• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters give Rosalina trouble?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd honestly be able to catch Thoron easily if it weren't for input lag online. Most Robin players telegraph Thoron to the max (and the start-up animation is pretty easy to read).

Other than that, I find Robin pretty easy to read.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Yeah, I don't find a problem with Robin at all. Rosalina handles Arcfire really well by either dash attacking under it, or flipping over it with a neutral air. Robin also lacks a useful sexkick neutral air, so Luma attacks don't often get outprioritized in the air. Oh, and his recovery is probably one of the easiest to spike ( he's forced to recover low, and his recovery doesn't hit above him ). What exactly about Robin gives you trouble?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Like I've said already, the speed of Robin's projectiles can catch Rosalina off-guard, as Thoron can execute too quickly for Rosalina to counter. You really need to have good timing with Gravitational Pull if you want to use Thoron against Robin.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Like I've said already, the speed of Robin's projectiles can catch Rosalina off-guard, as Thoron can execute too quickly for Rosalina to counter. You really need to have good timing with Gravitational Pull if you want to use Thoron against Robin.
It's a really telegraphed move though (Robin does a big spin before using it). Offline, I have no problem countering Thoron with GP. It's a little difficult online though. For some reason, every time I fight a Robin in With Anyone mode, they always have a subpar connection.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I have no trouble with Robin. I even played had a game against Nairo's Robin, and got him to 100% damage on his last stock. So if I can almost beat Nairo's Robin (considered one of the best Smashers around... against someone who has been Smashing since the 3DS release), I don't think good Rosas are generally going to have much trouble with Robin.

Nair destroys Robin. Robin's projectiles are generally pretty telegraphed, and they all stay on a straight line, so you can simply short hop over Robin's projectiles and Nair 'em to oblivion. Robin is also really slow, so he has a hard time penetrating the Luma wall. He pretty much has to play defensively against Rosa. Characters which lack a good hyper offensive game generally struggle against Rosa.

Last edited:

Zoremn

Smash Rookie
Hey everybody, I'm having a difficult time beating Pikachu with Rosalina, and I'll briefly explain why and hope there's some advice out there.

1. Pikachu's thunderbolt comes swiftly, and because the lagtime is minimal when used midair, he's usually able to follow me quickly and attack my while I use gravitational pull. Should I simply shield through thunderbolt or is there a better solution for this?

2. He punishes harder than most characters. Down-phase into down-smash is ridiculous if I get caught, but if I'm too cautious when I approach then he can quickly determine where I'm going and react. Often I'll try to approach using lunar-landing or neutral air to avoid lagtime and have luma protect me, but down-phase into down-smash is still able to hit me if he initiates it quickly enough.

3. I can't DI his stupid up-throw into thunder combo. Every time I try to DI out of the thunder, Rosalina's enormous frame gets caught. Is there any solution for this?

**The pikachu player is somebody who I've known a while and is extremely good.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Yeah...Pikachu is a rough matchup for sure. His multihit aerials all outprioritize everything Luma has, his low frame makes Rosa's air to ground game unreliable, her smashes and jab will occasionally just whiff, and he certainly has the strong KO power to take stocks from Rosalina before 100%. It might not be the best advice out there ( I'm still looking to improve at the matchup myself ) is to take him to a stage with platforms, and attempt to keep the fight on them. Fighting great Pikachus on FD like stages is incredibly stressful.

( I think the DI for up throw is away from Pikachu, although I think sometimes you just get hit regardless of DI. Hopefully someone better versed in the characters will give you a confirmed answer )

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Hey everybody, I'm having a difficult time beating Pikachu with Rosalina, and I'll briefly explain why and hope there's some advice out there.

1. Pikachu's thunderbolt comes swiftly, and because the lagtime is minimal when used midair, he's usually able to follow me quickly and attack my while I use gravitational pull. Should I simply shield through thunderbolt or is there a better solution for this?

2. He punishes harder than most characters. Down-phase into down-smash is ridiculous if I get caught, but if I'm too cautious when I approach then he can quickly determine where I'm going and react. Often I'll try to approach using lunar-landing or neutral air to avoid lagtime and have luma protect me, but down-phase into down-smash is still able to hit me if he initiates it quickly enough.

3. I can't DI his stupid up-throw into thunder combo. Every time I try to DI out of the thunder, Rosalina's enormous frame gets caught. Is there any solution for this?

**The pikachu player is somebody who I've known a while and is extremely good.
I think you just hold left or right....Thunder is a projectile so it's possible to gravity pull it. In brawl dsmash could be di'd out of by holding up if i remember correctly idk if that holds true. I just let luma eat the tjolt. Fair and nair should eat it also (I'm not 100% sure).

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Does anyone know how to deal with Sonic. Most of his attacks are fast enough so that they hit us while we're still in start-up lag. And his aerials somehow always beat mine. There simply isn't any way for me to go on the offensive. Any advice?

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how to deal with Sonic. Most of his attacks are fast enough so that they hit us while we're still in start-up lag. And his aerials somehow always beat mine. There simply isn't any way for me to go on the offensive. Any advice?
Sonic is a tricky character. He's really good at coming in to us, and has amazing approach and combo options. He's difficult to anticipate and infinitely faster. Luma is essential in this match-up.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Try retreating pivot grabs and dtilt or ftilt to get good spacing. Random star bits can disrupt his approach. He can be juggled so get him in the air. Bait his down air and punish.

Be patient. Rosalina should not go on the offensive too much, she should be controlling this match. Jabs are also your friend.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Right now it's mostly just Diddy for me : / . Top diddy players make the MU seem pretty uphill. She gets juggled really easily and diddy's priority often prevents luma from interfering

vanstrummer

Smash Rookie
I've only just recently picked up Rosalina but in the 2 tournaments I've been in I've been eliminated by Jigglypuff x2 and Luigi x2. Those are by far the worst match ups I've played. Everything we seem to do in the air they just flat out do better. Any advice?

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I've only just recently picked up Rosalina but in the 2 tournaments I've been in I've been eliminated by Jigglypuff x2 and Luigi x2. Those are by far the worst match ups I've played. Everything we seem to do in the air they just flat out do better. Any advice?
Jiggs can be annoying, but Luigi: just learn the matchup, and get used to what they'd tend to use. Unfortunately my friend, that's less the characters, and more the opponent.

Niner

Smash Cadet
Anybody got advice for a Yoshi matchup? He's the only character I have a hard time beating with anyone, but being a Rosa main I come closest to winning with her, but never do.
The guy I can't beat has really good spacing with Egg Toss and I can't approach, even with Gravitational Pull. He's in our top 10 state ranking and best in my town with me in second.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Anybody got advice for a Yoshi matchup? He's the only character I have a hard time beating with anyone, but being a Rosa main I come closest to winning with her, but never do.
The guy I can't beat has really good spacing with Egg Toss and I can't approach, even with Gravitational Pull. He's in our top 10 state ranking and best in my town with me in second.
This is a really difficult match up for Rosalina, even if he wasn't top 10. Platforms are your friend in this match up, so try to ban stages with few. Your best bet for killing Yoshi will be off the top of the screen, so don't stale your up smash. If you do send him horizontal, you can try sending Luma out quickly. Most Yoshis try to recover high, so they don't like air dodging as that can force them low. It then gives you the ability to cover the ledge, since Luma forced them to air dodge. Or maybe you get lucky with Luma. Also, if you grab Yoshi while he is suspended over the edge, grab release him and watch him fall to his death. Difficult to pull off, but satisfying nonetheless. Yoshi can be juggled, so try and get him in the air, but watch for his down special. Try and bait it out and punish.

Sorry this probably isn't much help.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This MU is actually solidly in Rosalina's favour, though a lot of Rosalina players have trouble with it at first.

If he's Egg Tossing you on the ground, just roll away. Yoshi has to move or jump to change where the Egg Toss starts from, which leaves an opening and throws the toss game off.

Don't really know what else to tell you unless you can specify other areas where you have trouble, Yoshi just isn't really trouble for me unless it's a bad online game. Might be because he's actually one of my mains and I know what gives me trouble as Yoshi, so when fighting other Yoshi players, I try to force them into those positions.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
This MU is actually solidly in Rosalina's favour, though a lot of Rosalina players have trouble with it at first.

If he's Egg Tossing you on the ground, just roll away. Yoshi has to move or jump to change where the Egg Toss starts from, which leaves an opening and throws the toss game off.

Don't really know what else to tell you unless you can specify other areas where you have trouble, Yoshi just isn't really trouble for me unless it's a bad online game. Might be because he's actually one of my mains and I know what gives me trouble as Yoshi, so when fighting other Yoshi players, I try to force them into those positions.
This is something that ALL players, Rosalina or otherwise should do. Pick up the character you have trouble with. Learn some basics, because at some point your opponent did that, and they may follow the same path you did. That's how I learned the Shulk match-up, and ended up picking him up as a really solid secondary

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is something that ALL players, Rosalina or otherwise should do. Pick up the character you have trouble with. Learn some basics, because at some point your opponent did that, and they may follow the same path you did. That's how I learned the Shulk match-up, and ended up picking him up as a really solid secondary
I didn't pick up Yoshi specifically to get good at countering him with Rosalina (I just really like Yoshi in general and he feels so good to play as in this game), but that is still sound advice. Even when everyone else claims something like "OMG SONIC MU IS SO STUPID FOR ROSA", I end up highly disagreeing, as Sonic is my second most used character and I know how to deal with him as much as I know how to play as him.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

I disagree that this match is in Rosalina's favor. So does the MU Analysis thread too. The consensus is that Yoshi has a moderate advantage over Rosalina, and I tend to agree with this.

Its not impossible, or even implausible, but the fact is that Rosalina has to be really careful in this MU. A good F-Smash can kill Rosa from mid-stage at around 100%. His Up-Air is great for kills and his down air can take care of Luma, and lasts forever.
You have to be patient with Yoshi, but do so in an aggressive manner, if that makes sense.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I disagree that this match is in Rosalina's favor. So does the MU Analysis thread too. The consensus is that Yoshi has a moderate advantage over Rosalina, and I tend to agree with this.

Its not impossible, or even implausible, but the fact is that Rosalina has to be really careful in this MU. A good F-Smash can kill Rosa from mid-stage at around 100%. His Up-Air is great for kills and his down air can take care of Luma, and lasts forever.
You have to be patient with Yoshi, but do so in an aggressive manner, if that makes sense.
MU Analysis thread is FAR from an end-all, be-all source right now, as not much of it is based on objectivity, and just mere personal experience, as it stands. Don't cite it at as a source when discussing Rosalina MUs.

If you re-check the thread, even Dabuz believes the MU is 65:35 in Rosalina's favour, and he has a much more DEFENSIVE playstyle than most Rosalina mains.

Yoshi's F-Smash is also INCREDIBLY difficult to land under normal circumtances (U-Smash is far better, much snappier and still quite powerful, with a longer lasting attack), so it being able to KO early isn't that much of an issue. Rosalina's own F-Smash when Luma is around, is a far bigger threat to Yoshi than his is to Rosalina - it can KO him early with ease, build up far more damage in the process, is quicker, and has far better range. Our Up Smash is also better, as it gives us partial invincibility. You would not believe the amount of times I have KO'd Yoshi players because of my Up-Smash going straight through his D-air.

Not to mention OUR JAB can KO him, while his jab is used as an odd combo linker at most (something that won't even work as well with Rosalina, because she's floaty).

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
MU Analysis thread is FAR from an end-all, be-all source right now, as not much of it is based on objectivity, and just mere personal experience, as it stands. Don't cite it at as a source when discussing Rosalina MUs.

If you re-check the thread, even Dabuz believes the MU is 65:35 in Rosalina's favour, and he has a much more DEFENSIVE playstyle than most Rosalina mains.

Yoshi's F-Smash is also INCREDIBLY difficult to land under normal circumtances (U-Smash is far better, much snappier and still quite powerful, with a longer lasting attack), so it being able to KO early isn't that much of an issue. Rosalina's own F-Smash when Luma is around, is a far bigger threat to Yoshi than his is to Rosalina - it can KO him early with ease, build up far more damage in the process, is quicker, and has far better range. Our Up Smash is also better, as it gives us partial invincibility. You would not believe the amount of times I have KO'd Yoshi players because of my Up-Smash going straight through his D-air.

Not to mention OUR JAB can KO him, while his jab is used as an odd combo linker at most (something that won't even work as well with Rosalina, because she's floaty).
I agree that the MU thread isn't the be all end all, but you make your statements as if they are facts. It is better to rely on several people's personal experience, then one person coming in here and stating it as fact that Rosalina has the advantage. I can, and most certainly will cite it as a source, because as it stands, that's all we have. Unless you have some data mining you've done that you can empirically prove Rosalina has the upperhand, then all I can do is rely on the MU thread.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I agree that the MU thread isn't the be all end all, but you make your statements as if they are facts. It is better to rely on several people's personal experience, then one person coming in here and stating it as fact that Rosalina has the advantage. I can, and most certainly will cite it as a source, because as it stands, that's all we have. Unless you have some data mining you've done that you can empirically prove Rosalina has the upperhand, then all I can do is rely on the MU thread.
You don't need to data mine to check the facts I've posted.

