• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browny

Smash Hater
so like, we should seriously try to get this thread closed/unstickied.

I mean seriously, why is a thread full of nothing but mis-information and widespread retardism deserving of a sticky, least of all existing. It sure isnt beneficial for any new people looking to pick up sonic.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
so like, we should seriously try to get this thread closed/unstickied.

I mean seriously, why is a thread full of nothing but mis-information and widespread retardism deserving of a sticky, least of all existing. It sure isnt beneficial for any new people looking to pick up sonic.
lol then we should keep it up.

New people generally don't look at stickies.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Random alert...

A1

I also realize that they know nothing of spin shot, which increases Sonic's airspeed obviously.

They didn't mention Sonic's steaktacular ability to rack up damage, something a good Sonic is capable of doing.

Question: does eating too much steak slow you down or speed you up?

Boxob

Smash Champion
You can't eat too much steak.

I had four triple steak burritos.

I was still wanting more steak.

I ran back to my house with Sonic speed for more money.

I came back and had two more for dinner.

There is no such thing as too much steak.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Uhm guys, we can always just ask them to get this unstickied or something.

And if they refuse, then we bombard them with Steaktomic bombs.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I dunno why, but the lamer the steak jokes get, the funnier it is :laugh:

I wish I had something useful to say here. I might have the means to record videos now, I'll look into getting Tenki some frame data...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Think of it this way:

When a new sonic player comes in here, they will undoubtedly read this thread and see an accurate representation of sonic in the metagame at large. What that is here would you want to embellish on? What would you want to fix? Post that way... because we'll probably end up coming back someday.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Think of it this way:

When a new sonic player comes in here, they will undoubtedly read this thread and see an accurate representation of sonic in the metagame at large. What that is here would you want to embellish on? What would you want to fix? Post that way... because we'll probably end up coming back someday.
Now this is more like it, I'll get to this.

Browny

Smash Hater
For the sake of not cluttering up this page, no joke OS, I would have simply quoted every single post made by SBR members until this was openened on these forums, and say delete them all.

The majority of the posts are either wrong, mis-informed or spam.

infomon

Smash Scientist
*shrug* well, here's MY summary write-up. Just my impressions I guess. What would you (other Sonic mains) change/add?

Sonic has an amazing recovery and is excellent at gimping. His playstyle relies heavily on punishment; he has a myriad of ways to cancel approaches, most of which are vulnerable, so a Sonic must provoke a response, or be very confident in landing the hit. Sonic's a very difficult character to use effectively, so very few even bother; his weaknesses are so much more evident than his strengths. Many moves are lacking, and none are particularly impressive on their own; his great stage control and pressure tactics can only make up for it so much. Nevertheless, fighting a good Sonic will be surpising and exceptionally frustrating.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Oh God, this is gonna be LONG

^He's actually rather slow overall. He just has a very fast running speed. But that doesn't really make too much of a difference in Brawl :(.
When you're character stinks overall, and running speed is your greatest attribute, it definitely does make a difference. Not nearly enough people make use of Sonic's speed effectively.

It's a red herring XD

Sonic is mostly limited by his low priority. MK's d-tilt in place > everything Sonic has. :(
Nop, sonics tilts will clang with MKs, and most every other chars tilts. MKs dtilt comes out fast, but Sonics dtilt has a longer lasting hitbox if I'm not mistaken, and his ftilt outranges MKs dtilt. Also, Sonic's Spindash will at worst clang with dtilt from a smart distance. Sonics ftilt and dtilt also shieldpoke.

The running speed actually does allow you to do quite a bit with those dash attacks.
Jeff plays a mean Sonic, but you ultimately just hit him through his attacks and avoid his kill moves and you can beat it most of the time.
Looll, like mathos said, this is true about any matchup: don't get hit. You won't be hitting Sonic out of all his attacks. bad priority is OVERLY exagerated. His only moves with "bad" priority are his homing attack, SDR(spindash roll from SideB or DownB) when used from too far or after too many turnarounds or with too little of a charge, and his ASC generally does poorly against disjointed moves. Otherwise everything else is at worst average. You can make a case for Nairbecause its not very disjointed, but its also very fast.

Sonic has like, one. F-smash. His u-air and bair can also work, but you either have to be set up beforehand or completely brain dead to get hit with them. This makes it difficult.

I enjoy using tilts against Sonic, because the moment he starts his dash animation there is nothing he can do against them.
Bair will be used as much as fsmash to kill, and it is not hard to land at all. Dsmash is Sonics quickest smash, and is quite reliable as well. Some sonics spam bair like crazy though, so staleness occurs.

