• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your release day plans?

NineLannister

Smash Rookie
NNID
NineLannister
Switch FC
SW 2787 1144 8408
One of the raddest parts of the release days for both Brawl and Smash 4 was getting my squad together for the midnight release, and proceeding with a caffeine and sugar fueled evening of smash shenanigans (the transition to adulthood replaced those fuel sources with liquor and also some different liquor). Typically, I would take a day off work/school and host a Smash party on December 7th. However, that's complicated by (a. the fact that graduate programs tend to frown on PhD students taking days off and (b. my Smash community is back in Austin.

That said, I specifically organized my November/December semester calendar of deadlines and projects around December 8th, so that I might take the ever elusive day off. My copy of Ultimate will be waiting in my mailbox when I get home after my department happy hour that Friday evening. At which point I will enter a night-long rampage of Smash to unlock characters, and play online with friends back in Austin. It's not the best plan in the world, but it'll still be a rad weekend that I am eagerly looking forward to.

What about the rest of you? What fun shin-digs are y'all putting together? Let me live vicariously through you.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I am getting ultimate in the Christmas holiday unfortunately. I don't have a Switch yet and I do not have much time for it with school until Christmas holiday. This holiday is a beautiful opportunity for me to play the game endlessly.

For release day? Maybe looking at some livestreams? I don't know if I want to be "spoiled" or not. But what spoilers oculd actually be in the game? We will know about every stage AND character by then.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'll just get the game at the store when it opens in the morning like I would any other game (or after work, if I have to work at the time), then when I have time to play it, I'll play the heck out of it for hours and hours. Nothing majorly special for me but believe me, I'll be super hyped for it when the day comes.

D

Deleted member

I'll get so giddy and excited that I'll forget to look both ways when crossing the street to get the game, and then a truck will run me over and I'll die.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm in California so the "midnight release" will really be 9 PM for me due to timezones, much like Mario Odyssey's release.

I don't have classes or work Friday so I'll probably just stay up all night, unlocking characters and content, and play basically nonstop throughout that weekend. Run through Classic and Spirits over and over, play friends online, try all sorts of dream matchups, hopefully play All-Star and Event Matches...

My friends and family will be forewarned to not disturb me that weekend, you can bet on that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Midnight release for me. I don't care if I have to wait ina mile long line, I'm freaking getting my hands on Ultimate come December.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have no plan other than to purchase Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I'm not going to wait until Christmas. I missed two years of Super Smash Bros. 4 and started in April 2016. I had to catch up, but this time I'm going to be on equal terms with everyone else.

DongleDude

Smash Rookie
12:00 AM-XX:XX Unlock Pokemon Trainer, King Dedede, and Zelda.
8:15AM-12:00PM Go to school and leave early due to the half day.
12:20PM-12:30PM. Unlock Marth and King K Rool/Geno/Joker (If Geno and Joker get in).
12:30PM-4:00PM. Have the squad come over and unlock the rest of the characters and grind out matches.
4:00PM-4:15PM. **INSERT SPIDERMAN PIZZA TIME MEME**
4:15PM-10:00PM. Grind out even more matches and hopefully do a tournament.
10:00PM-XX:XX. Play a bunch of Melee in the guest room to complicate what we just learned.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
1) Pre-purchase it off the Nintendo eShop when it becomes available
2) Wait for launch day
3) Finish work on launch day (if I have work)
4) Play and unlock characters
5) ???
6) PROFIT!

Khao

Smash Lord
No plans really, but hopefully I'll manage to get some friends together. Maybe not the day, but at least the weekend. If all else fails I don't actually mind playing alone for a while unlocking characters and ****.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'll be getting the game on the eShop, so I'll get it as soon as it unlocks. It comes out the Friday when I'll be done with whatever college work I'll have left for the semester, though I'll probably be done before that, so I'll have almost no obligations or distractions that weekend.

I'll probably get the strategy guide just so I know how to unlock characters, in case it isn't self-evident, and have a set of objectives.
  1. Unlock Dark Samus and Ridley.
  2. Play through the single player content with them like mad, unlocking as many other characters as I can.
  3. Figure out the differences between Samus and Dark Samus if it isn't fully evident through normal gameplay.
  4. Try out my other characters to see how they've changed (R.O.B., Dedede, Snake, etc.)
  5. Play the game online when the game is fresh and everyone is confused so I don't play online way late and get stomped by people with way more experience
  6. Take the game home and play with my family, which is the main way I play the game usually. Maybe we'll have a party, who knows
  7. Train like hell with Dark Samus and Ridley (and maybe my older characters, too)
  8. Try to 100% the game

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Grabbing it at midnight with my brother and probably some friends, proceed to play it until we can't stay up anymore. Took friday off ofc.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I will have to wait another two to three weeks until after release to get it as it lines up with Christmas.

To compensate for delay on me getting the game, I'm going straight to Twitch to watch folks play.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Anything beats Brawl.

The night of release Columbus had a record snowfall, and Gamestop cancelled the midnight release and ensuing tournament. I then trudged through two and a half feet of snow to get to that Gamestop in the morning, only to find that they were opening late. So I trudged right back home, then back to Gamestop, picked up my game, and walked to north campus through that same snow to get to my friends, who all lived on that side of the college.

Everything from my thighs down were wet and cold and it was awful.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Anything beats Brawl.

The night of release Columbus had a record snowfall, and Gamestop cancelled the midnight release and ensuing tournament. I then trudged through two and a half feet of snow to get to that Gamestop in the morning, only to find that they were opening late. So I trudged right back home, then back to Gamestop, picked up my game, and walked to north campus through that same snow to get to my friends, who all lived on that side of the college.

Everything from my thighs down were wet and cold and it was awful.
I believe brawl release was the same for me, midnight release canceled, ended up getting it at walmart

D

Deleted member

I'm getting the bundle November 2 and when the game releases, I hope to be able to purchase the box edition. If not then I'm going to buy the physical copy of the game alone. Then play until I unlock Ice Climbers and begin truly smashing. ( I heard Amiibo might unlock characters so I might get my first one being them if they release with the game.) I want to give the code away to someone just out of random kindness who needs it.

Same thing I always do. On release day, I'm planning to have a party with my three best friends. Now, me and my ****** will probably die of a hype-related heart attack before we play. But if we survive, then I'll try to unlock Luigi (assuming he's not a starter), then we'll do a bunch of matches with our mains and explore some of the other modes (especially Spirits, if it's multiplayer and it's hype as the teases will lead up to suggest. We'll get drunk as ****, one of my friends will probably bring some weed, I may or may not take a hit (depending on how drunk I am), we'll order a pizza, and, uh, we might do other things as well, just the 4 of us.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Get off work (I work third shifts so I'm usually offf by 4-5am at this point)

Take a shower

Take a nap

Wake up an hour before Best Buy is open

Get up and go

Get inside, buy the game, get my amiibos

Go home

Play some Smash

Sleep

Yeah that sounds like quite a busy schedule here (thank god I'm not working that Friday)

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Wake up around 5AM go to work, message my brother during the day to see if the package came and if he took it to school with him, if yes he wont get home till around 5-6pm so I will work overtime if its offered to me. If no, then I will leave work at normal time and hope it arrived. Then probably play with him most of the evening until he goes to bed, since he works on the weekend. Then I will stay up as long as I can unlocking characters, probably go to sleep around 4am, wake up around the time he gets home on Saturday and play with him again plus our friends if they come over.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
It's going to be that beautiful night 1 of learning (really want to focus on movement and finding several "PERFECT SHIELD (aka parry) THIS **** WITHOUT FAILURE" points against all characters) combined with whatever grind is necessary to unlock characters, music, and stages! Gaaah, I can't wait! Going crazy over here...

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm taking December 7th and 10th off from work, so that I have a 4 day weekend. I let my job know months ahead of time. I'm going to play 8-player Smash with some old friends on release day (and the day after) practically all day, as is tradition. I've been playing Smash with them since the early Melee days. We were kids back then, but now some of us have kids of our own. It doesn't matter how far we drift apart, this game brings us back together, if only for a glorious moment.

When they finally leave my house, I'm going to try to unlock everything there is to unlock.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In no rush. At the moment I'm currently saving money for a Switch but even if I do make the money by then I don't plan to get it and this game until next year when I finally move into my own house.

D

Deleted member

You know dang well ill be going to my closest Best buy or Walmart to pick that sucker up! Hopefully ill be off work early enough that day...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Get off work at 6 in the morning. (I work night shift)
Go to a Waffle House and eat some breakfast.
Go home, take a shower and play some games for a bit.
Get some shut eye for like 8 hours.
Pick up my copy of Smash Ultimate in the mail.
Get something to eat and do some shopping.
Go home and play Ultimate for who knows how long.

So there you go, that’s that. It just so happens that release day is my day off work.

UpgradeX

Smash Cadet
Plan on going digital because it's cheaper and I have nothing else planned for that Friday.

cocsinelle

Smash Rookie
NNID
cocsinelle
Switch FC
SW-0710-7463-6135
well after waking up early as usual, i will probably rush as fast as i can to the shop where i preordered my ssbu pack (canttt waitttt to see the controller btw i live for these stupid details but having the smash logo everywhere just fills me with joy aha)
also i am in a very important studying year so i have to work hard everyday BUT i think that i'll spend my day playing with my brother and his boyfriend anyway like I'VE WAITED SO LONG FOR IT BEST DAY OF MY LIFE
and then ...... i have a big test to pass at 2PM :')))) please kill me already

probably gonna start adventure mode the same day if it exists, + hope to unlock sheik as soon as i can <3

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
I will buy the Digital version and preload the game and do a 24h marathon Stream as soon as the game can be started (i have the Day off).
Friends will join in later that day to celebrate my Birthday (which is a few days prior but we planned the Party for the Weekend)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'll have the Switch bundle with the game preloaded, so I will probably wake up, play as much as I can before work, bring it to work, play during work on my breaks, get home, and play until I pass out. All my roommates are looking to get their own copy as well so you better believe some multiplayer is in our future.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
As I won't be getting it until a few weeks afterwards, go on hiatus from the internet

Arthur97

Smash Master
Depending on when finals are, I may pick it up after my last final and then go home and play Classic as Mario.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'm still deciding whether or not I should get in via the eShop or have the special edition shipped to me.

Either way, it'd be on day one. When the time comes, I plan to shut off my phone and not use my computer for about a week so that I don't see needless amounts of Smash content on Twitter and YouTube. I'd also plan to unlock Robin first via the amiibo method, or if not, the regular method.

When I say "needless amounts of Smash content", I'm talking about the...
"SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE ALL TAUNTS"
"SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE ALL ON-SCREEN APPEARANCES"
"SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE ALL ALTERNATE COSTUMES"
"SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE ALL VICTORY SCREENS"
"SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE ALL CODECS/PALUTENA'S GUIDANCE"
"SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE ALL TAUNTS IN REVERSE"
"SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE ALL ON-SCREEN APPEARANCES IN REVERSE"

That sort of thing.

I might use my phone for just Steam/Discord since the friends I'm with/servers I'm in aren't like that at all, thankfully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom