• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird video game character trend

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, you know that Nintendo, Konami, and Sega are Japanese companies right? OK, so they are Japanese, so in that tense, their characters are of Japanese origin. Here's the weird bit, While their origins do come from Japan, few (if any) of these character (especially the ones in Brawl), are Aisan. I'm NOT trying to be racist, but wouldn't they have at least one character who's bio states that they have a Japanese origin. Mario for example, Nintendo's mascot, is Italian, and I can go through the entire list in Brawl to explain my point.

Mario: Italian
Luigi: also Italian
Peach: Mushroom kingdom, and according to the intro to Super Mario Sunshine, is in the western world
Bowser: see Peach
DK: Kongo Jungle, which, according to several games, is either on it's ow island or near Mushroom Kingdom
Diddy: See DK
Yoshi: own Island, likely near Mushroom kingdom
Wario: Possibly Italian
Link: Hyrule, somewhere
Zelda: See Link
Ganondorf: see link
Toon Link: see Link, except flooded
Samus: While K-2l is a colony on Earth, where is in question, and considering that she's Caucasian she seems western
Pit: angel world
Ice Climbers: how many mountains with Ice do you think are in Japan, and considering the recent stage, it looks like they are from the arctic
ROB: Robot, OK, he may be from Japan
Kirby: Planet Pop Star, not Earth
Meta Knight: See Kirby
Dedede: see Kirby
Olimar: Another Planet I can't spell
Fox: Lylat, not even in our solar system
Falco: See Fox
Wolf: See Fox
C. Falcon: Port Town., likely near Florida
Pikachu: worldwide
PT: Kanto, while it is based of a region in Japan, it is unclear (and unlikely) that they are two of the same
Lucario: Sinnoh, Which is like Kanto in basis and actual Location
Jigglypuff: Worldwide
Marth: Land I don't even know how to spell
Ike: diferent area than Marth
Ness: Eagleland: a play on the US
Lucas: Nowhere Island, an area with western impact
G&W: Flat world, likely a dimension between two buttons
Snake: US
Sonic: unknown

If you know of any Asian character made by Japanese companies, tell me. This thread was made to ask to see if you noticed this, and possible reasons why. (Likely will be locked, and I'm risking getting banned again, so please post quick)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hyrule isn't of this, or any planet. It's a land depicted as a "heavenly" place, or more so, a place that exists merely in the mind, but thought highly of (hence HIGH-RULE). It's not supposed to be anywhere in particular, but rather a fantasy world, with fantastical denizens.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
This thread was made to ask to see if you noticed this, and possible reasons why. (Likely will be locked, and I'm risking getting banned again, so please post quick)
Lol, anyway, Samurai Goroh must be asain!
Marth is likely european, the rapier is a european sword, rather than thing like Katanas used in Japan. Ike likeley also follows this trend.

K2-L wasn't a colony on earth, I think it was a fuel harvesting colony, and all the humans on the planet were killed, except Ms. Obvious.

Who else can we figure out the nationality of?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Wait, is Bandai a Japanese company, because the game says that is made by Bandai & Namco, and I'm sure that Namco is Japanese (they made Pac-Man)?

Spire

III
BRoomer
@ SpireIII: OK you got me there

@ John the galactic: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/K-2L
Told ya K-2L was on Earth. Also, they only said that the raid ultimately Killed all the colonists, It said nothing about the remainder of the planet.
"A colony of the planet Earth," suggests that it is not connected to Earth, but has rather been settled by those from Earth. The Space Pirates could not totally destroy Earth, but they can a colony, as the colony is a station.

Ahhh, reminds me of that Bowie album "Station to Station". I'm going to listen to that now.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Earth Colony K-2L is a colony of the planet Earth on which Samus Aran was born. A little after Samus's birth, Zebesian Space Pirates attacked it, destroying it and leaving Samus the only survivor. The Chozo intercepted the colony's distress signal and rushed over, rescuing Samus just in time. It is unknown what happened to the colony after Samus left. Her parents were killed like the rest.
K2-L was a colony OF Earth. If it was on Earth then the Galactic Federation would of Intercepted the Pirates before they got into the Atmosphere, with its orbital defense systems like the one on Norion.

EDIT: SpireIII beat me too it :(

Even though some Characters are not from Earth its easy to see where they would fit in.

Fox: Likely American

Falco: Italian. Has a Brooklyn Accent. coincidentally Mario & Luigi also comes from Brooklyn.

Wolf: Accent range from first British, then Western Canadian and now Texan.

