• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
What's wrong with Youkai Watch. I haven't been following it at all.
I'm sick of hearing about it. This game has been pushed non-stop for about a year and I can't stand to hear about the real-world (mythological) youkai any more because every gaming outlet that primarily covers Nintendo stuff has been writing article after article on it.

From what I gather, the same people who made Ni no Kuni (which I played and didn't care for) decided they could make a game even more like Pokemon and it became a big hit. It's just a poor man's Pokemon. It's a children's RPG from a studio that put out another poor man's Pokemon. It doesn't deserve this level of coverage.

finalark

SNORLAX
From what I gather, the same people who made Ni no Kuni (which I played and didn't care for) decided they could make a game even more like Pokemon and it became a big hit. It's just a poor man's Pokemon. It's a children's RPG from a studio that put out another poor man's Pokemon. It doesn't deserve this level of coverage.
The mons genre existed well before Pokemon. Just sayin'.

finalark

SNORLAX
Five years ago I never would have thought that I would say this, but 2D platformers have really, really overstayed their welcome. The revival was really awesome back when it was first kicked off but I never wanted 3D platformers to die for it.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Five years ago I never would have thought that I would say this, but 2D platformers have really, really overstayed their welcome. The revival was really awesome back when it was first kicked off but I never wanted 3D platformers to die for it.
I actually never really thought about this. The rise of "retro styled games" and such pretty much kicked out 3D platformers for the most part in favor of 2D, making 3D platformers more retro now than 2D platformers are.
Jeez, this is all confusing. Maybe we should bring back bringing back retro games and make more 3D platformers.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Huh, I'm pretty happy that 3D platformers are basically dead. My least favorite thing about all of them is the gameplay. Every one of them, even the good ones, suffered from slightly "off" controls and really bad cameras.

finalark

SNORLAX
Huh, I'm pretty happy that 3D platformers are basically dead. My least favorite thing about all of them is the gameplay. Every one of them, even the good ones, suffered from slightly "off" controls and really bad cameras.
So, did you never play any of the PS2 greats? The Sly trilogy? The Jak series? Any of the Ratchet and Clank games?

I'll agree that a vast majority of PS1/N64/SAT era platformers suffer from iffy controls and bad cameras but by the time the PS2/GCN/Xbox era rolled around devs had that **** down.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Do you even Mario Galaxy?

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
So, did you never play any of the PS2 greats? The Sly trilogy? The Jak series? Any of the Ratchet and Clank games?

I'll agree that a vast majority of PS1/N64/SAT era platformers suffer from iffy controls and bad cameras but by the time the PS2/GCN/Xbox era rolled around devs had that **** down.
I think I played the first one and liked it, but I was really young at the time and barely remember anything about it. Most of my 3D platformer experience is with the PS2/GC era. I sold almost all of the ones I had and only a few were decent enough for me to remember.

Do you even Mario Galaxy?
Mario Galaxy 1 was probably the best 3D platformer I've ever played, but even it had its moments of 3D platformer BS.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
On that topic, for me, I've mostly stuck with Mario regarding 3D platformers. I don't know why, but I've had little interest in playing other 3D platformers. I guess branding is a big part of it. Sort of like how I have little interest in Smash-like games compared to the actual thing.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Not a criticism of this opinion but I think there's a lot of reason for why 2D platformers have suddenly returned and why 3D platformers have seemingly died because of it. The New Super Mario Bros series sells a lot more than Mario's 3D platformers for example. From that, you can make the assumption that the majority of people are just more fond of 2D platformers and that they have more potential for success. Also, they're probably easier to develop.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Not a criticism of this opinion but I think there's a lot of reason for why 2D platformers have suddenly returned and why 3D platformers have seemingly died because of it. The New Super Mario Bros series sells a lot more than Mario's 3D platformers for example. From that, you can make the assumption that the majority of people are just more fond of 2D platformers and that they have more potential for success. Also, they're probably easier to develop.
So? Just because it sells more doesn't make it better.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Ocarina Stealer Ocarina Stealer

I never said that one was better. I'm just trying to say that one is a much greater financial risk than the other. So that's probably why there are a lot of 2D Platformers around compared to 3D ones.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
So? Just because it sells more doesn't make it better.
Well, no. But it does explain why 3D platformers have all but disappeared for 2D. People like them more, so they buy more of them. Games are commercial products. This has had both good (faster advances in technology) and bad (day-1 DLC, CoD, buggy release that may or may not be patched later) effects on games and gamer culture. So saying that, based on sales data, people generally prefer 2D platformers, is not a statement of quality. It's an explanation that, for better or worse, what gets released is what sells.

finalark

SNORLAX
After looking up some numbers, you're entirely correct. Mario Galaxy only sold around 12 million copies while NSMB sold around 29 million.

I think the fact that 2D platformers are also more accessible is a factor. Anyone can figure out moving left to right, but have you ever seen someone who has never really played a video game before try to control a character in a 3D environment? It's actually incredibly difficulty if you haven't been doing it your whole life.

ilysm

sleepy
And now I've discovered this thread!

All of TF2's Unusual effects are hideous and terrible except Cloud 9, Circling Heart, Circling Peace Sign, and maybe Sunbeams and Orbiting Planets.

'bye now

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Personally, Insomniac made some of the best platformers in the 3D realm, with their work in the early Spyro games and the many Ratchet and Clank games. But I think games in both dimensions can be good, the devs just have to know what they're doing.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I only just found out within the past couple of weeks that Insomniac had developed the first 3 Spyro games. I guess that explains why I like R&C so much; they had already shown their skills with Spyro.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I gotta say, I'm starting to hate that any setting for an RPG is always high fantasy medieval times than something different. Or atleast some with something fun in combat instead of the same old slow as molasses gameplay

I mean I'll love something similar to gameplay of things like Witcher, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, TES or even Zelda which really isn't like those games but just something different and unique.

Maybe it's the genre but man, those big Open World RPGs just bore me to tears. Except for Dragon's Dogma but hats due to the gameplay actually being fun and fast paced.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I gotta say, I'm starting to hate that any setting for an RPG is always high fantasy medieval times than something different. Or atleast some with something fun in combat instead of the same old slow as molasses gameplay

I mean I'll love something similar to gameplay of things like Witcher, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, TES or even Zelda which really isn't like those games but just something different and unique.

Maybe it's the genre but man, those big Open World RPGs just bore me to tears. Except for Dragon's Dogma but hats due to the gameplay actually being fun and fast paced.
I think it just works well with the genre. Leveling up your stats and such is more fun, imo, when there's a bunch of different things like magic and light and heavy armor or weapons, and you can choose whether to be an archer or a bruiser or a thief. It just has a lot of options that I feel could lead to easier game development. Not to mention that a lot of these are sort of established RPG themes.

But I would like to see some more different RPGs. We do have Fallout 4 coming soon!

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
My unpopular gaming opinions:
1. Mario 64 is for me my least favorite 3D Mario game.
2. I like the Metroid series a little more than The Legend of Zelda series.
3. Out of all the Yoshi games, I find Yoshi's Island to be the best Yoshi game with Woolly World in a close second.
4. I've never really liked the Sonic series too much, although I have played a decent amount of Sonic games.
5. I mostly prefer Falco over Fox not just in Smash, but also in the Star Fox series.

finalark

SNORLAX
As an avid TCG fan, I find videos examining Hearthstone's design to be hilariously quaint. I don't even have anything against Hearthstone (as a game, not a big fan on the effect it had on other things), but people treating Hearthstone's design like it's some kind of never-before-seen mind bender is groan-worthy when all of it is stuff the TCG community figured out decades ago.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I'm not entirely sure this is unpopular but the only people who think the newer Call of Duties are good are 12 year olds who shouldn't even be playing the game and I think they then plague sites like Metacritic with positive reviews.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My unpopular gaming opinions:
1. Mario 64 is for me my least favorite 3D Mario game.
2. I like the Metroid series a little more than The Legend of Zelda series.
3. Out of all the Yoshi games, I find Yoshi's Island to be the best Yoshi game with Woolly World in a close second.
4. I've never really liked the Sonic series too much, although I have played a decent amount of Sonic games.
5. I mostly prefer Falco over Fox not just in Smash, but also in the Star Fox series.
1. Which IS your favorite then?
2. Understandable. I'll always prefer Zelda but Super Metroid beats half of the games in the series for me.
3. I was under the impression that Yoshi's Island was the one good Yoshi game and the rest were terrible.
4. Understandable.
5. Understandable.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm not entirely sure this is unpopular but the only people who think the newer Call of Duties are good are 12 year olds who shouldn't even be playing the game and I think they then plague sites like Metacritic with positive reviews.
Well I'll have to say it's not an unpopular opinion, because it's not an opinion at all, but an inflammatory statement aimed at those who enjoy Call of Duty.

Which I have to say, as someone who doesn't play Call of Duty, Black Ops 3 looks hella tight, and I'm 19...

Also, really loving that FPSes are moving towards the future now. While I find modern shooters fun, I feel Sci-Fi shooters are way more interesting.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I like CoD...

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
Hey ho! This is an entertaining thread.

This has probably been said earlier in the thread: I enjoyed Brawl. In general, I think all the Smash games have their merits, with Brawl's good side resting mainly on its magnificent single-player offerings. I'd kill to have an adventure/story mode like Subspace Emissary again. (Brawl is also necessary for Brawl- and Project M. Kappa)

Also, not sure how unpopular this opinion actually is, but: I think Saints Row 3 is better than any of the Grand Theft Auto games. It's more whimsical and creative, it controls great (drifting hnggg <3), it encourages getting cool cars and doesn't make it difficult to do so, and in general it's just a fantastic power trip of a game. (SR4 was enjoyable too, but a bit over the top for me.)

finalark

SNORLAX
(Brawl is also necessary for Brawl- and Project M. Kappa)

Anyone want to explain this meme to me? I see people throwing it around a lot these days and I have no idea what Japanese river monsters have to do with anything.

Also, not sure how unpopular this opinion actually is, but: I think Saints Row 3 is better than any of the Grand Theft Auto games. It's more whimsical and creative, it controls great (drifting hnggg <3), it encourages getting cool cars and doesn't make it difficult to do so, and in general it's just a fantastic power trip of a game. (SR4 was enjoyable too, but a bit over the top for me.)
I have never once in my entire life played a GTA game, but ******* around on Co-Op in SR3 is one of the most hilariously fun things to come out of video games.

Plus the motorcycle controls in that game are gloriously satisfying. Every once in a blue moon I'll boot the game up just to ride on the city at super fast speeds and hit every corner like a pro.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran

Anyone want to explain this meme to me? I see people throwing it around a lot these days and I have no idea what Japanese river monsters have to do with anything.
Kappa is apparently a Twitch emoticon that people seem to use as sort of an "I'm being silly" face. I think of it a bit like an exaggerated joke-face a vaudeville performer might make after a gag. I thought for sure Smashboards actually had a Kappa emoticon, but I guess not.

I have never once in my entire life played a GTA game, but ******* around on Co-Op in SR3 is one of the most hilariously fun things to come out of video games.

Plus the motorcycle controls in that game are gloriously satisfying. Every once in a blue moon I'll boot the game up just to ride on the city at super fast speeds and hit every corner like a pro.
Funnily enough, I actually held back commenting on how I've never had much luck with the motorcycles in Saints Row; I'm better at them in GTA5. I definitely find cars and aircraft way more satisfying to control in Saints Row than GTA, though.
I've only played the numbered GTAs 3 through 5, and if I had to recommend you one, it'd be 5 (which I think definitely earns its praise). Though I've been told San Andreas is the best in the series, I haven't tried that one yet.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I may have posted some of these in the general unpopular media opinions topic, but here goes:
  • Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game only under Majora's Mask
  • Nintendo's Zelda 'remakes' are a rip-off in terms of what other companies are providing, and that's saying a lot. Lol.
  • Generation V of Pokemon was excellent.
  • Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are still the weakest point of the mainline Pokemon series for me.
  • Pokemon Snap was cute when I was a child, but it would have to become a much more complex, full-blown adventure game before I'd ever buy another one.
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash!! besides having some amazing tracks that I enjoy seeing in later games, never really did anything for me.
  • The Super Mario Galaxy games are severely overrated. The OST tracks played with live orchestral instruments is about the only thing I'd give the games as deserving of being on such a pedestal.
  • NES games were great in the original Animal Crossing game, but it has never been in the least bit logical to include them in any game further. Get over it.
  • TBH, I'm tired of 2.5 top-down Zelda games.
  • Violent hyper-realistic games do absolutely nothing for me. In fact, they just feel wrong.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
Hey, TwiPri (does anyone else call it that?) is my favorite Zelda too!
And, I thought A Link Between Worlds was a fine spiritual-sequel to ALttP.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
  • Ocarina of Time is severely overhyped and was at best decent. Majora's Mask absolutely destroys it in everything; the plot, the gameplay, the music, everything Ocarina did, Majora's did better.

• I didn't mind Samus having PTSD in Other M, and I feel the only reason people didn't like it was due to it's use coming off less as a plot device and more like it's part of some bad fanfic. Had it been written into the plot better, I feel like it'd be much more welcomed.

• I find most of the Kanto Pokedex to be comprised of some of the worst Pokemon in the series. A garbage Pokemon sounds bad, but I don't see how anybody could defend something like Voltorb or Magneton if they were new Pokemon in Generation 6.

• By contrast, I think Kalos has some of the best Pokemon in the series. You can't tell me that designs like Tyrantrum, Yveltal and Malamar aren't cool-looking. You just can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom