• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s your worst habit?

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
The biggest problem that I have is that I tend to throw out attacks more than I should. Then again, this could also sort of be a problem with the general input lag; I use a wireless pro controller and a non-CRT TV, so most of the time, I have to predict where the enemy's gonna be.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Rolling towards an incoming smash attack and taking the hit. This was also a habit in Smash 4 and I still can’t seem to break it.

Doing forward smash attacks when I was actually going for forward tilts.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Full Charge Shot away from stage just enough were I can't recover correctly. Felt like it was much easier to do in previous games, but this one is just a death sentence.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Rolling towards an incoming smash attack and taking the hit. This was also a habit in Smash 4 and I still can’t seem to break it.

I have a similar problem of dashing when I meant to walk.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I over rely on Double Jump as my combo breaker. I didn't have that bad habit in Smash 4 since I was comfortable using air dodges as a mix up, and because losing my second jump wasn't that risky when you play a character with a triple jump. Now that I'm playing Squirt and Ivy though there's far more risk in being carried offstage without an extra jump. I need to mix up my escape options more.

I also tend to forget that Squirtle can use aerials to combo break. After maining Zard for so long I'm not used to playing characters with such good frame data.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I get more tense as the game goes on.

When I'm relaxed, I do really well.

But when I get into UBER COMPETITIVE MUST WIN mode I just get way too risky for my own good.

I need to learn to keep a cool head.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Challenging attacks that will surely kill me.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
When I try to gimp somebody I fast fall like a ******* and die
For me, its definitely getting punished for shielding too much or rolling. Like OP said in the first post, I would roll after a missed grounded attack or aerial. Dashing is huge. Dash dancing is kinda frustrating in this game though. It seems like you cant really dash dance like you could in Melee. Idk how Sm4sh was or Brawl was. So now, I just kinda foxtrot back n forth instead.
As far as bad habits go, I'm usually way too focused on offense and forget to shield/dodge almost constantly. It's terrible and I've been trying to focus on correcting it recently.
Trying to defend myself against Ganondorf's side B with shield.

But when I get into UBER COMPETITIVE MUST WIN mode I just get way too risky for my own good.

Challenging attacks that will surely kill me.
I don't edgeguard very effectively; in fact, most of the time, I end up not edgeguarding at all.
I... uh... I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of all of these. I think I may need a tutor, lol.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Probably doing Shorthop instead of Fullhop during some situations, and vice versa. It's probably me not used to the controls since I use the double joycon with the screen in the middle. There's also certain characters I encounter that likely get me paranoid fast to the point where I'm too defensive, or feel aggressive when I should be patient or a bit more aggressive depending on situations. I also have a tendency to shield and wait for the opponent's move, but it also has made me have a sheer hatred for grab spam and kill throws. Grab spam by opponent likely would make me extra defensive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not knowing how neutral and disadvantage states work. In the former, I find myself focusing on racking up damage and getting kills without caring much for defense. I also always opt for smash attacks to KO an opponent, with varying results.

In the latter, I somehow can't get back to the stage or climb a ledge without moving into a homed-in kill move. I always roll and air dodge to prevent going into disadvantage, but these psychic kill moves...

Another thing: when someone flies offstage, I always try to jump after them and edgeguard/gimp, only to end up SD'ing, even as characters with great recoveries. When an opponent successfully does this to me, I feel malice.

Am I playing too aggressively? Too cowardly? Learning this game is a lot more difficult than I thought and it's lowering my morale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I rarely grab after i shield and use to much smash attacks. Just to name two of the many bad habits I’ve got in my arsenal.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not knowing how neutral and disadvantage states work. In the former, I find myself focusing on racking up damage and getting kills without caring much for defense. I also always opt for smash attacks to KO an opponent, with varying results.

In the latter, I somehow can't get back to the stage or climb a ledge without moving into a homed-in kill move. I always roll and air dodge to prevent going into disadvantage, but these psychic kill moves...

Another thing: when someone flies offstage, I always try to jump after them and edgeguard/gimp, only to end up SD'ing, even as characters with great recoveries. When an opponent successfully does this to me, I feel malice.

Am I playing too aggressively? Too cowardly? Learning this game is a lot more difficult than I thought and it's lowering my morale.
Methinks you might be trying to learn too much at once. Pace yourself, I'm only good at Smash caused I played it religiously since I was a wee lad.

That said I do think you have a misunderstanding of how neutral, advantage and disadvantage works.

Look at it this way..

Neutral :when you and your opponent are trying to get one good hit, either to kill or to combo

Advantage : when you get the hit and it puts you in a good position, either when the opponent is trying to come back to safety or when you are combing someone

Disadvantage: when you are trying to escape to safety

Scuzzy

Smash Rookie
Being way too agressive. Usually I'll go super agro, get punished, and totally forget about watching my opponent to see what they're doing. Basically I get mad tunnel vision for landing a certain few moves at a time. It really doesn't help my melee style was "hit more buttons than the opponent".

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Landing on top of my opponent with an aerial. It's like they have a magnet stuck to them that draws me closer.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I tend to use Wario's bike a lot in neutral when the opponent can just easily hit me off it.

I also tend to use Dr. Mario's down-B a lot as well.

Big Squeeze

Smash Rookie
When getting hit far off stage I always immediately use my double jump to get out of the tumble animation when instead I should just being using fair so I can recover low.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I always down-throw after a grab. Every single time, even at high %. Most of my grabs are completely useless because of it.

Hopefully someday I stop that

kimohno

Smash Rookie
Backrolling like a ******. Also standing still when fighting a defensiv character.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422

I highly recommend reading "The Inner Game of Tennis". Its about tennis, but you can apply all concepts to smash or any other competitive play!

TeamChevy86

Smash Rookie
Mine is definitely rolling or dodging needlessly instead of knowing my shield should/could have taken the hit.
When I'm playing my main man Bowser I'm too predictable in the air with down A or down B. I'm good at mixing up my attacks and grabs on the ground but when I'm in the air I flail around and take way more damage than I should.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Not edge guarding. I'm scared I'll kill myself. I also play :ultincineroar: and :ultlittlemac: so that whole area of the stage is just death.

Not noticing the person I faced put it on 1 stock to cheese the match and not playing careful enough at the start.

Having more trouble against certain spammers than I should, especially :ultcloud: who basically have me on a leash for the entire match as I eat every projectile or slash attack specials he uses.

Tether grabs have all been a bane to me, get past the :ultdarksamus: or :ultyounglink: bullet hell to get... chain grabbed and thrown back for more arrows, bombs, missiles, and boomerangs to be thrown/shot.

And not knowing what some new characters or changed kits from Brawl era are and eating like... Corrin's I stab the ground then kick your face in attack often since I forget that's even a move.

Picking Little Mac.
I hit 3 million with him, love the guy. Everyone keeps hating on him though so we'll see if he survives the purging of the next game cause his popularity will probably sink low. :<

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I have a few bad habits I'm still trying to overcome:
1) Dropping shield too early against attacks with long-lasting hitboxes (e.g. Rob's side special)
2) Losing track of which way my character will be facing after a certain movement and doing an attack in the wrong direction allowing my opponent an easy punish from behind me
3) Going through Lucina's full side special every time even if the first hit doesn't connect or, related to #2, when facing the wrong direction

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I jump way too much. I throw out smash attacks a lot too when I can’t think of anything else to do, especially when I’m panicking. I guess teching in place is bad too, so I should probably roll instead.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I have a knack for trying to tech too early and airdodging right above the ground instead. I haven't yet found myself in a situation where this mistake gets me smacked off the stage, thankfully...

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
That one kind of gets me too but I force myself not to use it and physically short hop than input the aerial. It’s also impossible to do fast fall short hop aerials with the new mechanic so you’re missing out on hitting smaller characters. I hate that they put this in the game because it’s just a bad habit creater
Better to learn which situations to use the short cut method vs which ones require a normal short hop followed by attack. For example, the new short cut method is vastly superior for punishing out of shield or for doing a rising short hop attack instead of a falling attack.

Get comfortable with both methods is my recommendation.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I was playing with a friend last night and he called out another one. He said a lot of that time I’ll burn my double jump too early and it’s really easy to read and punish. This probably isn’t as big a thing against people I don’t play a lot because they’re not conditioned to look for it but against this one friend who I play all the time he was having a field day with out

Top Bottom