• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What 5 characters take the most skill?

Lizard

Smash Ace
C fal as a character as far a moveset goes, don;t take a lot of skill. Its the fact that his move are highly out prioritized, and he can be hard to get a kill with.

C fal players must play smart and use mindgames to play him well. they must also take risks to get kills, such as side b spikes and up b off the edge.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Characters aren't hard to use in Brawl.

In no particular order:

Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Link, Samus.

Also, @ Snowstalker

I assume you have never heard of QAC or Arrow Looping. Pit and Pikachu actually take technical skill.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord

In no particular order:

Also, @ Snowstalker

I assume you have never heard of QAC or Arrow Looping. Pit and Pikachu actually take technical skill.
Thank You!
Captain Falcon takes almost no skill whatsoever.

Riku00

Smash Ace
No particular order

Captain Falcon(yes, it does take skill)
Link(So many set ups)
Snake(Oh how I despise good Snake mains)
Pit(It just takes certain skills to use him)
Ice Climbers(Learning the CG takes skill and when you do...it's on like DONKEY KONG)

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
IC
Sonic
Olimar
Snake (to a point)
Manly CF needs skill and a prayer...

t3h n00b

Smash Ace

In no particular order:

Also, @ Snowstalker

Seriously. Pretty much all of these characters are hard to use. I only use Falcon out of them, and whenever I get one of these when I play as random, I have trouble. All of these characters were nerfed from Melee, and Link and Samus weren't that good there anyway. Arrow Looping is not that difficult, and while it looks cool, I've only seen it used in a match once-and it didn't hit.

krpao

Smash Rookie
Ganondork, jiggy, yoshi, samus (i don't feel biased about this one. learning her was a challenge), and..

*headscratch*

yep. cap'n falcon.

Sheik: Sheik has many of the tools I would think are necessary to do well, but their difficult to properly utilize. Sheik has enough trouble killing that a person has to be creative to get kills with her. I think in order to play Sheik to her potential you have to be thinking a lot more than any other character I can think of. You have to be able to trick your opponent and especially get them off stage and gimp them while still being able to get back to the stage yourself. While not necessarily ATs she has a lot of little tricks to learn before you can bring her to her full potential.
not to be rude, but i don't buy that at all. the first time i played her i did extremely well. the second and third times? once i realized that her grabs chain into every one of her attacks and that they're all pretty much instant (barring her f-smash and over-b), i realized how absurdly cake she is. i'd label her as one of the easiest characters to play, right next to ike (though i'd consider him harder so long as the person playing doesn't spam eruption and his other mega armor attacks).

bribri123123

Smash Ace

In no particular order:

Also, @ Snowstalker

No. Some charries are harder to use. Pit, for example...
It is hard to get over his spam

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
C fal as a character as far a moveset goes, don;t take a lot of skill. Its the fact that his move are highly out prioritized, and he can be hard to get a kill with.

C fal players must play smart and use mindgames to play him well. they must also take risks to get kills, such as side b spikes and up b off the edge.
he has the best slide skills too, distanceing his sliding grabs/jabs/tilts/usmash is key as well

EDIT:also weegee, could have more mad skills, he's the best level 9 and takeing advantage of his slipperyness makes for great mindgames

if you try to shield slide its an instant stop

he can wave land, u can mind game this to make people think its wavedashing

and finally, his best feature.....

.....SHORYUKEN!!!!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why the hell are so many people saying Olimar?
Agreed. Olimar is almost as easy to learn as Mr. Game and Watch. I used to categorise him on an "average" learning curve based on the differences of the Pikmin but, overtime, I've learned that it's not really all that important to his game and is pretty easy to learn otherwise. White for pummels, blue and purple for grabs, red and yellow for Smash attacks. Yehaw! :laugh:

Hive

Smash Lord
I think ICs would be pretty hard if people actually used more of their potential in a match :(... so imo they are very hard to reach their full potential with, but in actual gameplay a lot of times they end up fairly easy bc many times ics will sacrifice much of their normal gameplay to focus on grabs.... which are fairly hard to time, I know, but imo they are easier than actually playing and getting that same amount of damage. (it makes no sense to desynch ice blocks or whatever and then grab the person for a stock, if you can just grab the person from the beginning an obtain the same result. I think is why a lot of their potential doesn't get used normally competitively against many characters)

not sure who would be the hardest though @.@ i guess it depends on if you are looking at getting to a competitive level or potential tech skill

Panix

Smash Ace
In no order:

Hardest to MASTER:

Diddy
Snake
IC
falco
Pika

Hardest to USE:

CF
Yoshi
Ganon
Ice climbers
Snake

DyranMahBoooiii

Smash Cadet
1. Link
2. Captain Falcon
3. Ike
4. Bowser
5. Sonic

Link just has a whole lot of AT's, (I thought I could do all of them, then I found out there was still two more), Captain Falcon has a pretty bad moveset, Ike is slow as snail, Bowser is just.. And Sonic is too fast.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
1. Link
2. Captain Falcon
3. Ike
4. Bowser
5. Sonic

Link just has a whole lot of AT's, (I thought I could do all of them, then I found out there was still two more), Captain Falcon has a pretty bad moveset, Ike is slow as snail, Bowser is just.. And Sonic is too fast.
Just because captain falcon is bad doesn't mean it's hard to play him to his full potential. And Ike is probably one of the easiest! He's slow, but beginners can easily make use of his straightforward moveset and super armor on his up b.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
1) Pokemon Trainer
2) Pokemon Trainer
3) Pokemon Trainer
4) Pokemon Trainer
5) Pokemon Trainer
I agree with this. I was wondering "what character DOES take the most skill?" until I saw that, and I was like yeah, probably PT.

1. melee Kirby, simply because he sucked so much :p
Oh god, so unbelievably true. Melee Kirby is harder to use (and win with) than any freaking character in Smash history. Pichu's better imo. And Mewtwo.

I think this question should be reworded a little better...like, "What character is hardest to win with" or something. None of them particularly take tons of skill. You might say "zomg Ice Climbers" but I say there is a difference between skill, and muscle memory.

And I'm in shock at the number of people thinking Snake truly takes skill. >_>
In terms of "winning" that's a definite no. In terms of "taking skill" then... maybe...but I still don't see it.

Monkey Wrench

Smash Apprentice
In no order:
Diddy: Naners, nuff said.

PT: He's three characters. That's three movesets to learn, three playstyles to learn, etc.

ICs: CGs and desynchs.

Pika: QAC, edgeguards, and some minor tricks make him tougher to master than many characters.

Sonic, Yoshi, PT and Link(and some others) are more difficult to use than most, but offer less reward for reaching high levels of play.

Dedede's metagame is advancing, but I wouldn't call him hard to master or use...yet. His few ATs are trivial(i.e Jet Hammer Shuffle) and he's an easy character to learn the basics of(CG, bair, u-tilt, etc.) but to use him to his fullest requires a reasonable amount of experience and skill.

Kaitou Ace

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe how no one thinks ZSS is hard @_@ There's so much to learn like how to control her recovery abilities, what to do with suit pieces, how to combo and getting the kill. Most people will probably be like "lulz sideb" but there's so much more to her than that @_@

Yuan Ka-Fai

Smash Rookie
1) Pokemon Trainer - same reasons as Monkey Wrench
2) Bowser - so. slow.
3) Ganondorf - They absolutely nerfed him in terms of speed in this game
4) Marth - Must learn spacing as well as how to slowly chip away at opponent and to stay alive at 100% or more.
5) Olimar - Impossible to use without his pikmin and even then, it is difficult to get a KO with him consistently. (At least for me that is)

joeismann

Smash Rookie
1.ness
2.lucas
3. ganondorf
4.kirby
5.picachu
ness and lucus are at the top becaus whenever i use PK thunder n00bily make the thunder go randomly across the screen kirby because most the time im trying to suck up people while everyone else beats the **** out of me

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
[1.] Captain Falcon: He has a weak move set, and implementing that into a successful game strategy takes skill, trust me from experience...

[2.] Fox McCloud: Particularly, this character needs a complete revamp in strategy to succeed in this game, with the excessive nerfing and lack of wavedashing, it can be exceptionally challenging to use him.

[3.] Link: The lack of recovery can be avoided by certain techniques, but its hard to master.

[4.] Ganondorf: Exceptionally powerful but lacking in a good amount of available combos... Need to really train in reaction time and develop a great strategy to use him.

[5.] PK Trainer: It took me a very long time to get really good with him. The constant character changes, mixed with awful recovery abilities, give users a challenge to develop unique combos and strategies... Out of the 3, Ivysaur can be pretty hard to use, but once you can you him , the others are easier to master.

Ridley5000

Smash Apprentice
1. meta knight if u dont want to be a ***** and just spam. it actuallly takes time to figure him out and make him the best character
2. ike since he is so slow but lighter than heavier peoplle fast than him (like bowser), u hav to focus on his counter and ariel attacks since they're his fastest
3. lucario is pretty complicated since he is so unbalanced
4. ness, because he doesnt jump as high as lucas and it can get pretty annoying when u keep missing yourself usiong his lightning bolt
5. the up special of all the starfox characters

i dont know why some people are saying stuff like link, yoshi, and ice climbers

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
1. meta knight if u dont want to be a ***** and just spam. it actuallly takes time to figure him out and make him the best character
2. ike since he is so slow but lighter than heavier peoplle fast than him (like bowser), u hav to focus on his counter and ariel attacks since they're his fastest
3. lucario is pretty complicated since he is so unbalanced
4. ness, because he doesnt jump as high as lucas and it can get pretty annoying when u keep missing yourself usiong his lightning bolt
5. the up special of all the starfox characters

i dont know why some people are saying stuff like link, yoshi, and ice climbers
that is the wrongest wrong to ever wrong heres why for each in numerical order

1. thats impossible mks entire moveset=spam, in fact by selecting mk u have ALREADY spammed
2. arials and counter are really easy to do
3. lucario is mewtwo in ninja henceforth he shud be easy to master
4. only noobs miss pk thunder recoveries
5. see post 4 change pk thunder to fox fire

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
1) Pokemon Trainer
2) Pokemon Trainer
3) Pokemon Trainer
4) Pokemon Trainer
5) Pokemon Trainer
Going to just agree with this, but also add, below that :

Sonic
Bowser
Any of those low-tier folks, and a couple higher up. (Not sure who right now, not Snake though, the only thing you have to really worry about is mortar sliding, but that doesn't take MUCH skill)

Top Bottom