• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Customs Post-Evo 2015?

Have your opinions changed?

• Total voters

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
If you have just practised a little bit against those moves and know how to handle them, they really shouldn't be getting free wins. If you know how to handle them and still lose, that's probably because your opponent is more skilled than you which is a good thing.
eh i dont see someone camping on the ledge outplaying me but... thats just my opinion :/

Raijinken

Smash Master
eh i dont see someone camping on the ledge outplaying me but... thats just my opinion :/
From a practical stance, I agree with you fully, and that's why my own rulesets don't use percent tiebreakers that encourage that sort of gameplay.

From the current rules stance, if you can't approach, are unwilling to take a spike trade to kill him around 40, and just keep taking percent, well, you are being outplayed. Just like a Sonic running away from you for days is outplaying you.

Honestly, losing isn't about being outplayed. It's about your opponent utilizing the rules better. That just happens to result in you being "outplayed" by most opinions in most cases.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
First point I understand, counter picking should have stuck to picking the character and the set at the same time. I kinda think counterpicking sets KILLS certain characters like the DLC guys and little mac (windboxes). EVO did a lot of things wrong and I believe that was one of them.
Well that's only if you think that the only reason to implement customs is to make characters more viable. As I see it, customization gives the player a possibility to make different choices in different situations. If I'm playing against Olimar, of course I would like to use default Hammer Flip as Kirby as it makes my Pikmins better. Not allowing options such as that just takes away potential from the characters. It's a shame that DLC characters don't have customs though and it makes me a bit sad.

If your opponent can successfully camp on the ledge without being punished for regrabbing it, then you are indeed being outplayed. Trading strong attacks (like D-Smashes or spikes) for a little bit of balloon damage is a good thing. Try it!

Raijinken

Smash Master
its a very one sided topic in the smash 4 community, honestly theres barely any middle :/
Most middlings get lumped in with "Anti-customs" since that's the general trend of things. If they don't feel strongly enough to argue for them, then there's no reason to count them against the current status-quo.

NightKev

Smash Rookie
NNID
DayKev
Just making a proclamation that my reasons are invalid without demonstrating how is missing the mark - logic doesn't work that way: any claim must be backed up.
Please demonstrate your claim of invalidity - are my premises false or are they true but leading to a false conclusion?
First point was a question for clarification because the quoted statement seems to be false, second one I don't understand how it's relevant at all (so I guess also a question for clarification sorta), third I point out how that statement is false, and fourth I point out how that is false again.

Also, please do not use quotation marks unless you are... you know, actually quoting someone. Otherwise it could be seen as being dishonest trying to create an illusion that the person you are communicating with is saying something wrong when that does not reflect reality.
The quotes are literally exact quotes from your post (the larger excerpt being at the top of the post in the quote box) so once again YOU are the one being dishonest and/or absolutely incapable of reading.

Again, I will simply state that dismissing very real issues that people have with customs like they are non-issues will never resolve anything between the two sides. I am not saying you have to agree with these opinions, but I will stress how important it is to recognize these issues do exist and that just waiting for the other side to magically start agreeing with every opinion you have may not be the best strategy.
So then ****ing respond to my post instead of DISMISSING it like you claim I'm doing.

I look to resolve issues and find a happy middleground.
No you ****ing don't that is an abject lie as you continue to demonstrate again and again. Politicians have nothing on you.

T0MMY

Smash Master
So then ****ing respond to my post instead of DISMISSING it like you claim I'm doing.

No you ****ing don't that is an abject lie as you continue to demonstrate again and again. Politicians have nothing on you.
Sorry, I think I posted a response intended for another thread to yours. I will review and respond accordingly.
However, whether this is true or not you have reduced your argument to ad hominems and seem to have let emotion overcome the conversation instead of staying respectful.
I'll edit this post with an update on the response, until then please do not reduce the conversation to playground name-calling less a mod comes this way and reminds you in their usual manner.

Edit: After reviewing the responses it has been determined that it was indeed you who not only dragged the argument down with a nitpicking of formatting, but was also responsible for pretending I said "no u" as an argument and never evidenced the supposed "invalid reasoning" you accused me of - When asked to show how the reasoning could possibly be invalid you give me this monster of an ad hominem fallacy as a response (contained in the quote tag above).

One last chance to redeem your argument:
First point was a question for clarification because the quoted statement seems to be false, second one I don't understand how it's relevant at all (so I guess also a question for clarification sorta), third I point out how that statement is false, and fourth I point out how that is false again.
I asked for a demonstration of what you claimed was "invalid reasoning", not a rephrasing/summary of what you recall was said. A demonstration, please, if you know much of what validity means logically it should be simple to demonstrate and then my argument should be defeated and we can move on with the discussion to something better than invalid reasoning.

The quotes are literally exact quotes from your post (the larger excerpt being at the top of the post in the quote box) so once again YOU are the one being dishonest and/or absolutely incapable of reading.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe you'll find "no u" anywhere in my argument. If you believe otherwise please cite your source. If you believe I am being dishonest (in contrast to simply mistaken about what you are talking about) I am sure you will be able to prove this by simply using the quote tags which will link me to the response I posted (should be part of your logical demonstration of validity - see above).

(And just a reminder, your first response should be corrected in that I was referring to the differences between DLC and the Custom Fighter button. It was not an argument against using customs in a tournaments setting).

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was thinking the same thing. Though you have to wonder what took so long.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I was thinking the same thing. Though you have to wonder what took so long.
I wonder if Tourney Mode had something to do with it. Technically that was the first time we could use customs/Miis online outside of With Friends.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I wonder if Tourney Mode had something to do with it. Technically that was the first time we could use customs/Miis online outside of With Friends.
I find this likely. With Japan being lukewarm at best on customs, tournament mode is their only reliable source of data. I think this is somewhat supported by the lack of nerfs to any customs -- the devs may be uncomfortable doing so without clear evidence, and equipment would muddy those particular waters. Safer to buff the ones that are neglected.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Speaking of which, guys, I've noticed something...

I went into Tourney Mode, and now they're offering 1v1 For Glory tournies...with only custom specials! Equipment is turned off here.

As a Palutena main, this is a godsend. Now I just need to wait for more people to get on...

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101

I went into Tourney Mode, and now they're offering 1v1 For Glory tournies...with only custom specials! Equipment is turned off here.

As a Palutena main, this is a godsend. Now I just need to wait for more people to get on...
Really? That's awesome! Time to put my wakeywakey/spinphony puff to work!

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191

time to spam Wind Kong and custom Villager for them to be dumbed down. Then there would be no arguments against customs, besides logistical ones.

Raijinken

Smash Master
time to spam Wind Kong and custom Villager for them to be dumbed down. Then there would be no arguments against customs, besides logistical ones.
I hope I run into you so I can punish those hard.

I mean, I have no doubt sufficient players are incapable of countering them that they will end up nerfed (if such is the result of the data collected). But I'm looking forward to the free punishes in any match not lagging like mad.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Question, does the tourney Creaotor finally allow now to separate "Customs on" from "Equipment on", with the new patch? That's the thing that is needed the most if we want to at least try some online Tourney without being afraid of someone barging in with equipment.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Question, does the tourney Creaotor finally allow now to separate "Customs on" from "Equipment on", with the new patch? That's the thing that is needed the most if we want to at least try some online Tourney without being afraid of someone barging in with equipment.
Miracle of miracles, it does.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Miracle of miracles, it does.
Unless I mis-read when looking into the tourney options, that's not an option for player-hosted tourneys, only for Regular tournaments. Got a screenie showing where I overlooked something? (I really really hope you're right and I'm wrong)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Unless I mis-read when looking into the tourney options, that's not an option for player-hosted tourneys, only for Regular tournaments. Got a screenie showing where I overlooked something? (I really really hope you're right and I'm wrong)
My statement is based on secondhand information, not personal experience. Unfortunately. (Tournament mode was honestly pretty low on my list of things to care about.)

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Actually, it's only for hosted Tournament, but that's already a big improvment,

(Custom Special means only Customs on, no equipments)

and the fact that tournaments now allow Stocks matches in For Glory, with Battlefield allowed and With Custom yet without equipment might mean more might be inclined to try it out.

This could be what might popumarize Custom RL tournament. The excuse "The player can't train and aren't used to custom" just doesn't hold anymore.

Now if only Nintendo allowed for users to organize 1Vs1 online torunament

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Lots of characters only had their custom moves patched this time. I was starting to become indifferent to customs, but I really think this means something. Now, if only Sakurai would release all custom moves as $5 DLC...

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Lots of characters only had their custom moves patched this time. I was starting to become indifferent to customs, but I really think this means something. Now, if only Sakurai would release all custom moves as $5 DLC...
Now that would be an abuse of the customers. All the customs are already there, you just need to unlock them.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
Now that would be an abuse of the customers. All the customs are already there, you just need to unlock them.
It's hardly "abuse" if it's a cheap alternative to farming the customs out. It's not like they'd remove the option to get them through the traditional method, anyway.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but I've been more than happy to spend over 5 dollars on external equipment for Smash to enhance my experience.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
While I'd gladly let everyone else money their way out of what I ground two systems for if they'd just shut up about it, I think fixing the unlock system to not include duplicates would be enough.

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
While I'd gladly let everyone else money their way out of what I ground two systems for if they'd just shut up about it, I think fixing the unlock system to not include duplicates would be enough.
I wouldn't really mind a Customs lottery machine with duplicates if it were an actual lottery machine mini-game. Like, the one in Melee. :x

Definitely, though, just removing the possibility to get duplicate customs would be dandy. Equipment makes sense for that kind of thing (they rarely end up with the same stay-spread anyway) but surely it makes sense to remove character-specific enhancements from that kind of design.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I trust you Wii U owners can do a good job at increasing the practical usage of Customs!

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Well yeah, tournament mode has always been bad. 2 stock, not enough time, bo1, single elimination, chances to match up against someone on the other side of the planet with lag, Omega only, not enough options for player created tourneys, Mii Fighters and custom specials not being in the same tourneys... Regardless, the existence of custom special tourneys is pretty important and it will probably be used for collecting data in regards of balancing. And just for the devs to notice that people actually care about customs. Entering a couple of them once in a while can be worth to do.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My scene's TOs decided that Saturday's tournament will feature fully customisable Miis, with the rationale: "You can play with their specials even in customs-off, so it's okay."

Customs will not be on, but there will be side-tournaments in future that feature them: "There isn't enough demand for them, but they're still fun so we'll play with them sometimes."

Why can't every debate be this easily resolved?

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Mostly cause customs supporters are annoying as heck trying to force their preferences over the majority with "logical argument" ignoring the fact that the majority of people don't enjoy them. Idk maybe that's the reason who knows.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Mostly cause customs supporters are annoying as heck trying to force their preferences over the majority with "logical argument" ignoring the fact that the majority of people don't enjoy them. Idk maybe that's the reason who knows.
Says the side succeeding in forcibly killing Customs to further their own preferences.
My scene's TOs decided that Saturday's tournament will feature fully customisable Miis, with the rationale: "You can play with their specials even in customs-off, so it's okay."

Customs will not be on, but there will be side-tournaments in future that feature them: "There isn't enough demand for them, but they're still fun so we'll play with them sometimes."

Why can't every debate be this easily resolved?
Because "time issues" and "not enough tournaments are using Miis yet" and stuff like that.

Lame reasons all of them.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
If someone in my city proposed to me that they wanted a custom event in my tourny and went on to help me with it (since I have my hands full with the bull****-free version of the game) I wouldnt say no them.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm sure you know a lot about "forcing preferences" considering you told Mii players they didn't deserve to have mains in another thread.

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I'm sure you know a lot about "forcing preferences" considering you told Mii players they didn't deserve to have mains in another thread.
I support Miis having all of their moves available and I'm allowing it in my tourny despite many people hating that decision. I just thought that the mii supporters in that thread (mainly wizrad and pegasus knight) were being so freaking annoying in that thread and decided to say so. I don't think I was wrong either.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
"trying to force their preferences over the majority"

Have you looked at the poll above you. That's the thing. The majority want Customs to be on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom