• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the #AssistAlliance: AT and Spirit Character Promotion Discussion (What Does Pass 2 Mean for Spirits or Assists?)

What characters do you think are possible to make the jump to be playable?

• Assists

Votes: 18 7.7%
  • Spirits

Votes: 66 28.3%
  • Both

Votes: 121 51.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 28 12.0%

• Total voters

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
^

Correct.

Imagine just doing something as innocent as wanting a character and you are ridiculed over the actions of a few bad apples. This is exactly why I support this because I am tired of hiding and being called ungrateful for refusing to stop supporting my number one character. I'm sure no one wants to go through any of that at all.

And we need movements like this to help better the already bad state of the Smash community.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about movements is that they don't have to be in a negative fashion, forceful, or demanding that Sakurai puts his health aside for our own desires. I strongly believe in vocalizing your input over what is a product you are paying for. I also worry all the time for Sakurai's health and hope that he is careful not to go too far. If I could take, say, Geno or Banjo getting in, but it meant a detriment to Sakurai's health, I'd pass on my favorites getting in to let Sakurai rest.

Speaking up about our desires is not equivocal to ignoring the human beings listening to us and their well-being.

DuckMeat

Smash Rookie
Agreed. In the long run, the goal of the movement is not to increase Sakurai's workload and put his livelihood on the line, but to simply keep the ongoing support for many of these characters alive so that their popularity is recognized for a potential 2nd Fighter Pass or future Smash title. The worst thing about fan rules "deconfirming" characters is that they have a tendency to shut down discussion of "deconfirmed" characters, almost completely choking any support they may have had. This causes normally sought-after characters to lose support overnight, blinding people to their popularity and practically guaranteeing they won't be promoted.

If there truly is a rule at Sora Ltd. that deconfirms Assist Trophies or the like, I can guarantee it would be due to the fanbase giving up on character because a fan rule told them to. It's not a fate the fanbase should accept as law. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that people can rise above of if they stay strong to their beliefs.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Agreed. In the long run, the goal of the movement is not to increase Sakurai's workload and put his livelihood on the line, but to simply keep the ongoing support for many of these characters alive so that their popularity is recognized for a potential 2nd Fighter Pass or future Smash title. The worst thing about fan rules "deconfirming" characters is that they have a tendency to shut down discussion of "deconfirmed" characters, almost completely choking any support they may have had. This causes normally sought-after characters to lose support overnight, blinding people to their popularity and practically guaranteeing they won't be promoted.

If there truly is a rule at Sora Ltd. that deconfirms Assist Trophies or the like, I can guarantee it would be due to the fanbase giving up on character because a fan rule told them to. It's not a fate the fanbase should accept as law. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that people can rise above of if they stay strong to their beliefs.
My goodness, I couldn't agree more, and you really nailed what I wanted to say and couldn't word properly. Geno is a good example of this. Before Cloud got in to Smash 4, the hopes for Geno were low and, as a result, his support was next to nothing. Because perceived chances were so low to nothing (and, as we can see, he did not get in Smash 4), the support was just... not there.

Support, however, doesn't have to equate to likelihood. It's about uniting with your fellow fans and positively showing Nintendo, with all of your heart and soul and love, that you love these characters. If these characters get into these games in the future, they would be beloved additions, even if they can't happen this time around. It also rallies everyone into remembering why they're supporting these characters and sharing their memories, their passions, their ideas, and their fondness for these guys. It isn't throwing tantrums to Sakurai and company. Rather, I find that it's quite the opposite, and a lot of positive stuff can come from this sort of thing.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Mhm, exactly, we aren't trying to put any more works on anyone, but to bring those fan bases that are constantly shut down again, our goal is to prove to everyone that, even though a character is deconfirmed, there is still a lot of fans behind it that still wish to see this character in Smash one day, if it's not DLC then it won't be DLC, there is still another Smash after, we don't demand them to be playable tomorrow, we just express our common love for a character, when everyone else is always shutting us down to talk about them, well I think it's important to offer a place to those people, so that they can talk about the character they like with peoples that won't tell them to shut up, but that instead will be as exited as them to talk about them !

As DuckMeat said, there is no rules until Sora Ltd. say it, yes being an AT lessen the chance for sure as they are already in in some ways, but I do believe that if the fan base stay united through that, if we continue to show our love for those characters, then our voices will be heard one day

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post: double post
...what a weird metaphor. Nobody’s chopping their hands off mate.
It's a metaphor bubby

I think you are misunderstanding things completely.

The whole point is that we just want to find ways to talk about our characters without being shut down and reminded that they will never happen. The whole point is to inspire them, let them keep doing what they want, and not feel forced to admit that character will never happen.

Sakurai has a heavy work load, we all can't deny that. But this is his franchise and he's just too much of a perfectionist to let anyone handle it. I think most of us here will support the current Fighter Pass and get all of the new fighters. But what we also want is just to keep talking about the character we like and enjoy without being forced to be silenced by those that can't let us voice our opinions.

I can understand the concern Beedrill, I really do. But at the same time, this is for the best since some of us have ambitions and we wouldn't drop them for the sake of focusing on who's likely or who is realistically going to happen. And I'll say this, I can respect your pinion. But at the same time, don't expect others to really agree with it.
You're just making it seem.... so passive agreesive. I get that you want your favorite character to get in, it's just that you're playing this off as a scheme where you're going "@MasohiroSakuri you better put this character in, I want stop until you do". I can see where you're coming from, but it isn't I want to see them in Smash, it's I'll force them into Smash.

I think you are misunderstanding things completely.

The whole point is that we just want to find ways to talk about our characters without being shut down and reminded that they will never happen. The whole point is to inspire them, let them keep doing what they want, and not feel forced to admit that character will never happen.

Sakurai has a heavy work load, we all can't deny that. But this is his franchise and he's just too much of a perfectionist to let anyone handle it. I think most of us here will support the current Fighter Pass and get all of the new fighters. But what we also want is just to keep talking about the character we like and enjoy without being forced to be silenced by those that can't let us voice our opinions.

I can understand the concern Beedrill, I really do. But at the same time, this is for the best since some of us have ambitions and we wouldn't drop them for the sake of focusing on who's likely or who is realistically going to happen. And I'll say this, I can respect your pinion. But at the same time, don't expect others to really agree with it.
You're basically trying to force characters into Smash. I get the ambitions is to do that, but instead of trying to do like Ridley where everyone just said they wanted it, you're trying to start a hashtag about how the guy wasted 20 years of his life to make us happy, and making himself crippled in the process. If you just said you wanted this character in I'd be fine, I've done it myself a few times. It's just that you're trying to get them in forcefully by making people follow a hashtag. It's disrespectful to Masohiro Sakuri that him deciding to put your character as a main item absolutely DESERVES to be in. Plus, most of them are character that haven't been relevant in 20 years, and there are still many more characters that "deserve" to be in Smash over them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You're basically trying to force characters into Smash.
I don't want every single AT playable. I and many other people ITT just think they shouldn't be off the table for DLC. The game is already set up to disable character redundancies involving ATs/Poke Balls anyway, just try and get Palkia from a Poke Ball on Spear Pillar.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You're just making it seem.... so passive agreesive. I get that you want your favorite character to get in, it's just that you're playing this off as a scheme where you're going "@MasohiroSakuri you better put this character in, I want stop until you do". I can see where you're coming from, but it isn't I want to see them in Smash, it's I'll force them into Smash.
No it's not, I am simply stopping misinformation since this is exactly what it is.

We don't tag anyone, far from that. We do our own thing. No one is harassing Sakurai at all or even tag him even once. Try looking at examples of what we do before making assumptions.

You're basically trying to force characters into Smash. I get the ambitions is to do that, but instead of trying to do like Ridley where everyone just said they wanted it, you're trying to start a hashtag about how the guy wasted 20 years of his life to make us happy, and making himself crippled in the process. If you just said you wanted this character in I'd be fine, I've done it myself a few times. It's just that you're trying to get them in forcefully by making people follow a hashtag. It's disrespectful to Masohiro Sakuri that him deciding to put your character as a main item absolutely DESERVES to be in. Plus, most of them are character that haven't been relevant in 20 years, and there are still many more characters that "deserve" to be in Smash over them.
That's the whole point of an alliance. You know, having people of many different backgrounds and ideals forming together for a singular cause. There is no harm in that at all. Even the Ridley Revolution approves of what we are doing, so there is nothing negative about this other than you simply twisting it that way.

And we aren't hating the concept of Assist Trophies at all, we simply like our character and want to continue talking about them for years to come with no consequences at all or simply following the fan rules established by people that put us down. We don't care about what's relevant or if that series is alive and working, we simply like our characters and that's it.

I am all for constructive criticism, but this is far from it.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Now what's this about forcing a hashtag? Most people follow it our of their own free will because they have a chance to not listen to people that want them to "shut up" and never say a thing at all. Would you rather have people do that? You think following the side that treats everything likes its impossible is the right thing to do? So I stay silent and never want Yuri again, as a fan of one of the best Japanese horror game franchises, because it's better than nothing?

And please stop with the relevance card. A good portion of the cast is "irrelevant" (Mr Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, King K Rool, etc), so that argument doesn't hold any value.

We aren't hurting Sakurai at all, we just don't want these characters to lose any form of traction for the future at all. I sure don't want to think about a future where no one talks about Isaac anymore because of the fact that Golden Sun's status makes him an impossible character. It's better to have some hope than no hope at all.

That raises the question, what is it that you are really trying to achieve here other than playing the role of a contrarian?

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
Now what's this about forcing a hashtag? Most people follow it our of their own free will because they have a chance to not listen to people that want them to "shut up" and never say a thing at all. Would you rather have people do that? You think following the side that treats everything likes its impossible is the right thing to do? So I stay silent and never want Yuri again, as a fan of one of the best Japanese horror game franchises, because it's better than nothing?

And please stop with the relevance card. A good portion of the cast is "irrelevant" (Mr Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, King K Rool, etc), so that argument doesn't hold any value.

We aren't hurting Sakurai at all, we just don't want these characters to lose any form of traction for the future at all. I sure don't want to think about a future where no one talks about Isaac anymore because of the fact that Golden Sun's status makes him an impossible character. It's better to have some hope than no hope at all.

That raises the question, what is it that you are really trying to achieve here other than playing the role of a contrarian?
I'm sorry if I'm seeming to much of something here (can't think of a good adjective) but I get passionate when discussing Smash. it's my fault for coming off the way I am.

Pappy Parappy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0954 1721 1707
I don't know why you decided to do this again after quiting, but okay. I just personally forcing someone that risks their life making platform fighting games shouldn't be bombarded with requests to things that have been done.
You're missing the point of this whole Alliance, for one, Sakurai isn't a slave risking his life to make games, he overworked himself twice because HE wanted to.

We're not "forcing" our requests either, we're just showing support in a respectful way, and Showing him that people want these characters. We're not attempting to change the DLC choices, were supporting these characters for the future.

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
You're missing the point of this whole Alliance, for one, Sakurai isn't a slave risking his life to make games, he overworked himself twice because HE wanted to.

We're not "forcing" our requests either, we're just showing support in a respectful way, and Showing him that people want these characters. We're not attempting to change the DLC choices, were supporting these characters for the future.
I understand it, I just wrote the messages out of anger because most of my relationships come from Sakuri's work. It's just that at face value it seems a bit forceful.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Thank you, and we can understand that.

We can appreciate that someone does have deep care for Sakurai as a person and care for his well being. As a fan, we do appreciate the things he do and feel Smash would be nothing without him at all.

But thank you for getting what we mean and we promise that we aren't toxic nor aggressive at all with our intensions.

Pappy Parappy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0954 1721 1707
I understand it, I just wrote the messages out of anger because most of my relationships come from Sakuri's work. It's just that at face value it seems a bit forceful.
I see.

I can understand your love for Sakurai and I (and everyone else here) apologize for the bad first impressions, we respect Sakurai as well, which is why we don't condone harassing and forcing him to add Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac, Etc. Etc.

DuckMeat

Smash Rookie
Not a problem at all. I think it's safe to say we're all mutual in our feelings towards Sakurai and his work.

