• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Ice Climbers

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Here are the rules:
- DO NOT SPAM IN THIS THREAD!!!
- Do not create another topic for Ice Climbers, discuss it here or I'll see to it your thread is closed at Sonic speed. No need to spam the boards with something similar to this.
- I know there will be debates, I only ask that you keep it civil. Tell the people you bring from the other boards that too. Any hint of flaming and stupidity that said person will be dealt with swiftly, I'm not gonna tolerate that mess here.

Anyway discuss, what do you have to say about ICs? I say the match-up is neutral at best, I use them so I should know.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
More or less anything seperates them. Aerials, smashes (Dsmash in particulars), HA, literally anything. Get Nana offstage and the bitch dies. Popo by himself sucks more than Sonic (marginally).
However I suck at the match-up at hand because I can't avoid getting grabbed because everything you do with Sonic is risky. No imput from me this time, at least time I play moar IC's.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sorry about the short post, I was about to leave for work ;3

hahaha

okay. First off, good Ice Climbers won't rely on grabs and should be able to fight competently with the non-grab moves.

Don't try spindashing into iceblocks, it doesn't work.

Blizzard is a problematic move, especially with desynched IC's, since one (probably Nana) will be protecting the main one with Blizzard. Your answer to this will be an aerial attack or feint. Drop a spring above them, and one is bound to be hit, and at the least, will temporarily disrupt the desynch.

On the topic of forced desynchs, Homing Attack and Spring>retreating D-airs work pretty well in this matchup. N-air and F-air work well off-stage for 'unwanted' desynchs, too.

IF you somehow (by accident or on purpose) grab Popo (player controlled IC), do NOT immediately go into a U/D-throw (it's a bad reflex for this matchup). Pummel. It will work as a semi 'jab' to disrupt Nana and keep her from smashing you. This is where F-throw comes handy, since I believe it's Sonic's fastest throw, so you can disrupt, kick, and gtfo. B-throw might work too, but I'm not sure if Nana's magnetism will slide her to chase you `.`;

On grabs:
Well, grabs can either be predictable (0-20% starter combo, 40% ice lock setup, 100%+ for a smash finish) or protected (Blizzard/iceblock backup). Don't approach with D-air against a good IC, and watch out for people with the timing good enough to grab out of spindashes, not that you should be approaching with grounded spindashes.

This is where reverse stutterstep shines. I've mentioned a few times that it's a good way to counter predictable 'tipper'-style (high precision) approaches. As a refresher, this is done with a [back > forward+A] at dash-dance speed. It adds extra distance to your backwards step on a F-smash, which is perfect for setting up a whiff.

On recovery/gimping:
Off-stage, you'll have to adapt to your specific opponent, and see if there are any predictable recovery movements.

IC's side-B is SOMETIMES used as a recovery. However, a solo Ice Climber has significantly less ability to float with it than dual Ice Climbers.

IC's up-B is generally the most-used recovery method. It works as a tether, and if someone is on the edge, then it will not sweetspot the ledge, but instead act as a third jump, with significantly more height given to the main IC. It's also how Popo tends to rescue Nana. As Popo is throwing Nana, he's vulnerable, so you can actually stage spike/gimp/kill him in that small window of time.

So... you will successfully gimp if the following conditions are met:
- Popo is parallel to/under the stage and Nana is occupied/dead.
- Popo is a little higher than the stage and Nana is occupied/dead.

Here are some gimp ideas:
- Knock Nana off the stage. Popo jumps off the stage to rescue Nana. You must predict when Popo is vulnerable and when he's about to use up-B (or side-B) then catch Nana in an F-air before he initiates the recovery move.
- Edgehog (so they don't sweetspot) and attack Popo as he returns to stage.
- If you get them to the edge, jab. Since the two are somewhat staggered, Popo's SDI/DI will be different from Nana. It's a rather effective disruptor for IC's.
- If you're playing against an IC who tends to up-B from below and Popo's at 40-60%, try dropping down and stagespiking Popo. He floats in one place when he throws Nana, so FF B-airs (or F-airs) can screw them up.

For this matchup, keep in mind to use your kill mindgames (whatever they are) as... well, kill mindgames. Save the most effective ones (and they tend to be the simple ones) for the kill and don't use them too often in damaging, as satisfying it is to smash a whiffed grab. ;p

There's probably more I forgot about. Feel free to correct anything here. My experience against IC's are limited to 1v1s on wifi (green-yellow connections), so although I've met a few that can chaingrab online, they do use desynchs and normal attacks more often.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
If they're below stage I tend to always Edgehog. It will often times kill Nana...

::shrug::

Or I drop a spring, and it can kill Popo if placed right.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Thanks Tenki that'll help alot. The IC's I fight spam ice shots and usually wait for me to come to them. Relies on chain grabbing a lot. So the things about seperating them and avoiding grabs are especially helpful.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Separate IC... Take a look a this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EaYFmTZudw

There are a lot of ways to desynch IC, but the most important is to keep pressure on one of them. For example: If you keep damaging Nana (after you desynch them) her % will go higher than Popo's and when they synch up again (will happen sooner or later if you don't kill her) will be easier desynch them again 'cause Nana will fly farther if you hit them both... Then throw/hit/etc Popo the opposite way, hunt Nana and kill her (keep pressuring Popo to keep them desynched), finally go after Popo and win!!!

Note: If you attack and fail to separate them, jump back (or you'll get grabed) and try again. Don't get grabbed... OR YOU'RE DEAD!!!

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I played both Godismyrock's and Shinku's ICs on a semi regular basis, and it seems to be close to a 50/50 matchup.

Sonic's combo ability and speed allows him to severly punish ICs while at the same time separate them, it becomes a frantic situation. usually even if popo blocks a combo attempt nana won't and this works fine to separate them, as Popo will be in like "oh crap, save nana" mode. this strategy is easiest on Grab spamming ICs, (like the above opponents) as they can often get into the habit of over reliance. They can't really camp you, that projectile isn't enough, and if you are good at comboing and annoying with the spring then u will force a mistake, because IC is dangerous only up close. fight in your neutral stages for best effect. once off the stage it gets easier too.

Tenki

Smash Hero
well, if you want to avoid chaingrabs, find a level with slopes.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
IC's are a nighmare!!! i got 3 CG to death in the last tournament i went to, i had to counter pick..

Tenki

Smash Hero
You can't tell me not to spam, sir.
thank goodness, you're back.

your spam was way better than the crap that's been locked in the past few days.

---------

random on-topic question ;D

Now you get the IC's separated:

do you
a) kill Popo?
b) kill Nana?

Boxob

Smash Champion
thank goodness, you're back.

your spam was way better than the crap that's been locked in the past few days.

---------

random on-topic question ;D

Now you get the IC's separated:

do you
a) kill Popo?
b) kill Nana?
I aim to please.

Depends on the percentages. If they're separated over 60, kill popo.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Yay boxob returns! XD lol But he acctually makes sence I also say kill popo over about 60%... wierd huh boxob is becoming helpful O.O....

Tenki

Smash Hero
He was really helpful and a pretty good Sonic player before he quit Brawl ;3

everyone who started being active in the Sonic boards after like.. May (?) missed it.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Oh I'm still really good, I picked Brawl up like two days as a joke, I'm just as good as I was when I played for real. It's too simple, skill barely diminishes over time with this game. It's all waiting and spacing.

As for helpful, it's the same deal. I'd just rather spam.

Thanks, though.

Top Bottom