.

C) It's no use saying that all religious discourse and debate is circular, because people do have beliefs, and these beliefs affect our lives, both on a societal level and on an interpersonal level. The aim of discussing religion, therefore, isn't to prove or disprove whether they actually exist; it's to decide how we should live our lives. The sun exists, whoop-dee-doo, but the fact that the sun exists tells me nothing about how I should live. And so it goes for deities, supernatural or otherwise.

I apologize in advance if I've missed or misinterpreted your point, by the way. I can get lost in the needlessly long posts that I draft.

As for the Roberts quote, I read him as playing a game of definitions -- he's not saying everyone is an atheist (this is patently obvious), but rather, he's trying to illustrate to the theist that they lack epistemic pragmatism. The theist rejects all other religious beliefs that have no evidence for their legitimacy, nor an impact on their life. The atheist (Roberts argues) makes one less assumption about our experience of reality than the theist. His quote is an argument for epistemic pragmatism in light of the absence of evidence -- a stance I'm inclined to agree with, if only because I use the term apatheism (pragmatic atheism) as a descriptor of my own present stance.

Anyway, hope this post isn't too scattershot and meandering. And I'll go ahead and wish you a good stay at Smashboards. ;)

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
To those saying that other intelligent life worshiping would be proof i counter that it would only prove that social evolution is real and behaves like it does here lending credence to the notion that People be they human or other evolve similarly regardless of locale...

Last edited:

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
If you can sense something with your five senses, and/or measure using some sort of device then that thing is real. Can you feel or measure God? Well no. I remember being taught that "you can't see God you can only feel him" but I don't think that's possible. If there's a God it would be a deistic God, not the God from the Bible/Koran/etc.

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
In the Bible, it showed there was a hidden island that no one has set sight on before ( even the Scientists didn't know).

Hence, the scientists then followed where the Bible showed the hidden Island (and it was true the island existed).

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I wonder with a question like this, if we could. How would this change society on a whole? What would that mean for people who would reject him, assuming a Christian like god. After the fact what would then happen then or science? Where would we try to go? Turning ourselves into Gods? Trying to find a way to circumvent life so we can just live there?

If the reverse was proven true? Then what would that mean for the origin of the universe. Where did it start? What are the others out there? Without a god is there still an afterlife or cycle or reincarnation? Is it possible someone can become a god in concept?

Interesting kinda off topic but something I thought was worth discussing if this question could be answered for proven or dis-proven.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
If the reverse was proven true?
You can not disprove the general idea of god. Theists will just claim that we can't deal with the supernatural and therefore never disprove the idea of god. Even if we could somehow prove that the origin of the universe is a simple mechanism, law, whatever. Theists will just claim their god started it. It's just like with Evolution. After biblical creationism was disproved, they just claimed their god starded evolution.
The man made gods from Allah to Zeus on the other hand are pretty much proven to be just fictional.
Then what would that mean for the origin of the universe. Where did it start?
Nothing would change. It started with the Big Bang, how it occurred is unknown since we can only look so far back into the past. We can only guess (for example "god did it") at the moment or except that we don't know the answer.

What are the others out there?
What others?

Without a god is there still an afterlife or cycle or reincarnation?
You mean if there would be still the concept of an afterlife? Sure. There are already people believing in an afterlife or reincarnation without a believe in a deity.

Is it possible someone can become a god in concept?
"God" itself is a concept. And one with many meanings. Of course a human can't become a creator of the universe. But by other definitions it's possible. For example if we would create life from nothing.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I wonder with a question like this, if we could. How would this change society on a whole? What would that mean for people who would reject him, assuming a Christian like god. After the fact what would then happen then or science? Where would we try to go? Turning ourselves into Gods? Trying to find a way to circumvent life so we can just live there?
The known existence of a given deity would change the collective perspective of our "place" in reality.

It would engender a tumultuous period of great change, I'd expect. If, for example, we take the Abrahamic God as being the deity that reveals itself, then all non-Christian religious persons would be apprised to the fact that their spiritual and religious lives and traditions are all a sham. This would come as quite the blow to a huge percentage of the world's population (since the majority of all humans believe, or belong to, one religion or another).

And Christians would feel vindicated for their beliefs (naturally). The more bold among them might then use the existence of the Abrahamic God to establish a Christian Theocracy (or sue for the establishment of such a theocracy). Though if the Abrahamic God doesn't specify which branch is the True Faith, you might still see conflicts between Christians, Jews, and/or Muslims (perhaps more fervently, especially since God is within proverbial reach).

There are those who might reject the Abrahamic God's edicts and commands for whatever reason(s). They might become increasingly vilified, since Judeo-Christian theology will have been confirmed as the objective worldview.

The Abrahamic God wouldn't reveal itself ever, though, due to the faith clause. For whatever reason, God requires faith from people (i.e. trust in God's plans). The most extreme form of faith would be to believe and trust in something despite having zero tangible proof or evidence that the thing in question exists.

By revealing itself, God would invalidate the need for such faith. People would worship or not worship God (or even vilify God) based solely on self-interest, social pressures, exposure to information and argument, and so on.

Which is basically what's going on now. XP

And this applies to any kind of "deity" that may step forward. The fact that such a deity is shown to exist would tells us nothing about how we should deal with or treat said deity. You'd have to decide for yourself how to proceed in light of said deity's legitimate existence.

If the reverse was proven true? Then what would that mean for the origin of the universe. Where did it start? What are the others out there? Without a god is there still an afterlife or cycle or reincarnation? Is it possible someone can become a god in concept?
Incidentally, Jainism is an example of a non-theistic theology. The universe is eternal, having always been and ever will be, not having been created by some transcendent being. There are "gods", but these are simply "higher" beings in the wheel of reincarnation. A human could become such a higher being in a next life, and such higher beings could become something else in a next life.

So you have afterlives, reincarnation, and godhood without a Supreme Creator Deity. There's you're religious trivia for the day. :4pacman:

As for a lack of all Supreme Creator Deities, it wouldn't affect science in the least, save perhaps prompting the discarding of all supernaturalist hypotheses.

There is likely to be some manner of ontological bedrock -- a self-sustaining, self-justifying foundation which animates or supports existence. If there are no supernatural connotations to this bedrock, then it would be within the realm of naturalism, and therefore, within the realm of science. In such a case, we might well be able to discern such questions as the "origin" of our universe, the search of other universes, and other cosmic questions through use of sufficiently advanced technology.

As for "becoming" gods, it would depend on your definition of a "god". In a naturalistic context, any apotheosis would be a technological one, since technology is the tool we use to transform ourselves and our environment (and would thereby be the means by which we transcend the limits of our collective being).

You know, it'd be grand if, as part of a huge causal loop, our future humanity becomes so advanced as to become gods, and went back in time, becoming the unwitting or deliberate causers of our universe.

Interesting kinda off topic but something I thought was worth discussing if this question could be answered for proven or dis-proven.
The Question of God won't be resolved until such a time that incontrovertible evidence of the deity's existence comes to light. But indeed, speculating on the ramifications of such a revelations makes for fun imaginative exercise. :lick:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Honestly, I can't even tell who believes and who doesn't believe.

You all sound the same geez...
The beliefs or non-beliefs of those who participate in this thread isn't necessarily relevant to the thread's topic. It's about evidence of and/or for God, and not "where do you fall on the spectra of theism, gnosticism, etc.?". So I'm not sure what your observation seeks to achieve.

As for my own beliefs, thus far, I've managed to determine what I am in regards to negative belief -- an agnostic apatheist. But I'm not yet sure what I am positive-belief-wise in light of this (i.e. whether I'd be a secular humanist, or some other stance I've not yet looked much into).

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm christain, but ultimately I don't believe everything my religion and am open to the idea I am wrong.

Science should be separate from this, trying to find truth and logic is not the same as faith.

I however still hold true that being a good person is what should matter most in terms of value after death of a soul or etc. I would hold true God would be understanding of one being skeptical. It makes sense to me to be skeptical and ask questions. That is how progress is made.

Top Bottom