• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to Mario Land: The Mario Stage Discussion. Now Discussing: Frigate Orpheon

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I wouldn't count on killing with D-air on this stage. Ideally you should be controlling the hell out of your opponent with it here. Up-B kills, maybe. I personally think Up-B is kinda in a similar situation as D-air but to a lesser extent, in that it's too useful for damage dealing utility to really consider for kills most of the time.

And I personally like to just charge U-smash on the top platform. Smart opponents will choose to get hit by the lava if they expect this. Everyone else gets killed at like 90-100% easily. Regardless, free damage is good, especially if you're saving B-throw.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Up-B is a legitimate kill option on Brinstar. Especially after they've been hit by lava, you just jump up there and bait their airdodge. Then win.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
UpB is not practical when it comes to killing EVER. I do it in friendlies because it's lulzy when it works. Neither is dair unless someone like MK chases you stupidly high in the air and you land the last hit.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No, it actually is legit on Brinstar. Not saying it's the best option, but it can definitely work.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
UpB is not practical when it comes to killing EVER. I do it in friendlies because it's lulzy when it works. Neither is dair unless someone like MK chases you stupidly high in the air and you land the last hit.
Yes it requires a good read, but those kills are not actually as unsafe or as situational as you think on this stage where there is both lava and small blastzones. The real reason these kills are situational is more because you should be using Up-B and D-air as damage dealers, and because it's also pretty easy to just wait until you can kill them with U-smash/B-throw.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You don't plan to upB kill...You just do it when the opportunity presents itself.

It's not like you'd get punished super hard for missing...if at all.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I haven't 100% quantified it yet, but I'm pretty sure that Mario's Up-B platform shenanigans on BF work just as well, if not better on Brinstar.

Like Up-Bing to land on the top platform, not to mention tricking people by dropping through platforms.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
From edge to platform: Up-B lands there nicely, just hold up while doing it for the right angle. Also, since the tethers are most the time there, it extends the already broken hitboxes of Up-B to make it somewhat safe to come up from the edge if you find yourself in a sticky situation.

Another thing about D-air / Up-B kills:

I meant to say to use these options when you both bounce off the lava, because at (most)times you'll fly really close to each other and that upward momentum + Up-B or D-air adds up. Trust me, since both of you guys are flying up, its REALLY hard for them to SDI out of the way of D-air, making it a good option of the 2. Up-B is kinda(IMO) meant if they are too far away from your D-air, meaning they DI'd to the side(s), and you catch them with that. If it doesn't kill upwards... It will definitely send them scarily close to the edge blast zones. Try it some time ;)

Top Bottom