However, we also recognize that there is an ugly cycle of fans deconfirming characters with arbitrary fan rules and causing their support to dwindle to nothing for no observable reason. Heck, even Ridley suffered from this during the ballot days! I apologize if I came off rather strong-armed, but I just wanted to make sure our goal came across clearly.
We're not fighting against Sakurai for our characters we want to become playable; we're fighting against the ugly cycle of fan deconfirmation that plagues the fandom, now moreso than ever. With the notion that there's going to only be a single Fighter Pass with only new 3rd party picks, promotions of ANY kind are going to inevitably suffer a major dip in support if nothing is done. If we can keep that support alive for at least until the remaining 4 Fighter Pass characters are revealed, there's a hair of a chance that we'll be able to clear this fog and get the characters we support in the clear.
So no, we aren't intending to attack or force Sakurai into doing anything. We're trying to keep Assist Trophies and characters in similar positions from dying in the general Smash discourse by continuing to discuss and support them and their franchise. If anything, we're more on the defensive than on the attack atm.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Except...when I founded the alliance one of the core fundamentals of said alliance was to NEVER tag sakurai, celebrities, developers, or what have you in discourse for demand relating to ANY assist character. And I have banned multiple people from the discord, including moderators, for doing just that. As well as removing users from our twitter chat. And seriously reprimanding admins (including the owner of this very thread) for breaking such guidelines. You will never see a person heavily associated with the alliance pestering, @'ing sakurai, or what have you. I PERSONALLY will see to that much.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Why is it that Sakurai, more than any game dev in history, has such a huge legion of fans who unironically worship him like a god? At least with someone like Todd Howard it's all just jokes and memes but with Sakurai it's genuine. Like you can't even so much as think about questioning or criticizing any of his decisions around these people. It's so bizarre lol.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Why is it that Sakurai, more than any game dev in history, has such a huge legion of fans who unironically worship him like a god? At least with someone like Todd Howard it's all just jokes and memes but with Sakurai it's genuine. Like you can't even so much as think about questioning or criticizing any of his decisions around these people. It's so bizarre lol.
Honestly that mentality arose during the smash 4 days.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This thread is for people to show support for characters who have been otherwise deconfirmed as well as provide a place for them to freely discuss these characters. In addition, the movement of as created to show Nintendo and Sakurai that there is a visible community who support deconfirmed characters. They aren’t trying to shove their ideas into the creators faces or to demand they do more work.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know Ridley and K. Rool fans also had hashtags, right? It’s just a basic tool in any movement.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I was thinking. What kind of Spirits are the idea ones that seem "promotable"?

Some say that Ace or Legendary ones would be the best choices. Though it depends on the Spirit as a whole.

For example, something like Tsubasa Oribe from TMS is more feasible than say Metal Face.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So I was thinking. What kind of Spirits are the idea ones that seem "promotable"?

Some say that Ace or Legendary ones would be the best choices. Though it depends on the Spirit as a whole.

For example, something like Tsubasa Oribe from TMS is more feasible than say Metal Face.
I would say ace and legendaries are easily the best ones to get promoted, for the most part, but I guess I'm biased because my most wanted spirit promotion is a legendary one, haha.

That being said, it definitely comes with its caveats. Alas, we cannot play as Ness' dad in Smash outside of spirits, despite his legendary status. It's very sad, I know.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think some of the most popular choices would be:
Bandana Waddle Dee
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Octoling

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'd like to discuss Assist Trophies becoming fighters. The idea is extremely fun to me. I even made my own art project based on the concept. However making a movement about it? I don't know. I'll chat about it with you guys but I don't think I'll be a part of any movement.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Here’s my list of Assist Trophies and Spirits that should become playable fighters:
Waluigi
Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
Captain Rainbow
Zero (Mega Man X)
Shadow the Hedgehog
Takamaru
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Bomberman
Shovel Knight
Guile (Street Fighter)
Knuckles the Echidna
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Vega/Balrog (Street Fighter)
Zangief (Street Fighter)
M. Bison/Vega (Street Fighter)
Sagat (Street Fighter)
Dan Hibiki (Street Fighter)
Sakura Kasugano (Street Fighter)
And the list goes on...
Sorry. This was a pretty short start. I know it’s a lot of Street Fighter characters, but I’d like to hear more Street Fighter remixes, maybe by Yoko Shimomura, or anybody. Wouldn’t YOU? I’ll try to think of some more, eventually, in any future lists I make.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
As usual, I only say any Nintandeo character has the qualification to be a Smash fighter, with exception of 3rd parties guests. I don't admire such saying because it shows that some people already think Duck or Nana is "not important at all" or "not even a real video game character". It kinda hurts other fans who like these retro characters or main them in Smash from their hearts. They do have value, and they're relevant enough to be in Smash bros. Okay, at least, you don't think those characters matter but Nintendo do, that's the point here.
To me it's a good thing that any independent title or franchise can be chosen regardless of how much money or titles they make, which is good to the roster diversity.

As for being relevant to the franchise where a certain character comes from, in an objective view it only goes through comparison. I only say that if character B is much less important than A but A is chosen, that may worth discussion. But if A and B are just not too different, it's just a hard choice to Nintendo cause they can only pick one for Smash due to the limited capacity of roster. Never say that "A and B are the same so they both should be in".
Oh comparing two characters of different franchises doesn't count too, that kind of comparison is already called "irrelevant" since the beginning.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would say ace and legendaries are easily the best ones to get promoted, for the most part, but I guess I'm biased because my most wanted spirit promotion is a legendary one, haha.

That being said, it definitely comes with its caveats. Alas, we cannot play as Ness' dad in Smash outside of spirits, despite his legendary status. It's very sad, I know.
I agree with this as well. usually Sprits of that ranking are considered of high importance. There's probably reasons as to why these characters are either rare or the ones with the hardest Spirit Battles. For example, someone like Saki is a good Legendary Spirit and the difficulty of that Spirit Battle really shows. And to say this in the most spoiler free way possible, many Legendary spirits can be found near the end of World of Light, some more familiar than others that are more than rewarding to beat and claim as a part of your collection.

And Ness's Dad is another example since he's usually an unseen character who's spoken to through a phone than well someone who's got fighting experience like his son. For the few people that want to play as Ness's Dad, quite the shame.

I'd like to discuss Assist Trophies becoming fighters. The idea is extremely fun to me. I even made my own art project based on the concept. However making a movement about it? I don't know. I'll chat about it with you guys but I don't think I'll be a part of any movement.
And that's fine by us. Most AT related support topics had been kind of dead as of late, so discussion of them can happen here. It's a shame, though we can't control the activity in 60 other support topics that have seen small or no amounts of activity since Ultimate's release.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Here’s my list of Assist Trophies and Spirits that should become playable fighters:
Waluigi
Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
Captain Rainbow
Zero (Mega Man X)
Shadow the Hedgehog
Takamaru
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Bomberman
Shovel Knight
Guile (Street Fighter)
Knuckles the Echidna
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Vega/Balrog (Street Fighter)
Zangief (Street Fighter)
M. Bison/Vega (Street Fighter)
Sagat (Street Fighter)
Dan Hibiki (Street Fighter)
Sakura Kasugano (Street Fighter)
And the list goes on...
Sorry. This was a pretty short start. I know it’s a lot of Street Fighter characters, but I’d like to hear more Street Fighter remixes, maybe by Yoko Shimomura, or anybody. Wouldn’t YOU? I’ll try to think of some more, eventually, in any future lists I make.
Speaking of Street Fighter, how would you guys feel about a Nintendo VS Capcom series? I think it would be interesting and fun. I mean, we got Marvel VS Capcom, SNK VS Capcom, and...even Tatsunoko VS Capcom!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think some of the most popular choices would be:
Bandana Waddle Dee
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Octoling
That's a good list of high ranked spirits. They would make great fighters one day.

Especially Dee and Dixie, two who stand out as great characters with no playable role yet. Not that I wouldn't mind the good captain and Veemo agents either.

Speaking of Street Fighter, how would you guys feel about a Nintendo VS Capcom series? I think it would be interesting and fun. I mean, we got Marvel VS Capcom, SNK VS Capcom, and...even Tatsunoko VS Capcom!
This is off topic, but I wouldn't mind a Nintendo vs Capcom either.

Ono did express interest, but it's all up to Nintendo in the end of the day. A good deal of AT fighters would make great additions to the roster.

Most notably Waluigi, Takamaru, Skull Kid, Saki (I know he's an ex AT, but he's still a good pick), Ashley, Krystal, Spring Man, and Yuri.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Versus cases existed in NIntendo, like the Sonic Olympics games or Square's Sports Mix and Fortune Street, but these are just two franchises compete with each other, so we've not yet seen two parties of companies in a game title. Not sure if NIntendo want to focus on Smash series as the only Nintendo crossover. If that is the case maybe Street Frighter versus Mario universe is abit more possible. Also the theme cannot reuse platform fighting game.

As for the main topic.... I think the cases are very dependent. It feels like the assistants are chosen by various standards like popularity or weirdness/diversity, not that all the characters with best chances ended up in the assist/spirit/trophy places. When it comes to promoting an assist into a regular fighter, it would have to be "coincidentally the ones Nintendo really want as a candidate".

Same for Pokeballs where obviously some of them are definitely not wanted to be fighters by either fans or NIntendo, but are just added for the effect diversity.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As for the main topic.... I think the cases are very dependent. It feels like the assistants are chosen by various standards like popularity or weirdness/diversity, not that all the characters with best chances ended up in the assist/spirit/trophy places. When it comes to promoting an assist into a regular fighter, it would have to be "coincidentally the ones Nintendo really want as a candidate".

Same for Pokeballs where obviously some of them are definitely not wanted to be fighters by either fans or NIntendo, but are just added for the effect diversity.
RIght, these are all good points. Things like popularity and what would they add are two main factors for how they would choose them. There's some obvious picks like Waluigi and some that would be a stretch like say insert enemy here (Kawasaki, Hammer Bro, etc). Nintendo would have the final say, really looking into the list or characters that got roles to find who would really sell as a fighter.

And that same criteria can be used for Pokemon too. There are many good feeble picks to choose from like say Meowth, Zororak, Gardevior, etc. Then we have some oddballs that would be less likely like Gulpin, Alolan Exeggutor, Pyukumuku, Electrode, and others.

Pappy Parappy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0954 1721 1707
In my opinion, this is how I see Assist and Spirits in term of promotion.

With Spirits, I don't think their rank matters, if he wants Dan promoted, he'll do it. I do, however, think Ace/Legends do have a better shot since most fan favs that are spirits are ranked either of the two.

With Assists, they have just as much of a chance of being promoted. People say "spirits don't deconfirm but Assists are the only thing that do" and I think they forget that spirits take as much time ATs do, you need to create a battle for them, create models or textures for their conditions, etc.

andree123

Smash Ace
I remember there was 2 spirits that has the same artwork but one is in English and the other one was in Japanese, does this exist?

CureParfait

Smash Ace
In my opinion, this is how I see Assist and Spirits in term of promotion.

With Spirits, I don't think their rank matters, if he wants Dan promoted, he'll do it. I do, however, think Ace/Legends do have a better shot since most fan favs that are spirits are ranked either of the two.

With Assists, they have just as much of a chance of being promoted. People say "spirits don't deconfirm but Assists are the only thing that do" and I think they forget that spirits take as much time ATs do, you need to create a battle for them, create models or textures for their conditions, etc.
This is part of the reason why I don't think ATs/Pokeballs deconfirm. Another reason is I haven't seen anything that indicates AT/Pokeballs would be deconfirmed for Ultimate's DLC.

D

Deleted member

I fully support this. My three most wanted boys, Geno, Ninten, and Isaac, are spirits and assists, and I really hope they are upgraded.

I also would like to see Shantae, Elma, Waluigi, Shadow, Bandana Dee, Mallow, Rayman, Duster, Tails, and, mainly for his fans, Skull Kid, upgraded to a fighter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think they forget that spirits take as much time ATs do, you need to create a battle for them, create models or textures for their conditions, etc.
I think they'd only take equal amounts of work in early stages of development. At some point, they would have enough models, textures, code to reuse among hundreds of spirit battles.

Speaking of reusing assets, all the Poke Ball Pokemon from Smash 4 were directly copied over, so you can't even say "But they put so much work into them this time! It's like they're really fighters!" in regards to Poke Balls. Okay, there is some tweaking to how some of them work, but it's still less than fleshing out the concept of attacking/KOing ATs and giving most of the old ones air dodges.

Last edited:
Top Bottom