• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
Atleast Rosalina was somewhat relevant in the games she was first in and had importance in the plot she as in and is playable in a Mario platformer.

Waluigi is f****** filler as in he was made to be filler and that's what he'll always be and what he should be
Rosalina is a ******* waifu with a sob story and hasn't really done anything significant. I'd take anything over Rosalina.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Warning Received
Rosalina is a ******* waifu with a sob story and hasn't really done anything significant. I'd take anything over Rosalina.
If you value your life, never insult a man's waifu. Rosalina's not my waifu (see my signature), but you have to be heartless to not have a little bit of a soft spot for her.

In other words, the following is not only exactly the wrong way to make friends, but exactly the wrong way to keep breathing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twewy

Smash Lord
You never insult another man's waifu. That's like insulting his soul, or some crappy simile.

While they aren't exactly bad games, I feel the Elder Scroll series (at least IV and V) is boring and has nothing really going for it. I had more fun breaking Skyrim than I did actually playing through it.

While they aren't exactly bad games, I feel the Elder Scroll series (at least IV and V) is boring and has nothing really going for it. I had more fun breaking Skyrim than I did actually playing through it.
I agree. Bethesda RPGs usually have one thing going for them: scale. They can make a big world for you to play in, but they can't inhabit it with anything worthwhile. Usually there's only one or two quests that are actually worth seeing, while the rest are super boring, poorly-written, or both.

When somebody walks away from a Bethesda RPG (past Morrowind, anyhow), they're almost never reminiscing about the story, the quests, the characters, etc. They're usually like "Uh, I installed a mod that turned dragons into Macho Man." That, to me, is a sign of a bad RPG.

finalark

SNORLAX
I agree. Bethesda RPGs usually have one thing going for them: scale. They can make a big world for you to play in, but they can't inhabit it with anything worthwhile. Usually there's only one or two quests that are actually worth seeing, while the rest are super boring, poorly-written, or both.

When somebody walks away from a Bethesda RPG (past Morrowind, anyhow), they're almost never reminiscing about the story, the quests, the characters, etc. They're usually like "Uh, I installed a mod that turned dragons into Macho Man." That, to me, is a sign of a bad RPG.
I have never once installed an mod for any Bethesda game.

The way I see it, the Elder Scrolls games aren't really about story, despite being RPGs. As you said, they always have these huge words to explore but not much in the way of anything well written. They're games about exploration, walking around in the world and finding neat stuff. Plus there is a ton of memorable quests, it's just that none of them are all that story driven. The one in ES4 where you have to go into someone's dream to save them, or in ES5 where you have let a Daedric Prince trap you instead a soulstone to permanently destroy someone's soul.

I'd argue that Morrowind, Daggerfall and Arena are all the same. The only reason why people act like Morrowind was any different is because its fans have their nostalgia goggles on so tight that they require some crazy surgery to remove them.

On that note, here's an unpopular opinion for ya: I don't like using mods, as I feel like they destroy the integrity of a game.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was just trying to bring up another unpopular opinion.
I feel like saying that The Elder Scrolls series sucks is kind of like a 50/50 opinion. Lots of people like those games, but there seems to be a very, very vocal minority who doesn't.

Then again, if it's a minority then I guess that makes it unpopular.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm glad I got Skyrim on Summer Sale last year.
Means I wasted less money on it.

The way I see it, the Elder Scrolls games aren't really about story, despite being RPGs. As you said, they always have these huge words to explore but not much in the way of anything well written. They're games about exploration, walking around in the world and finding neat stuff. Plus there is a ton of memorable quests, it's just that none of them are all that story driven. The one in ES4 where you have to go into someone's dream to save them, or in ES5 where you have let a Daedric Prince trap you instead a soulstone to permanently destroy someone's soul.
Fair enough. The exploration does appeal to me, but I don't think it's done well enough to make up for my other problems with the games. Different strokes, I suppose.

I've made my peace with TES. I'll still be horrendously salty about the fate of the Fallout franchise until the day I die, though. Maybe the gods will smile upon me and deliver an Obsidian-developed "spin-off" of Fallout 4.

a man can dream

finalark

SNORLAX
Don't get me wrong, I can totally understand why someone would dislike TES. The games are buggier than a landfill, a lot of the quests are honestly kind of boring, if you're looking for narrative then you're going to get gypped and the games are very easy to get burnt out on. But hey, I got my hundred hours out of each of the games, two of which I bought at full price, and had a blast the entire time. Personally, I'm pretty satisfied with them.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Waifu is a stupid concept. Let's stop talking about it now.
YOU ARE A STUPID CONCEPT LEAVE MY WAIFU OUT OF THIS.

On the topic of TES, I just find it...generic?...after Oblivion. Morrowind had a bit more foreign and fantastical feeling to it, whereas Oblivion and Skyrim (especially Skyrim) just have a more generic medieval fantasy setting, and the gameplay itself feels simpler than each previous game. People like to say Skyrim has a huge map, but IIRC Daggerfall has the biggest map in the series.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I really, really hated Ni no Kuni. The music was good, but a soundtrack that bombastic leaves you fatigued after constantly hearing it over a 50+ hour game. The battle system flat-out didn't work well. The idea is that you can either block, interrupt, or avoid most of the really devastating enemy attacks, but the window between "the attack is being charged" and "the attack is being used" is so small that you can't do anything but guard yourself. Speaking of guarding, the battle interface sucks. So many times when I try to use a familiar's tricks, I had to cancel and guard myself... But can't do it in time, because I have to cycle through all the menu options to find "block". This game really needed "cancel current action (if possible) and guard", or at least better use of the face buttons. There are three defensive options, and only one is good. Each familiar can either "block", "avoid", or "go wild". Block greatly decreases the damage you take. This is the only good one. Avoid doesn't last nearly as long as block, but you negate all damage instead of decreasing it. This would still be a good option, if it worked all the time. Sometimes you take full damage anyways, and I never figured out why sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I thought it might have something to do with attacks that hit the whole field, but I can sometimes avoid those, so I don't know. Either way, it's unreliable, but a familiar with Avoid is still usable. Then there's "go wild". Instead of blocking, your defensive command becomes "psyche up", which will make you power up and replace your standard physical attack command with "go wild". "Go wild" does nothing except give you a slightly better chance of interrupting enemy tricks with your standard physical attack. It does no extra damage or give any other boost. When you use Go Wild, it reverts back to the normal "attack" command. The problem is, psyche up takes so long to charge you can't possibly use go wild before you get hit by something, making this "defense" command absolutely worthless and unhelpful in literally every situation except if you get very, very lucky and use go wild just as the enemy is starting to charge their attack. Any familiar with Go Wild is absolutely worthless and should be shoved in the Retreat as soon as you catch it.

Swaine is the only likeable character, and that's because he constantly rags on the other idiots in my party. Oliver has no character outside of "goody-goody who's sad about his mom dying", Drippy just sucks, and most of the supporting cast (and Esther) are just annoying.

The plot almost never progresses forward and I could spot almost every twist way before they happened. Most of the "plot" is just Oliver running to various towns undoing Shadar's dirty work while Shadar keeps talking about how amazing and competent he is. The only genuine surprise is that Oliver's mom and Alicia are the same person. I could easily spot that Oliver was Shadar's soulmate. The revelation that Gallus is the Wizard-King's spirit was telegraphed from a mile away. Shadar really trying to protect the world was the only logical explanation for why he didn't just kill Oliver as soon as he started dealing with the Great Sages. Even though they were going for a story book-inspired world, it was done very very poorly. When the plot wasn't being vapid the various locales were clashing with each other. If you want to play a good game that was inspired by fairy tales, play The Last Story.

Really, the only things this game had going for it are the graphics and the sidequest system. The graphics are really nice, but good graphics can't make up for crappy story or gameplay. Not that the graphics are completely free of screw-ups either: The ability "Jumping Jack" lets you jump, but when going down ramps, you're the same height above the ground as you are when you jump on the ground! This really gets on my nerves because Jumping Jack serves no other purpose. Even though it looks like you could jump small gaps with it, you can't. It only exists to eat your sidequest upgrade points and look nice, and it sometimes even fails at looking nice.

I mentioned the sidequests before? Yeah, no complaints here. I absolutely adore the way sidequests are done in this game. Most are relatively short, give good rewards, and give out tokens called "merit stamps". You can cash these merit stamps in for really, really nice character upgrades that help a lot.

This is all off the top of my head. If I sat down and thought about it a little more, I could probably come up with even more things that drove me nuts when playing this turd.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I really, really hated Ni no Kuni.
Ni no Kuni is the epitome of "I think this game is probably good, but I'm so very bored." My bf played the heck out of it though, so maybe you just need to be one of those people who does absolutely everything in an RPG to get some sort of enjoyment out of it.

The almost-redeeming factor is that Mitey makes the cutest sound ever when you feed it chocolate, I guess.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Ni no Kuni is the epitome of "I think this game is probably good, but I'm so very bored." My bf played the heck out of it though, so maybe you just need to be one of those people who does absolutely everything in an RPG to get some sort of enjoyment out of it.

The almost-redeeming factor is that Mitey makes the cutest sound ever when you feed it chocolate, I guess.
That would make sense, considering how the sidequest system seems to have more thought put into it than the main quest. If I ever make an RPG, I'm stealing that idea.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's Island is a beautiful game with so much wonderful personality and music, but it was so easy that I actually ended up really hating it and to this day it's one of my least favorite Mario games.

I think I ended my first play-through of it at age 9 with 176 lives. It symbolizes for me the start of the serious decline of the Mario Bros games onto the "Way too easy your mom can beat them" path. Maybe I got way too good at Mario games too fast, but games like SMB 3 and the original SMB were actually challenging at least.

Thank god for Mario Galaxy 1 and 2...

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Not all games have to be OMG WRECK UR FACE SCRUB hard.

Besides, Yoshi's Island is a Yoshi game, not a Mario game.

Plus the bonus levels in Yoshi's Island were actually pretty brutal IIRC.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Super Mario Galaxy 1 being challenging is an unpopular opinion, I'll give you that.

I think TellTale focuses too much on dramatic storytelling after Walking Dead season 1 was a success, while also taking on too many projects at once. I would love to have a Sam and Max season 4 already but I doubt that'll happen with 7-ish projects they're rotating between.

Last edited:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Not all games have to be OMG WRECK UR FACE SCRUB hard.

Besides, Yoshi's Island is a Yoshi game, not a Mario game.

Plus the bonus levels in Yoshi's Island were actually pretty brutal IIRC.
Oh Finalark....every board at least has a few I guess...

It's called unpopular game opinions not "omg check out my hipster opinions now plz like my comment and validate my thoughts". I don't expect anyone to agree or like my opinion, but it is indeed how I feel about that game.

Also Yoshi's Island is A MARIO GAME. It's called Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, you are Baby Mario carried by Yoshi <- A MARIO character. Bonus levels were easy and weren't really even that fun to play.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 being challenging is an unpopular opinion, I'll give you that.

The majority of Mario Galaxy 1 is not very challenging, but getting the last of the stars and doing all the really tough coin challenges was not easy at all, but very rewarding. (I'm guessing you never got that far?)

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
The majority of Mario Galaxy 1 is not very challenging, but getting the last of the stars and doing all the really tough coin challenges was not easy at all, but very rewarding. (I'm guessing you never got that far?)
I didn't really find the purple coin challenges all that...well, challenging. Everyone was always blurting out "OMG LUIGI'S PURPLE COINS IS SO HARD" back in '07/'08 and I don't even think I lost a life on it. I may have lost one trying to figure out the level, I don't know, but I remember never really having trouble with it. I never played through the game as Luigi sadly, because I sold the game after beating it. Maybe the game was tougher with him?

Mario Galaxy 2, I actually had a tougher time with, and I'm not even counting Grandmaster/Perfect Run on that. It was genuinely challenging.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
It's usually worth giving an explanation of sorts instead of just saying an unpopular opinion without a reason.
Well, I get asked this so much I honestly forget. You know how when you get asked something so much, that you give muitiple reasons, and thus, forget what it was? Well, that's exactatly what's happening here. Maybe if I wasn't asked this every two seconds by 100% of minecrafters, maybe I could answer. But since people like YOU can't live with somebody hated on your precicious little Minecrap, I cannot give an answer. I thought this thread wasn't for argueing?

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
I didn't really find the purple coin challenges all that...well, challenging. Everyone was always blurting out "OMG LUIGI'S PURPLE COINS IS SO HARD" back in '07/'08 and I don't even think I lost a life on it. I may have lost one trying to figure out the level, I don't know, but I remember never really having trouble with it. I never played through the game as Luigi sadly, because I sold the game after beating it. Maybe the game was tougher with him?

Mario Galaxy 2, I actually had a tougher time with, and I'm not even counting Grandmaster/Perfect Run on that. It was genuinely challenging.
Yea the game is actually really tough with Luigi since he's so much more floaty and slippery. It seems like a gimmick to just have a new character same stages, but it really does make each level feel new again.

If you never lost a life on the coin/bonus challenges then bravo man, that is very impressive. I consider myself really good at 3d platformers but I near had to take a continue trying to complete them in SMG 1. The flip pixel coin level alone I think I died 15 times on just trying to figure out the timing and landing on tiny floating squares with the long jumps and back flips.

I need to go back and play SMG 2 because I remember it being a bit easier since it had to slowly introduce new elements, powerups, and Yoshi over many stages with what seemed like a very slow learning curve. I'm probably wrong on that one since I only completed it once and haven't again. I do remember the harder "bonus" type levels being much more rewarding and well-designed though.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Well, I get asked this so much I honestly forget. You know how when you get asked something so much, that you give muitiple reasons, and thus, forget what it was? Well, that's exactatly what's happening here. Maybe if I wasn't asked this every two seconds by 100% of minecrafters, maybe I could answer. But since people like YOU can't live with somebody hated on your precicious little Minecrap, I cannot give an answer. I thought this thread wasn't for argueing?
Easy there champ, he's just asking why you hate it so we can know what exactly gets you mad about it (apparently a lot of crap if you get so defensive off the bat) and hopefully not be one of those posts where you just say "lol its bad" without stating why. He might not even like "Minecrap" himself, but just wants to know why you hate it.

I don't really like it much myself, but I can see why people would like it. I remember the potential it had when Notch first came to 4chan and showed it off. Though he didn't really deliver on his promises...

I need to go back and play SMG 2 because I remember it being a bit easier since it had to slowly introduce new elements, powerups, and Yoshi over many stages with what seemed like a very slow learning curve. I'm probably wrong on that one since I only completed it once and haven't again. I do remember the harder "bonus" type levels being much more rewarding and well-designed though.
I'd recommend it. I would be going back for another playthrough but I have a huge backlog I need to get through first.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Never said I liked Minecraft. And I don't. It's boring playing alone and I don't have anyone to play it with. I also have loads of other games to play so I can't devote myself to big builds.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Also Donkey Kong 64 was straight doo doo....what drugs did those reviewers take and who was paid off for that game to get so many 9s and 10s? It was a $70 12 FPS paperweight that was of lower quality than LJN licensed games. And to add insult to injury this supremely disappointing trash heap actually required the expansion pak to play it. Dong most definitely not expanded.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Easy there champ, he's just asking why you hate it so we can know what exactly gets you mad about it (apparently a lot of crap if you get so defensive off the bat) and hopefully not be one of those posts where you just say "lol its bad" without stating why. He might not even like "Minecrap" himself, but just wants to know why you hate it.

I don't really like it much myself, but I can see why people would like it. I remember the potential it had when Notch first came to 4chan and showed it off. Though he didn't really deliver on his promises...

I'd recommend it. I would be going back for another playthrough but I have a huge backlog I need to get through first.
Oh. Sorry. My bad.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral

It's called unpopular game opinions not "omg check out my hipster opinions now plz like my comment and validate my thoughts". I don't expect anyone to agree or like my opinion, but it is indeed how I feel about that game.
Right, so if you don't expect immunity from disagreement, why are you getting so defensive about it?

Also Yoshi's Island is A MARIO GAME. It's called Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, you are Baby Mario carried by Yoshi <- A MARIO character. Bonus levels were easy and weren't really even that fun to play.
It really just isn't though. It's no more a Mario game than Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land is a Mario game or Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a Metroid game.

finalark

SNORLAX

Admittedly I came off as way more hostile than I intended, so let me rephrase my previous statement.

I don't think Yoshi's Island is a game that's supposed to be OMG WRECK UR FACE hard. It's one of those games that thrives off of its fun game play and charm.

I'd still say that Yoshi's Island is a Yoshi game, not a Mario game since YI defined the game play for latter Yoshi games and created it's own series.

Anyway, I do kind of agree with you on Yoshi's Island not being all that great. I loved it to death as a kid, but whenever I try to go back and replay it as an adult I find myself getting kind of bored around world four. It's one of those games that I feel like I like less and less with each play through.

On a semi-related note, you said it yourself. This is an unpopular opinions thread, if you came in here expecting nobody to challenge you then you're going to be disappointed. But there's no need to get so defensive when somebody does.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Certainly unpopular in places like this but definitely popular elsewhere, but Nintendo is absolutely a terrible company right now, even though they develop a couple games I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom