• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what buttons do you press?

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
i use L for everything that needs a sheild button. x for all jumping. c stick for up airs with falcon and sometimes down airs with him. and dont really use c stick with falco.. only sometimes when i am raging and mr. try harding like nun will i for some reason use c-stick. its wierd the way our brains work while playing smash.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i use the analogue stick for just about every jump so i wavedash with just the stick and R. i also only use the stick and r to Shine OoS and infinite jc shine. i only use x to jump when i want distance with a short hop aeriel/laser. i only use L for teching from habit r is everything else and the only time i use the c-stick is to do a short hop uair but i seldom do that.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
l cancel, l wavedash, x for jump
ive only been able to perform a shinegrab by using the analogue stick for jump, however.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
shield with L
L-cancel with L
wavedash with R
C-stick for shine out of shield
jump with X, Y, and control stick (depends on the move; X for short hop and full jump, control stick for full jump -- occasionally...especially if I want to go for an uair or an instant double jump (X to Control Stick), and Y is an accident)

Y is for shdl (Fox) and occasionally shine out of shield if I feel like a balla.
Multishines with Y

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
You guys are weird, I use R for everything and Y for everything, C-stick for arials, a+stick for oos arials.

Why do some people use so many buttons lol.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
You guys are weird, I use R for everything and Y for everything, C-stick for arials, a+stick for oos arials.

Why do some people use so many buttons lol.
I just learned new buttons to rise to a challenge that I couldn't meet at the time; I used to use control stick for all of my jumps, but then I decided to stop being a noob and learn short hops, so it was just plain better and easier with X (Y would've been best though). Then Y was used because I couldn't shdl with X. And C-Stick was learned, because I couldn't shine ooS with Y. XD

At this point however, my fingers are fast enough to do just about any move with any button, but it's a lot easier to do it with different buttons, rather than "one button for all." Haha, but that's just me. :psycho:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
whats an x button?

R button is only useful for RLASTART.

in-game:

Y for mostly everything. up for jump cancels, and rising full-jump stuff.

L for EVERYTHING shield related.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i actually recently decided to start using the claw to make my life easier in general. so now i use

L for shielding and L-cancelling
R for wavedashing and teching

which is a very deliberate setup: i try to never fully click my L button, so I [almost] never miss techs because I hit a shoulder button during hitlag by accident. i only miss techs because i hit a shoudler button during hitlag because of bad timing :) i recommend it. it also makes wd out of shield super easy

y for jump
c-stick for aerials
b for special moves

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i can do everything, so learning claw would be completely useless rofl.

i can't think of a single thing clawing would make me more consistent at.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
then don't switch? it makes it easier to jump out of shield quickly and not accidentally bump buttons as your thumb moves around the whole controller. i like it, that's all.

if you're referring to when i recommended using a certain setup, i was just saying it's good to use one shield button for things that don't require clicking and another for the things that do. obviously you can learn to do everything with one button and regular grip, i just think it's esier this way.

wizimaster

Smash Rookie
L for l-cancel
L for wavedash
R for shield
Y for jump and JCing stuff
c-stick for almost all aerials (so that I have absolutely full control of the drifting while in the air)
c-stick or a-stick+a for smashes
down-b+y+a-stick aerial for shine-bair-nair-dairs
up on a-stick+c-stick for usmash OOS
R for teching

The only aerial I obviously don't c-stick is the nair (wich I tend to use a lot). The only occasion where I would do an a-sticked bair/dair is if I want to do it quickly OOS for a punish.

the_ragnarok2010

Smash Rookie
I use L for wd and block. R for waveland and tech. C stick for airiels. X for jump. Sometimes I use z for down airiel.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Does anyone know someone who uses the control stick to jump/WD?
I full jump with the control stick.

Wavedashing with the control stick sounds like you're asking for trouble though. D: I'm sure there's someone out there who's able to do it.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
L for l-cancel and shield
R for wavedash
Y for jumping
although for certain moves (ledge hop double laser for example) i use the joystick to jump

nbart1016

Smash Rookie
I shield, L-cancel, and wavedash with L. x for jump off the ground and shine -> platform waveland stuff. i use the stick for mid-air shines and y for multishines/shine OoS and LHDL.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I Jump with X
I sheild with R
I L-Cancel with L
I Tech with R
I alternate between Y and B to JC Shine
I use the C stick for Dair, Uair and Bair
I use A for Nair
I waveland and wavedash with R
I use L for a smooth waveland from the edge

My controller configuration

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
I Jump with X
I sheild with R
I L-Cancel with L
I Tech with R
I alternate between Y and B to JC Shine
I use the C stick for Dair, Uair and Bair
I use A for Nair
I waveland and wavedash with R
I use L for a smooth waveland from the edge

My controller configuration
lol wudda**** what you sayin man.

Gawd I would forget what is for what lol.

makoforce

Smash Ace
L for everything except platform wavedashing and Y for jumping C-stck for aerials except nair.
and control stick for JC grab and Grab shine

Sim

Smash Apprentice
L - Wavedash, Waveland
R - Shield, L-cancel, Tech
X - LH, SH, Waveshines
Y - Whatever, sometimes xD
c-stick - Aerials
A - Nairs
Z - Sometimes I do aerials with Z, I can't even recall when or why. It just happens.

I also grab with Z and not (Shield + A)

I dashdance with B

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I jump almost exclusively with X, SOMETIMES with up (ledge lasers, some ledgehops, and shine -> aerials). I never use Y.

I use R for everything that it can be used for. L-canceling, wavelanding, airdodging, shielding, teching. In fact, when I plug my controller in, I hold down the L button so my left index finger doesn't twitch and accidentally make me lightshield.

I almost always use the c-stick for bair, dair, and fair. Only exception is when I do a REACHING ledgehop bair (like, backwards jump and A) and I do SH uairs with c-stick, but I do DJ uairs with A.

I nair with A, but with Marth and Falcon, I use Z a lot more for some aerials.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The small red button.

Over and over and over again.

edit:

Y - All jumps
Control stick - for umping fast after uthrow uair (as Fox), general movement
X+R - Wavedashing
Y+R - Wavelanding when timing needs to be different
L - Blocking, shield grabs, and teching
C-stick - All aerials except nair
A - Nair

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
Y and L: Waveshining
X: 90% of jumps, occasionally use Y.
Control stick: For full hops with Falco's lasers.
L: Wavelanding, l-canceling, etc.
C-stick: 50% of aerials, depending on my situation. I mostly use it for u-airs and d-airs.
R: Never touch it, I actually took it out of my controller. lol.

wizimaster

Smash Rookie
I'd say there are some important decisions that one must make when deciding which button to use or convert to using:

However first and foremost you must consider your own personal preference, and there are always exceptions to stuff since the game is very situational.

We have objective truths like: Y button is closer to B than X, which means technically you should get used to Y in order to be as fast as possible when JC shining or Shine OOS (still consider your personal preference). I know people who consistently JC shine with X so it's not a big deal. Control-stick for jumping is kinda dumb, and here's some good info about it that I rarely see people are aware of:

Think about how important the control-stick is: You need it to DI ALL THE TIME with nearly frame-perfect reaction-time. That's why I think one should not limit their decisions to something that involves the control-stick when it's possible to do something alternate (there's many exceptions to this statement though). In other words: If you get used to, for instance; start b-airing with the c-stick, you could hold the control-stick up while doing it in-case you get hit or out-prioritized by a strong move during the bair. That way you already had correct DI (considering your % was high). The same logic applies to smashes: Do the smash with the c-stick while having proper DI ready on the control-stick during the animation.

Then there's the "WD'ing with the opposite button you're shielding with" thing. As professional players have realized: It's essential to have a well timed wavesheilding game. In order to have the best possible waveshielding game, you should technically not use the same button for shielding and WD'ing. Anyway, if you think it works to do it with the same button I won't stop you but I still stand by my word.

That's about all I can think of right now, but I'll mention some neat stuff about c-sticking aerials: When c-sticking d-airs while shuffling it's probably easier to time the fast-fall since the control-stick isn't down when you use the d-air. Also when c-sticking u-airs you have greatly decreased the chance to accidentally jump out of it, however that is rarely a problem. The big problem with c-sticking aerials however is that it takes time to get that thumb down there on that c-stick, so it's essential to mix-up with A when you have to be fast.

Meljin

Smash Apprentice
I use R for all moves that involves R/L buttons.
I use Y for jumping
I use the C-stick mostly, but when it comes to fast Shine-*air combo, I jump with the stick and do my move with A instead of the C-stick.

I have a question. I tried many times to Shield with L and Tech/wavedash/... with R, but i'm really used to shield with R.
I can change when playing with a lvl 1 computer, but when I play w/ an human, I feel uncomfortable and after 3/4 matches loosing, I stop shielding with L.

So my question is... How can we change our button configuration without being uncomfortable ? =/

Pony

Smash Apprentice
X for jump, Y/B for JC shines, C-Stick for aerials, Tap jump for quick shines, and L for wavedashing, L-cancels, teching and shielding, lol.

R for.. LRAstart?

wizimaster

Smash Rookie
How can we change our button configuration without being uncomfortable ? =/
Just start to use the new button, and expect it to be weird and uncomfortable for some time. Then it's just a matter of how much time you take to adapt to new stuff. Up until a few month's ago I shielded with L, but then I switched to R to make waveshielding easier. Didn't take to much time to perfect it (some practice at home and 2-3 sessions with friends) , and I used the opportunity to get used to Perfect-shield timings against Falco's lasers (you should do something similar as well, because you should use the new shield button allot from now on to get used to it).

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
Just take the R button out, you'll have no other choice but to not use it. I'm thinking of taking my X button out after RoM3 so that way I'm forced to get used to using Y.

KyoTehCatt

Smash Cadet
R - for l cancel, shield, and sometimes shield grabs .
L- for wavedashing, shield grabs and that's about it?
c- stick for mostly every aerial , I use a for f-airs when im pillaring ;D
I think today im going to try jumping with Y, to see if i can actually play better
with it.
I don't use control stick for any aerials just to move. that's about it .

Top Bottom