• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Game & Watch

blazingIKE33

Smash Cadet
Rather than discuss how amazing G&W is until I truly believe he is the master of the first 2 dimensions (did the universe implode yet?), I want to go over how to beat him.

Depending on the weight list you look at, G&W is either the second or third easiest character in the game to KO off the top of the stage. I guess my main can be considered Snake right now, so I don't have too much trouble KOing G&W because of his up-tilt. Also, its fun to nade-sidestep the turtle and watch G&W suffer for it. Throw in his heaviness, and Snake really seems like one of the best counters against G&W. But I guess anybody that is good at killing upwards would be a good pick against G&W.

Also, I hear that the "Cypher grab" that works on Snake to eliminate his up-B also works on G&W, Sonic, and Pit. Although G&W and Pit are almost immune to this due to the auto-sweetspot.
in a match aginst a single opponent g&w may have to ignore his oil panic, but he can virtually use any other attack. he can spam his cheif projectiiles attacks and judge. he can also throw combos w/o the fear of interutption:)

cutter

Smash Champion
why is he soo much better than he was in melee? like what changed exactly that hes so good lol i woudlnt know because unlike brawl i dont evne use a secondary in melee
There are many reasons, but his biggest improvements are:
- An actual shield that protects him nicely
- One of the best Up Bs in the game now
- Dsmash went from one the worst smashes in Melee to one of the best in Brawl
- Dthrow now gives G&W nasty techchasing thanks to his insanely powerful smashes and other possibilites
- The best Bair in the game. It's so good that it is a candidate for one of the best moves in the game IMO.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
why is he soo much better than he was in melee? like what changed exactly that hes so good lol i woudlnt know because unlike brawl i dont evne use a secondary in melee
He can attack out of his upB, the Dtilt is longer, His air game got buffed, he got a better defense

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
Also, his Nair has been changed, and now it comes out really fast, with multiple hits, and doing a decent amount of damage.

His Uair(i dont think it had this property in melee) can juggle people like crazy, sending them pretty high in the air, and can stop FastFalling Dairs, suck as Toon Link's.

Mr. Game and Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Woot, who doesn't appreciate his amazing moves? In fact, the only people I really have trouble with now are Metaknight and sometimes Marth and Olimar.

Neb

Smash Lord
Sheesh, I checked out the Snake forum, wow...it makes the G&W forum look like fun and games. They take their stuff seriously, even the noobs are being useful, >.>. Not saying we haven't been doing the same, just not at the same level. Aside from the typical G&W vs ___ help topics, nothings really being accomplished; admins aren't even around to sticky guides. Seems like we're getting nowhere, anyone agree?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I do.

I even feel like I'm doing little compared to some other users in different sections. I havent updated my thing and it looks sloppy. Its a single move god****it, and the guide for it is still far in its infancy.

Nothing gets stickied (which I think your thread should be)
and the matchup thread isnt even made.

We're one of the better boards around, as some have like one sticky and little goes on/pointless threads being made (Capt Falcooooon!

But we're still doing bad :[

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey look at what I discussed with Teh Spammerer.

RedAxelRanger (11:44:04 PM): his uair refreshes his other moves even if the part taht blows
RedAxelRanger (11:44:07 PM): is the only part that hits

Holy ****, not only is U-air stalling unpunishable, but THAT?!

Seriously, he belongs in god tier for sure.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I have always thought it to do that, but I never confirmed it.
It does damage to petey pirahna when he jumps over you, so I considered it a move/hitbox that also refreshed your stale moves.

I'm so happy it really does, though :DD

IronSquirrel891

Smash Apprentice
i think we do pretty good.
i dont post much in the Snake forums, but im there constantly because they have some nice strategies in there. real helpful stuff for fighting different kinds of opponents.

but i also love the different guides this board offers. I wouldnt have known how much of a friggin swiss army knife G&W could be if it wasnt for the data presented on these boards.

good work.

Neb

Smash Lord
I do.

I even feel like I'm doing little compared to some other users in different sections. I havent updated my thing and it looks sloppy. Its a single move god****it, and the guide for it is still far in its infancy.

Nothing gets stickied (which I think your thread should be)
and the matchup thread isnt even made.

We're one of the better boards around, as some have like one sticky and little goes on/pointless threads being made (Capt Falcooooon!

But we're still doing bad :[
Mhm, Snake forums puts everyone to shame, :/. I think your doing a swell job, and also think your guide should be stickied, your guide has a lot of important info for just a single move!

I'm just saying, we need more quality activity so we can actually accomplish task, and just because some people are newcomers to the G&W boards doesn't mean they can't contribute. Though with the discoveries with uair, I really think there should be a guide for it, and how to use it efficiently, or even at an advanced level.

Lol, Captain Falcon's forum pretty much just flaunts about Cap having incredible nips and a bizarre level of energy, oh and the usual Chuck Norris comparisons, xD.

IronSquirrel891

Smash Apprentice
what kind of tasks would you like to see accomplished?

just more guides/FAQs, or what?

winning tourney's with G&W?
reminds me...
This week I gotta get info on some small time tourneys in my town.

G J Cod

Smash Cadet
G&W is so slick looking in seafoam green. I use that version all the time.

I personally believe the best way to deal with G&W is with Snake. His up B allows you to practically avoid G&W final smash, along with Lucario's.

Neb

Smash Lord
G&W is so slick looking in seafoam green. I use that version all the time.

I personally believe the best way to deal with G&W is with Snake. His up B allows you to practically avoid G&W final smash, along with Lucario's.
What on earth does that have to do with anything we're talking about at the moment, do tell?

chckn

Smash Ace
LCD gw?

of course. gimme a break, the other colors blow.

I would vote GW as top tier, along with toon link and marth. I think metaknight is overrated.

snake and mk are top and are going to stay top. They just do too well in tournaments to be considered anything else. Its safe to say GW is at the very top of of high along with ddd marth rob and falco.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I would venture and put G&W up as the third member of top. A lot of the recent tier lists have been doing this, and I certainly agree ;P

Anyways, Im off to my first big tourney on the 28th, which OBM may be going. Any tournament go-ers have some tips to give or things I should expect? I'm really anxious, to be sure :s

JrdnS

Smash Ace
i agree G&W is top tier. strong smashes. great aerials and recovery. and comboing ability support this.
if only he was heavier...

btw good luck at your tourney mr. escalator.

Mr. Game and Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Yay, G&W moved up a spot? He's now 3rd? In front of that little piece of Michael Jackson known as Toon Link?................................................WOOHOO zxkfjnskvdfdszk/.BVDbv?dbkjsfvku;gbfDIJbv;ibJDU:SNBvnVJDBVNBV;DSvj;BUJvbhuvdsbv:Sbvdk;bvZDK:JSbvzfb (falls to floor twitching)

..........but seriously, that's awesome. Why?

GiNO The KiDD

Smash Cadet
Good luck Mr. Esc in the tourny.

GaW is third?I thought it was Snake,Mk,Falco,DDD,then GaW,then Wario.But GaW is good enough to be third its just that he will become overused and more people will begin to hate on ihm just like they do Mk.

P.s. Black GaW ftw. =]

Ulevo

Smash Master
I would venture and put G&W up as the third member of top. A lot of the recent tier lists have been doing this, and I certainly agree ;Ps
I definitely second this motion. He is a contender for second/third place on the Tier List along side Meta Knight. Very, very good character.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Thanks all!
I'm really nervous, plus OBM is going, so I'm screwed any way you look at it.
But maybe I can make it to R2

Despite G&W looking to be the third best at this point, he's underused for his tier placement, so everyone should be happy.

I mean, really, theres not too many G&W tourney go-ers compared to Dedede's :p
I guess he's still not too popular.

I think next should be Marth, but that's just me.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Game and watch overall is 6th right now (I think). Snake, MK, and DDD are top 3 then wario and marth 4 and 5. Oh, and dont bother trying your combo there mr. esc. Its not gonna work.

Neb

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think he went down...u_u.
Wtfffff, G&W has way more potential than Marth and Wario, for the love of saint peat, lol.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Y'know what? I'm going to attempt to pull out the combo R1. Maybe the opponent will come here and tell you personally how devastating it is. Just to spite you Nappy ;D

Like I said, despite him being the third best character at this point, he's not used much in tournaments. I'm personally grateful for his low placing.

oh well, I guess it's up to me and OBM to bump his little 2D butt up there to #1! *

* no way in hell, look at how many Snake's have scored o_____O

Neb

Smash Lord
lol, its because Snake is a main wh***, and the majority of the G&W that are in tournaments are garbage.

Video!? :}

napZzz

Smash Hero
yeah once again game and watch is not the 3rd best char. And if you wanna lose trying to do it be my guest mr. esc...but be ready to know that the people you are gonna face are mostly likely to actually be good at the game and know what DI and air dodging is.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Let's not forget about Mr. Game & Watch's taunts. He has the best taunts in the game! They make an extremely annoying ringing sound. Also, they are short, so the taunts can be chained in rapid succession to make an almost constant annoying flurry of ringings.

Neb

Smash Lord
Let's not forget about Mr. Game & Watch's taunts. He has the best taunts in the game! They make an extremely annoying ringing sound. Also, they are short, so the taunts can be chained in rapid succession to make an almost constant annoying flurry of ringings.
Nice to know. But seriously, what does that have to do with anything we're talking about at the moment?
><...lol.

napZzz

Smash Hero
lol, its because Snake is a main wh***, and the majority of the G&W that are in tournaments are garbage.

Video!? :}
this is what you will hear in every thread, MY CHARACTERS NOT TEH TOPS TIER CUZ EVERYONE SUCKS WITH HIM AND NOT ENUFFF PEEEPLE PLEY HEM!!! and its not that there is too many more snake mains, its just that he wins alot more tournaments cuz he's so **** good

mio

Smash Ace
I've been gettin pretty good with G&W but MetaKnight has been shutting me down. Anyone have any advice/tips/tricks on this *****?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Alright I dont want to make a new thread (Dont feel like being called a noob and such) but i wanted to ask a question, maybe someone knows the answer to it. Does G&W have super Armor on invisibility frames during the absorption animation of the bucket? I was playing a match (Teams) and i was absorbing Ness's PK Fire (When it hits someone), during that time, Ness forward smashed me and nothing happened, as if i was not even there. I thought maybe he did not hit me, but i clearly saw the bat pass threw me.

Top Bottom