Bill: Californian and recently Texan

Peppy: Texan

Krystal: British

Snake: Under Debate. From Vulcan Raven it maybe that Naked Snake and his clones are from Mongolia.

MetaKnight: Spanish accents

Pokemon: Worldwide(duh)

kr3wman

Smash Master
Tecmo - Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi.
SNK Playmore - Seriously, more than you can count (Atleast 30, probably more.)
Capcom - Ryu, Akuma, Sakura, E. Honda, Karin, R. Mika, Maki, Ibuki, Makoto.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Are you targeting my typo? The E-Manga places K-2L on a planet, which means ON the planet. The Chemical fuel could have been renamed since our time to Samus', and We also shouldn't forget that the Pirates actually GOT ON NORION despite a fleet above the planet.

@ Darkslash:
A: who's Bill?
B: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Solid_Snake, Proof that Solid Snake is American
C: couldn't it be their voice actors happen to be from there? That would actually make sense (Meta Knight I'm not entirely sure though)

@kr3wman: OK, now, how about ones from Nintendo, Konami, and Sega.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Characters from Japanese productions AREN'T Japanese because Japanese people aren't exotic to them. If it doesn't have to reflect reality, then they can easily toss whoever they need to in there, and they're likely going to put someone other than a Japanese person to heighten the fantasy. It's the same reason that American productions sometimes put Japanese people in there: They're exotic to us, and it heightens the fantasy.

Kros

Smash Apprentice
the Rob thing was spot on.
I remember hearing that Ganondorf was arabian based.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I've got one that's not really a character, but it is Japanese.

In Luigi's Mansion, in the Wardrobe Room, there is a traditional Japanese clothing for women hanging between the left and middle wardrobes. Don't know what it's called.

Ilex

Smash Ace
It's because if all characters were asian, they'd all look the exact same. White people make good characters because they come in different colours of hair, eyes, face shapes, height, etc. Japanese people are pretty much very similar in their appearance so making original character designs would get difficult. this is why you see so few japanese characters in anime.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
http://metroidrecon.planets.gamespy.com/comics/

http://metroidrecon.planets.gamespy.com/comics/manga1/metroidmanga_v1_ch1_34.jpg
I doubt Earth is out of the way planet.

Read/look at the pictures, K2L obviously is not as populous as Earth.
And everyone on K2-L was killed, if K2-L was Earth, either Samus could have just easily been sent off to adoption or there would have been a significant military force to stop the pirates.
By the way, I thought the pirates were raiders, and why would the raider go and attack Earth itself.

By the way, I doubt by colony they meant it in the same way used in the 18th century but more like how it was used in Gundam or something, where they are off earth places to live, this one is a planet.

Darkslash

Smash Master
@ Darkslash:
A: who's Bill?
B: http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Solid_Snake, Proof that Solid Snake is American
C: couldn't it be their voice actors happen to be from there? That would actually make sense (Meta Knight I'm not entirely sure though)
You havn't played Star Fox?

Bill is Fox's old friend from the Cornerian Academy. They meet up again in the Lylat Wars(Star Fox 64) and on the Angler Blitz(Star Fox Command) on Katina. In SF64 he had a Californian accent. In command he spoke like he was from Texas

Snake may be American but his Orgins may have been from Mongolia.

If they keep using the same accent for a certain character then that means that they would originate there.

Ohh yea more

Ganondorf: As Gerudos are based on Middle Eastern(Gerudo desert, Gerudo Valley) Ganondorf could be Arabic

Charizard92

Smash Champion
http://metroidrecon.planets.gamespy.com/comics/

http://metroidrecon.planets.gamespy.com/comics/manga1/metroidmanga_v1_ch1_34.jpg
I doubt Earth is out of the way planet.

Read/look at the pictures, K2L obviously is not as populous as Earth.
And everyone on K2-L was killed, if K2-L was Earth, either Samus could have just easily been sent off to adoption or there would have been a significant military force to stop the pirates.
By the way, I thought the pirates were raiders, and why would the raider go and attack Earth itself.

By the way, I doubt by colony they meant it in the same way used in the 18th century but more like how it was used in Gundam or something, where they are off earth places to live, this one is a planet.
A: This takes place years into the future. There is potential that outside of a few colonies, Earth is a sparse planet with a few spots of human habitation.
B: The actual size of K-2L isn't known, but it can't be world wide, as the curvature of a planet prevents any heat wave from encompassing a large area (if a meteor double the size of the one that Killed the Dinosaurs hit Ohio, the citizens in LA will not be hit by fore, even though a couple states away, exposed flesh would be burned).
C: K-2L went up in a fiery explosion, if that happened on a station, not even Ridley or Samus would have survived.
D: even as of right now, there are areas on Earth with a small human population, and adding a couple billion more will still leave pockets where it is nearly impossible to find you.
E: Samus didn't travel far until she was discovered by Chozo, who have very advanced technology, and were near the vicinity at the time.
F: behold, yet another Wikitroid Page that supports my claim http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Earth
G: this is off topic, can we refocus on the issue at hand?

@ Darkslash: no, I haven't (and still wondering why I didn't get into Starfox adventures when it was released, especially since I'm a dinosaur fanatic and I saw Jurassic Park 3 in theaters when I was 9 [without flinching] so the T rating shouldn't be a deterrent) (whacks head against desk)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Sonic lives on the planet Mobius(established by the various Sonic cartoons, including Sonic X).
Are we counting comics and cartoons as canon to video games now?

And does it even matter where Sonic lives? I would think most non-human characters would be irrelevant to this topic because there's no real way to tell what nationality they are. When you get right down to it, Sonic's just blue.

Darkslash

Smash Master
EDIT: Removed all the off topic stuff.

Link: In Real Life could be European.
Ryu: He's a Ninja so he's Japanese
Setsuna F. Seiei: He's a anime character in a game so it kninda counts...He's Kurdish but lives in Japan and has a Japanese code name. His real name sounds Middle Eastern though

And does it even matter where Sonic lives? I would think most non-human characters would be irrelevant to this topic because there's no real way to tell what nationality they are. When you get right down to it, Sonic's just blue.
Try to find the dominant accent. like Falco sounds like he's from Brooklyn, Peppy is from Texas, and Fox sounds Western American.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Voice over doesn't count, and Comics only count if not explained by the company itself (ex. Nintendo never stated what happened in K-2L, but the E-manga does), and Cartoons don't count at all (other than Pokemon, which doesn't help really).

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
@Charizard92: The name of Olimar's home planet is Hocotate.

Sonic lives on the planet Mobius(established by the various Sonic cartoons, including Sonic X).

I hope that helped.:)
The cartoons aren't I repeat AREN'T canon to the games.

Sonic games take place on Earth. Always have been. Always will

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's because if all characters were asian, they'd all look the exact same. White people make good characters because they come in different colours of hair, eyes, face shapes, height, etc. Japanese people are pretty much very similar in their appearance so making original character designs would get difficult. this is why you see so few japanese characters in anime.
This is why you see so many Japanese characters with blue, green and pink hair, amongst the many, many other bizarre hair colors. Oh, they also give their characters cat ears and tails to differentiate them more, well, too much. I have really never understood these ideals.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Try to find the dominant accent. like Falco sounds like he's from Brooklyn, Peppy is from Texas, and Fox sounds Western American.
But that only counts in the English version of the game, where those accents exist. In Japan, they all just sound Japanese. So does their nationality just change depending on what version of the game your playing? And if so, doesn't that defeat the purpose entirely?

Besides, character voices change. In StarFox 64, Falco DIDN'T have a Brooklyn accent (and to be honest, I wish he still didn't), and Peppy DIDN'T have a Texas accent. Falco just sounded like an indistinct American and Peppy just sounded old.

So as far as I'm concerned, voices don't count for anything. All you can base anything on is appearance. And since anthropomorphic animals don't show distinct physical characteristics pertaining to race (how could they? Their skin's covered in fur, feathers, or scales and their facial structure is that of the animal they're derived from rather than any human race), it's impossible to tell.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
The cartoons aren't I repeat AREN'T canon to the games.

Sonic games take place on Earth. Always have been. Always will
Right, Sonic is just a hedgehog with a mutated speed ability that likes to spin around.
He must be from Montauk, and is likely related to the freaking whatever(racoon?) that washed up on shore.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Fun Video Game Fact Time!

Big Boss, the genetic original of Solid Snake, was once a third generation Japanese American, which would make Snake Japanese American. However this was retconned in later games so you just ignore this entire post!

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Oh, I forgot to mention, the carpenters that have to be saved in the Gerudo Fortress in Zelda OoT have Japanese names. I can't remember all their names, but one of them was Ichiro the Carpenter.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I've compiled evidence to prove Falco is Italian or a part of Zoness(his supposedly home planet) in origin

Falco: Is the genus word for Falcons. Genus words are Latin. Latin historically spoken in Ancient Rome. Rome is in Italy.

Falco(again): Falco is the Italian Word for Hawk

Lombardi: Is a Italian surname taken from the Italian region Lombardy

Accent: His Accent are sound Brooklyn of Origin.

I just felt LoZish so i had to color the names lulz.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yet all of the games that have had a plotline thus far have indicated that he lives on Earth, and from what I can tell, the USA.

I've compiled evidence to prove Falco is Italian or a part of Zoness(his supposedly home planet) in origin

Falco: Is the genus word for Falcons. Genus words are Latin. Latin historically spoken in Ancient Rome. Rome is in Italy.

Falco(again): Falco is the Italian Word for Hawk

Lombardi: Is a Italian surname taken from the Italian region Lombardy

Accent: His Accent are sound Brooklyn of Origin.

I just felt LoZish so i had to color the names lulz.
The surname makes sense, but saying that Falco is the genus name and thus he's italian is silly. I could probably come up with examples where that doesn't work. Although Latin is awesome.

Also, Charizard92, as for K2-L, it is a COLONY OF Earth, that's enough said. Jamestown was a colony of England. Was it in England? No, it was in America. That's what a colony of something is. It's in a separate location from where the original people live.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
^ Johnthegalacttic already settled that one in private messages, we don't need to go up that tree again.

Falco is named after both an Australian Musician and a Hollywood special effects artist, you can check it again on the wikipedia page here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_the_Star_Fox_series#Falco_Lombardi

(Note, you have to look under Falco, as it contains much of the cast)

Reason, to prove that using names has absolutely no point, especially when it is derived from two different sources, both speaking English. Please stop guessing the origin of non Human species, especially those not on Earth, unless you can find what planet they are from.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I bring with me everyones favorite cybernetically and biologically enhanced human!
MASTER CHIEF!!!!!11!!!ONE!!!
His name is John, Spartan number 117, he was born on Eridanus II. He was described as having brown hair, freckles, and a gap between his teeth, John also was described as very pale from being in his suit, this was during the events of the original halo game.
He is likely Caucasian. But still, you don't get to see his face.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
No Bringing Halo In This Thread!
why not, he is only talking about Master Chief and he is a video game character

Firus, Darkslash might have gone to far on falco's origin, but the idea is right. You can place it in English:
The raptor (bird of prey) that Falco is based on is the FALCOn. and Falco having a Brooklyn/New York accent would make him American. The last name Lombardi is an actual last name. Lombardi being italian would probably make him like an immigrant to the New York area of Little Italy. So Falco is more of an Italian/American.

Darkslash

Smash Master
The surname makes sense, but saying that Falco is the genus name and thus he's italian is silly. I could probably come up with examples where that doesn't work. Although Latin is awesome.
what i really meant is some orgin in Italian. He has a Brooklyn Accent, and coincidentally as i said before The Mario Bros came from that place. So that could make a place on Zoness(his supposedly home planet) Brooklyn or New York style.

And what i could take from the Star Fox Games

Fox,james and Peppy: Corneria
Slippy: Aquas
Falco and Katt: Zoness
Krystal: Cerinia

Charizard92

Smash Champion
why not, he is only talking about Master Chief and he is a video game character
Halo is too popular for it's own good, and Microsoft makes it, which is located in the US. In the confines of this thread, pointless.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Yet all of the games that have had a plotline thus far have indicated that he lives on Earth, and from what I can tell, the USA.
ALL of the Sonic games take place on Earth. Mobius was NEVER mentioned in ANY of the games or Japanese manual, or even English manuals. Hell, if you want to get technical, in the comics Mobius IS Earth in the far future.

In Sonic X, Sonic's homeworld is unnamed.

If cartoon spinoffs were canon to the original work, we would be having that stupid bratty cave child, Oogtar or whatever, in the Mario games.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Resident Evil is a very good confirmation of the OP's point. Made by Capcom, a Japanese company, yet the central characters (Chris and Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine, Albert Wesker, Leon Kennedy) are all distinctly American. The Japanese just think Americans look cool. I think that's all.

But, on the topic of Star Fox, I agree with Falco's home planet (Zoness, I'm fairly certain) being the Lylat equivalent of a mob-controlled Brooklyn or Boston type environment. Not only does he now have a Brooklyn accent, but he's also been seen to use phrases like "Let's put this creep on ice." and it's stated by several sources (and a few times in the games, unless I'm mistaken) that he was once a gang member, which strengthens this argument. Plus, his last name is Lombardi. I still think he could have been a Lorenzo, but meh.

Top Bottom