That last part is quite fail, sorry OS. Once sonic is in his dash, for one he can like, shield lol. He quickly slides a significant distance after shielding too, so chances are he will have slided into range of grabbing you after shielding a move. But he also has SideB cancels and a plethora of other options.

His only reliable killing moves are forward smash (comes out surprisingly fast) and sometimes bair. You can often just plow through whatever he comes at you with and even if he does get a hit in it's no big deal. Fine by me, Sonic is Snake's mortal enemy.
Lol, fsmash fast. Compared to what, Ike fsmash? And you can't just plow through Sonic's moves.

I have played against some decent Sonics and I think they are actually better played walking than running. Using spacing, Sonic can use tilts and forward smash to slowly approach/control space. It's more boring than running all over the stage, but effective. Once you have your opponent playing a more slow, paced game, then you can abuse the quick running speed for dash attacks and grabs. He is, by no means, top tier. But he really does have some decent options for racking up damage and his F-Smash comes out fast enough that once he's got you at a high percent, he can work effectively for a kill. BAir also comes out quickly and picks up a lot of kills.
This may be true for some matchups, but its contingent on player style. All the best Sonics have drastically different playstyles that are more or less effective on different chars for each. Its important to be dynamic in your playstlyle while still taking advantage of his speed. But I agree with much of this however.

I've played multiple sonic players (Hella, Lucky and Mr 3000) and find that this matchup takes extremeeeee patience. Sonic has a few things that are going for him but I feel they are easily outclassed with patience. Also, Sonic isn't too bad at gimping, I've been gimped by him on several occasions as he drops down and back airs or does that forward air after I've already used my jump. I think patience beats out all his approaches and kill set ups, though.
Patience can be of virtue against Sonic, since the character himself has like none, lol. Faints however limit your options through patience, because you basically have less than a 50% chance of knowing what Sonic will do everytime he will approach, no matter hoow good your reading is. And his approaches are safe. About the players, 3000 is good, but I still don't think he's using Sonic to his full potential. I've seen, at least from vids, too many mistakes or situations he couldve captialized with an AT here amd there, safely.

The last time I played Squared's sonic, was a few months ago, I pretty handily 3 stocked it. But I also had a lot of practice from playing against Rockcrock.

I like when Sonic's try to use their neutral B to recover, all you have to do is dodge and it sends them at a downward angle.

Past that, Sonic is pretty bad. Doesn't his dash attack go over Diddy Bananas, without picking them up. I think Prime told me that once.
This post is ouch. I dunno who the people you mentioned are, or if their Sonics are any good lol. Also, Sonic can change the speed of his Homing Attacks release, we can use that against you if you spotdodge. And lol, everyone picks up Bananas with a dash attack. Lol, Sonic's is actually prolly one of the best for that.

That said, he DOES do well at punishing simple mistakes. A good Sonic player will mess you up good if you play sloppy.
QFT. FD in 55 frames people.

i used to think sonic was just awful, really light with non-efficient kill moves.

but then i realized that his style of play is just different, if you can utilize his moves fully than you really just fly around all fast, never getting in harms way. a slew of spin attacks and upB always gets you out of the action and confuses your opponent, but if you are consistently giving damage while always escaping, youll eventually win with some kill moves.

i see nifty sonic tricks people do, like where he spins at you, stops right in your face and grabs. also, just "fake" spin attacks, where they start then immediately stop to throw you off
One of the best posts from the SBR. Those fake spin attacks are what we call either ASC or SideB shield cancelling, and its part of the reasonw hy our approaches are so safe. If we don't cancel sideB, it has invincibility frames and then very high priority frames afterwards, so itll likely still go through attacks. ASC has a bunch of priority upon touching the ground as well. But they can still be shield cancelled to Sonics pleasure.

What does Mr. 3000 and the like do with him that is different? From what I've seen, all the "good" Sonic players do is no different than the "bad" Sonic players... the good sonic players just do it better and call their opponent on more.

It seems Sonic's entire game is based around punishment.
Actually, I would agree with your statement on Mr. 3000, because he doesnt use ATs but is still good. The vast majority of good Sonics however, make use of his techs, which bad players don't lol. ASC and followups, good SDR followups, jab lock setups, exploiting invincibility frames, Spinshots, using Sonics ultraversatile foxtrot, etc etc.

