• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Western New York Upcoming Tournies/Smashfests

Shiri

Smash Chump
Chipped Vinyl...

:017: I hate to sound like a broken record, but, like I said, "I won't be able to join you guys..." When I said I was gonna be busy, I meant it. Things are starting to pick up for me academically...I haven't been able to play Smash, even by myself, in a HOT minute. YOU guys are the ones that are gonna be free to Smash. YOU guys should decide when you wanna play. It's be kinda weird for someone who won't even be present to plan an event and expect people to follow his schedule. When you guys are free and can all agree on when you wanna do this, let me know...maybe three days to a week in advance. I can hook you guys up.

My bad if I'm sounding rude. o_O The internet has this bad habit of turning assertiveness into homo-gayness. But yeah, scheduling around myself, like you suggested, wouldn't work since I simply won't have time to play until after Independence Day weekend. Sorry. ^_^

Shiri

Smash Chump
:017: AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

That's awfully nice. ^_^ But yeah, if you guys wanna get together anytime before then, just let me know.

TWP

Smash Ace
Shiri YOU are the man!

You know I'll probably get ahold of Kubuu again and we can work out sometime for most if not all of the smashers around here to get together. Defidentally looking foreward to WNY Smashfest Rnd 2. Hopefully more details to come...

And on a side note - there are rochester smash crew vids on the hub, or you can get them from em on AIM at rahfulol.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
real tourney...

I know that I may be bringing this up very early, but we should start making some plans toward a somewhat major tourney in the fall. We really need to make sure that once the fall semester for most major colleges in WNY begins, there will be a tourney that will bring most of the major smashers out there. I mean, I've been somewhat bringing my game up, and I haven't really made myself known in WNY, even though I have raised some attention here in NYC. I mean, WNY is my home away from home, since I'm up there most of the year for school. Kubuu knows how tight the smash community is in NYC, and I kinda want the same thing for WNY. I mean, of course it's gonna be a trip for most people to get together, but Rochester is definitely right in the center of WNY, so I'm sure that the RIT guys want people to stop over and smash. I know that I'm willing to make the trip there, and would be willing to help out in any "official" tournament set-up, since I have some experience helping out DA with some tourneys. Since you RIT dudes are up there now, maybe you should look into bigger places to hold a tourney, just in case people wanna do something somewhat big and official. I would like a big tourney around there, with around 40-ish people, with a solid prize (if not cash). Well, I'm just spreadin' the word, just in case the thought's been stewing in the mind of others smashers...:006:

Shiri

Smash Chump
I Hate Smashboards!

:017: Okay...I just had a whole jump-off written here, and Smashboards turns it to ish.

Good Game, Smashboards!

Okay, I am WAY too pissed right now to retype all of what I was gonna, so I'ma do the down-n-dirty basics.

ATTENTION EVERYONE!
We all want a Battle for Western New York! The beginning of fall classes is PERFECT for drawing out Smash players. Since it's never too early to plan these things, let me go over some resources that I know of in the Rochester area. Hopefully, we can come to a decision if people really want this to go down. Keep in mind, I've never been to a tourney (I don't think Alt.X counts), so what is involved in RUNNING one may be far beyond my scope. Please feel free to educate me (Smashboards, if you choke on me one more time...I'ma KILL YOU...). Okay. Here's what we can do...

(Updates are denoted by asterisks)

EDIT...

Eff this nonsense! Go visit the thread with the tourney info!

That's all the places I can think of. I want this whole thing to go down as much as you all do, but we're ALL gonna have to work if we want to see this thing fruition. Get people to COME TO THE BOARDS and give either FEEDBACK, SUPPORT, or BOTH! Let me know what you guys think, and we can start things rolling.

lionheart1

Smash Ace
rofl - my basement

ub will have a fall tourney as usual which gets about 40 people, but isnt a cash prize. *well not until me or alexi becomes prez!*
we could keep the whole money thing on the down low because that place sounds like the shiz. alright here we go.

there are almost monthly tournies at this place called cyberjocks around here but they have not decided to give cash prizes yet. the chances of winning are great because the competition is pretty weak.

smashfest tuesday july 5 @ my house

pm me in advance for where i live etc. if you want to come because it helps to know whose can come. time will probably be around 2 ish!
-tim

Shiri

Smash Chump
x_x

:017: Sorry I can't make it, Tim. That's my last week of class. >_<

However, I am liking your Cyberjocks / UB ideas. I will update my previous post. More people MUST provide lots of FEEDBACK! Rawr!

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
I believe the UB student union is open during the summer, so we'll probably be able to set something up there before the classes begin in September.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
the rundown...

Well Shiri, it sounds like you've done a solid job gettin' started on this thing. First off, aside from the tournament set-up and whatnot, we HAVE to make sure that we can get the turnout that would make this a sizeable tourney. I know that with the hard planning that will most likely come from this, we don't want it returned with disappointing attendance. Since you guys are right there in the thick of things, start asking around campus/Rochester, to estimate exactly how many people will be interested in this. I know that in my campus in Geneseo, I can probably snag about 5-10 people, depending on the details of this tourney (entrance fee if any, prize). And coming from a small campus, that's a really good number. If you guys can confirm a good number of people, then that's the most important thing.

As for the actual planning of tournament stuff, I wanna know if actual money tourneys (entrance fee, money prize) are allowed on your campus, Shiri. We certainly don't want to get you into any trouble for a tourney. If that's not allowed, then if you're willing to do something like an "undercover" tourney, where the issue of money will not be disclosed at the actual tournament but at another place (boards), then that'll be just fine. If we have to, we can even label the tournament "The Ninja Battle for WNY," you know, to give it the covert feeling. I think the appeal of a real money tournament will be much better than a tourney where only the students of a certain campus will be rewarded well (looking at you, Buffalo). It will weed out the casual players, yet will draw the appeal of smashers really looking to test themselves. I'm telling you, if there's a real purpose for smashing (great prize or just money), the level of smashing will be much higher. I know that Kubuu's really looking forward to something major like the tourneys down in NYC that we've been to together, so this would definitely be something he's down for.

Shiri: Man, you're really doing an awesome job with this so far, and once we find out the little details/technicalities of setting up a legitimate tourney, we can really get the ball rolling. I'd go for focusing your time on getting the biggest possible place, and a cafeteria area would sound just fine. I'm sure that smashers from campus can support with TV's and GC's if necessary. I hate to lay such a big responsibility on you, but since you're up there right now and in the thick of things, maybe you can take on the task of securing a tourney location and finding an estimation of people that will be interested in something this major. I know that other people on WNY can help you out with this, so it shouldn't be too hard. I just wanted to put things in perspective to those that are interested...:006:

Shiri

Smash Chump
Big Shot Bob

:017: Son, Strata...don't even worry about it. I'm not even doing any real work on this yet. The work begins once we get the venue and announce dates. x_x

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking...

Looks like we've got this thing split between UB's campus and RIT's campus.
I'm gonna update my previous post with any details concerning either place.

RIT has the Student-Alumni Union that we can use.
UB has the Student Union that we can use.

Tim, I don't think you and Alexi are students there yet, and I'm SURE there's some kind of process to go through as far as reserving the room or something like that. If you've got access to the campus resources, however, look into it for the next couple of days, please, and see what's available to you. I'm talking rooms and even equipment (TVs, mainly). You'd be surprised at what you can find if you dig hard enough. ^_^

I am also requesting that the MIGHTY PHILL COLINS also check up on these very same things (with Tim, if possible). Since you're a student there already (at least, I'm under that impression), then that can hopefully legitimize whatever issues Tim might face if he does, indeed, find things for us to use.

I don't mind this thing at all being at UB. It might actually seem like I'm pro-RIT, and I am simply because of the fact that I won't need a ride to...my own place. o_o However, if, while we're all bringing updates to this thread, you guys feel that UB is the place, then SO BE IT. As long as we can Smash SOMEWHERE, then it's all good. If it's at UB, I won't have as much of a hand in the planning, too, so I hope Tim, Alexi, and Phill are on point. ^_^

However, if it's at RIT, I can't promise anything for summer. The earliest I can get something off the ground is September 10th, the weekend after fall classes begin here. Someone let me know when your different schools begin their fall classes, so I can put all this in perspective.

As far as people go, there are a decent number of Smashers here over summer, actually. Counting me, and the others I know...that's about...5 to 7 people. I say 5 to 7 because while they do play Smash, they may not come, so seven is the maximum, and 5 is my guess for those who would come regardless. When school hits, I can probably double or triple that number easily. Actually, the majority of attendees might be RIT smashers if I can advertise correctly. The number might also drop if its being held somewhere else, though. Same for any group on any campus.

As far as money prizes, I'll definately have to check into it.

Hmmm...I think that's all I had to say. So, here's the first thing we have to do. I'ma do some research for RIT stuffs. I need as many people as possible to research things at other places. If you want this at UB, look into UB resources. If you want this at Cyberjocks (I know Tim is a fan of the place), then research things there. If we could all update within a week from now, that would be PHENOMENAL. We could then vote on a location and move from there. I don't think you guys would understand how much progress we would have made if we got to vote in two weeks. Step it up, ladies, and we will definately be seeing the Battle For Western New York in no time. ^_~

P.S. - If you're ever wondering how I'm going as far as updates are concerned and can't be bothered to filter through the thread once this moves on to the next page or so, bookmark my post #529 (clicking on the number yields the solitary post) so you can always refer to it instantly. Put it in your AIM profile or something...get us some free advertising. If you're ever in doubt, check that post, but don't be so lazy where you can't filter through the thred for more info. ^_~

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
Yo Shiri, September 10 sounds like a PERFECT day to hold a tourney. It's right in the beginning of the fall semester, so there shouldn't be any excuses for having a lot of work to do. Also, more people will be able to come, since Shiri said that most smashers are around in the fall. I'm liking your efforts here, Shiri, you definitely got my support as well.

Yeah man, get some info on the money/prize situation, so we can have something to boast about when enticing people to come to this. Actually, I really won't care if this is in Rochester or Buffalo, as long as there is a good enough reward for a hard day's smashing. I'm sure everybody will feel the same way. Gentlemen, let the Battle for WNY begin...:006:

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
I like this guy Mario Moonshine's enthusiasm. Well, whenever this tourney happens, you can count me in on a money match. $10, 2/3 sounds good to you? All random stages if anything, and one stage reset for each of us. We need to see more people pumped up about this thing; otherwise our urgency might fall on deaf ears. Yo Kubuu, if anything, we can try doing teams together (if there's a team tourney at all), to represent Queenz smashers in WNY. What a combo that'll be...:006:

Shiri

Smash Chump
Uh...?

:017: Strata, you can't call Kubuu for teams. ¬_¬ That's like turning GOD Mode on in a Mario Party game. o_0

I'm just playin. I suppose I should actually get good at this game before I make jokes. ¬_¬

Anyway, now is a perfectly good time to get pumped. Just keep one thing in mind, fellas. Don't slack off. We all have to work a lil if we wanna see this come true. If you guys feel that you're at a dead end or just plain don't want to do any research, let us know. We're not gonna kill you for it, and it helps everyone else out when we can narrow down our options sooner.

The Battle for Western New York...it almost makes me wanna open a new thread. x_x Actually, I believe as long as this is a tournament tournament and not a fest, then I can open a new thread in the main Tournament Discussion room. This should be fun. ^_^

Strata already gave his two cents; what do the rest of you guys think about September 9th or 10th?

TWP

Smash Ace
I'm not one of those people that has my life planned out to september, but it sounds good to me. I can say for a fact that since neither me nor any of my crew members own a car, RIT would be the ideal place for a smashfest.

This is great seeing what I thought to be a dead / useless community in WNY coming together, and now we're working to get a good tourney going. Unfortunately, the High School smashers (save my crew) are pretty useless.

Shiri - if you need ANYTHING, give me a holla.

PhillCollins

Smash Journeyman
THE MIGHTY PHILL COLLINS HAS SPOKEN!

I'm not actually in buffalo right now sadely so I don't know if I can help too much with getting a room and what not.

lionheart1

Smash Ace
yeah sept 10 sounds good to me. i hope. well i understand where your going at with me and lexi not being at ub. BUT UB has regular wed night smashfests where you can expect at least 20 people there EVERY night! so. unless some of them are willing to go to rit, which im sure some will then we always have a place at ub for tournies. remember they have two big tournies every year. as far as summer practice for these tournies or whatever. shiri just give some times when you could smash, because im not sure when school starts/ ends or when your gonna be at rit. as far as my smashfest on july 5th it is still on, and im sure the usual 4 or so smashers in buffalo will be there, REMEMBER new competition is great! *ps i call alexi for teams*
-tim

Shiri

Smash Chump
Thanks

:017: Thanks for the updates, Tim.

As for me, school will finish on Independence Day weekend. Then I will Smashing my brains out. Anytime you guys are free, let me know.

I'm glad to hear that UB has tournaments during the year on the regular. I will definately try to visit those this coming year. If anyone has contact info for the UB Smash Prez, please ask him how he would feel about this being held at UB.

I'm glad to hear that September 10th works well for everyone. ^_^

Since we've seemed to narrow it down to UB and RIT, I'll propose we vote next Friday on the location, since the date seems to be set. If you know people that used to come visit this thread that don't, ask them to drop by so they can put down their vote for a location. I'll be working on a very bad@$$ flyer for this, so be on the lookout. ^_~

Yummy! Step it up, ladies...it's almost time! ^_^

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
ahoyhoy...

Well then, seems like everything is coming along fine. I just want to remind everybody that the proposed date is September 10, cause we don't want people getting confused as to when it's gonna be. This should be right on the fall semester, so no excuses.

Shiri: Yeah man, I need to bone up on my practicing too. I mean, I'm at a better level now than I was a few months ago, so hopefully that's good news. Hopefully everybody will ready for this also, since there's gonna be many months for everybody to practice. Better get ready kids. If I get my estimation right, I'm gonna have 2 characters that I'd love to whip out on all of WNY...:006:

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
lol

Whatever tickles your pickle, Lionheart. I mean, I can use a bunch of other people also, I'm not necessarily a 2-trick pony. When messin' around, I can go as deep as Bowser/Pichu, but hey, it's all good. I just hope I don't hear any excuses come tourney time, saying that you didn't pick your "best" character because either you didn't have one or you didn't know who to pick. I'm gonna be using my main 2 when money/prize is involved, which should be a given to experienced tourney players. Can't wait to test your "12" characters. Who knows, I might pick 12 of my own and do a money match with you, pittin' my 12 against your 12...:006:

Shiri

Smash Chump
Twp

:017: Duh!

You forgot Shiek!

Tim, since I didn't get to play you outside of teams last time...

My Pichu v. your Bowser. The battle must be concluded. Man up. No Johnz.

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
There you go! Challenges are what makes a tourney exciting. There are some people I'd like to call out, even though I've never even seen them yet. I've already got this Mario Moonshine character, so hopefully when this tourney nears, there'll be more that I'd play against. I've played Greta before, but this time I won't be sandbaggin', even if it's at Onett (hate that place). I lost to him, but that's ok. I'm much better now than when I played him, and I'm ready to steal some WNY tourneys.

UB people: Can you try to make your tourneys so that non-UB smashers can win the main prize? This is just in case this big tourney ends up at UB, or for future tourneys that they hold there. I don't wanna invest gas money to a tourney and not walk away with the prize that everybody wants, and I'm sure many others will feel the same way...:006:

PhillCollins

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the club seems to want the prize going to a member of the club. Which is kinda stupid if you ask me.

I'll support an open tournament next time. If I had been elected to a position in the club I could have had more power but I'm only one voice...

Edit: My aim is Man of Naise if you wanna ax me sumthin' bout UB related ****

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
Thanx for the support, Phill. It just gets me mad that they're not giving all smashers in the vicinity the chance to get the main prize, especially if they're holding the tourney open to non-UB people also. That would be like an open tourney held in a certain city, and saying that only people that live in that city can win the main prize, and out-of-city players have to settle for a secondary prize. If it's college regulation, then I can understand. I don't know, I guess since I've been to a fair amount of legit tourneys, I have a gripe with the UB standard. Whatever, I hope we don't encounter that in this big tourney...:006:

lionheart1

Smash Ace
well

i set up a date in july for any one who wants to come *july 5* now ill probably set up monthlies so who ever would like to come to the one in august just give me dates that are good and i will plan around it!

Shiri

Smash Chump
San Yo...

:017: I wanna say it is. I really wanna.

You just have to give me a lil more time. Gimme till the end of the week.

All I have to do is get permission to get the TVs, then all we would need are Cubes and copies of Smash with memory cards.

I'm very excited. I should also have a flyer design completed shortly.

MAN UP, LADIES. BATTLE FOR WESTERN NEW YORK!

Strata RaZoR

Smash Journeyman
Dude, don't worry, no rush. Take as much time as you need. If you take so much time that it gets finalized a week before the actual event, I don't care, cause I know you're working mad hard to put this thing together. No rush, no pressure, and just do the best you can. You have mad dedication to this thread, so I know that you're working your butt off to make this thing happen. You have my respect, and I know that you're gonna do a great job organizing this. Once everything is finalized, I can take charge of helping run the actual tourney, with bracketology and organization. You can certainly count on my help with anything you need...:006:

Top Bottom