• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Match-up Discussion~ #7: Peach

DTP

L o s t - in reality~

Image by ~AmuthAlexiel

Peach

2nd character for the week/month >__<

I've always personally found this match-up to be fairly even.
Peach can be tricky at times. Her float game and her glide tossing means she'll be all over the place at times. But because of Luigi's killing potential they might play a bit more cautiously. Watch out for her turnips. She can camp with them if she wants.

What to think about.

- Do Peachs hit Luigi out of his cyclone or simply stop him?
- Air battle! Who wins for the most part and what do we need to look out for?
- And as usual, stage choices. Where to go....

Here's a great way to discuss match ups if you want to use it. Mentioned by Teneban.
1) First thoughts
2) What followups after a jab do we have ?
3) Approaching
4) Defense & camping
5) Edge game
6) The KO stuff
7)Stage stuff

hiROI

Smash Lord
I havent played Polmex a lot, only about once or twice, and they were close. If Peach fails to autocancels one of her attacks by accident, Luigi can punish with a kill move maybe. But in this matchup, Peach will be cautious and space fairs and use turnips. Thats all I have :(

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I feel it's tipped slightly in Luigi's favor...will elaborate more later possible, but I will say this.

Luigi's Up titled Fsmash hits more often on a floating Peach then most characters...big plus. On the flipside, Up B is harder to land due to floating, and if you land it on her floating, it's weaker due to it being an aerial shoryuken. Watch out for the floating Dair, that's a pain.

Her projectile is more versatile but I think Fireballs can cancel most of em out.

Her airdodge sucks, worst in the game, so she's not terribly hard to juggle with aerials.

Recovery, great horizontal, but the umbrella isn't too great vertical wise, doesn't sweetspot the edge well, so when she's low she may possible be gimpable.

And tornado's an ok approach in this matchup I feel.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
junkinthtrunk (6:02:52 PM): thanks lol i feel like we should have gotten top 3 but can't really complain
junkinthtrunk (6:02:57 PM): what set did you watch?
hippiedudecm (6:03:15 PM): couldnt watch =( but saw bracket image/results
hippiedudecm (6:03:20 PM): i thought u quit marth lol
junkinthtrunk (6:04:29 PM): i dont think i played marth
junkinthtrunk is available (6:05:03 PM)
tired
hippiedudecm (6:05:14 PM): i think thats what it said in the results somewhere
hippiedudecm (6:05:20 PM): what was it like fighting m2k? lol
junkinthtrunk (6:05:31 PM): gay as hell but also i learned
junkinthtrunk (6:07:36 PM): he just
junkinthtrunk (6:07:44 PM): it feels like there's nothing you can do lol
hippiedudecm (6:07:52 PM): looool
hippiedudecm (6:07:58 PM): he covers all of your options well right?
junkinthtrunk (6:08:03 PM): yeah and
junkinthtrunk (6:08:08 PM): if you hit him with something
junkinthtrunk (6:08:12 PM): he never gets hit by that again
hippiedudecm (6:08:31 PM): ooo
hippiedudecm (6:08:39 PM): must be hell as d3 fighting m2ks mk lol
junkinthtrunk (6:09:41 PM): pretty much
junkinthtrunk (6:09:46 PM): game 1 was like almost jv 4
junkinthtrunk (6:09:55 PM): i put like 50% on him before he started ****ing around
junkinthtrunk (6:09:55 PM): lol
junkinthtrunk (6:10:07 PM): then we just talked about my habits
junkinthtrunk (6:10:12 PM): and i did a lot better game 2
junkinthtrunk (6:10:18 PM): but it was still like no way i was going to win
junkinthtrunk (6:10:32 PM): then i asked how playing CO was and he said he doesn't have to try very hard to beat any d3 and i was all T-T
hippiedudecm (6:10:45 PM): lmfaooooo
hippiedudecm (6:10:50 PM): wow mad geynesss
hippiedudecm (6:11:02 PM): hes that chill enough to talk about your habits inbetween games? lol
junkinthtrunk (6:11:26 PM): well i just said before
junkinthtrunk (6:11:28 PM): i know youre going to win
junkinthtrunk (6:11:37 PM): can you just tell me as much as you know about the matchup
junkinthtrunk (6:11:45 PM): even if you dont know ddd' sside at least what youre thinking
junkinthtrunk (6:11:49 PM): as mk
hippiedudecm (6:15:35 PM): loool that's pretty cool i should do that XD
hippiedudecm (6:15:50 PM): how come u team'd with zex? what was ur team? how come u didn't team with warpstatus?
junkinthtrunk (6:27:07 PM): i teamed with zex because
junkinthtrunk (6:27:12 PM): zex always teams with erow
junkinthtrunk (6:27:15 PM): but erow couldnt go
junkinthtrunk (6:27:20 PM): so sean and zex were going to team
junkinthtrunk (6:27:31 PM): but they did really bad at the regional before, the "test" regional
junkinthtrunk (6:27:48 PM): like they lost to "randoms"
junkinthtrunk (6:27:55 PM): so zex felt more comfortable teaming with me
junkinthtrunk (6:28:03 PM): and we either went ddd mk or mk mk
junkinthtrunk (6:28:19 PM): and im not going to team with warp anymore
junkinthtrunk (6:28:36 PM): there was a point where he was way better than me in singles and maybe even in doubles but now
junkinthtrunk (6:28:55 PM): i'm like slightly better in singles but more importantly he's stayed the same in doubles and i've gotten a lot better
junkinthtrunk (6:29:03 PM): i try to help him but he always gets caught up in the 1v1
junkinthtrunk (6:29:12 PM): when thats like the worst mentality for teams
hippiedudecm (6:29:24 PM): wow that's mad gay lol
hippiedudecm (6:29:37 PM): didnt you have to fight him in losers bracket too?
junkinthtrunk (6:29:45 PM): yeah it was close
hippiedudecm (6:30:04 PM): ooo so you played it out then? since ur like all training partners and what not
junkinthtrunk (6:30:33 PM): its not like we hate each other its just we both play support on teams, and he's horrible at saving and he gets too caught up in the 1v1 so once he learns that maybe i'll team with him again but probably not it's just our styles/characters don't work well we both play support
junkinthtrunk (6:30:49 PM): we played it out even though i was going to move on anyway regardless
hippiedudecm (6:32:24 PM): ooo l see l see thats cool to know, mad hard to carry the team to victory lol
junkinthtrunk (6:32:34 PM): basically
junkinthtrunk (6:32:42 PM): you need metaknight on your team
junkinthtrunk (6:32:50 PM): youre at a significant disadvantage if you arent
junkinthtrunk (6:32:57 PM): then you need someone thats good at support
junkinthtrunk (6:33:04 PM): thats like the most proven formula for teams
junkinthtrunk (6:33:19 PM): unfortunately that'll probably happen to you and rukkiko eventually
junkinthtrunk (6:33:23 PM): you can get pretty far using your current team but
junkinthtrunk (6:33:43 PM): if you meet double mk or something like that and they decide to double team rukkiko its going to be really hard for you to save
junkinthtrunk (6:34:01 PM): as luigi you play support distraction, while rukkiko plays support tank (if he plays it right)
junkinthtrunk (6:34:06 PM): usually you need a lead (something)
hippiedudecm (6:34:39 PM): lol yeah i was thinking that couple seconds of ago, we sorta ran into that kind of trouble, i guess thats why he also plays mk/marth in teams pretty well
hippiedudecm (6:34:45 PM): luigi and ddd is so crap if we dont team combo
hippiedudecm (6:35:14 PM): like on saturday we lost to a wario/lucario randoms, mostly because we got too cocky and ego johns and we just kept autopiloting
hippiedudecm (6:35:43 PM): but when we fought ADHD/Ninjalink, we did so much better agianst them, prolly cuz we didn't care at that point and l usually take playing pros a play2learn experience not play2win
hippiedudecm (6:36:05 PM): plus my real goal was just to **** adhd's diddy kong in teams (which i did, and knocked him out first in both games lol)
junkinthtrunk (6:36:18 PM): nice lol
hippiedudecm (6:36:27 PM): another thing with our team, is that, our team has THE WORST AERIAL MOVEMENT EVER XD
hippiedudecm (6:36:39 PM): ddd i think has worst aerial movement and luigi has the worst 2nd aerial movement in the game lol
hippiedudecm (6:37:47 PM): but yea mad weird we did horrible against randoms but did better against pros, got to cocky/ego on the line and ****

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Why would you even do a aerial shoryuken in the first place.....?

And how's her airdodge the worst in the game........?

Meh, I've landed an aerial shoryuken the odd time...

And her airdodge was deemed the worst according to frame data in a certain thread on here so I remember.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I'm gonna just start with this and get into it more 2morrow. I'm tired.

Peach can pretty much pressure luigi well with turnips and a good spacing game. Once he is off the stage, he is in serious trouble for he can be taken out pretty easy with good edgeguarding. Peach can beat him in the airwith good spacing, the only move that he has with good range up there is his Bair. If he dash attacks you, you can end up behind him with TDI (Tap DI) Same with the tornado. Dsmash does not kill so well for when you get it, you don't go straight up. You travel at a angle. And Fsmash does not have that much range. If you save you r moves, Luigi won't be alive for long, really on edgeguards. Done right, he should not be alive past 120.

Luigi has the combo and combo breaker on Peach (Nair). It is not safe to stay inside luigi for too long. A jab combo to Up-B is taking Peach out quick. And a fresh Fsmash can too. Once Peach is hit at low percents, Luigi can drag her across the field. His pressure game is good and can be all over you with his quick air attacks that don't lag. Getting turnips can be a pain sometimes cause he can just tornado you. He can Create a wave of Fireballs to get close to you and screw you both in the air and ground. Thus making it hard to approach him.

Match up is even.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
In luigi's favor. Bair and fireballs do bad things to her.

Dark, you wrote that as if you were talking to peach mains. Think outside the box.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You should play close attention then. I explain it from both Peach and luigi's side. I put that to start it out.

Also cause of his fireballs and his Bair (That Peach does not even need to bother with and can just leave alone) That does not make the match up in his favor. Cause for that matter I could say we have turnips that we can do alot with, can glide toss, edgeguard you well and can even gimp you, The match up is in Peach Favor. But I am not cause there is more too it than that. Same with Luigi.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I would have said its even but maybe slightly in Peachs favour? I dunno, I don't play vs Luigi anymore. Hasn't Praxis played LuigiKing recently?

Watch out for her F Tilt and stutter step F Smashes as they'll beat out your aerials. Fireballs work well if Peach is persistant on Floating all over the place but watch out for being punished close up. Her Fair outranges your aerials. If you get hit by a Dair, DI up and Nair her, that can be pretty painful when it works

I can't really think of anything else right now lol...expect Peach to camp you. Oh and her airdodge is the worst in the game frames 4-19 are invincibile and it lasts for 49 frames or something? I think its half a second shes vunerable for

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Peach also has her Nair to break combos. Also, watch out for her jab. Comes out on range 2, high priority and long range. Excellent as a GTFO, running away or keeping space between each other. You will probably feel this move a lot. Maintaining the right distance is quite important in this match-up.

Dead even to me.

:053:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Luigi's Nair breaks combos better than we do. That is why it is not safe to be inside him for too long. Cause his Nair can stop nearly anything.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Me and praxis talked about the matchup a bit, and I think its even and can lean in eithers favor 55/45 depending on stage choice. I think closer stages like brinstar that mess up her level spacing game are good for luigi, and stuff like FD leans in Peach's favor.

Anyway what you should be doing is... well... this but better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbxcheOUGU

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I think it's 50:50.

Luigi can't really combo Peach much at all, Peach has tons of safe pokes and pressures on shield that would even be unpunishable on characters that DIDN'T slide back a mile and are now really easy to do, and Peach can camp to avoid his kill moves really well. Turnip OOS punishes almost everything Luigi does.

But Luigi kills Peach soooooo much sooner than he kills her if she slips up. :(

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Luigi's Jab >>>>>>>> Peach's Jab.

They have about the same range, but Luigi's followups and Jab combo >>>>>>> Peach's.

Also, they come out on exactly the same frame.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I wish I could expand more about why I think this matchup is in luigi's favor, but I'm really not that much of an authority.

What I know for sure is that luigi owns the horizontals in this matchup and peach owns the verticals. Sort of the opposite of the jiggs match. You don't want to be trapped in your shield, so walking away is usually your best defensive option. Peach is nasty on luigi's shield.

But fireball game overall tends to beat turnip game and forces peach to approach. Fireballs also beat float if you position yourself right. Not to mention bair outspaces peach's non-golfclub moveset.

On top of it, if you ban japes your cps outshine hers. She can't ban frigate AND cruise.

My peach experience is mostly from Rowan/draik roan before he quit, and hilt's peach secondary. For what it's worth.

I assume there are people who know this matchup better than me but I really feel like it's 55 in luigi's favor.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I wish I could expand more about why I think this matchup is in luigi's favor, but I'm really not that much of an authority.

What I know for sure is that luigi owns the horizontals in this matchup and peach owns the verticals. Sort of the opposite of the jiggs match. You don't want to be trapped in your shield, so walking away is usually your best defensive option. Peach is nasty on luigi's shield.

But fireball game overall tends to beat turnip game and forces peach to approach. Fireballs also beat float if you position yourself right. Not to mention bair outspaces peach's non-golfclub moveset.

On top of it, if you ban japes your cps outshine hers. She can't ban frigate AND cruise.

My peach experience is mostly from Rowan/draik roan before he quit, and hilt's peach secondary. For what it's worth.

I assume there are people who know this matchup better than me but I really feel like it's 55 in luigi's favor.
How does his counterpicks outshine her? Where would you take me that beats the options on where I would take you.

And why do you think Peach can't fight you on frigate and cruise?

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Peach's recovery can be really GAY. It just eliminates our options of gimp
Our DI is not that good, fair will kill at 130%+
In other ways, her air camping makes her an easy target for aerials (remember: Luigi's an aerial monster, the best aerial after jiggs in my op).
Her strongest aerial is forward aerial that is more laggy than our forward smash, making it hittable, so go calm, BAIR will be your best option, outranges her nair that is her fast aerial (other are trash).
Cyclone to the turnips (I don't think you will need it though, just shield the turnips, don't risk the cyclone lag).
Don't risk Jab > Upb because peach is floaty and may SDI out of it.
Safe bthrow kills at 170% approximately
Frigate orpheon and Battlefield would be killer choices
Dair is gay, in turnip cases, shield SH fireball, or FH fireball, whatever, just make sure that this is going to HIT
Jab > Dsmash
i go for 55:45 Luigi because she's not THAT bad against him :(

OH YES her airdodge sucks camels.

Top Bottom