For example:

Go to training mode.

Pick Rosalina and Yoshi.

Set the damage to something really high.

Get a friend to take control of Yoshi, and have him D-air towards her from the front or above.

Make Rosalina U-Smash as Yoshi and his D-air draw near.

Yoshi go bye-bye. Every time. Ergo, it is a fact that Rosalina's U-Smash counters Yoshi's D-air, and at high percents, will obviously KO him (especially if Luma is around to make his follow up). This is because Rosalina's Up Smash has partial invincibility, much like Mario's.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You don't need to data mine to check the facts I've posted.

For example:

Go to training mode.

Pick Rosalina and Yoshi.

Set the damage to something really high.

Get a friend to take control of Yoshi, and have him D-air towards her from the front or above.

Make Rosalina U-Smash as Yoshi and his D-air draw near.

Yoshi go bye-bye. Every time. Ergo, it is a fact that Rosalina's U-Smash counters Yoshi's D-air, and at high percents, will obviously KO him (especially if Luma is around to make his follow up). This is because Rosalina's Up Smash has partial invincibility, much like Mario's.
My apologies if you thought I was asking for proof in regard to the Rosa's USmash vs Yoshi's Dair. I was more asking about the data mining for the entire match up.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My apologies if you thought I was asking for proof in regard to the Rosa's USmash vs Yoshi's Dair. I was more asking about the data mining for the entire match up.
You said that the facts I stated were just my personal opinions because I did not data mine. But I'm showing you how we don't need to data mine to see that something is the case. Data mining does not prove that something is the case. It merely gives you the exact data on why it is the case.

I just used the Yoshi D-air VS Rosalina Up Smash as an example of my point.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You said that the facts I stated were just my personal opinions because I did not data mine. But I'm showing you how we don't need to data mine to see that something is the case. Data mining does not prove that something is the case. It merely gives you the exact data on why it is the case.

I just used the Yoshi D-air VS Rosalina Up Smash as an example of my point.
You were stating as fact that Rosalina is a clear advantage over Yoshi:
sonicbrawler182 said:
This MU is actually solidly in Rosalina's favour.
This was the fact I was referring too. Not the match up specifics. Since you do not have empirical evidence that says this, then this is not fact. It is merely opinion.
So when I have to choose the person or persons that I am going to believe when it comes to a Rosalina MU, then it should be obvious that I will choose the MU thread over your "opinion". But thanks anyways.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You were stating as fact that Rosalina is a clear advantage over Yoshi:

This was the fact I was referring too. Not the match up specifics. Since you do not have empirical evidence that says this, then this is not fact. It is merely opinion.
So when I have to choose the person or persons that I am going to believe when it comes to a Rosalina MU, then it should be obvious that I will choose the MU thread over your "opinion". But thanks anyways.
Well the only two points you yourself gave in favour of Yoshi have already been countered and proven wrong with facts, and you haven't really done anything to prove otherwise.

So I think I made a solid start in showing how it is based on facts.

It doesn't really make a difference to me if you interpret my statement as a fact, or an opinion based on facts. At the end of the day, Yoshi has a lot of trouble against a Rosalina player as long as she isn't a one trick pony, and understands paradigms.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
Anyone else having difficulty with the Yoshi matchup?
I never fought a competent Yoshi player before and it really threw me off big time shutting down a lot of my general tactics and also shut off my defensive options.
Many of Rosey's jabs combos seems to be shut down due to Yoshi's Nair
That egg toss. An arc projectile that goes through Rosalina meat shield. The Yoshi player did not use it as an approach option, but more as a camping tool for pressure. Gravitational pull was just ready to be used simply so Yoshi could invade my comfort zone with quick movement.
Rosalina with floaty physics and Yoshi with superior air game, I just found no time where I could get momentum started.

I later looked online to see that it was just average in match ups favorable on both ends. Maybe It's just that type where I have to be reeeeealy patient and space the Yoshi enough for Gravitational Pull and punish approaches? Or maybe I'm just looking too deep into this and it's actually a lot easier then I think

I could definitely use some advice for that one

Ah, I just realized that the discussion was just going over this. Nevermind what I asked, I'll read through it and practice up a bit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Sheik, Diddy, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, Olimar.

Pretty much anyone that can move fast, attack fast, and get in and get out quickly, or that can dash attack kill Luma.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Rosalina is light. Moreover, she is a floaty, big target.

Do you know who likes to knee floaty, big targets in the face and watch'em fly?

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
So for Rosie & Luma mains, I have a couple of questions.

How do you guys deal with fighters that like to short hop, neutral air or back air? (Shulks, Marths, Mario, Ike). In other words, they seem to create this back and forth type of movement that seems very hard punish. I've tried to hit them out of it with a well timed Usmash, however, sometimes in a split second they manage to shield on landing and punish right afterwards. I've also tried a well timed Fsmash (upper angled), but sometimes lag makes my accuracy drop a bit.

The only character that gives me a hard time is Mario; he pretty much comes in with fireballs, trying to bait out my GP, and it's very difficult to challenge him in the air with his own air moves. It's very frustrating to fight a Mario that goes in with airs (and fireballs), immediately blocks on landing, and punishes. I want to call shenanigans because no character can move that fast!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

How do you guys deal with fighters that like to short hop, neutral air or back air? (Shulks, Marths, Mario, Ike). In other words, they seem to create this back and forth type of movement that seems very hard punish. I've tried to hit them out of it with a well timed Usmash, however, sometimes in a split second they manage to shield on landing and punish right afterwards. I've also tried a well timed Fsmash (upper angled), but sometimes lag makes my accuracy drop a bit.

The only character that gives me a hard time is Mario; he pretty much comes in with fireballs, trying to bait out my GP, and it's very difficult to challenge him in the air with his own air moves. It's very frustrating to fight a Mario that goes in with airs (and fireballs), immediately blocks on landing, and punishes. I want to call shenanigans because no character can move that fast!
With Mario and Marth, you can out range them with your own aerials so honestly you can just run in and hit them yourself, especially with Mario. You can also catch Shulk and Ike before they can actually get past the startup for some of their aerials, though it's a bit more risky.

With player like that though, having good control over Luma dominates them, as they will be so focused on you, Luma can slip by and hit them.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
With Mario and Marth, you can out range them with your own aerials so honestly you can just run in and hit them yourself, especially with Mario. You can also catch Shulk and Ike before they can actually get past the startup for some of their aerials, though it's a bit more risky.

With player like that though, having good control over Luma dominates them, as they will be so focused on you, Luma can slip by and hit them.
Easier said that done haha! Maybe I'm still too slow and too cautious about it. I'll work on my Luma control. Thanks!

KingJames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KingJames95
3DS FC
4270-1781-8413
Dededed, diddy and sonic are my mains. I am looking for really good rosa to train with. If interested my Skype danijam95 Nnid KingJames95.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694

As far as handling the Shulk Nairplane, Sonicbrawler hit the nail on the head; this is a matchup where playing two separate characters is a godsend. As far as I can remember, his nair doesn't send Luma into tumble until higher Luma percents, so you're generally free to punish Shulk if he ever commits to attacking the separate star ball. Aside from that, you can outmaneuver him by dash attacking the Luma under him when he jumps, leaving Shulk right where you want him ( between the two ). It's not entirely lagless either, you can certainly dash attack / grab him after he lands, before he throws out another hitbox, and you can shield grab him if he ever overshoots it and lands too close to you. Same goes for the other sword users you mentioned, keeping a separate entity available as damage control against their disjoints is actually the safer way to play it.

Mario's a bit different, as he has the option to safely pelt Luma if you leave it untethered. Generally, you should avoid relying on Rosa's gravity against projectiles that characters can throw while approaching, as those characters tend to be able to punish the end lag on it. For Mario in particular, you're almost always better off perfect shielding the fireball approaches, and then cover his options from there. Personally, I like to take a more aggressive approach to it, and challenge him air to air whenever given the option. His aerials are combo machines, but this is a matchup where you can very easily lean back and rely on Rosalina's sweet galaxy disjoints to keep you safe ( Fair should absorb fireballs, and knock him out of any aerial he tries to approach you with from the front ). However, beware Mario's grounded anti-airs, as the invincibility on his upsmash is a strong deterrent from playing the entire match airborne.

Top Bottom