• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Donkey Kong

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I've known about the Sakurai combo forever, way before the dojo was created. It was kind of an obvious combo.

I also agree that DK should be played more in tournaments. He has 3 meteor smashes: Fair, Dair, and Side B. He can also SHFF his Bair. His giant punch can be mixed in with it. As with D3, you can SHFF his Dair to rack up damage. His recovery isnt all that great though, but it can be used to knock people away in those tough moments. He has very strong ground game and an okay aerial game. He lacks projectiles, but his long range standard attacks make up for it, I guess. He is very heavyweight, meaning he wont get knocked away that easily, but this creates a slow recovery from attacks, as well as a faster fall, which isn't good when it comes to recovering. He isn't to be used against fast characters like Fox or CF, but he can easily beat a mid speed character. I can face you to prove it.

Before I forget, I'm going to post the reasoning behind the hint this week. Here is the hint I gave:

That links to Limp Bizkit's Rollin', which is a fairly old song. The time I gave there is during one of the repititions of "rollin', rollin', rollin'" which is the hint you're supposed to derive from the song. Using that hint, and using the knowledge of past hints (ICs in this case), you have to link "rolling" to DK, who is constantly rolling barrels in the original Donkey Kong arcade game.

I got tired of everyone saying "omg the hint was too easy" or "we figured out the hint too fast." I can't wait to see them struggle with this one. I wonder if anyone will get it.

Also, I have no idea how I thought of this. It just kinda popped in my head.
Knowing about this hint will make all of the other hints easy now. This hint was hard until you gave us that other video. That was what made it easy.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Everyone knows about the Sakurai combo. I used to do it in Melee. I didn't know that it wasn't discovered. The thing is in Brawl it's a lot easier to do. Anyways, here is the Sakurai combo.

Basically what you do is make sure you have a fully charged giant punch. Then, side b the opponent. He will be stuck, and then you use giant punch.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
\

\. I'm more surprised I said think more like Picasso less like Rembrandt and there was only one guy that realized one was abstract and the other was a realist... everyone else just said "CUBES! CUUUUUBES!" o_O
Because everyone else on smashboards are uncultured swine. I spit on your lack of artistic knowledge. :psycho:

infernovia

Smash Ace
Last time I used forward b to DK punch in melee, the kid just sat there and took 26% damage. Whatever, maybe trying it out on 0% wasn't a good idea.

But I agree with SamuraiPanda, he is SOOOO fun. He is ***** and comboed to hell, but his general fun makes up for it.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
DK is a **** or get ***** character. You're either getting juggled across the stage because he's so big, or you're killing people left and right. I prefer the latter. Also, DK's down b is probably one of my favorite moves in the game, it's too good.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
WTF,

No mention of

-Glide Toss
-Edge Stalling
-Wall infinite
-Water Spike
-Cargo Suicide tactics
-Cargo, Ftoss @ Wall trick

You guys disappoint me.

/DONE with smashobards.com

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
WTF,

No mention of

-Glide Toss
-Edge Stalling
-Wall infinite
-Water Spike
-Cargo Suicide tactics

You guys disappoint me.

What is the ftoss wall trick? I don't think ftossing at walls does anything special (do you mean cargo dtoss wall trick?).

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Hey guys I'm Gimpyfish and I like to be an *** hole!

On a serious note, glide tossing bananas, gyros, turnips, bombs, bike parts, or anything else I've forgotten is amazing. Especially bananas.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
I think either the downsmash is a bit overrated, or I'm just not used to the speed so I try to punish windows that are too small. One way or another, a missed downsmash is a world of pain for DK :/

Also, I've been playing DK more today and I'm having so much fun with him. He's awesome. And his Fsmash is sooo good. Spammable when spaced and fast enough to punish small openings, <3 DK. Also, thanks for the tip about the up-B ****** shields, Scamp. It works really well.

Oh yeah, does anyone know the details behind when his up B on the ground moves him and when it makes him stay stationary? Cause when I do the up B just standing there, he won't move when I press left or right.
odd that you find F smash more useful for punishing small windows than the slightly quicker D smash

at Gimpy:
LOL didn't you know DK pulls turnips? lol

on the Sakurai combo:
i wasn't aware that this was a designated combo... and not just common knowledge

for my 2 cents. I like to mix in the odd F air in place of a B air on side steppers.

I also find fighting marths way easier on lylat cruise and FD and i dont like battlefield for the match up.

and i dunno about you guys but i always counter pick with my Kirby or Sheik against D3

D throw to F tilt is really the only grab combo i've found. i will try the cargo throw to F air next time i play though. sucks that all the follow ups only really work at low %

mimic_king

Smash Lord
DK can easily do well in stages like Smashville and FD where it is easy to hit people. It's easier to edgeguard in those stages too, which is what DK can do.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
WTF,

No mention of

-Glide Toss
-Edge Stalling
-Wall infinite
-Water Spike
-Cargo Suicide tactics

You guys disappoint me.

You gonna cry some more? We've already discussed those things in other threads, so nobody bothered to talk about it again in the one that we make public. But I guess that doesn't matter to you since you're "/done."

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
^ ya he's gunna make his own forum that only talks about Glide tossing in item banning tourneys... LOL

To Mimic:
..easy to hit people?...

DEEB

Smash Rookie
Donkey Kong is an amazing character, perfect balance of speed and dmg power imo. His throws are fantastic, his bair melts faces, good short hopping skills, BRILLIANT dair (spikes you hard) and a variety of good finishers. Of course he has disadvantages, such as his B-up move COMPLETELY lacking veritcal recovery and being a huge target in FFA's, but these are all shortcomings that a determined Donkey Kong mainer should learn to surpass.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Someone asked about UpB movement before and why DK can't move sometimes on the ground. The reason for this is that DK can only move forward. If you do Upb on the ground and try to move him back he stays in place.

Pretty good writeup all in all. He's a very momentum based character, he has the speed and range to keep an opponent off balance, but on the other hand he is large and easy to combo, so if you get caught up in a combo, it's often difficult for DK to get back to the ground and set up his own offensive. IMO recovery isn't that big of an issue. He survives to high %, and with DJ and his UpB he doesn't have much problem surviving. Yes, spikes are an issue for his poor vert. recovery, but UpB has invincibility frames right at the start you can use to eat through attacks. He also kills early and racks good damage.

To be able to use DK well you have to be able to space properly and make full use of your shield and powershield. You have to be able to read and anticipate your opponent.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
slide shielding with DK is also a superb tactic, even if their smash attack pushes you too far away to grab, if you shield slide in, the forward momentum will stop him right in front of the opponent for a grab

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
^ tis true. but be careful with this. if you do it too often you'll get grabbed instead of attacked. and since a lot of players will expect you to attack them they'll be shield grabbing. if they do this you'll get grabbed instead since DK doesn't exactly have the quickest grab in the world.

rather than flying in with my shield up i'd rather just walk up and space my F tilts and B airs... its the safest approach i've found. if they have a tendency to charge at you D tilt them to death.

PrinceACE

Smash Rookie
^ tis true. but be careful with this. if you do it too often you'll get grabbed instead of attacked. and since a lot of players will expect you to attack them they'll be shield grabbing. if they do this you'll get grabbed instead since DK doesn't exactly have the quickest grab in the world.

rather than flying in with my shield up i'd rather just walk up and space my F tilts and B airs... its the safest approach i've found. if they have a tendency to charge at you D tilt them to death.

Haven't I seen you before somewhere?

I have a question would you say Dsmash is a killing move or a punishing move?

I think punishing...

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Haven't I seen you before somewhere?

I have a question would you say Dsmash is a killing move or a punishing move?

I think punishing...
haha we know each other old friend. Wii-Chat FTW!

i'd say both... pivot cancel for KO sometimes... though F smash is better in that situation... i like to use it to punish spot dodgers and roll spammers though... which they will continue to do at high % when it becomes a punishing KO move lol

Buuman

Smash Ace
Another AMAZING sheild breaker move is the Down B....have some one sheild a down B..after about slams of the ground...their sheild is gone xD

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Down-b does break shields. Or, at least, damage them down a whole lot.
Like at 1:53 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0hp00xKK8g (that's me :D :D :D)

I don't think it shield pokes, even though it's on the ground.
hmmm touche i've never seen that before... usually people don't shield for THAT long lol some interesting DI on that hit to... and some interesting decisions by that samus to try and D air through the U tilt 4 times in a row lol good old combo vids

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace

oh absolutely
but i tend to use slide shielding when i'm at a higher damage percentage, so even if they do punish with a grab, it will be less likely i die
plus, when you're at higher damage, your opponent tends to go for kill moves

Top Bottom