I really think Sonic has potential against characters that have a good deal of start-up lag on their attacks as well as ending lag. Sonic is fast enough to really abuse the short startup lag on most smashes... He can dash grab many characters from a surprising distance without worrying about smash attacks. Tilts and jabs are generally fast enough to knock Sonic out of the way, but when your opponent is attempting to KO they very much have to rely on aerials. The old Melee trick of waiting until they land to grab them could work well for Sonic, as if even if he is punished by a tilt or jab it is unlikely the opponent can follow up with a KO move.
This is a good point. Again, FD in 55 frames. With proper spacing, he can punish lag oh so easily. He covers over a fourth of FD in the time it takes for his own Fsmash to come out. Sonics won't use dash grabs though, or at least not intentionally though, most of the time. SIdeB cancelled grabs or Running shield grabs are much more effective, and both give you more grab distance. Tilts aren't as effective against Sonic as you may think, because of the quite slide he gets from shielding from a run. The wait until they land to gran does indeed work well. Espy does it all the time XD.

The thing about Sonic though is that he's the only character I've witnessed that doesn't seem to be able to take back control of the match once they are thrown off. If you get him on his heels and continue to apply pressure he has few options as far as getting back on the offensive. Which is saying a lot in Brawl.
Hmm, you can argue this I guess, but I think if Sonic reverts to hit and run tactics, theres isn't much you can do: hes too quick. I actually think Sonic is one of the best characters to make a comeback, because of his easy damage racking and gimping abilities

Synopsis:

While Sonic counters Inui, past that he does little else that someone doesn't do better. Sonic is a very fun character to play and has many unique attributes that certainly change the matchup, but these do not overcome his blatant weaknesses. As fast as Sonic's dash may be, his aerial mobility is not up to par and as such his moves are often telegraphed far in advance. This makes it difficult to land aerials on an opponent for a KO, forcing you to use his f-smash as his main KO move. While Sonic is a lot of fun, he isn't that great; he will more than likely be a character that will bring about the occasional surprise in tournaments but will rarely reach the upper levels.
Sonics moves are not telegraphed for the most part, his game relies on cancelling so much, and subsequently, unpredctability and NOT telegraphing his moves. His aerial speed is geat, but you're right his mobility isnt due to poor acceleration. Difficult to land aerials on an opponent for a KO though? I wouldn't say so at all. Uair and Bair are too disjointed. Fsmash and Dsmash are both standard for killing, but Bair will actually probably be used more than Dsmash and as much as fsmash.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
D-tilt doesn't shield poke Nap.
It's fast, and it can trip people, but not shield poke, unless your saying their shield is depleted and you hit them from below. =/

Browny

Smash Hater
lol you sure love bringing up that 55 number. Id love for someone else to test that for me coz it still sounds kind of odd :/

also thanks napi for doing the hard work, i was gonna do all that but decided a simple request to have the whole thing either unstickied/deleted would do the same lulz

infomon

Smash Scientist
Also, nothing clashes with MK's Ftilt lol. MK's sword priority is categorically different than all other characters lol. But you were talking just about Dtilt I guess.

I think we gave the SBR too hard a time about the Diddy bananas comment, and other places where they said "dash attack" when they obviously meant SDR. They just don't know our funny names/acronyms; they've played against Sonics, not as Sonic. SDR rolls over bananas unphased, which is kinda lol, and definitely helps Sonic manoeuvre the stage against Diddy. Dash attack obviously picks the 'naners up.

Also, Sonic's Fair is like his best move IMO, surprised ppl don't bring it up more... it racks up soooo much damage.... mebbe cuz ppl don't SDI out of it against me :(

Browny

Smash Hater
They just don't know our funny names/acronyms; they've played against Sonics, not as Sonic.
QFT x i cant think of a big enough number

Thats the entire thing wrong with this thread. So many things posted here are so blatantly obvious that people have never played as sonic, just against some people that use him (and by the responses, are obviously doing it VERY wrong). OS' comment about how good sonics dont do anything different to bad sonics pretty much seals the deal.

infzy youre giving them far too much credit. No one would honestly believe his side b would go and pick up bananas, nothing does that except attacking it or airdodging one

infomon

Smash Scientist
infzy youre giving them far too much credit. No one would honestly believe his side b would go and pick up bananas, nothing does that except attacking it or airdodging one
You may be right. I suppose I should consider it a problem that they can't even tell the difference between our side-B, down-B, and dash attack. :urg:

But then, that's my obstacle when playing as Sonic. I've learned to do all this fancy stuff with his moveset, but my opponents don't even care. They don't need to know the difference between the 10 different ways I can turn into a spinning ball, they just hit me regardless. :laugh:

It's because I suck, sure. But all that means is I can't prove them wrong :urg:

Napilopez

Smash Lord
D-tilt doesn't shield poke Nap.
It's fast, and it can trip people, but not shield poke, unless your saying their shield is depleted and you hit them from below. =/
Haha, yea I know this XD. I meant the latter part; in that sense, it does shieldpoke. Lol, try it against MK, his shield is horrible. And against tall chars too. Sonic has a good shield pressure game. He wont be breaking shields, but he's good at depleting them with several moves and feints, after which he can shieldpoke with Usmash, fair, ftilt shield poke, and dtilt will go under the shield very effectively as well, which is just as good as the standard shieldpoking to me.

To infzy:

Ahh my bad, I totally forgot about MKs odd non clanging sword priority -_-. Musta confused it with Marth's. But yea, Sonics ftilt does coutrange it though.

DJbrowny:
55 frames sounds right. Either way, its definitely 60 frames max. I tested it myself lol. Not with frame data, but using stopwatch both at 1/4 speed and full speed. Whichever way I did it, I always got slightly less than 1 second, or almost precisely 1 second.

My goodness, I'm just looking at my clock tick by, and its like, Sonic can cover FD in a single tick? Lol, I think we use it him so much we take it for granted sometimes =P

EDIT: OH SNAP I JUST NOTICED I'm already past 1,000 posts! I iz smash lord nao! Yayyyyy haha.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Haha, you've almost reach my postcount, and you joined in june XD.

But Tenki is crazy, April join and 3000+ 4000+ posts hahaha.

EDIT: Dag yo, make that 4000+ Hahah

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I KNOW, how does Tenki do that? O_O he probably posts in like, every sub-forum here. o.O

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I KNOW, how does Tenki do that? O_O he probably posts in like, every sub-forum here. o.O
He's everywhere. I hardly post outside of this forum, but in my lurking I almost always see Brock Obama.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We freaking spam so much, the people who have Sonic icons should get their own title depending on how much they have.

+1 for Smash Master.

Tenki

Smash Hero
[1] Bair will be used as much as fsmash to kill, and it is not hard to land at all. Dsmash is Sonics quickest smash, and is quite reliable as well. Some sonics spam bair like crazy though, so staleness occurs.

[2] Lol, fsmash fast. Compared to what, Ike fsmash? And you can't just plow through Sonic's moves.

[3] Patience can be of virtue against Sonic, since the character himself has like none, lol. Faints however limit your options through patience, because you basically have less than a 50% chance of knowing what Sonic will do everytime he will approach, no matter hoow good your reading is. And his approaches are safe. About the players, 3000 is good, but I still don't think he's using Sonic to his full potential. I've seen, at least from vids, too many mistakes or situations he couldve captialized with an AT here amd there, safely.

[4] This post is ouch. I dunno who the people you mentioned are, or if their Sonics are any good lol. Also, Sonic can change the speed of his Homing Attacks release, we can use that against you if you spotdodge. And lol, everyone picks up Bananas with a dash attack. Lol, Sonic's is actually prolly one of the best for that.

[5] One of the best posts from the SBR. Those fake spin attacks are what we call either ASC or SideB shield cancelling, and its part of the reasonw hy our approaches are so safe. If we don't cancel sideB, it has invincibility frames and then very high priority frames afterwards, so itll likely still go through attacks. ASC has a bunch of priority upon touching the ground as well. But they can still be shield cancelled to Sonics pleasure.

[6] Actually, I would agree with your statement on Mr. 3000, because he doesnt use ATs but is still good. The vast majority of good Sonics however, make use of his techs, which bad players don't lol. ASC and followups, good SDR followups, jab lock setups, exploiting invincibility frames, Spinshots, using Sonics ultraversatile foxtrot, etc etc.

[7] Uair and Bair are too disjointed. Fsmash and Dsmash are both standard for killing, but Bair will actually probably be used more than Dsmash and as much as fsmash.
[1] D-smash is like, 10% weaker than F-smash. It's a pretty good kill move, but it's horridly underused and overall, F-smash is more 'liked' overall because it has the best knockback.

[2] F-smash's release isn't that slow actually. The startup / pre-charge is what makes it feel slow. With just a slight bit of prediction, it can seem fast.

[3] Meh, I read Sonics all the time. Most players, including myself, don't take advantage of that commitment time enough lol. Also, see 3000 note later.

