• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the #AssistAlliance: AT and Spirit Character Promotion Discussion (What Does Pass 2 Mean for Spirits or Assists?)

What characters do you think are possible to make the jump to be playable?

• Assists

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Spirits

Votes: 66 28.3%
  • Both

Votes: 121 51.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 28 12.0%

• Total voters

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I think they forget that spirits take as much time ATs do, you need to create a battle for them, create models or textures for their conditions, etc.
I don't think Spirits take any time at all to make. Spirits only use the main fighters, so all they have to do is choose which character would fit, select the stage and music, choose a theme to it and select the AI difficulty. All the important programing would already be finished by just making the game regularly, so creating Spirits would be a lot more simple then creating an Assist which requires their own attack pattern and unique models.

With Version 3.0.0 on the way I'm hoping that Sakurai will say there will be Echo Fighter DLC, and one of the first would be Shadow. That way it can say that Assist don't deconfirm fighters.

I don't believe we'll see any Assist or Mii Costumes get upgraded in the current Fighters Pass, but I do hope we get a second wave of DLC because at this point it's a little hard to get excited for Ultimate's future, let alone care about it.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I support this

I also wanted to say that people need to just stop it with the fan rules. They're ignorant, and they hold 0 substance. You can't go around saying "assists deconfirms" or "spirits deconfirm" because you don't know that. Unless you're secretly on Sakurai's development team, there's no way you could know that for sure. And the weird part is people throw out these made up rules with confidence, they put their faith in them without thinking of the other side of the argument. There's a difference between saying "I believe assists deconfirm" and "assists deconfirm". Everyone is completely entitled to believe whatever they want based on a logical conclusion they make, but you can't throw these things around as if it's truth when you have no official confirmation.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I support this

I also wanted to say that people need to just stop it with the fan rules. They're ignorant, and they hold 0 substance. You can't go around saying "assists deconfirms" or "spirits deconfirm" because you don't know that. Unless you're secretly on Sakurai's development team, there's no way you could know that for sure. And the weird part is people throw out these made up rules with confidence, they put their faith in them without thinking of the other side of the argument. There's a difference between saying "I believe assists deconfirm" and "assists deconfirm". Everyone is completely entitled to believe whatever they want based on a logical conclusion they make, but you can't throw these things around as if it's truth when you have no official confirmation.
Preach it, brother!

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I remember there was 2 spirits that has the same artwork but one is in English and the other one was in Japanese, does this exist?
Hmmm, I never heard of that. I might want to look into this.

I would say Rusty and Inarushi, but they got drastically different designs in the Japanese and Western versions of Rusty's Real Deal Baseball. This being a thing since Smash 4 with both being trophies.

I support this

This is very true. This is more of a "we don't know until it happens" deal. As in we can say it can't happen, but we have to see it in action first.

Nice share.

Pappy Parappy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0954 1721 1707
I don't think Spirits take any time at all to make. Spirits only use the main fighters, so all they have to do is choose which character would fit, select the stage and music, choose a theme to it and select the AI difficulty. All the important programing would already be finished by just making the game regularly, so creating Spirits would be a lot more simple then creating an Assist which requires their own attack pattern and unique models.
I see you point, I mainly mean the base game spirits since they needed to make the resources to even have these battle made, some Assists also simply re use older animations as well. Which is why I still think they both are possible for DLC.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I support this

I will fight for Ness' dad to become a playable character if it kills me :mad088:

Nah, but in all seriousness, I agree. Brawl and Sm4sh were different instances with assists, and we have nothing clear cut yet on spirits. Brawl never had a chance for DLC, whereas Sm4sh only had a little bit of wiggle room, given the Switch was coming and a new Smash was to be made early in its life cycle. Ultimate has been made very early in the Switch's life, so it has some wiggle room. It's a completely different ball game that no one can predict at this time.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I see you point, I mainly mean the base game spirits since they needed to make the resources to even have these battle made, some Assists also simply re use older animations as well. Which is why I still think they both are possible for DLC.
Same here. This is a good mindset to have.

ATs are only a deconfirmation for the base game, Sakurai has said NOTHING about ATs or Spirits being deconfirmed as DLC fighters
Exactly, This is also true.

D

Deleted member

I support this

I 100% Agree with this. People should stop taking Fanmade rules as Truths as it's pointless, Sakurai constantly breaks the supposed "Rules" We used to think only 3rd Parties that have appeared on Nintendo consoles could get in then Cloud came, then we thought "Okay but he's the exception cause Final Fantasy started out on Nintendo consoles" then Joker came to kill that rule.

The rules are constantly changing and Sakurai purely does what he wants and he doesn't care about the "Rules", if he wants to later make Isaac, Shadow, Waluigi or Skull Kid playable by all means he'll remove the Assist trophy and do that. It's pointless to limit ourselves to "Rules" as Sakurai doesn't do that either with the exception of 4th party characters.

While I still do think Assists deconfirm by all means I am open for Assists becoming playable, in fact I would love that as Isaac and Skull Kid are two of my most wanted characters. Look at it from both sides and draw your own conclusion instead of bandwagoning a rule that isn't officially confirmed to be a thing.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I think it's about time I throw my hat in and support this movement.

I've supported Waluigi for /years/ alongside many others that have gotten in or haven't (Ridley, King K Rool and then Bomberman and Dr. Eggman for examples besides the WAH himself). I strive for the day for some of these characters I've longed but haven't had the chance finally join the battle! Especially Waluigi, Dr. Eggman, and good old stage hazard: Metal Face/Mumkhar.

As for the fan-made rules I agree people need to stop shoving them out as 100% facts, the only rule Sakurai and his development team have is no non-video game debut characters allowed, the fan-made rules I felt always came off as some sort of enforced regulations on people's dream characters and such, saying x video game character can't happen for y reason. It's really just a thing I hope eventually dies off, which is why I'm kinda hoping due to the 25 extra characters slots (originally 30 but we're getting five confirmed so I'm removing them) that were datamined means we get more fighter passes and that a spirit and an assist trophy get in to finally kill off the rules. Plus I mean, they can already disable select assists as seen with Alucard not available on Wii Fit Studio and the Moon in a bunch of other stages, don't see why if a character that's also an assist just can't be disabled from the assist trophy if being played as. Then there's bunch of artwork that can be used for a Fighter spirit and if not they can just use the Ultimate render as their default. I'd imagine since we have a stage hazard off feature if, for example, Mumkhar/Metal Face is playable and assuming they shrink down Metal Face rather than just using Mumkhar and Guar Plains is selected, it's basically just Guar Plains with hazards minus Metal Face, even then if they just go with Mumkhar and not Metal Face as in the mechon face unit, they can still use the mechon, just disable his voice files since as seen in Xenoblade Chronicles the face units can function without their pilots inside of them.

Anyways, I think I've made my opinions clear and that I support this movement.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
There are no rules but there still is likelyhood. You can't just say "Because there are no rules it's likely that Assist Trophies will become fighters". In an interview, even Sakurai thought Cloud was unlikely. He said the same about Ridley. Those characters still became fighters but it took Ridley years and years for it to happen and Cloud seems like he's under tight supervision. Meaning, it probably wasn't easy to get these guys as fighters.

I guess what I'm saying is it's okay to be skeptical and lean more on the likelyhood that it won't happen. But it's okay to stay hopeful and know that nothing is impossible in Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There are no rules but there still is likelyhood. You can't just say "Because there are no rules it's likely that Assist Trophies will become fighters". In an interview, even Sakurai thought Cloud was unlikely. He said the same about Ridley. Those characters still became fighters but it took Ridley years and years for it to happen and Cloud seems like he's under tight supervision. Meaning, it probably wasn't easy to get these guys as fighters.

I guess what I'm saying is it's okay to be skeptical and lean more on the likelyhood that it won't happen. But it's okay to stay hopeful and know that nothing is impossible in Smash.
And that is completely alright. Nothing wrong with some skepticism and not being too overly optimistic about something. That mindset does help in not making you get too absorbed in something and have it blow up in your face. I think most of us learned that the hard way when it came to expecting too much for Ultimate, the biggest offender being the Grinch leak.

I think it's about time I throw my hat in and support this movement.

I've supported Waluigi for /years/ alongside many others that have gotten in or haven't (Ridley, King K Rool and then Bomberman and Dr. Eggman for examples besides the WAH himself). I strive for the day for some of these characters I've longed but haven't had the chance finally join the battle! Especially Waluigi, Dr. Eggman, and good old stage hazard: Metal Face/Mumkhar.

As for the fan-made rules I agree people need to stop shoving them out as 100% facts, the only rule Sakurai and his development team have is no non-video game debut characters allowed, the fan-made rules I felt always came off as some sort of enforced regulations on people's dream characters and such, saying x video game character can't happen for y reason. It's really just a thing I hope eventually dies off, which is why I'm kinda hoping due to the 25 extra characters slots (originally 30 but we're getting five confirmed so I'm removing them) that were datamined means we get more fighter passes and that a spirit and an assist trophy get in to finally kill off the rules. Plus I mean, they can already disable select assists as seen with Alucard not available on Wii Fit Studio and the Moon in a bunch of other stages, don't see why if a character that's also an assist just can't be disabled from the assist trophy if being played as. Then there's bunch of artwork that can be used for a Fighter spirit and if not they can just use the Ultimate render as their default. I'd imagine since we have a stage hazard off feature if, for example, Mumkhar/Metal Face is playable and assuming they shrink down Metal Face rather than just using Mumkhar and Guar Plains is selected, it's basically just Guar Plains with hazards minus Metal Face, even then if they just go with Mumkhar and not Metal Face as in the mechon face unit, they can still use the mechon, just disable his voice files since as seen in Xenoblade Chronicles the face units can function without their pilots inside of them.

Anyways, I think I've made my opinions clear and that I support this movement.
Glad to have you aboard and you make very great points about the rules. There's many evidence against them that some seem to overlook or not pay much attention too, which even I did help write a document on that. Things can be disabled to stay consistent to a stay and some AT's just don't work on even the scrolling stages either for good reasons.

While I don't mind people listening to these rules, there's some that simply force them a bit too much for the sake of "ending any form of denial" on those that wouldn't want to stay silent until a whole new speculation period.

A good example would be Ridley., He was a controversial subject in which his original topic had to be locked due to mudslinging from both disappointed fans and detractors that wanted to "feed on delicious tears". That was a low point for them and they had to build a private group if only because they were treated as the outcasts by the forum. And they knew when to make the right move when the Smash ballot happened and helped with things like a book on Ridley to send to Sakurai by Zem-Raj of the Ridley Revolution. I really admired their efforts, they simply kept going even after losing their support topic and facing laughter from Shokio and his cronies. That's the thing some could learn from.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
How come every time someone sits down with Sakurai and does and interview, they never ask him "do assist trophies deconfirm characters?". Nobody has to ask that if they don't want, but that's a burning question in the Smash community that has pretty much gone unanswered for over a decade. Odd that nobody has brought that up to him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
How come every time someone sits down with Sakurai and does and interview, they never ask him "do assist trophies deconfirm characters?". Nobody has to ask that if they don't want, but that's a burning question in the Smash community that has pretty much gone unanswered for over a decade. Odd that nobody has brought that up to him.
Supposedly, Japan doesn't mind ATs as much as the West does. I have my doubts about this, because:

• They voted for Chrom in the ballot, despite Robin's FS
  • This Tweet includes Japanese replies grieving the fact that Bomberman is an AT
  • The Mii costume DLC from Smash 4 must've been influenced by ballot votes, and it includes characters like Takamaru.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
one sits down with Sakurai and does and interview, they never ask him "do assist trophies deconfirm characters?". Nobody has to ask that if they don't want, but that's a burning question in the Smash community that has pretty much gone unanswered for over a decade. Odd that nobody has brought that up to him.
Because it has a very obvious answer that only the smash community seems to not get?

When sakurai develop a smash game, the roster is one of teh first things to get decided. regarding character concepts, moves and whatnot. he probably choose a mixture of character that offer popularity (Ridley, Krool, Wolf), relevancy (Isabelle, 7th gen pokemon, Joker), and uniqueness (Piranna Plant, Inklings, Ice Climbers.) obviously this chaacter may be fine in more than one point (ridley is still relevant, Isabelle and inklings are also popular, etc..) Once they decided that, which characters are the ones that will burn most of the development time they look at which popular characters could work as little extras as echo characters (Dark Samus, Ken, Chrom) after that. he sees the list of characters that didn't made the cut and choose again, popular ones (knuckles, bomberman, zero, alucard), some relevant ones (springman) and a couple of unique ones (The moon) .

now.. some time during that development they start discussing DLC... obviously they aren't going to say anything that is not set on stone. but nintendo, not sakurai, have an idea of which characters want to pursue as DLC, they still probably talk it with sakurai (not goku!) and probaly at this point (that the game havent been revealed) there is a vague glimpse of what nintendo idea may be with DLC (like, promote big third party names).. at this point teh people on teh development team knows that Waluigi, Lyn or whatever didn't made the cut, even if any details regarding DLC still may be super hazy and in the "discussion" and "may not even happen" phase.

So yeah, they develop those assist trophies and show them.

thats why assist trophies aren't going to be on the game during this DLC cycle. if they wanted to put them on the game they wouldnt be assist.

THAT being said, if Sakurai, or nintendo eventually wants to make a second DLC cycle, and they decide, "we want to put a super popular character with the community as one of the fighters" they aren't going to say... "uhmmm... this waluigi guy is loved by many, but sadly he is already an assist trophie, so let's go with pink gold peach instead, since she is not an assist".

If they need DLC characters within an specific criteria and somehow an already assist trophy fits that criteria perfectly, they will make it a playable character, thats a given. but thats is an hypotethical assumption.. at this point they probbaly still evaluating ultimate's fighter pass performance, and there is always the chance that sakurai simply don't want to work another year on it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think Sakurai needs a vacation.
Yeah that's why I wonder if a second round of DLC is likely. Perhaps he might do something easier like more echo fighters. But completely new original characters are hard to make. And he's worked so hard already.

If anything, I have more faith that some of these ATs might get the playable status in a future Smash title.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Anyways... yeah.. i have a lot of characters in the assist trophy club i want..

Bomberman, shovel knight, Lyndis, Ashley, Black knight and shadow as echoes (Black knight may not have ike moves... but if they managed to make dark samus work, they could make black knight work)... etc...

buut my top pick is alucard :3...

I mean.. he was even considered as a playable character. i mean.. I do wholeheartedly agree with saurai decision of doing belmont instead... (and im having a blast using them) but... we can always use more, cant we?

plus let's face it... sakurai loves castlevania and Symphony of the night he never said it but it's simply waay too obvious. let's have some more sakurai bias >:3

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anyways... yeah.. i have a lot of characters in the assist trophy club i want..

Bomberman, shovel knight, Lyndis, Ashley, Black knight and shadow as echoes (Black knight may not have ike moves... but if they managed to make dark samus work, they could make black knight work)... etc...

buut my top pick is alucard :3...

I mean.. he was even considered as a playable character. i mean.. I do wholeheartedly agree with saurai decision of doing belmont instead... (and im having a blast using them) but... we can always use more, cant we?

plus let's face it... sakurai loves castlevania and Symphony of the night he never said it but it's simply waay too obvious. let's have some more sakurai bias >:3
Alucard was eve the most requested Castlevania character, but was passed for the Belmont’s because they were more iconic. This bodes well for him.

Supposedly, Japan doesn't mind ATs as much as the West does. I have my doubts about this, because:

• They voted for Chrom in the ballot, despite Robin's FS
  • This Tweet includes Japanese replies grieving the fact that Bomberman is an AT
  • The Mii costume DLC from Smash 4 must've been influenced by ballot votes, and it includes characters like Takamaru.
Agreed. These are great points.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Unpopular opinion but I feel like third party franchises should just be limited to one rep, each. (Not counting echo fighters, of course).

I don't know, I feel like adding characters like Zero and Alucard (characters that require a unique moveset and actual effort) is just gonna open Pandora's Box, because now everyone is gonna be wanting every single additional Sonic, Mega Man, Street Fighter, etc character to be playable. Echo fighters can dance around that issue because they take less effort to include and are also treated more as extensions of pre-existing characters rather than their own identity.

Poor Shadow.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Unpopular opinion but I feel like third party franchises should just be limited to one rep, each. (Not counting echo fighters, of course).

I don't know, I feel like adding characters like Zero and Alucard (characters that require a unique moveset and actual effort) is just gonna open Pandora's Box, because now everyone is gonna be wanting every single additional Sonic, Mega Man, Street Fighter, etc character to be playable. Echo fighters can dance around that issue because they take less effort to include and are also treated more as extensions of pre-existing characters rather than their own identity.

Poor Shadow.
I can see the concern.

With third parties, having more unique ones would be concerning in the sense that people would want more. Like if we get someone like say Tails, people would want more like Eggman or Amy after that one. But at the same time, we can have limits and not all third parties are easy to include.

Although I do agree that there is no issue with third party echos of any kind. Poor Shadow indeed.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I agree, I’m fine with people supporting them but I can’t really see unique 3rd party guys like Zero and Alucard being added to the roster long before first parties characters like Dix, Dee, and Wah.

Especially since they weren’t even talked about that much in speculation until their deconfirmations happened. (No offense to Zero and Alucard fans)

It’s better to stick with Echoes like :ultrichter: and :ultken: imo which still makes me mad that Shadow got screwed since Sonic’s been around since Brawl.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I am partial to unique secondary third party newcomers. I do would like to see Zero or Alucard make the jump. But I won't be too greedy and expect all Sonic fighters making the jump.

I wouldn't mind echoes either, it depends on who can be one. Because I know no one would be happy if we gotten someone like Akuma over Chun Li.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Personally, I feel like if there's ever going to be a non-Echo fighter newcomers for third party franchises and a third party villain (because for some reason people say we can't get those... even though they're like 50% or so of the reason of a game's plot and why we like the heroes) it's gonna be Dr. Eggman.

Though I feel like new reps for third party franchises should only be this: 1. The Main Protagonist/Character 2. The Main Antagonist/The Most Popular/Reoccurimg Antagonist and 3. The Sidekick/A Different Protagomist then sometimes 4. An Echo Fighter.

So using Sonic as an example that would be: 1. Sonic 2. Dr. Eggman 3. Tails and 4. Shadow. That way we get what's honestly needed as series staples and a little extra.

Of course sometimes this may crossover for some points, I'll use Metal Gear as an example this time: 1. Solid Snake 2/4. Big Boss and 3. Raiden. Again, this way we on,y get the series staples that are needed and ensure secondary and less important characters don't just start filling up the roster. That being said I'd be fine if for the Sonic series for some reason instead of Tails we got Knuckles, instead of Shadow we got Metal Sonic, etc. etc.

Though to use more examples for other third parties already existing in smash I'll try my best to determine by my personal reasoning who those extra reps would be.

Mega-Man: 1. Mega-Man 2. Dr Wily 3. Zero 4. Proto-Man/Bass

Pac-Man: 1. Pac-Man 2. Blinky (other ghosts as alts) 3/4. Mrs. Pac-Man

Street Fighter: 1. Ryu 2. M. Bison 3/4. Ken

Final Fanasty: 1. Cloud 2. Sephiroth 3/4. Zack

Bayonetta: 1. Bayonetta 2. Balder 3/4. Jeanne/Rodin

Castlevania: 1. Simon 2. Dracula 3/4. Ritcher

Of course we could always get, for example with Castlevania, Alucard despite Ritcher filling in both roles of 3 and 4, this is just how I'd structure secondary reps personally and I feel like it's safe assumptions but I do not want to shove it down people's throats, it's just my opinion on how secondary third party reps should be handeled. Of course though we should consider not all of these would be hypothetically introduced in the same game but rather across a multitude of entires mixed in with other fighters from first party series and perhaps some new third party series as well

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Yeah that's why I wonder if a second round of DLC is likely. Perhaps he might do something easier like more echo fighters. But completely new original characters are hard to make. And he's worked so hard already.

If anything, I have more faith that some of these ATs might get the playable status in a future Smash title.
Well Sakurai is just one guy, there are many people working on Smash Bros Ultimate, it's not just him. The whole department could be given breaks/vacation after they finish the current patch of DLC, but just like an average job you go back to work afterwards. It's not like they can just take a massive vacation for a couple of months. If they stop working on Smash Bros DLC then they will end up working on something else, so they might push to focus on more Smash Bros DLC since Super Smash Bros Ultimate is a title that every fan would gladly keep paying for any kind of DLC and it also help sell Switchs, it's potential to be an endless source of money for Nintendo and Sora Ltd. If need be Sakurai can take it easy by just being a consultant for designing DLC fighters instead of programing them while working on other personal projects.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well Sakurai is just one guy, there are many people working on Smash Bros Ultimate, it's not just him. The whole department could be given breaks/vacation after they finish the current patch of DLC, but just like an average job you go back to work afterwards. It's not like they can just take a massive vacation for a couple of months. If they stop working on Smash Bros DLC then they will end up working on something else, so they might push to focus on more Smash Bros DLC since Super Smash Bros Ultimate is a title that every fan would gladly keep paying for any kind of DLC and it also help sell Switchs, it's potential to be an endless source of money for Nintendo and Sora Ltd. If need be Sakurai can take it easy by just being a consultant for designing DLC fighters instead of programing them while working on other personal projects.
Right, he has a capable team that helps out. So it wouldn’t be all on him and he can get rest when possible.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah but I don't think he wants to do this forever. In the last Smash Direct he jokingly sighed and asked "Will I ever be finished?" I'm sure there are other things he wants to do. And I would blame him if he wanted to try making a brand new series.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Thankfully his work load already is being reduced. He doesn't decide how patches change the balance unlike Smash 4.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Yeah but I don't think he wants to do this forever. In the last Smash Direct he jokingly sighed and asked "Will I ever be finished?" I'm sure there are other things he wants to do. And I would blame him if he wanted to try making a brand new series.
Well, if you kept up with interviews he actually enjoys working on Smash Bros a lot and doesn't do it out of obligation or a neccesity, it's because he enjoys making it. The dude already multitasks projects anyways since if you recall pre-E3 of last year year he revealed he bought a model mech kit to help him on his next unannounced project. Obviously not ultimate since it was revealed already and I think it's obvious he wouldn't need one of that style since A. No such character that matches that design is a present 3-D model in ultimate and 2. Galleom and Metal Face were in previous games already so it wasn't for them. The whole idea Sakurai is getting worked to death is an extreme over exaggeration people made and kept saying in English speaking terrortories to get people who weren't satisfied with the content in ultimate or stuff shown off to its release to shut up. Though of course it is no lie he does get himself into some issues, for example he did need and IV or something according to his latest interview, but he also stated since he's a freelancer, a trusted one at that, Nintendo doesn't exactly make his scheduling or anything at all, Sakurai's work hours, schedule, all of it is managed by himself. While not a game developer myself I am researching the field and such since it's something I want to get into after I graduate, but long work hours, working overtime and/or over the weekend, pushing yourself to the limits sitting at a computer doing whatever task it is that you're doing for more than eight hours, etc etc. is actually a very common thing. Now of course as I said though, Sakurai is a freelancer who does his own scheduling and works when he wants for long he wants and doesn't have Nintendo do that for him to cut down his hours or have him work as safely as possible like they most likely try with members of the development team actually under their direct employment. So whatever happens to Sakurai that way is a result for his passion of his craft that he kinda dangerously pushes himself to his limits.

Of course though if you really want to know a bad, unhealthy and dangerous game development cycle I'd suggest looking to the original Kid Icarus where the game's originals director for most of the development was literally the only one doing work on the project, stayed overnight and slept in the company building, etc. etc. to get the game done until the Metroid team finished their work on the original one, saw what was happening to the guy, and decided to help him get Kid Icarus done by its deadline which was fast approaching. Less stress and dangerous development from their on for the guy sinc he now had a team backing him up, but they still had to stay overnight and basically work 24/7 to get it done before the deadline of its development.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Figured I'd finally post in this thread and say I support the cause.

For me the assist trophies I really want to see playable are

1. Isaac
2. Shovel Knight
3. Lyn (and no, I don't care about there being alot of FE characters already and think the anime swordsman complaint is dumb)

Can't say I'm too hopeful for any AT promotions happening in the fighter's pass (would love to be proven wrong though), but if we get DLC beyond the fighter's pass, then hey, the sky's the limit.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
3. Lyn (and no, I don't care about there being alot of FE characters already and think the anime swordsman complaint is dumb)
This so much.

For me, Lyn comes close enough to be an FE all star that should had been playable from the start. Even FEH acknowledges how popular she is by creating so many alternate versions of her. She's one FE character I want the most easily.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well, if you kept up with interviews he actually enjoys working on Smash Bros a lot and doesn't do it out of obligation or a neccesity, it's because he enjoys making it. The dude already multitasks projects anyways since if you recall pre-E3 of last year year he revealed he bought a model mech kit to help him on his next unannounced project. Obviously not ultimate since it was revealed already and I think it's obvious he wouldn't need one of that style since A. No such character that matches that design is a present 3-D model in ultimate and 2. Galleom and Metal Face were in previous games already so it wasn't for them. The whole idea Sakurai is getting worked to death is an extreme over exaggeration people made and kept saying in English speaking terrortories to get people who weren't satisfied with the content in ultimate or stuff shown off to its release to shut up. Though of course it is no lie he does get himself into some issues, for example he did need and IV or something according to his latest interview, but he also stated since he's a freelancer, a trusted one at that, Nintendo doesn't exactly make his scheduling or anything at all, Sakurai's work hours, schedule, all of it is managed by himself. While not a game developer myself I am researching the field and such since it's something I want to get into after I graduate, but long work hours, working overtime and/or over the weekend, pushing yourself to the limits sitting at a computer doing whatever task it is that you're doing for more than eight hours, etc etc. is actually a very common thing. Now of course as I said though, Sakurai is a freelancer who does his own scheduling and works when he wants for long he wants and doesn't have Nintendo do that for him to cut down his hours or have him work as safely as possible like they most likely try with members of the development team actually under their direct employment. So whatever happens to Sakurai that way is a result for his passion of his craft that he kinda dangerously pushes himself to his limits.

Of course though if you really want to know a bad, unhealthy and dangerous game development cycle I'd suggest looking to the original Kid Icarus where the game's originals director for most of the development was literally the only one doing work on the project, stayed overnight and slept in the company building, etc. etc. to get the game done until the Metroid team finished their work on the original one, saw what was happening to the guy, and decided to help him get Kid Icarus done by its deadline which was fast approaching. Less stress and dangerous development from their on for the guy sinc he now had a team backing him up, but they still had to stay overnight and basically work 24/7 to get it done before the deadline of its development.
I didn't say Sakurai felt obligated or was suffering with Smash. I was just saying that nobody wants to do the same thing forever.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, if there could only be one more FE character, I'd prefer Lyn. She may not wield an axe or a lance or any magic tomes or anything like that, but she'd be one of the more fun and unique swordfighters on the roster.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Honestly, if there could only be one more FE character, I'd prefer Lyn. She may not wield an axe or a lance or any magic tomes or anything like that, but she'd be one of the more fun and unique swordfighters on the roster.
Right. She is probably the only FE character with any real merit to be playable.

Maybe Black Knight too, but that depends if they want to got the extra mile and give Ike a semicolon/echo.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Exactly.

I can't fathom the people that would prefer Edalgard when the most of her combat we've seen is her doing a single generic axe swipe, while for Lyn we have SO much to work with in terms of source material, while all of it looks fun and flashy as hell to play as.

It's like nobody on these boards has ever heard of iaido and how different, weird, and stylish it looks despite it appearing in seemingly every single piece of Japanese media known to man.

Not to mention that she is quite literally the most popular Fire Emblem character in the entire Franchise.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I didn't say Sakurai felt obligated or was suffering with Smash. I was just saying that nobody wants to do the same thing forever.
He could hand Smash over to some other developer at any time but he refuses to do it. It's nobody's fault but his own.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
He could hand Smash over to some other developer at any time but he refuses to do it. It's nobody's fault but his own.
Honestly, I admire his dedication and passion, but especially with his health acting up, he's going to need to train a successor — and fast. He can't do this forever. He'll have to retire eventually, probably sooner rather than later. I love his work on Smash and I understand that it's ingrained in Japanese society to be a workaholic, but I don't want his job sending him to an early grave.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I seriously hope the way Sakurai stops working on Smash ISN'T because he killed himself overworking himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom