• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters give Rosalina trouble?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
dtilt will clash with fireballs so you don't always have to shield them. If theyre approaching with SH aerials as Mario you should crouch as rosalina. That's partly the reason why I mention dtilt. If you lower your hit box it becomes more difficult for Mario to approach you. If you can read his approach you can Usmash. Then theres dash away pivot ftilt which is pretty good.

With shulk you must understand his moves a little bit then you should be fine it's not as difficult as it seems. I believe his nair starts up on 13 frames and hits behind him first. So if he's using nair to attempt to wall you should be able to tell if his back his turned or not. You have more time to challenge the move with your own nair if his back isn't turned to you and you can react to it. Then you need to take into account that nothing he does is safe on shield with the except of Monado canceled aerials and aerials in buster when spaced properly. If he's doing rising nairs at you punish that crap. He's going to attempt to use the first hit of nair as pressure which means RAR approaches from him which makes his approaches easier to anticipate and deal with..

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Man...I need some help on dealing with Zero Suit Samus. I just fought quite a good one on For Glory and got absolutely wrecked. Didn't win a single match. XP

The biggest thing I had trouble with was figuring out how to deal with her Down B. (That flip jump that she can do a kick out of)
He pretty much would constantly approach me with that move, and it beat out my nair every time unless I got lucky, as well as any other aerial I tried because it craps all over Luma priority wise. The only aerial that worked to knock her out of it was Uair. Once I started using that though, he got smart to it and tried to bait out my retaliation before he would throw out the kick from her down B.

:cry: That move is so infuriatingly fast and the range on it is super deceptive. It also puts her at the perfect height it seems to go right over Luma and any attempts to wall with Jab or star bits. Often I found a boot to the face if I even attempted to use Jab or star bits to space, because he'd just bounce over it with Down B, and it comes out so fast. Not to mention she can act instantly after she lands after whiffing it which makes it impossible to punish, and if you shield it she just bounces off your shield safely out of punishing range.

He would literally just Zone me out with a couple of shots from the Paralyzer which either stuns Luma or puts me in cool down if I Use G-Pull, and then bounce in with Down B which could hit me in the cool down time, unless I got snagged by a grab which he sometimes did. I pretty much had no ability to Zone him whatsoever.

Does anyone have any tips on Rosalina's best options against a ZSS? :sadeyes:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Pikachu is currently being analyzed, but its discussion period has been very empty right now. If Pikachu truly is a menace to Rosalina, now's the time to discuss about it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll go into that during the summer when the second round of Sheik's match up discussion rolls around, hopefully.
Just keep note that we will split up the scoring between default only, and customs allowed, for the round 2 discussions. And just so that everyone knows in advance, default only simply means that Rosalina and her opponent are only allowed to use their default special moves; 1111.

frcShoryuken

Smash Cadet
What does Sheik do that gives you guys trouble? I play as Sheik and can't seem to do anything to my friend who just switched to Rosalina. Luma or Gravity absorbs needles, I hesitate to do grabs since I always get knocked out of my follow up by Luma, I get knocked out of Bouncing Fish quite a bit by... something (not familiar with Rosa's attacks), Rosa's hitboxes on her aerials are ridonk and seem to beat me out all the time... I can't seem to find anything reliable

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What does Sheik do that gives you guys trouble? I play as Sheik and can't seem to do anything to my friend who just switched to Rosalina. Luma or Gravity absorbs needles, I hesitate to do grabs since I always get knocked out of my follow up by Luma, I get knocked out of Bouncing Fish quite a bit by... something (not familiar with Rosa's attacks), Rosa's hitboxes on her aerials are ridonk and seem to beat me out all the time... I can't seem to find anything reliable
A lot of Rosalina mains are defensive, which means they inherently struggle against fast, combo oriented characters like Sheik.

It isn't so much reflective of Rosalina as a whole though, so much as it is a Rosalina dictated by a defensive playstyle.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I remember fighting a Shiek a long time ago that kept dash attacking into my Luma whenever it spawned just to knock it off stage as though that was his priority and it was pretty annoying. (Yeah, I know that's what everyone should do to a Rosalina player) Though I still won that battle that time I remember. I haven't fought that many Shiek's as Rosalina, but if they are pretty good, that's something to worry about. Like if they manage to keep me stuck in a forward air combo making it difficult to escape.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
:4mario::4villager::4falcon::4sonic::4yoshi::4zss::4megaman::4sheik::4rob:

I think that might be it. Fox maybe but not sure about that matchup.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Matchup vs. Lucina thoughts anyone? I have a lot of trouble beating you guys if i cant separate the luma from rosalina the only thing that seems to fork well is gimping and shield breaker becuase either way itl do damage to you or luma and its a strait linear attack. just wondering what rosalina mains thought of that matchup.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Matchup vs. Lucina thoughts anyone? I have a lot of trouble beating you guys if i cant separate the luma from rosalina the only thing that seems to fork well is gimping and shield breaker becuase either way itl do damage to you or luma and its a strait linear attack. just wondering what rosalina mains thought of that matchup.
We did briefly analyze Lucina a couple weeks back, and there really isn't a huge difference between Marth and Lucina when it comes to fighting against Rosalina. Of course, we will reanalyze Lucina at a later date, but with some big changes to the rules.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
I'm very surprised to see ROB on the list of characters people think give Rosa Trouble.
ROB's large size and low mobility make it very easy to wall out ROB and punish his approaches.
If you're slow, are tall enough to get hit by the Initial Luma hit of SH Nair and get combo'd by Luma multijab at higher percentages I think the matchup is quite easy.
Facing a ROB you've never faced before you should focus on keeping your distance and absorbing every Laser and absorbing every gyro. For Gyro's however just tap absorb for as little time as possible. Opponents may not realize that the gyro is under your control and will run into it. Also keeping it in between you and ROB (compared to sucking it all the way in towards you) will make ROB want to jump and ROB above you is totally susceptible to being Up-Aired.

I actually find myself losing in tournaments to Kirby. Which probably has a lot to do with the Kirby's in my region being pretty great. But also Kirby has the speedy frame data of like a Mario or a falcon coupled with lots of jumps. So unlike a falcon who has to dash right in Kirby can be less concerned with the Luma in between him and Rosa and approach from above safely.
Also multi-hitting moves like Dair and Fair are good at separating the two.

Lange

Smash Journeyman
To add to this I think Ness is one character that many people write off a lot more than they should. I don't think its accurate at all to say the matchup is that heavily in Rosalinas favor as many say. Yes the big factor in this thinking is that she can gimp his recovery but so can other characters, she can just do it most effectively. In many matches a smart Ness and many scenarios where he is recovering make getting a gimp hard to do or very situational. Its not like its such a easy and frequent thing to just say shes totally dominant in that regard.

Recovery gimp aside Ness has a lot of options to get through alot of her strengths. PK fire grabs, PK fire the luma, insane combo strings and the nature of many of his attacks seem to make it where walling with the luma isn't as effective as other characters. Her light weight makes it so the all mighty Ness backthrow kills by the edge depending on the stage at around 100% which is very frustrating. Seems he can kill you easier than you him. Anyone else think many people might have the wrong idea about the Ness matchup?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
The Ness vs Rosalina match up is not any better than 40:60.

A good Ness will hardly be gimped by gravity pull.

The problem Ness has in this match up is that rosalina's hitboxes makes Ness have a hard time in neutral, but other than that Rosalina doesn't have any super strong tool that shuts Ness down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom