• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What character did you first ever main?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Mewtwo in Melee. The Pokemon characters were pretty much the only ones I recognized since Melee was my first Nintendo game and I'd seen Pokemon movies and episodes of the TV show, so I mostly played them in Melee. I started with Pikachu (because the rest of the Pokemon were unlockable, obviously) and Jigglypuff and Pichu didn't quite stick with me. Then I unlocked Mewtwo. From the first Pokemon movie, I thought that Mewtwo was the coolest, most powerful character ever, so I was amazed to find him unlockable and took him under my wing. Ironic considering he was actually one of the worst characters in that game. Naturally, I was crestfallen to find out that Mewtwo wouldn't be returning for Brawl and I've basically been in a big main crisis ever since. Sometimes, I wonder how things would be different if Mewtwo was in Brawl...

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
If just in Smash 4: :rosalina: (Yeah, I was lucky)
If in any Smash game: :kirby64: (I was like 5 when I played with my cousin at 64, I mainly used neutral B and spam Smash attacks lol)

Last edited:

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
My first Smash game was Brawl (this was in 2012), and my first and only main was Mario because he's my favorite video game character, it only took 20 seconds to figure out how he worked, and he was fun to use. :mario2:

D

Deleted member

:icsmelee: in Melee. As I got into actually playing Melee for real I ended up dedicating myself to :sheikmelee: (whom I play in every Smash title, but don't main her.)

:sonic: in Brawl since he was my hero back in my childhood and was hyped as everliving hell to be in the game. I enjoyed him for a few years, until I eventually switched to my favorite Nintendo character: :dedede:. Nowadays :metaknight: is my main but Deeds us still hella fun.

In Smash 4, mained :4dedede: since launch due to how dedicated I was to him in Brawl, but he's now my secondary since I find it aggravating to go through so many bad matchups with him in tournament. :4mewtwo:/:4cloud: are my boys these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Green Wave

Smash Rookie
Memory is hazey on the whole thing, since it's been years now, but I know as a kid I was a massive Yoshi fanatic, so I instantly drew to him when I saw he was an unlockable character. Moved onto Luigi for awhile since I was a fan of him as we'll and i found his fighting style to look so hilarious. These days in Smash 4 I stick to Fox and Rosalina, just becuz I like the characters/fond of their fighting styles.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
:dedede: was the first character I started to play as and enjoy using. As I got older, I learned more and more about the character and started using him more and more.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Started with :ness64: because kid me thought he was baller being able to control fire and lightning.

My one true Melee love has always been :ganondorfmelee: but I've started throwing some :peachmelee: in there as well.

Brawl was probably :pit: but I didn't really play it enough to develop a main.

Started out maining :4littlemac: but realized he was terrible once I started playing with people who knew what they were doing. Switched to :4myfriends: before the first Wii U patch and have been incredibly happy ever since.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Sm4sh, I started out with :rosalina: and I still play her to this day.
In other Smash games, I started out with :mario64:.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Although I played 64 first, Melee was the first Smash game that I really played consistently enough to have a main. Anyways, I mained :foxmelee:, because as a kid, I thought Foxes were cool. I guess.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
First started using Lucas in Brawl, ended up playing Mother 3 because of that (best choice I ever made, the game is awesome).
For Smash 4, I used Fox first, but then played pretty much every character before settling on Ryu sometime in Nov/December

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Melee: :mariomelee:, because I was pretty young at the time and didn't know any other character.
Brawl: :ike:, because when I unlocked Marth in Melee, I was obsessed with him. When I realized that I needed to unlock him, I played Ike for the time being.
Smash 4: :4robinm:, because if you knew me well, then you'd know that I am obsessed with Robin ever since I first played Awakening. So when he was confirmed, it'd would only be natural that I would main him.

Rhinomaster22

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rhinomaster22
Smash 64: :fox64: (Laser)
Melee: :foxmelee: (Look cool and lazers :3)
Brawl: :fox: (As soon as I bought the game) :4sonic: (As soon as I unlocked him)
Smash 4: :4sonic::4fox: (Both we're available so I used them both equally)

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Bowser. He was the first character I ever played in a Smash game. I was at a party where everyone was playing Brawl rotations and I didn't really know much about the game. All I knew was that I saw one of my favorite video game characters on the character select screen and he looked really cool and strong. I was promptly bodied by all my friends.

:bowser2:

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
Melee: :mewtwomelee: (Because I thought Mewtwo was awesome!)
Brawl: :snake: (Because I thought he was cool)
Smash 4: :4bowser: (I thought he would be overpowered lol)

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
Although I mained Falco in Brawl, I picked up Lucina first when the game came out.

SpaceCanary

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpaceCanary
:4link: After some experimentation with the roster, Link stuck as my first main due to his melee power combined with his projectiles. He wasn't too technical, so he was easy to start out with.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
sonic and snake were my first "mains" in brawl, didn't pick up on the competitive scene until 3ds/wiiU

MrRiyku

Smash Rookie
When I was a kid I played :linkmelee: a lot because I thought he was cool having a sword and shield and bombs and arrows. I also played :falcomelee: and continued playing him into brawl because he was "edgy"
As for Smash 4 I played :4shulk: a lot because I thought his design was really neat but ended up dropping him after learing he wasn't really viable.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
N64 - Pikachu
Melee - Peach
Brawl - Pokémon Trainer
Project M - Peach
Flash 2 - Goku
3DS - Pac-Man
Wii U - Dark Pit

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
While it took me a year of playing Brawl, I did end up, for whatever reason, maining Game and Watch. Six years later, I still main him to this day, partially out of dedication, partially out of my love for playing as him. :4gaw:
:162:

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I only recently played 64 for the first time. I played Kirby, Samus, and Link because I like them a lot as characters and they were familiar to me.

Seven year old me didn't know what a tier list was, nor did I know what Star Fox was. Didn't stop me from playing Fox in Melee.

In Brawl I messed around with a lot of characters but I stuck with Sonic, Kirby and Meta Knight when I was younger.

For PM I played a lot of Ganondorf and ZSS.

For 4 I'm not really sure. I had like ten characters I played upon release, but my favorite was Little Mac. Clearly influenced my footsie playstyle. :D

Corrin In The Kappa

Smash Rookie
NNID
CodeNameDexter
3DS FC
4184-5450-8570
in Brawl I mained Fox first because in my mind I thought he was really cool. Oh, and I'll never forget his Brawl voice. That was also cool.

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
My first mains... Ooooh.
I picked up Brawl as a casual party game in 2010. I had many 'mains' but my favourite, and what I would call my first main now looking back on it, was :pikachu2:. I was a huge Pokémon fan, and spamming Thunder and d-smash was my signature playstyle. I was one of the only few in my group of friends that could actually do the second half of Quick Attack too, and I felt pretty happy about it.

When it comes to Smash 3DS, this was the point when I started playing 'competitive' (it was For Glory. I was probably a FG noob). The first character I really settled on was :4fox:. He made me feel like a bit of a pro when spamming up-air and back-air. I simply loved his speed and strong hit-and-run combos.

Does Smash Wii U count as another game? Oh well. I eventually decided to pick up :4rob: after learning about his Beep-Boop combo (Which I called the RoboHoo-Hah back then). Before I knew it, I discovered how to zone with his Robo-Beam and Gyro and fell in love. :4fox:Became a secondary of sorts.

I only first played Melee last Christmas. At first, I was airdodging offstage every 5 seconds due to my Brawl and Smash 4 habits and didn't really have a character I really liked.
Then, I unlocked :falcomelee:. Then, I learned SHDL. Then, I learned how to Shine Combo. Then, I learned how to L-Cancel a few moves. Then, I went "Woah, I love Falco".

Charzarding

Smash Rookie
Melee- Zelda (never played competitively)
Brawl/PM- Lucas
Sm4sh- random everyone with good recoveries (Lucas when I get the dlc :( )

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
:luigi64: in 64/Melee, because he's my favorite Nintendo character in the respective casts. :4dedede: in Brawl/4 for the same.

They've never been good fits for me though so they either end up as secondaries or get dropped entirely.

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
:4falco: Cousin first introduced me to Melee and had Falco and as the stupid kid i just thought (Wow cool bird with gun) and decided to play him. Havent dropped him yet (Even with Corrin in the game). When I first got Sm4sh however, I tried to main Lucina for a while but eventually went back to Falco. I still have Lucina as one of my mains but I play Falco more than everyone else.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom