• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What’s your worst habit?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So one really bad habit I had that was really hard to break was rolling backwards in neutral. I would roll backwards everytime I sheilded an attack, everytime I wiffed, and sometimes even when I landed an attack. It took a lot of effort but I broke that one and it improved my play a ton. What are some bad habits you guys had or have that you broke or are trying to break?

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
So one really bad habit I had that was really hard to break was rolling backwards in neutral. I would roll backwards everytime I sheilded an attack, everytime I wiffed, and sometimes even when I landed an attack. It took a lot of effort but I broke that one and it improved my play a ton. What are some bad habits you guys had or have that you broke or are trying to break?
Congrats for breaking that habit, I'm still working on taking care of that one. I roll far too often and I'm really bad at evasive movement (I rely on shield more than I should). I'm currently working on breaking both of those habits. I'm also working on not throwing out an aerial every time I short hop.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Congrats for breaking that habit, I'm still working on taking care of that one. I roll far too often and I'm really bad at evasive movement (I rely on shield more than I should). I'm currently working on breaking both of those habits. I'm also working on not throwing out an aerial every time I short hop.
What helped me is everytime I wanted to roll I told myself to either throw out an attack or dash. Once I really focused on dashing and dash dancing it changed how I played enough to break the habit. It didn’t work everytime but eventually with enough practice and analysis I got it down. Yeah short hopping without throwing out an attack can be really useful for baiting

D

Deleted member

I keep whiffing my whiff punishes so then somebody ends up whiff punishing my whiffed whiff punish

...I should stop trying to F-Smash punish everything tbh

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I keep whiffing my whiff punishes so then somebody ends up whiff punishing my whiffed whiff punish

The F-Smash habit seems to be a popular one especially with certain characters like sword characters. The thing is you don’t get punished for it at lower level play and then you get into high level play and you’ll get absolutely wrecked. Try using your tilts and aerials more. That’s what helps me. Also set the c-stick to tilt so you don’t have a instant smash trigger

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The F-Smash habit seems to be a popular one especially with certain characters like sword characters. The thing is you don’t get punished for it at lower level play and then you get into high level play and you’ll get absolutely wrecked. Try using your tilts and aerials more. That’s what helps me
Yeah I keep thinking that I have too much range for them to punish me, especially when I use Shulk or Chrom, and then I get an aerial or jab in my face. I should try to use tilts and such more then just throwing out Smashes hoping to get an early cheese kill.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
my worst habit is that i am to offensive at times..it's such a bad habit at times and it happens more on my bad days/when i am kinda angry/upset for whatever reason lol

that is why i found this 2 matches i had against the same Ridley online with Daisy so ironic..in my first match i was to offensive and i literally got bodied..but we had a rematch and i tried to force myself to play less offensive and more defensely while trying to figure out when to attack and guess what?..the Ridley player got completely bodied this time haha so proud of myself!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Yeah I keep thinking that I have too much range for them to punish me, especially when I use Shulk or Chrom, and then I get an aerial or jab in my face. I should try to use tilts and such more then just throwing out Smashes hoping to get an early cheese kill.
Yeah, especially with Shulk and Chrom who have great aerials. Everytime you’re thinking of f smashing with Chrom try short hop fairing or nairing. Also dtilt and ftilt with Chrom are where it’s at. Shulk has that great nair too. I don’t think this one will be too hard to break

D

Deleted member

Yeah, especially with Shulk and Chrom who have great aerials. Everytime you’re thinking of f smashing with Chrom try short hop fairing or nairing. Also dtilt and ftilt with Chrom are where it’s at. Shulk has that great nair too. I don’t think this one will be too hard to break
Thanks for the tips! I'll do my best.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Relying WAY too much on the new short hop fair mechanic, to the point that, even though it's mostly safe, my approach is way too predictable and it's no longer a reliable kill move until they're way too high of a percentage and offstage.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Relying WAY too much on the new short hop fair mechanic, to the point that, even though it's mostly safe, my approach is way too predictable and it's no longer a reliable kill move until they're way too high of a percentage and offstage.
That one kind of gets me too but I force myself not to use it and physically short hop than input the aerial. It’s also impossible to do fast fall short hop aerials with the new mechanic so you’re missing out on hitting smaller characters. I hate that they put this in the game because it’s just a bad habit creater

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That one kind of gets me too but I force myself not to use it and physically short hop than input the aerial. It’s also impossible to do fast fall short hop aerials with the new mechanic so you’re missing out on hitting smaller characters. I hate that they put this in the game because it’s just a bad habit creater
Absolutely. Particularly as Zelda, I have a hard time against Pichus and the like without that FFSH mechanic. But bigger characters are so easy to hit that I've developed such a bad habit of fairing all over the place. Way too predictable.

The other part of it is that I play a lot of Quickplay, and the GSP system matches you with people all over the place in skill, so the matches where those short hops keep hitting just reinforces the habit. 'Cause it's working.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
What helped me is everytime I wanted to roll I told myself to either throw out an attack or dash. Once I really focused on dashing and dash dancing it changed how I played enough to break the habit. It didn’t work everytime but eventually with enough practice and analysis I got it down. Yeah short hopping without throwing out an attack can be really useful for baiting
That's a good idea, I'm going to focus this next week on dashing or throwing out an attack instead of rolling.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Absolutely. Particularly as Zelda, I have a hard time against Pichus and the like without that FFSH mechanic. But bigger characters are so easy to hit that I've developed such a bad habit of fairing all over the place. Way too predictable.

The other part of it is that I play a lot of Quickplay, and the GSP system matches you with people all over the place in skill, so the matches where those short hops keep hitting just reinforces the habit. 'Cause it's working.
Exactly that’s the problem with playing people worse than you. It’s really easy to reinforce bad habits. I use the new short fair mechanic on Ness’s fair chains because it works perfectly but nothing other than that

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
That's a good idea, I'm going to focus this next week on dashing or throwing out an attack instead of rolling.
It really helped me. The thing is rolling backwards in neutral isn’t necessarily bad if you use it once or twice in a game but if you’re using it all the time it becomes super punishable

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
facing the wrong way with young Link. Like shooting arrows the wronge direction aftering jumping.

D

Deleted member

Another bad habit I have is throwing out Chrom's slow af dash attack instead of run-up f-tilt. Luckily I'm starting to master sliding tilts and implementing them in my matches so I can start to use sliding f-tilt for msot things and save dash attack for roll punishing and other punish situations.

Perfect patricia

Smash Apprentice
What character do you use?
Peach and daisy mostly, I don’t realize what character I’m playing sometimes and get to greedy for the kills, even worse I use characters with good recoveries but I end up fast falling into the blast zone lmao

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm far, far too reliant on ROB's side b. I know it got buffed this game, but I'll often do it at inappropriate times and then get punished for it (usually with a grab). I know it gets me into trouble but I keep on doing it out of habit. I think it reflects a more general predictability in my choice of moves and inability to find the right response for the right occasion.

D

Deleted member

Peach and daisy mostly, I don’t realize what character I’m playing sometimes and get to greedy for the kills, even worse I use characters with good recoveries but I end up fast falling into the blast zone lmao
O ya stuff like that is deadly for Peach and Daisy but while you're trying to fix the habit just go for the gimps with the turnips or float over the ledge and use dair

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I'm far, far too reliant on ROB's side b. I know it got buffed this game, but I'll often do it at inappropriate times and then get punished for it (usually with a grab). I know it gets me into trouble but I keep on doing it out of habit. I think it reflects a more general predictability in my choice of moves and inability to find the right response for the right occasion.
I’ll PK Fire that every time. It’s such a good move and it’s important to keep it fresh so you can pull it out when you need it. It wins games that way

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I have a bad knack for airdodging immediately after being launched. This really doesn't help me dodge things...

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
My worst habit is being too predictable. When I find a move or combo that I really like, sometimes I use it too much and the enemy finds a way to counter it. I've been getting better with that fortunately. I also struggle with gimping.

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet

My exact problem, too. It's a terrible habit, and one that I always seem to repeat.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I have a bad knack for airdodging immediately after being launched. This really doesn't help me dodge things...
I do this too because somebody told me in Brawl it stops your momentum and helps you DI. Well now I know that’s not true. I’ve pretty much broken this one but I still do it once in a while

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I do this too because somebody told me in Brawl it stops your momentum and helps you DI. Well now I know that’s not true. I’ve pretty much broken this one but I still do it once in a while
Actually, in Brawl, airdodging after being launched canceled your hitstun; it didn't cancel your momentum directly, but it allowed you to do something else that would. This made hitstun in Brawl effectively cap at 13 frames (the minimum amount of time before you could airdodge out of hitstun (the minimum time before you can use an aerial out of hitstun is 25 frames)), which is why Brawl is considered so combo-unfriendly. Hitstun canceling was dramatically weakened for Smash 4 (with the minimum frame threshold for being allowed to do so being dependent on things like knockback velocity); I’m not sure if hitstun canceling is a thing in Ultimate or how strong or weak it is if it exists, but in any case, the limitations on airdodging in Ultimate (as opposed to being able to repeatedly airdodge in Brawl and Smash 4) means that airdodging to (try to) hitstun cancel just hinders your ability to actually dodge things.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Actually, in Brawl, airdodging after being launched canceled your hitstun; it didn't cancel your momentum directly, but it allowed you to do something else that would. This made hitstun in Brawl effectively cap at 13 frames (the minimum amount of time before you could airdodge out of hitstun (the minimum time before you can use an aerial out of hitstun is 25 frames)), which is why Brawl is considered so combo-unfriendly. Hitstun canceling was dramatically weakened for Smash 4 (with the minimum frame threshold for being allowed to do so being dependent on things like knockback velocity); I’m not sure if hitstun canceling is a thing in Ultimate or how strong or weak it is if it exists, but in any case, the limitations on airdodging in Ultimate (as opposed to being able to repeatedly airdodge in Brawl and Smash 4) means that airdodging to (try to) hitstun cancel just hinders your ability to actually dodge things.
Ok that makes sense. That’s where I picked up the habit from because when I could spam airdodge in Brawl it didn’t matter

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
Two things, actually.

1: I jump out of shield WAY too often. Almost every time I'm done shielding, I'll jump instead of doing literally anything else.

2: I almost never edgeguard. I even let Mac players get back for free... As Ridley. It's pretty bad, and I need to learn to do it more. Now of course there are times where you shouldn't: Against teleportation characters like Zelda, for example.

Another one is that my ledge coverage is terrible, but that's more of a learning thing and not a habit.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Two things, actually.

1: I jump out of shield WAY too often. Almost every time I'm done shielding, I'll jump instead of doing literally anything else.

2: I almost never edgeguard. I even let Mac players get back for free... As Ridley. It's pretty bad, and I need to learn to do it more. Now of course there are times where you shouldn't: Against teleportation characters like Zelda, for example.

Another one is that my ledge coverage is terrible, but that's more of a learning thing and not a habit.
Edgeguarding isn’t hard to get the hang of at all. You’ve just gotta get out there and start attempting it. Read your opponents recovery patterns a couple times first if you want and then go out and throw around your weight as Ridley. You might die a bunch at first but that’s fine because once you get it down you’ll be a much better player for it

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I might go for a move (normally a Special), and if it fails I'll keep on trying it until it succeeds. Examples of this are spamming Wario's Chomp or Ridley's Skewer until it hits.

I also need to learn how to tech upon hitting a wall or ceiling, as that has screwed me over a few times.

Upon returning to Sm4sh I've learnt to use aerials, grabs and rolls, and since I've started playing Ultimate, I've learnt to both Tech upon landing and Ledge Guard properly, so I'm hoping the above two habits are one that I can also break out of.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
For me, its definitely getting punished for shielding too much or rolling. Like OP said in the first post, I would roll after a missed grounded attack or aerial. Dashing is huge. Dash dancing is kinda frustrating in this game though. It seems like you cant really dash dance like you could in Melee. Idk how Sm4sh was or Brawl was. So now, I just kinda foxtrot back n forth instead.

YVY

Smash Rookie
As far as bad habits go, I'm usually way too focused on offense and forget to shield/dodge almost constantly. It's terrible and I've been trying to focus on correcting it recently.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
As far as bad habits go, I'm usually way too focused on offense and forget to shield/dodge almost constantly. It's terrible and I've been trying to focus on correcting it recently.
I think something that will really help fix that habit is focusing on what your opponents doing and play around that rather than going straight kamikaze without keeping your opponent or anything else in mind. The more you watch your opponent the more you’ll be able to react to their offensive game plan

Top Bottom