• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What character did you first ever main?

Mac01

Smash Rookie
My first ever main was in Brawl and it was... :metaknight:Meta Knight(I thought I was so good)... and in Smash 4 :4drmario:Dr. Mario because of the power he brings, but in the end his recovery was to bad for me.

Last edited:

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
Third, that quote. That quote really, really reinspired me to keep on going. If anything, this is for him. It's something to push for. I'm considered in my small group of friends and the many, many different people I met in tourneys to be an absolutely devastating Lucina player. This was before her buffs, but I'm only speaking out of my big ol' mayor top hat. Lucina is my favorite Smash character of All Time.
Preach it, friend.

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Melee - Roy because I thought Marth was a girl when I was a kid and he had the FIYUR

Brawl - Meta Knight because I watched a ton of of the Kirby anime. Plus I legitimately loved the character and didn't know he was busted as a kid

Smash 4 - Marth because Roy wasn't initially in the game

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
When I was a kid I would always use :link64: in Smash 64. I would later use :younglinkmelee: constantly in Melee as a result. I also liked to use :drmario:, because the black costume made the younger me think he was a ninja.

Once Brawl came out I started playing as :wario:,:toonlink:, and :lucas:. I had fun using all of these characters, but when it came down to actually using them well, I was best with Wario and not that good with the other two (all I really did with Toon Link and Lucas was d-air and PK-thunder respectively).

Once Sm4sh came, I kept :4wario:, picked up :4drmario: again, and sort of forgot about :4tlink: and :4lucas:.

So while I usually used the Link line, I think my first true main would be :4wario2:.

Last edited:

moeltA

Smash Rookie
:mario64: because back in those days I did not bother to play other games from other Nintendo franchises

SageX3

Smash Cadet
Falco. He was the character that introduced me to Smash. Because I went over a friend's house for the first time and he told me about Smash. So I looked it up and found a Melee Falco guide. I instantly fell in love with Falco. I've mained him in every game but 64, for obvious reasons l.

D

Deleted member

:icsmelee: in Melee. Mained them for several years on until I made the switch to :sheikmelee:.
:sonic: and :ike: in Brawl. :4littlemac:in Smash 4.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
64: Probably Kirby or Pikachu. I played Kirby the most, anyway. Spammed down-B like a pro.

Melee: I was so hyped for Melee after watching various trailers, and I thought Mewtwo looked really fun. I don't remember which characters I played in the beginning, but I pretty soon ended up playing Ganondorf the most (kind of maining him). My second most played was probably Jigglypuff, partly because I wanted to show people that she wasn't the worst character in the game.

Brawl: Meta Knight was my first main. I switched to Kirby a few years later since I thought Meta Knight was too strong. I played a fairly good mix of characters though.

Smash 4: I have a really solid mix of characters played, so I'm not sure how much you can say I really "main" anyone, although in a tournament setting I'd go with Ness. Still, I'd play most/all characters for casual gameplay.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
64: Don't have a main, but if I had to choose, probably :falcon64:.
Melee: Don't have a main or a community to play with, but once again, it would probably be some combo of :ganondorfmelee: and a high tier.
Brawl: :snake:, the one character I wish I could've played more.
PM: :snake:, I just wish I had easier access to a community and netplay.
Smash 4: :4littlemac: if you don't could the Demo, :4villager: if you do. I was going to play DHD, but I dropped that quickly after my friends started countering the can.

Elray

Smash Rookie
My first main was playing Pit in Brawl simply because of his heavenly recovery (pun intended) and cause I loved that his bow could transform into swords.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
In Smash 64, I mained :falcon64: because kid me thought that the Overpowered Falcon Punch was the coolest thing ever.

In Melee, I mained :younglinkmelee: because I was going through a phase where I was addicted to Majora's Mask.

In Brawl, I mained three characters. :lucario::ike::pit: I tried picking up Sonic due to me going through a phase with me being obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog games, but never did as good with him as I did with the aforementioned three.

In Smash WiiU, I tried maining :4greninja: but that didn't work out. I ended up picking up :4littlemac: and never looked back. :4robinm:Is my pocket main for doubles if my partner is a close-ranged fighter.

BlueLuxning

Smash Rookie
NNID
thundergiant206
3DS FC
4682-8633-8400
I actually didn't start playing competitively till Brawl came out, where I played :sonic: because I just loved his games •<•​

I then realized my mistake and picked up :diddy: instead

When I started playing Melee, I immediately picked up :falconmelee: because HAX! Now I dual main him with :marthmelee: because Mew2King

And in Sm4sh I had a real main crisis, oh boy. Started with Falcon, then Fox to Sonic to Ness to Ike to R.O.B before finally :4cloud: was released and I settled down. Now I play him and :4corrinf:.

Last edited:

10numel

Smash Rookie
NNID
bazinga29
3DS FC
2423-3567-9101
First character I ever played was Brawl:bowser2: at a GameStop. My first main as a casual player was :pt: because I swore he was Ash. First competitive main was:zerosuitsamus: after watching Salem vs M2K . My first Sm4sh main was :4littlemac:cause I was stupid and spammed smash and dash attacks. First PM main was :marth: because of PP, M2K, and Ken in melee. I never owned melee so that's the closest I could get.

Gusforce

Smash Rookie
Shulk, That trailer was Amazing and I liked the character gameplay, Monado arts is an amazing concept
I played your game for a long time also, Best action RPG I played
Today I come en conflict Cloud or Shulk as Principal, but it is even Shulk

noni

Smash Cadet
i started Fox in 64/melee/brawl then switch with Meta knight snake then on smash4 Lucario Meta knight ryu cloud and Lady Corrin

Supahsawnik99

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperSawnik99
The only reason I got into Smash Bros. was because when I was looking for a new Sonic game to play, Super Smash Bros. Brawl came up in a list of games with Sonic in it. I then became rather intrigued. Then, I became obsessive. And now, Sonic is one of my mains in both Brawl and Sm4sh, and, lead to the inspiration for my username. :p I know, I'm a Sonic nerd. XD

eagle_master

Smash Cadet
NNID
roustik
3DS FC
2852-7293-3760
When I played the 64 version, I mostly main the whole cast beside Falcon but when Melee came out, :peachmelee: was my main

StR!p

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlayerTwix
3DS FC
4871-3864-3022
64: :fox64: (By the way, the first I mained in my life)
Melee: :falcomelee:/:marthmelee:
Brawl: :falco:/:marth:
Sm4sh: :4sheik:/:4zss:

Caitnip

Smash Rookie
NNID
Caitnip
3DS FC
3153-4421-1098
In Melee my first main was :marthmelee:, in Brawl it was :marth:too, in Smash 3DS it was :4peach: and in Smash Wii U it was :4fox:.

Mugifi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mugifi
3DS FC
0216-0792-4194
I've always been a :yoshi64: main since the beginning. I'm still playing :yoshi64::yoshimelee: :yoshi2::4yoshi: in one way or another. :yoshi:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
My first main was :kirbymelee:, lol. Melee was the first video game I ever played, and I was like 7 at the time? Kirby was just the first one that caught my eye, and I liked him, so I technically mained him first, leading to my video game playing lifetime, so in that respect, thank you Melee Kirby, lol.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
My very first mains of each game are:

:yoshi64:
:zeldamelee::sheikmelee:
:ivysaur:
:4robinf: (but this wasn't long before I realized I prefer :4greninja:. Not that I've stuck with either of them)

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
64 was kirby although i never got into this remotely competive.
melee was link when i was a noob then eventually it became peach and shiek.
brawl was straight up Pikachu with a touch of pit on the side i sometimes busted out MK for ICs oilmar or MK dittos (they were fun to play even if i didnt really mind the pika MK MU much)
Smash 4 while id say i probably main pika i branched out and learned more chars in this game for sure.

HCG OI | BranFlakes

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheShadowGamer
In Smash 64, I first started maining :luigi64: because I've always liked Luigi in the Super Mario franchise. But now I main :jigglypuff64: and :falcon64:. In Melee, I first mained :kirbymelee:. I still do play him competitively, but he's not my main anymore. I play almost every character in Melee competively, but now my true mains are :marthmelee: and :gawmelee:. In Brawl, my first main was :sonic:, but now I only play :kirby2: and :diddy:. In Smash 4, I first mained :4littlemac: because I thought he was OP, but then I switched over to :4sheik:. After the DLC and the patches came, I mained :4feroy:, :4ryu:, and :4cloud2:.

LiquidMotion

Smash Rookie
I started with playing all sorts of characters when I got Melee. I liked :luigimelee: because he was always one of my preferred characters from Nintendo games. I played characters like C.Falcon, Marth, and sometimes Pikachu as well, but the closest thing I had to a main back then may have been :gawmelee:. My friend, who loved to play Zelda, often chose to switch off of her, because he could no longer spam the side-B fireball (because of my bucket).
After recently getting into competitive Melee, I have been playing as :luigimelee:

My love for both :gw: and :luigi2: was reinforced in Brawl, but I also started playing :lucario: a lot. However, my true first main was :olimar: because he seemed so bad at first and I wanted to prove that I could beat my brother and friends with even this terrible character. Obviously, I realized he wasn't so terrible if you knew how to use him.
I never have played competitive Brawl, because by the time I really discovered the competitive Smash community, Smash 4 was big.

In Smash 4, I defaulted to :4gaw: and :4olimar: because I didn't like Luigi in this game as much (maybe it was the change to his Final Smash). Having bought Fire Emblem Awakening with my 3DS, I wanted to play :4robinm: very much, so I ended up maining him for almost a year.
I'm not quite sure who my main is in this game, now. Probably both :4villager: and :4shulk: although I know I would probably be better off switching to Cloud if I want to do very well.

D

Deleted member

Melee: :sheikmelee:, I mean, who doesn't love ninjas when you are 5 years old, lmao. I hated :zeldamelee: though.

Brawl: :pt:, I'm a huge Pokémon fan, I loved :ivysaur: most of the 3.

Smash 4: :4villager:, I'm also a huge fan of Animal Crossing, and got hyped af when he was announced.

FlyingDragon73

Smash Rookie
NNID
NitroFalcon
:link64::linkmelee::link2::4link: I've had the The Hero of The gods on my side since smash 64. It was really tough through Melee and Brawl to keep him as a main but I had courage.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Strangely enough, my favorite types of characters are campy, projectile fighters like Villager, R.O.B., and Bowser Jr., but as for my main, I have a soft spot for Little Mac.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I was too young to know how to play Smash when 64 was out, so I started with Melee.

Melee: :kirbymelee: because I liked his games and copy ability. Clearly I didn't care about the competitive scene.

Brawl::lucas:because I played him a lot during Subspace Emissary, so I got so used to him that:ness2: felt weird. Eventually,:gw: because I liked his crazy gimmicks. Keep in mind, I still didn't know the difference between tilts and smashes, and I would forget to use grab until someone else did (and then I would spam it).

Smash 4: :4mario: was the first character I played "seriously" (ie: on For Glory), because I had already secondaried him in the other games, so when I heard he was good, I tried him out. He's still one of my pocket characters if the matchup calls for it. I also played :4pacman: back then because I found his moveset unique, but not as often online because that was pre-Abadango (when people thought he was low tier).

Last edited:

Simsima494

Smash Rookie
In 64 it was pikachu, cause I didn't have cable and only knew pokemon and yu gi oh, in brawl I did pokemon trainer because again, the main games I played were pokemon, and in smash 4, pit/dark because I loved the kid icarus characters

Top Bottom