[4] I didn't feel like mentioning this earlier, but I use non-HA to slow falls and 'stall' landings from above-stage. I count on my opponent dodging lol. He probably was told 'Sonic's spin dash attack goes over bananas' and misread it. But we're still going to forever laugh at this.

Never forget.

[5] ASC grab is actually punishable, as I mentioned the first time I directly responded to their comments. But what's cool is that even if an opponent can prep himself up to attack/grab a direct ASC approach, it's still possible to change the landing/approach in general to counter that.

[6] Vids of Mr 3000 are old and should no longer be used to judge his playstyle ;/

[7] I still don't think B-air is disjointed.

Here's a test, Marth F-air vs Sonic B-air, and place them so the 'disjointed parts' hit each other.

lol you sure love bringing up that 55 number. Id love for someone else to test that for me coz it still sounds kind of odd :/
Someone agreed to get me all those delicious frame data parts <3

part of the request was 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and all of FD. Because I think Sonic still accelerates at one point, so just dividing by 4 won't be accurate.

;l

Also, Sonic's Fair is like his best move IMO, surprised ppl don't bring it up more... it racks up soooo much damage.... mebbe cuz ppl don't SDI out of it against me :(
I think over 90.00% of my posts were productive before the steak meme.

I'm pretty sure it's fallen to like, 60% or so since the giant steak collided with the Sonic boards.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The delicious Steak has left the Sonic boards in ruin harmony.

All hail the Mighty Steak.

Also, from this point on, you would be insulting the Steak if you didn't capitalize the 'S'.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The delicious Steak has left the Sonic boards in ruin harmony.

All hail the Mighty Steak.

Also, from this point on, you would be insulting the Steak if you didn't capitalize the 'S'.
lol, I always capitalize the S in steak when I refer to it as "The" Steak.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
[1] D-smash is like, 10% weaker than F-smash. It's a pretty good kill move, but it's horridly underused and overall, F-smash is more 'liked' overall because it has the best knockback.

[2] F-smash's release isn't that slow actually. The startup / pre-charge is what makes it feel slow. With just a slight bit of prediction, it can seem fast.

[6] Vids of Mr 3000 are old and should no longer be used to judge his playstyle ;/

[7] I still don't think B-air is disjointed.

Here's a test, Marth F-air vs Sonic B-air, and place them so the 'disjointed parts' hit each other.

Someone agreed to get me all those delicious frame data parts <3

part of the request was 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and all of FD. Because I think Sonic still accelerates at one point, so just dividing by 4 won't be accurate.
1) Agreed. I only started using dsmash after I played you. Partly because I don't have a down smash input in my control config. But now I use it much more.

2) Yes, the release is really quick, which is why releasing from a charge is so efffective, like G&Ws upsmash and MKs fsmash. D3 fsamsh on the other hand has a uber slow release no matter what =P

6) This is true. I definitely want to see how he has evolved. His most recent vids are from the end of July =/

7) Well Id say Marths is more disjointed than Sonic, and his is easier to place because of the arching motion of it. But yea someone should test.

About the acceleration thing, this may be true.I would assume his initial dash seems slightly slower than his full run, so he accelerates at that point. Its not slower by much though, I think.

I was wondering abut slow runs with Sonic. Is there a way to slow sonic down as he runs? I mean I'm sure we've all been in instances where sonic seems to be running slowly, so itd be interesting if we could exploit that, although I have no clue about the mechanics of it.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Napi, you should do this for your controller config:
Make C jump so you don't have to use Down-dpad
and make Down-dpad your d-smash. After all, what use is your C button as grab when you can just shield grab? :O

Tenki

Smash Hero
@Napi/slowrun:
you can try holding the control stick diagonal or just tilt it less.

Napi, you should do this for your controller config:
Make C jump so you don't have to use Down-dpad
and make Down-dpad your d-smash. After all, what use is your C button as grab when you can just shield grab? :O
For "Z-catching" and "Z-dropping" items.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I tested with it.
Its a bit difficult considering how large marth's Fair encompasses so i had to strie with the upper part of the arc to be more accurate.

They don't interact which is expected.
Marth's is more disjointed than Sonic's.

Tenki

Smash Hero
oh snap

really?

the sword went through Sonic's foot and he didn't get hit out of it?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
@Napi/slowrun:
you can try holding the control stick diagonal or just tilt it less.

For "Z-catching" and "Z-dropping" items.
Oh, crap, lol. I just n-air/f-air or dash attack to get them. :O Crap, hole in my game. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom