• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters give Rosalina trouble?

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
Any ideas? Every keeps saying she is OP but I bet there are some. Any short-lists?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
( Might get some debate here, as we haven't discussed each as a group )
- Yoshi
- ZSS
- Shiek
- Diddy

Basically, none of the top tiers are heavily in Rosalina's favor ( except Ness ), but she's beatable with any character. Oh, and I don't think she's really not OP anymore. A lot of the people saying that have been since the 3DS launch where she was overtuned a bit, and will probably keep complaining about her without looking at what changed. Post nerf, she's really quite manageable.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nobody as far as I can tell.

Diddy is actually a quite favourable match-up for her. Rosalina completely screws up his banana game and is harder to combo because of how floaty she is, not to mention that she can KO him earlier than he can her. She's also harder to grab due to Luma.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
Nobody as far as I can tell.

Diddy is actually a quite favourable match-up for her. Rosalina completely screws up his banana game and is harder to combo because of how floaty she is, not to mention that she can KO him earlier than he can her. She's also harder to grab due to Luma.
with how light she is down throw > uair kills rosa from diddy at around 80- 90%....also diddy's fair has priority over most of her moveset. he can safely poke you with it while knocking out luma too. this mu is in diddy's favor imo.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
We can have this discussion towards the ever fun Diddy week. Until then, I'm sure both of you can agree he's a good character and should be treated as such during a match.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
We can have this discussion towards the ever fun Diddy week. Until then, I'm sure both of you can agree he's a good character and should be treated as such during a match.
Diddy is fine in general and I'd say on the tier lists, higher than Rosalina. But against Rosalina in a match, Rosalina has the advantage.

Diddy can potentially KO us at 80%. We can potentially KO him at around 30%. Among many other things, like us making his bananas useless.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
We can potentially KO him at around 30%.
if you're referring to utilt shenanigans as of right now that's incredibly luck based, even uair isn't guaranteed to kill that early. all diddy has to do is grab you and it's incredibly reliable and repeatable.

diddy can easily pull a banana outside of the range of gravity pull, and there's no way you can react quick enough to an item toss with GP. even if you could read the item throw every time diddy doesn't even need to use bananas. they're just a bonus to his already amazing moveset.

also i'm seeing diddy having an easier time comboing floaty characters, and actually having a harder time comboing fast fallers.

random for glory diddys, sure, rosalina could stand her ground doing whatever. but i think her only hope vs a decent diddy is gimping him off the stage and zoning him until that can happen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Eventually we'll analyze Rosalina's match-up against Diddy Kong at this sub-forum, but until then you might have to go to Diddy Kong's sub-forum.

Anyway, even though Gravitational Pull may render most projectiles useless, some fighters can counter this by firing their projectiles and throwing their items at a range that Rosalina can't react fast enough. Even Robin's projectiles can be hard for Rosalina to counter, simply because they can execute too quickly for her to react. Likewise, R.O.B. can hold his Gyro, and it won't hinder his offensive options.

Bowser Jr.'s cannonballs and Mechakoopas, however, take quite a while to execute, giving Rosalina some time to counter them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
if you're referring to utilt shenanigans as of right now that's incredibly luck based
No, I mean U-air. It works every time. Ours is just as deadly as his.

there's no way you can react quick enough to an item toss with GP.
I do this all of the time, so clearly it isn't impossible. It's kind of what the move is built for. In this case, you even make him trip. It's actually more favourable for him to try to item toss because of that.

also i'm seeing diddy having an easier time comboing floaty characters, and actually having a harder time comboing fast fallers.
Not what I'm seeing at all. Proper use of DI and air dodging will get you out just fine, and in general, Rosalina has the defensive capabilities to deal with Diddy's offense. If you get caught by his grab to U-air, it's really your fault.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
No, I mean U-air. It works every time. Ours is just as deadly as his.

I do this all of the time, so clearly it isn't impossible. It's kind of what the move is built for. In this case, you even make him trip. It's actually more favourable for him to try to item toss because of that.

Not what I'm seeing at all. Proper use of DI and air dodging will get you out just fine, and in general, Rosalina has the defensive capabilities to deal with Diddy's offense. If you get caught by his grab to U-air, it's really your fault.
Rosalina would be the best character in the game if she could dthrow uair at kill percents as well. Thats what is being argued, not his uair alone. Yes you can DI out of this setup, but his throw comes out so fast that it gives you little time to react enough to DI properly so you avoid the uair.

A_male_platypus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Platypusaurus
I disagree, he definitely has an easier time comboing the floaty characters.

----
That aside, I would say Sheik, Yoshi, ZSS, Diddy, and Sonic.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina would be the best character in the game if she could dthrow uair at kill percents as well. Thats what is being argued, not his uair alone. Yes you can DI out of this setup, but his throw comes out so fast that it gives you little time to react enough to DI properly so you avoid the uair.
Little time is still some time. You have very little frames to execute many of the variations of Lunar Landing, for example (especially the D-air and U-air versions), but that doesn't mean you should not master them, as they are all incredibly useful (D-air version can make Luma hit your opponents from above the platforms of Battlefield, making for some really sneaky KOs - Rosalina can also put up her shield to guard against any attacks that the opponent might try to execute from below the platform, such as Diddy's U-air).

As long as there is a window of opportunity to escape from what is seemingly his most efficient set up, you can exploit it and make the rest history. Again, Rosalina has the advantage in pretty much every other way - much better recovery, harder to grab than normal opponents but also has an easier time grabbing due to Luma Boost Grabbing, can make Diddy trip over his own bananas as soon as he uses them (and Diddy attempting to item throw it is simply preventing him from using his normals), superior defensive abilities overall, etc.

Alain

Smash Cadet
Both links are terrible for me. G-Pull leaves me wide open at close ranges and his up smash / up air make it really hard for me to approach.

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
"Rosalina would be the best character in the game if she could dthrow uair at kill percents as well"

Aha, kinda agree with this ^. d-throw -> uair is semi-escapable for rosa, but this MU is still pretty annoying. Suffice it to say I have the most issues with Shiek and zss, followed by Fox and probably Lucario, though those last couple might be more personal troubles than character ones

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
( Might get some debate here, as we haven't discussed each as a group )
- Yoshi
- ZSS
- Shiek
- Diddy

Basically, none of the top tiers are heavily in Rosalina's favor ( except Ness ), but she's beatable with any character. Oh, and I don't think she's really not OP anymore. A lot of the people saying that have been since the 3DS launch where she was overtuned a bit, and will probably keep complaining about her without looking at what changed. Post nerf, she's really quite manageable.
Diddy is fine in general and I'd say on the tier lists, higher than Rosalina. But against Rosalina in a match, Rosalina has the advantage.

Diddy can potentially KO us at 80%. We can potentially KO him at around 30%. Among many other things, like us making his bananas useless.
I agree. Diddy isn't too hard, and honestly, neither is ZSS. Zero Suit is incredibly predictable, and very punishable. All of her Aerials are easily DI-able, her stuns throw you far enough away to be out of combo, her Down Air has infinitely more ending animation than Sheik or Greninja, and her mobility doesn't do much against Rosalina, for whom spacing doesn't matter as much because of Luma's extension.
Yoshi's can be difficult, but their approach game is nerfed for the same reason Diddy's is. Because the projectiles are destroyed by the combo of Down-B and Luma being a meat shield. I have to disagree with Parcheesy in that most of the top tiers ARE in Rosalina's favor, hence why she can last up their despite being so floaty and easy to combo.

A true list of what gives Rosalina is as follows

Sheik-- Her combo potential and speed make her an incredibly difficult matchup for us. Needles go so fast that we can't Grav-Pull them, so Luma either has to take it, or we get damaged and stunned. Her new bombs are also an incredible option as well, having a gravity well to them, pulling you and Luma in. From there, She has the same tools as Melee, where she was an offensive hurricane. It's terrifying and very easy to lose. Animation Lag in Rosalina's attacks make for easy punishes, and Sheik capitalizes brilliantly.

Mario-- BUT MARIO ISN'T TOP TIER! YOU LYIN' GARDENOIR. Well, no I'm not. Have you faced a really good mario yet? One who has amazing recovery, and knows the combo potential? See, in this game, Mario got a boost. Not specifically to him, but to the engine. The Game's engine really allows Mario to be fluid-- similar to Melee Marth (which, if any has tried him, is no longer any more, making him worthless.) He has both low knockback moves that were made for combos, and high knockback moves for finishing and the kicker is that they flow gently into one another. His roll is really good for spacing, and a Mario that is confident with his cape keeps him from being put in situations he doesn't want to be. I've lost a lot to a good Mario. His recovery is top notch, making him hard to kill, and he is all around a really balanced and hard to exploit character.

Yoshi-- Newfound speed is seriously a problem for this guy. He's strong and fast. He's unpredictable. Your only saving grace is that most Yoshi will try and approach by using Eggs, which Rosa can Grav pull. This WILL throw off their game, and they'll give really obvious reads to what they're doing as they try and figure out how to approach. Use this time to rack up damage. If you give a Yoshi an inch, he'll take it.

Rob-- for what Mario and Sonic Guy said.

Mega-Man. Maybe this is just me. But a good Mega Man is really hard to predict, and really hard to counter. Sure his projectiles can be Grav Pulled, but he uses it mostly to approach-- not to kill, and that is really difficult to make the choice of "do I let it hit me to stop the approach, or save the damage and hope to get out of the attack" in the heat of the moment. Mega-Man's thrive on your indecision, and though the match is technically in our favor-- it isn't by much.

That's my list. Every other character I think is pretty equal. Most characters approach with projectiles, or rely on grabbing, all of which is stopped by Luma, if not by shielding. But there is no such thing as an easy match, and it takes time to really understand every players tendencies and habits. Remember, you're playing the player, not the character. You don't beat Marth, you beat the man sitting next to you.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Does anyone have any advice for the Captain Falcon matchup? I was on For Glory today and it was the first time I have ever faced an actual competent Falcon Player who proceeded to completely destroy me.
It was the first time I had faced a Captain Falcon who was super aggressive with Dash grabs, mostly hanging back with short hops waiting for me to make some kind of move before he would dash grab in and try to gimp me with the pummel release off stage. Either that or it was a lot of dash grab > D-Throw> U-air> etc, combos.

I seemed to have a lot of trouble avoiding his grabs even when I knew they were coming (do you just have to have insanely fast reflexes? lol) and I just wasn't able to keep him from rushing me down and creating opportunities to grab me.
What can I do against Falcons who play like this? :c

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Personally, I don't have any characters I actually think are a negative match up for Rosalina.

The only ones I have a bit of trouble with are Toon Link (not regular Link, he's actually easy most of the time) and Ness, but that's on my end, not Rosalina's.

But a good Mega Man is really hard to predict
The thing about the "a good player of X character" thing is that, it's universally applicable - if a player is obviously better than you, they will have the upper hand. The player is always more important than the character, unless it's a really extreme case.

That's why I feel there is a lot of confusion and disagreement with Rosalina and who she has trouble with. There are so many different ways to play Rosalina, and it's possible that some of us develop habits that become ineffectual against some characters, or even just some players. And sometimes, we don't realise that we are the ones messing up, and not the character.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
An honest thanks for pointing out my errors Garde Noir, frankly I wrote the post kind of quickly thinking this thread would be answered within a few lines, while we had the more thorough character discussions week by week ( Definitely not a good habit to get into :/ ). You're certainly right about Rob and Megaman; frankly any character that has a relatively lagless projectile can use it in a way that limits the effectiveness of GP. In addition Rob has his up airs, which he can often get out before your down air reaches far enough to outprioritize it, and Megaman has his backair ( which I'm fairly sure will outrange fair / nair when spaced perfectly ) as well as a kit of fairly noncommittal projectiles.

Does anyone have any advice for the Captain Falcon matchup? I was on For Glory today and it was the first time I have ever faced an actual competent Falcon Player who proceeded to completely destroy me.
It was the first time I had faced a Captain Falcon who was super aggressive with Dash grabs, mostly hanging back with short hops waiting for me to make some kind of move before he would dash grab in and try to gimp me with the pummel release off stage. Either that or it was a lot of dash grab > D-Throw> U-air> etc, combos.

I seemed to have a lot of trouble avoiding his grabs even when I knew they were coming (do you just have to have insanely fast reflexes? lol) and I just wasn't able to keep him from rushing me down and creating opportunities to grab me.
To start, how are you attempting to punish dash grabs when you see them coming? I find dashing back, followed by a pivot attack where you expect him to grab to be fairly successful against dash attacks and dash grabs, but I can't really say I've had much experience with top tier falcons.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
To start, how are you attempting to punish dash grabs when you see them coming? I find dashing back, followed by a pivot attack where you expect him to grab to be fairly successful against dash attacks and dash grabs, but I can't really say I've had much experience with top tier falcons.
Well, I fought a few matches with him before he dropped out- so I tried a few different things attempting to mix up my punish. I tried dashing back with a pivot like you suggested, and it worked a couple of times until he caught onto that and would do things like fake out and run right past me, or use Falcon dive/Kick instead of trying to grab.
Sometimes I would attempt to spotdodge>jab punish but that never seemed to work, even when I anticipated his grab well in advance- he always seemed to be able to grab me before the spotdodge came out. The few times it did work, he always seemed to be able to DI out of my Jab or something and end up behind me so he could do another grab/punish while I was still in my Jab animation.

Basically I found it impossible to keep space against him because if I tried to wall him out with aerials or some kind of attack that was too quick for the grab punish, he would just Falcon Kick/Dive instead. He would stay just out of my range, constantly short hopping to keep his dash momentum and then waiting for me to whiff an aerial so he could instantly run in and punish. If I tried to go on the offensive he would just shield grab into a D-throw combo.

I'm sure there are ways around it- I suppose I just need to understand my options a little better. :urg:

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman

Captain Falcon is one of my easiest match ups. My overall win rate with Rosalina is For Glory is over 90%, but against Captain Falcon that number probably jumps to somewhere around 98%, and I see Captain Falcon all the time (seriously, he's by far the most overused character in For Glory).

If he goes for a dash grab, you should read that and stop it with a dash attack, or do a short hop Nair to a down-tilt, or just do a tilt attack, or even use the Luma Shot. There are a plethora of ways to defend against his approach.

Other things: You can easily shield grab Falcon if he uses Falcon Kick. If he uses Raptor Boost, avoid the attack (don't shield it) and then punish the end lag. Rosalina's up-tilt and up-air have priority over anything Falcon might use from above, and he's very easy for Rosalina to juggle overall. Falcon simply has nothing to stop Rosalina's spacing tools, if you use them properly there's almost nothing Falcon can do to get in on you. And the last thing... Falcon is incredibly easy for Rosalina to gimp. If Falcon is forced to recover to the stage from below, there's no reason that Rosalina's Dair shouldn't be finishing off Falcon every single time.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I think Sheik, Falcon, Sonic, ZSS, & DDD believe it or not. I have played 5 competent DDD's on wifi and have not beaten any of them once. My friend who mains Rosalina also has had similar experiences & picked up Megaman to beat him.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Captain Falcon is one of my easiest match ups. My overall win rate with Rosalina is For Glory is over 90%, but against Captain Falcon that number probably jumps to somewhere around 98%, and I see Captain Falcon all the time (seriously, he's by far the most overused character in For Glory).

If he goes for a dash grab, you should read that and stop it with a dash attack, or do a short hop Nair to a down-tilt, or just do a tilt attack, or even use the Luma Shot. There are a plethora of ways to defend against his approach.

Other things: You can easily shield grab Falcon if he uses Falcon Kick. If he uses Raptor Boost, avoid the attack (don't shield it) and then punish the end lag. Rosalina's up-tilt and up-air have priority over anything Falcon might use from above, and he's very easy for Rosalina to juggle overall. Falcon simply has nothing to stop Rosalina's spacing tools, if you use them properly there's almost nothing Falcon can do to get in on you. And the last thing... Falcon is incredibly easy for Rosalina to gimp. If Falcon is forced to recover to the stage from below, there's no reason that Rosalina's Dair shouldn't be finishing off Falcon every single time.
Thank you for the tips- I'll try to practice using these. :)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think Sheik, Falcon, Sonic, ZSS, & DDD believe it or not. I have played 5 competent DDD's on wifi and have not beaten any of them once. My friend who mains Rosalina also has had similar experiences & picked up Megaman to beat him.
DDD is way in our favour. I can understand having trouble with the others, but Dedede is extremely easy for Rosalina once you realise he struggles to get back on stage if you intercept, and that you can easily whack his Gordos back at him. Also, he's easy to get into Rosalina-Luma sandwich combos.

Also, make sure you do dodge his attacks. It's easy to do so, but failing to do so piles quite the whollop. His raw strength and his Side Tilt are the only things I find you have to really watch out for.

SciCore

Filthy Casual
Rosalina seems to have trouble with with a few things:

- Piercing or arcing projectiles (They can be negated partially by GP, but GP is unsafe at close range, and some are items that can be held).
- Strong KO moves (Which of course is good against anyone, just especially Rosalina cause she is light and floaty).
- Anything that can deal with Luma easily (such as attacks like Marths FSmash, with its long range and power).

The characters off the top of my head with all of these are Diddy, Villager and R.O.B. (Though R.O.B. has weaknesses that I feel make the matchup more even, rather than in his favor). There are also characters like Sheik that are just good in general that can cause her trouble.

That being said, I don't feel any of her matchups are that bad, at least not to the point a Rosalina player would feel cheated by playing against a certain character.

Kese

Smash Cadet
NNID
agentghost29
Hi everyone , I'm a fellow Rosalina main and this is my first time posting in a Rosalina thread, so I thought I start here. Anyway, does anyone have advice for sonics?I think this matchup should be in Rosa's favor but i felt it was hard for me to land a strike or establish some momentum because Sonic so fast and play the rushdown game quite well, When I do build some momentum, they play the hit and run game or bait me out to whiff an aerial and /or snash attack, and immediately punish me with a dash grab. Between spin charge, spin dash, and his dash grab it was difficult for me to keep up with his speed...

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hi everyone , I'm a fellow Rosalina main and this is my first time posting in a Rosalina thread, so I thought I start here. Anyway, does anyone have advice for sonics?I think this matchup should be in Rosa's favor but i felt it was hard for me to land a strike or establish some momentum because Sonic so fast and play the rushdown game quite well, When I do build some momentum, they play the hit and run game or bait me out to whiff an aerial and /or snash attack, and immediately punish me with a dash grab. Between spin charge, spin dash, and his dash grab it was difficult for me to keep up with his speed...
Yeah the matchup isn't easy, you have to play it extremely smart/patient. Don't press buttons or throw out unnecessary moves.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't have too much trouble against Sonic, but I can't really explain why. Might just be because I instinctively know how he works since he is one of my mains, and was my main all throughout the Brawl era.

One thing to note is that Luma can get targeted by his Homing Attack. Great for tricking him and following up with a Smash attack or U-air. I have gotten KOs by letting Luma get hit by Homing Attack and whacking Sonic off while he is in recoil.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
An honest thanks for pointing out my errors Garde Noir, frankly I wrote the post kind of quickly thinking this thread would be answered within a few lines, while we had the more thorough character discussions week by week ( Definitely not a good habit to get into :/ ). You're certainly right about Rob and Megaman; frankly any character that has a relatively lagless projectile can use it in a way that limits the effectiveness of GP. In addition Rob has his up airs, which he can often get out before your down air reaches far enough to outprioritize it, and Megaman has his backair ( which I'm fairly sure will outrange fair / nair when spaced perfectly ) as well as a kit of fairly noncommittal projectiles.

no problem. We're all here to learn =]
Again, I disagree on ZSS, pretty vehemently. The rest of them, it's a personal thing, but Zero Suit is easily punishable, and should be the first matchup you learn well, because learning to punish her is learning how to punish all combo characters. When I learned that matchup, I realized it's not hard at all, and I use it as my knowledge base. Her aerials beg for up-air, her up smash and down smash are easily spaceable and laggy enough for punish, her down air has a billion ending frame lags and is easy to shield. If Up B doesn't connect and you can't hit her, then you need to learn how to hit people (not saying you specifically) and if Up B connects, you should know where to DI. Luma sponges a lot of the hits Zero Suit gives, pretty well in fact, and it breaks her combos.
I don't think this is a bad matchup, but I do find it slightly in Sonics favor. You need Luma by you at all times. Luma will take some hits, and give you time to punish. Use your tilts a lot, and try not to smash unless you're SURE it'll connect. In air game, he has the advantage, which can be disorienting for Rosalina mains, but our character is about STAGE CONTROL anyways. When he's off stage, space luma a small distance away to cover all of your options, and up-tilt as he gets near you. If you hit, it's hard, if Luma hits, it's harder. plus it's quick and hard to avoid. If you miss, dodge away and call Luma back. That's the only SPECIFIC I can give you about sonic.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
no problem. We're all here to learn =]

Again, I disagree on ZSS, pretty vehemently. The rest of them, it's a personal thing, but Zero Suit is easily punishable, and should be the first matchup you learn well, because learning to punish her is learning how to punish all combo characters. When I learned that matchup, I realized it's not hard at all, and I use it as my knowledge base. Her aerials beg for up-air, her up smash and down smash are easily spaceable and laggy enough for punish, her down air has a billion ending frame lags and is easy to shield. If Up B doesn't connect and you can't hit her, then you need to learn how to hit people (not saying you specifically) and if Up B connects, you should know where to DI. Luma sponges a lot of the hits Zero Suit gives, pretty well in fact, and it breaks her combos.

I don't think this is a bad matchup, but I do find it slightly in Sonics favor. You need Luma by you at all times. Luma will take some hits, and give you time to punish. Use your tilts a lot, and try not to smash unless you're SURE it'll connect. In air game, he has the advantage, which can be disorienting for Rosalina mains, but our character is about STAGE CONTROL anyways. When he's off stage, space luma a small distance away to cover all of your options, and up-tilt as he gets near you. If you hit, it's hard, if Luma hits, it's harder. plus it's quick and hard to avoid. If you miss, dodge away and call Luma back. That's the only SPECIFIC I can give you about sonic.
Umm from the way you are talking it doesn't sound like you've played experienced ZSS mains. Why would they throw out laggy attacks out like that? I play tournament players often & ZSS is not the easiest because she can basically dance around Rosalina like Sonic in some ways. Luma just gets eaten alive by the paralyzer and Rosa gets juggled for days like the Capt. Falcon matchup. It's hard to land on ZSS too. Not complaining or johning or anything, just stating facts that we have to adapt to. It's also a player thing too, not every player uses the same tools.

Kese

Smash Cadet
NNID
agentghost29
Garde Noir Said:

I don't think this is a bad matchup, but I do find it slightly in Sonics favor. You need Luma by you at all times. Luma will take some hits, and give you time to punish. Use your tilts a lot, and try not to smash unless you're SURE it'll connect. In air game, he has the advantage, which can be disorienting for Rosalina mains, but our character is about STAGE CONTROL anyways. When he's off stage, space luma a small distance away to cover all of your options, and up-tilt as he gets near you. If you hit, it's hard, if Luma hits, it's harder. plus it's quick and hard to avoid. If you miss, dodge away and call Luma back. That's the only SPECIFIC I can give you about sonic

Yeah, Sonic just annoying to deal with due to his very good dash speed and ability to punish well.I think staying patient is the best option against Sonic and not throwing out anything as unsafe as Sonic wants to rush you down your throat and not give you a chance to establish any sort of momentum.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Umm from the way you are talking it doesn't sound like you've played experienced ZSS mains. Why would they throw out laggy attacks out like that? I play tournament players often & ZSS is not the easiest because she can basically dance around Rosalina like Sonic in some ways. Luma just gets eaten alive by the paralyzer and Rosa gets juggled for days like the Capt. Falcon matchup. It's hard to land on ZSS too. Not complaining or johning or anything, just stating facts that we have to adapt to. It's also a player thing too, not every player uses the same tools.
I've played a few good. On recovery and off of Down B jumps they like Down Air-ing. The rest of them are Zero-Suit staples. Perfect Pivoting is a great way to punish all of Zero Suits attacks consistently. I tend to hit ZSS more with Rosalina than with Luma, and with Luma away. That's when they approach, and I get my hits off. I don't think I've played as many as you, but I think I've played enough. As per juggling, I throw out Down Airs like it's Christmas. Most don't like the option to get hit, and will try and stall long enough to Air dodge and get out of there.

LumpyGravy

Smash Cadet
NNID
shigalev
I have the most trouble against Yoshi, much moreso than Diddy Kong or Sheik. I got knocked out of both of my tournaments so far by Yoshi. It's definitely at least even and more likely in Yoshi's favor. I hate that I can never punish dash attack.

Last edited:

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Been having some trouble against Villagers, note that this isn't a common match up of course but, I feel that the fair combined with lloyd rocket hits us solidly and stops Luma's approach. When I down b, he punishes with a nair or another fair.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Ive yet to face a tournamentsonic, but sonic is fast on the ground and very very slow when in the air, that can be exploited, try out some stuff to exploit that and maybe post em here if you think you found something nice :D

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Ive yet to face a tournamentsonic, but sonic is fast on the ground and very very slow when in the air, that can be exploited, try out some stuff to exploit that and maybe post em here if you think you found something nice :D
"Very, very slow in the air" is a huge exaggeration. His air speed is actually decent, and his specials allow for some great aerial mind games.

Saltix

Smash Lord
I personally believe that Yoshi is one of her biggest threats. Outside of them I have big trouble with competent Falcons, Little Macs, DDDs, Sheiks, and Robins.

ScienceCore said it best with the little tidbit on arcing projectiles IMO. Play a D3 or Yoshi that's smart about spacing and arcing Gordo/Egg tosses. It's not as simple as Gravitational Pulling them.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I personally believe that Yoshi is one of her biggest threats. Outside of them I have big trouble with competent Falcons, Little Macs, DDDs, Sheiks, and Robins.

ScienceCore said it best with the little tidbit on arcing projectiles IMO. Play a D3 or Yoshi that's smart about spacing and arcing Gordo/Egg tosses. It's not as simple as Gravitational Pulling them.
I agree on Yoshi, the more I play them, Falcons are always hard-- no one has a "good" matchup vs a good Falcon, Little Mac can be bad if you stay on the ground, or get one that really knows the platform game, but can be juked out pretty easily with a lot of Nairs. DDD, and Sheik for obvious reasons that were said by you and others (especially the DDD, because he hits like a truck).

Top Bottom