• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Age You Should Be To Quit Smash?

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Latley I've been going to smash tourneys and i've been the oldest one there even though most of the us are in the same generation. I'm 24 and i've been doing this sh*t for 2 years and i'm still underground smasher (mainstream M2k, PC, etc). Anyways, I've been thinking I should put up my sword when i turn 29. But what I have to ask you guys is, what age you feel you want to quit smash or when a person should hang it up.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I've been playing video games competitively since like '95. So I don't think that there's an age to quit any of them as long as you're having fun and there's people to play against.

Linguini

Smash Master
Age doesn't matter. Just quit when you want to.

In yugioh, there are pros that are in their 60's.

Same thing with magic the gathering.
ROFL late 20's kinda acceptable.30's, your still playing games competitivley? then get a life.

30's is bad, but 60? thats just pathetic...and facking weird, imagine having a grandpa playing at your smash tournament, hahaaha

Master Raven

Smash Master
lol I doubt I'll be playing Smash when I'm that old. By then my family will be a much higher priority (pun not intended).

(no, really.)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i used to play magic with this 40 yr old dude across the street.
and then in my old neighborhood I played Goldeney all the time with this guy who had to been like 50, he and his son were beasts in 2v2.

anyway, I'm 23, moogles 24 i think, mookie is 23 i think, there are few people around your age in this area

i'll probably keep playing until I simply don't have time because of real life stuff, or until the scene dies, which ever comes first

if i was a pro halo player making 50k playing games. I'd do that **** for the rest of my life

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
i used to play magic with this 40 yr old dude across the street.
and then in my old neighborhood I played Goldeney all the time with this guy who had to been like 50, he and his son were beasts in 2v2.

anyway, I'm 23, moogles 24 i think, mookie is 23 i think, there are few people around your age in this area

i'll probably keep playing until I simply don't have time because of real life stuff, or until the scene dies, which ever comes first

if i was a pro halo player making 50k playing games. I'd do that **** for the rest of my life
You should play until about 28 after that get a life but if your getting paid for it hell play when you have no dates or anything

pridy

:]
i hope there still will be competitive smash/gaming when im the age of most ppl on the boards

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Hell, I went to a pokemon tourney a couple months ago and demolished the kids there. I was easily double the age of 75% of the kids that entered, but I wanted the prize.

You can take a utilitarian approach, if you feel so uncomfortable that it outweighs the fun you have, then don't go. I don't really understand why you'd want to do that, since most everyone I know that goes to smash tournies nowadays are in their early 20s.

3GOD

Smash Ace
How old is Cort?

I'm 27 years old, work full time teaching college classes, and I'm married. I enjoy many things apart from smash...how does going to a smash tournament from time to time = "at that age, get a life?" Honestly, I don't plan to stop anytime soon. I enjoy playing the game still, so I see no reason why age should be a problem.

Maybe when I have kids I'll have to give it up due to time constraints and obligations, but that's still a little ways down the road.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
I'll stop once too many other priorities in life take over. I'm currently 19, single again, in college.

I'm not familiar with many older smashers, but I do know triple x in the Halo community, is nearing 50. He's an ex pro, and currently coaches pro teams. Pretty intense.

THere was a guy at my old LAN center, retired army and got a retirement fund and everything. He drained hundreds a day just to play games up there.

At CSU right now, there is a guy in our student center, who I swear is breaking 40, and he plays 2 WoW accounts at the same time (2 dif laptops).

o.O

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
me and Rohins are both 25.

but yeah, sometimes I feel kind of old. Not too often though cause you kids are too fun.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I was thikin about quitin, but looking at these comments made me chage my mind a little. Its just I'm bout to start school in Jan. My car has bout 300,000 miles on it, I need a new one and I'm a have to keep the old one because i need itr to go work for preventing from putting to many miles on the new car . That car has liability and the other car is gonna need full coverage. Im gonna move out when i graduate from school(hopefully). At least that was the plan. So im gonna have to save cash. I'm goona try to save $100 a week. Smash just sees to be in the way, I gonna go to a tourney once every two months, maybe that'll work out.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
u meen the tourney in tuscaloosa? Maybe, i was gonna try to go GA's melee tourney.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
u meen the tourney in tuscaloosa? Maybe, i was gonna try to go GA's melee tourney.
He means the birmingham tourney. You can quit when I quit Ragnarock, because you not playing anymore while I playing would suck. :(

PS You better beat all those GA and FL people in Tippered Off 3. If you can't go there, then please try to go to the Tuscaloosa tourney cause I miss you already. <3

Top Bottom