• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Donkey Kong

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Oh man, I just recently picked up DK and he's so **** sexy. I've always enjoyed playing with him, but I've never really wanted to get good with him until now. Underused and powerful as hell, DK is in high tier despite his relative lack of play in tournaments. Its amazing that the little potential of DK that tapped right now is good enough to put him in high tier. I can't wait to see how far he can go in the future.

I'll make a more specific post about his moves and stuff later in the week.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't really like DK. I won't be contributing a huge write-up to this character.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You can also call him Konkey Dong. You can't do that with Diddy.

DK unfortuantely is a powerhouse or a weakling, depending on where the momentum is. He can also be edgeguarded incredibly easily, as any attack that sends him downward (see: MK's dair) kills him if he's used his second jump.

His lack of an effective forward approach really hurts him, as does the fact that all his smashes are useless unless you read your opponent. You can't capitalize with them save for a few rare occurances.

Did I mention though, that charging your neutral B and throwing it out to trade hits via super armor is instant win?

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
DK is my secondary in singles and my main in doubles.

Down B: Covers about a third of FD (IIRC). The range on this is huge compared to Melee. It interrupts most grounded approaches, and manages to even clip a lot of short hopped approaches on the way in. I use this liberally to control space in front of me (and behind!) and pop my opponent up in the air for mixups. My options are reverse backairs, neutral air, dash attack, and tilts, depending on where my opponent DIs.

Bair: You can throw this out twice on a short hop. The range is hot. The dmg is hot. The knockback is hot. Use this liberally.

Nair: Underrated in general. It comes out super fast and ends super fast. When I first picked up DK, i used this a TON until I got used to his spacing.

Fair: Kills in more ways than one. Hit with it early in the animation, and it will star KO off the side. Hit late, and it spikes HARD. This is my favorite flashy kill move with DK, but it is often airdodged. use it a few times to bait the airdodge later, then punish the airdodge with Dair or Nair.

Dair: Great spike. The spacing/timing is a ***** to get used to, but if you practice with it enough, you can get some really nice low% kills with it.

D-Smash: Your bread and butter kill move. It comes out way too fast for how heavy DK is. This move is the reason why DK is good. He doesn't have problems getting KOs because he can drop Down smashes on you FAST. Kills metaknight at retardedly low %s. (I don't memorize the numbers. Someone else can post them.)

Up Tilt: Pops grounded opponents up, just in reach for another Up tilt (if they are at low %s). You can often chain 3 up tilts in a row on some people, for a quick 15-20% (again, i don't have the numbers memorized). Up tilt reaches into the platforms on most stages, and sets up Up air.

Up Air: Another decent KO move if you can get it off. It's harder to land than even his Fair, unless your opponent sucks, or you can trick them into air dodging at the wrong time. Sometimes I'll jump up at them and nair instead of Up air, they'll airdodge if they predict the Up air, and you can punish with another Nair, or even an Up air sometimes.

F-Smash: Geez. This kills at such low %s. It's not all that slow either. If I'm playing defensively, I'll throw out Bairs while moving away from my opponent, and if they chase, I try to land and immediately C-stick towards them. They often fall into it. I don't save F-smash for kills, since D-smash does the job so well, but you can if you want. It's just a little slower and only hits on one side.

Donkey Freaking Punch: I'm probably rare in the DK playing community because I don't use DK Punch much at all. It's kind of gimmicky if you ask me. I don't spend all my time trying to abuse super armor, because I'd rather just not get hit. An interesting note on DK punch is that it is better with 9 charges than with 10. One thing that's fun with a charged one is to throw it as you are recovering from up high, and try to catch your opponent with it while you are in the air. Often times, the Super armor will keep you from getting edge guarded, and you might even hit your opponent with it too. Again, this is all kinda gimmicky and I usually just stick to bread and butter DK.

D-Tilt: I love down tilt. The range is awesome. It trips. It infinities on walls. When my opponent can't be killed by a D-smash, I use D-tilt to space, since I can usually connect with 2 before they DI away. If they trip, I often follow up with dash attack or a reverse bair.

Up Smash: Nice kill move with good range. I use up tilt instead if they are low, but after about 65%, I look for up smashes instead.

Up B: Use this on the ground like Bowser does. It's not as good as his on the stage, but still pretty good. Recovery-wise, it's actually pretty godly. On most characters, you'd be hitting the edge, but DK can actually fly over the edge and land on the OPPOSITE EDGE. It recovers SOO far. Unfortunately, ALL the energy DK spends traveling with Up B is SIDEWAYS. His vertical recovery sucks donkey doodads. All it takes to SD with DK is air dodging ANYWHERE near the ledge. By the time you recover from the air dodge, you are already too low to recover. Jamming B quickly helps you get more height, but not by much. You'll get stuck under flat edges like PS1 a LOT if you aren't careful. Spacing a sweetspot on Delfino, lylat, halberd, etc can suck sometimes. Expect to get forward smashed as you are recovering. Counterpick to stages that don't have janky ledges. If you are playing against DK, take him to these stages. (except delfino, he gets low % up kills there a LOT.

Overall, DK is a beast. He can take a beating and survive well into the 200% range if you DI well. He doesn't match up poorly against much of anyone other than Snake, DDD, and probably Falco. I'm not saying he's got the advantage in the other matchups, but if you can't overcome 60-40 with a relatively underused character outside of nationals, you should just play Metaknight anyways.

edit: I forgot throws!

DK's grab has rather good range. His options after grab are pretty good. At low %s, cargo carrying people isn't really an option, since they will struggle free very quickly. I haven't worked a whole lot on grab release tactics, but I'm sure OS or someone can find some tricks there. Maybe cargo -> grab release -> Nair would work well.

Cargo spiking is an option against most people you play against, who won't be able to time the techs all that well. I've cargo spiked pretty good players in tournaments before, so no one is immune to it. Even if they don't get hit so far downwards that they couldnt' recover, if you spam jump as soon as you throw back into the stage you will usually get a footstool, which is enough to kill most of the cast, often including metaknight. (depends on the stage, and the %)

After a grab at middle %s, cargo for just a moment and forward throw. It will throw them at a low projectory off the stage. This sets them up perfectly for a Dair or Fair spike. I use this much more than cargo spiking, as it is much more reliable at lower %s.

Back throw is a killer at high %s, or on stages with narrow sides. On Jungle japes, you can grab on either side platform and back throw off the side at pretty low %s. The same is true on any narrow sided stage, or on walkoffs, if you are brave.

Up throw can be used to set up Uair, but I don't use it much, since I usually have better options from grab.

Down throw is not bad either, dealing a decent amount of damage. I use this at low %s since I won't expect to get a good chance to set up a spike before they struggle free, and I THINK Down throw is the highest damage of any throw DK has.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Did I mention though, that charging your neutral B and throwing it out to trade hits via super armor is instant win?
I powershield Giant Punches, just like how I powershield Falcon Punches and Ness PKT2s.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
His forward approach situation is a lot better than it was in Melee. Down/forward tilt, jab, and upB are all good. But my beard and butter is still back airs.

And he's so strong! Melee DK seems like a total wimp by comparison.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
he's fat and he's got fat arms for tilts and smashes.

what a fattie he is.

also the ENTIRITY of his up b CAN be edgehogged - just an fyi.

extremely rare and almost impossible to time - but i've done it. i THINK i have a video somewhere on my wii.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
You can say Konkey Dong but not Kiddy Dong? Well I can because I'm Chinese.

I would like to add that Fwd-B and Up-B ***** shields.

Plus, he doesn't need a good approach per se because he can punish other characters in a number of ways if they try to attack him. He's got excellent throw and attack range and super armor on up-B and his Donkey Punch. So just go forward when they're afraid of all that stuff.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah you really shouldn't be using DK against DDD.

I forgot to add that, I guess, but I thought it was common knowledge.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I love to use DK and I usually do well with him in friendlies. I'm hesitant to use him in tournaments though, especially in singles there seem to be better options. He suffers from Dedede, a lack of projectiles and has trouble approaching when someone is playing it really safe.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I dunno, even if DDD didn't have the infinite on DK I feel like he could still destroy the monkey. It would probably only change an 8-2 (or 9-1) to something like a 65-35. Possible, but very difficult.

I would like to add that Fwd-B and Up-B ***** shields.
Add the down-B to that.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Out of curiosity, could you f-tilt or d-tilt a shield twice adn then use a b move to break a shield? I don't have the ability to test it, but if DK had a shield pressure game using only tilts and B moves, this could really help him.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Before I forget, I'm going to post the reasoning behind the hint this week. Here is the hint I gave:

Due to complaints on how easy the past hints were, I've created quite possibly the most difficult and obtuse hint yet. I don't expect many people to get this. Have fun :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAIlrkSZOg (2:44)
That links to Limp Bizkit's Rollin', which is a fairly old song. The time I gave there is during one of the repititions of "rollin', rollin', rollin'" which is the hint you're supposed to derive from the song. Using that hint, and using the knowledge of past hints (ICs in this case), you have to link "rolling" to DK, who is constantly rolling barrels in the original Donkey Kong arcade game.

I got tired of everyone saying "omg the hint was too easy" or "we figured out the hint too fast." I can't wait to see them struggle with this one. I wonder if anyone will get it.

Also, I have no idea how I thought of this. It just kinda popped in my head.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I personally used to think DK was amazing. However, after getting a ton of experience with a good DK, and using DK myself for awhile, I just see approaches extremely limited. He's still a good character, and I think he's excellent for counter picking many characters, but he's got a bunch of tough matchups across the board. He is surprising when you aren't experienced with him, but if your opponent knows the matchup it can really become painstakingly difficult. I get kinda of sick when people claim he has the advantage over Metaknight, which I used to think at first too when I tried him versus Meta's.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I think either the downsmash is a bit overrated, or I'm just not used to the speed so I try to punish windows that are too small. One way or another, a missed downsmash is a world of pain for DK :/

Also, I've been playing DK more today and I'm having so much fun with him. He's awesome. And his Fsmash is sooo good. Spammable when spaced and fast enough to punish small openings, <3 DK. Also, thanks for the tip about the up-B ****** shields, Scamp. It works really well.

Oh yeah, does anyone know the details behind when his up B on the ground moves him and when it makes him stay stationary? Cause when I do the up B just standing there, he won't move when I press left or right.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The fact that DK can up+b from the ledge and land with 0 lag if he is close enoug hto the ground is amazing.

His tilt mix-up games are great too. Spaced f-smash to f-tilt to spaced dash attack to d-tilt can really pressure shields and force your opponent to jump or get smacked.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I've realized that spamming Fsmash works amazingly. I've been landing like 6 Fsmashes a game, at least. And after trying to work in his side B, I've realized that its best when used in the air, as a mixup instead of bairing their shield. And Up-b from the ledge to the stage isn't that good, since you can get punished quite easily, but its great to use every now and then. Its a free Fsmash against people who don't know about it ^_^

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I've realized that spamming Fsmash works amazingly. I've been landing like 6 Fsmashes a game, at least. And after trying to work in his side B, I've realized that its best when used in the air, as a mixup instead of bairing their shield. And Up-b from the ledge to the stage isn't that good, since you can get punished quite easily, but its great to use every now and then. Its a free Fsmash against people who don't know about it ^_^
How do you get punished with no lag? O_o

up+b with no lag to the cneter of the stage, pivot d-tilt. GG approaching enemy!

Also, OOK is amazing because he got the hint. I bet no one even thinks about it. I'm more surprised I said think more like Picasso less like Rembrandt and there was only one guy that realized one was abstract and the other was a realist... everyone else just said "CUBES! CUUUUUBES!" o_O

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I laughed my *** off when I saw ook got the hint while nobody else did. They're really struggling with the hint this time, just like I hoped, so I added one more video. The barrel roll.

And you get punished because you can't just up B past them. Tons of attacks go through the up B, and some people can even shield drop a smash in the middle of it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
synopsis

DK has a great shield pressure game, a great combo game, great pressure game, great power, and can punish a single mistake severely. He's also insanely heavy.

Unfortunately, DK has a bad shield, can be comboed well, has trouble keeping up with pressure, can be gimped by several characters, and a lot of stronger attacks have lag that can get him punished severely.

DK is a character that runs hot and cold; he's either on fire and destroying, or he's getting tossed around like a ragdoll. Even the worst DK players can even the score with an f-smash or u-smash thrown out at the right times, so we know that DK players have potential... but the potential lies in being able to keep the momentum in DKs favor. If you can keep DK's opponent on edge until you find an opportunity to d-smash OOS or get a neutral-B in (if you can read their approach, just do it through their attack!), DK is a great choice for you.

DK has some nigh unwinnable matchups though, so he is almost completely limited to players that are willing to play more than one character. D3's ability to infinite grab him, Marth's ability to edgeguard with his dair (heck, anyone with a spike, really), MKs ability to keep the pressure up and edgeguard.... all make playing DK an uphill battle. Fortunately for DK, he can still dish it out against these characters; if you can read your opponent well and find that one mistake, DK can punish it better than anyone else in the game.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I just played DK in tournament... He's waaaaay too much fun.

Everything after this post is general discussion.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
as a DK main, i'd say he's overrated. OS basically summed him up well.
Imo he's one of the best characters when the oponent is 'unfarmiliar' with the matchup. Superarmor upb/giant punch, ranged tilts, cargo-...stuff!....
but when you're oponent knows the matchup, it becomes more about baiting DK's attacks and then punishing them with lag...so then the DK starts playing 'safe' as possible which is spamming b.airs (which doesn't work well at all versus short characters)
its easy to dash-grab or punish or powershield his f.tilt, too (especially if u run towards him and shield at that distance)

on the good side, a reliable combo at low damage is: B.air, UpAir, UpTilt, and see if they if they airdodge after.
when they're above you its hard to airdodge past DK, because he can rising-UpAir..then fastfall a 2nd one (and its like impossible to dodge both) (or if they're on a platform, they can block the first one and slide to the edge, where the 2nd one hits)
aside from b.air spam into Headbutt-D.smash combo, if you're hanging on the ledge you can pull yourself up w/ jump and cancel the momentum with headbutt to punish them if they're trying to shield grab you're get-up attack.

anyway....he's nowhere near top, not the best high tier..probably lower high or upper mid (whatever sounds better to u)

Luigi player

Smash Master
DK is way too good. Maybe it's just me that I don't have too many other good players to play with, but DK *****!

Against some people I can just tilt spam most of the time and they just can't get through it. Smashes are SO ****ing strong! And on Brinstar he's like unbeatable.

Btw, I got the hint :)

Samuraipanda, if you still don't know it:

If you upB on the ground, you can only move forward, but not backwards. =/

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god, Dk's discussion is finally up, yay :D

He has amazing range, amazing killing moves, the best forward through in the game, an amazing spike, an awesome back air... I love him.

Although I still can't stand his blatant flaws like his horrible recovery and his gigantic size. It's still fairly nice to see him shoot all the way to the top though with brawl.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUCf3Ly_sN0
:p
DK is the best. And I think the suckness of his recovery is way overrated
1) It has the horizantal distance to make up for its lack of vertical distance. This thing makes atleast 5/6th's of FD, if not the whole thing. That makes it better than many other peoples like Marths or Sheik since you will almost always be able to reover from those long horizantal attacks that usually take lives
2) The vertical distance isnt as horrible 's made out to. With proper use and sweespotting, it is usually enough to make it back, and goes about the height of the super jump punch. The only time I ever dont make it is because i got spiked, or made a silly mistake
3) It's insane priority. When you attempt to attack him while he's using upb, itll usually not work and you usually get hit unless its a ridiculously disjointed box or hits him straight on the blindspot, and thats usually dair spikes, not normal dair like MK's, which the attack will eat through.

Oh and you should see this combo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0hp00xKK8g

ook

Smash Lord
Yessss, I'm so glad it was finally DK :chuckle:
but um... everything I was gonna say has pretty much already been said :confused: I guess

Use the punch. It can seriously catch people off guard when they're approaching. Plus, it comes out really fast combined with the SA.
Integral against G&W or anyone else who thinks you can't punish them :bee:

And Up-b *****. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Up-b is the new tornado.
Except you can spam it all day and nobody will care

Whenever you're in doubt, or just don't know what to do... just do an up-b.

And yeah, up-b onto the stage > fsmash is one of my favorite moves. Works every time.

If you can keep DK's opponent on edge until you find an opportunity to d-smash OS, DK is a great choice for you.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
1) It has the vertical distance to make up for its lack of horizontal distance.
Dont you mean the other way around?

Top Bottom