• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Diddy Kong

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Here are the rules:
- DO NOT SPAM IN THIS THREAD!!!
- Do not create another topic for Diddy, discuss it here or I'll see to it your thread is closed at Sonic speed. No need to spam the boards with something similar to this.
- I know there will be debates, I only ask that you keep it civil. Tell the people you bring from the other boards that too. Any hint of flaming and stupidity that said person will be dealt with swiftly, I'm not gonna tolerate that mess here.

Well, what do you think of Diddy? *steals a banana*

Tenki

Smash Hero
;O

First off, I'd like to forewarn you that many of you will most likely not have fought an amazing Diddy Kong player.

Keep in mind that with 2 bananas, an amazing Diddy Kong player can space it to bananalock (continuous banana throws so that you're constantly in slipfall until you get to the edge), chaingrab/chainthrow with bananas for 'hitstun', and 'dribble', or use d-throw glidetoss continuously to 'wavedash'.

I asked a certain Diddy mainer what the best option was, out of:
shielding bananas,
spotdodging bananas,
stealing bananas

And he said neither.

When facing a good Diddy player, most banana throws will be done to land on you, so don't think about spotdodging. If you shield, he can go Peach style and attack you while catching the item. If you steal bananas, Diddy has different tricks like Rocket Barrel launcher and such that either make up for it or use it to his advantage.

The best thing to do is to retreat, since it forces him to try to re-establish his radius of control.

Basically, a good Diddy Kong player will be as controlling as IC's if you get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. This one's definitely a matchup I need more experience on.

Keep in mind Sonic's amazing glidethrow distance. You can't exactly pull a Diddy and take one banana and glide-throw all across FD continuously- and you can't exactly pull off all of Diddy's tricks. If you glidetoss forwards, you'll have to keep in mind that your opponent will most likely be between you and the banana, so keep this 'clamping' style in mind.

Know Diddy's dash attack range, so you can punish him if he tries to dash-attack-grab bananas.

..yeah. good luck with this one lol.

Most people, including myself, do not have enough experience with items to be able to do things like catch items as they're being thrown at you while counterattacking, or use glidetoss properly, or just do... stage control.

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, I hate this matchup as well...the only advantage I may have is I've played FFAs with items a lot when the game first came out, so picking up bananas or catching may not be as hard (and you won't slip on the peel if you were the one who threw it)....although it is not much of an advantage. That being said, catching bananas peels is darn near impossible. :ohwell:

I was thinking that moves such as ASC would help in this battle with the banana peels and all (on the downside, Diddy's small size doesn't help). Also, who would everybody say has the stronger air game? (Your ability in the air could be a key factor IMO)

Tenki

Smash Hero
I was thinking that moves such as ASC would help in this battle with the banana peels and all (on the downside, Diddy's small size doesn't help). Also, who would everybody say has the stronger air game? (Your ability in the air could be a key factor IMO)
Thrown Bananas beat ASC.

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
(hits himself over the head twice with a TV remote) dangit, I should know that by now......is there really any way of preparing for the banana peel barrage that is to come when playing Diddy?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I would say 60:40 Diddy. I have played a good number of Diddy Kongs including AZ's and each time it was pretty close.

Of course once Diddy has control of those bananas you will take a large amount of damage. the best thing to do in such a case is to use your Fair and spring drops and do your best to avoid the bananas.
if you have the oppurtunity it is highly recommend you take control of the bananas. once you do Diddy is at a disadvantage because a glide tossed naner to Dsmash is extremely difficult to dodge.

You have to play very carefully and very precisely since once you start tripping the best you can do is use a get up attack or move towards Diddy in the hopes you can get to your feet and spring away.

homing attack is rather useful in the matchup since it keeps you off the ground and is useful in avoiding those bananas.

Its quite fun though IMO. I have yet to beat AZ but I am close and i'll figure something out.

the main issue is maintaining the momentum of the match sicne Diddy relies heavily upon it.
When he is off stage harass him with your Bair's. they WILL break his side B.

Browny

Smash Hater
Sonic has a **** glide toss. Diddys is a joke in comparison. Master the glide toss, its too good in this matchup

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic has a **** glide toss. Diddys is a joke in comparison. Master the glide toss, its too good in this matchup
Sonic has a large slide, but what will you do with it?

Diddy has just enough distance in his glide toss to be able to perform certain tricks like dribbling, unless someone can explain how to do Sonic's "shorter" glide toss.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Diddy's short glide toss is amazingly useful. Don't underestimate it. That said, Tenki, you're missing the usefulness of a long glide toss. Ignore the banana, use it as a SWD. There's a span of time in Glide Tosses, it seems, where you can perform standard actions whilst sliding, not the whole way through but through some of it. It's how Diddy can Single Dribble and how he can Double Dribble so quickly.

I play Diddy as well as Donkey Kong.

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
Just played a Diddy Kong tonight, which was a lot of fun.....NOT. I figured out (although most of you probably already knew) that spin dash/charge beats a banana peel on the ground. And, if you press A during the spin dash, you'll be able to pick up the banana.

Although this may not be a real helpful tip, since some Diddy Kongs will usually just pick up and bananas and continuously chuck them. But the Diddys that I play usually just let the banana peels lay there w/o picking them up. Probably not the best Diddy Kong out there that I have faced, but that's just what I've seen.

Thought or comments?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Try not to get him to have both bananas in the beginning of the match, catch the bananas when possible, glide toss, hit his barrels while he's recovering(maybe?)

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Be careful about hitting him with his banana's, as he will probably UpB. The barrels dislodge and can be deadly. Instead if you get a hold of a banana place it next to his banana. Diddy's will dash grab banana's constantly and this will force him to slow down. When Diddy loses momentum that's when you need to get extremely aggresive.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Be careful about hitting him with his banana's, as he will probably UpB. The barrels dislodge and can be deadly. Instead if you get a hold of a banana place it next to his banana. Diddy's will dash grab banana's constantly and this will force him to slow down. When Diddy loses momentum that's when you need to get extremely aggresive.
Actually, (and I learned this the hard way lol), Diddy can grab the closer banana (his?) with dash attack and go over the second banana without tripping.

-.-'

You can probably try camping his post-grab mode. Like Diddy trying to airdodge to catch banana- camp the ending of the airdodge. Diddy trying to dash attack to get the banana, camp the dash attack.

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
:O

rly?

does it like, pick up the banana and make you jump at the same time? that sounds somewhat useful.
That's what happened during my match. I did a spin charge and the second I went over the banana, I pressed either A or Y (probably both)....and I jumped and somehow got the banana, too. I'll test this out to see if this actually works regularly, as what I did may be just dumb luck or have to be really precise to pull off. Also, dash and grabbing bananas seems to work as well.

lil cj

Smash Lord
This is a very tough match up
Those bananas r very annoying.
Shield the bannas when thrown at u and dash attack the bananas on the ground
Then attack with fair and homing attack:)

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
This is a very tough match up
Those bananas r very annoying.
Shield the bannas when thrown at u and dash attack the bananas on the ground
Then attack with fair and homing attack:)
Dash attack is a good way to pick up bananas, but you also run the risk of still slipping on a banana as well if they are close to each other. Also, if you do shield against a banana thrown at you, be very careful, as you can still slip on that same banana once you release your shield.

OK, so I tested out that theory, and it is, in fact, possible to pick up a banana while doing a spin dash/charge by pressing A during. Also, you will jump in the air when you pick it up. The only downside is that you must be REALLY precise with this, so it probably won't come easy without much practice.

Also, another way to pick up a banana is a canceled dair into shield the instant that you hit the ground. While convenient, it is also is VERY risky. With all of these different ways being brought out, catching bananas when Diddy first launches them in the air is probably the best way to claim a banana

Tenki

Smash Hero
Dash attack is a good way to pick up bananas, but you also run the risk of still slipping on a banana as well if they are close to each other. Also, if you do shield against a banana thrown at you, be very careful, as you can still slip on that same banana once you release your shield.

OK, so I tested out that theory, and it is, in fact, possible to pick up a banana while doing a spin dash/charge by pressing A during. Also, you will jump in the air when you pick it up. The only downside is that you must be REALLY precise with this, so it probably won't come easy without much practice.

Also, another way to pick up a banana is a canceled dair into shield the instant that you hit the ground. While convenient, it is also is VERY risky. With all of these different ways being brought out, catching bananas when Diddy first launches them in the air is probably the best way to claim a banana

Someone test to see if you can catch items while in spin charge.

THIS COULD BE... SOMETHING GOOD.

aeghrur

Smash Champion

I think you can also pick up a banana with F-air if your close enough to the banana. =/(<- if you already know that, ah.... well, I'm slow okay? >.<)

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
Someone test to see if you can catch items while in spin charge.

THIS COULD BE... SOMETHING GOOD.
Wow....that WOULD be nice...and very possible. Only question is this: would you have to be still rolling on the ground and the opponent throw the item at you?

EDIT: @aeghrur-I actually did not know that you could do this actually. I think you would only use this when the banana peel is up in the air. Trying to pick it up while it's in the ground is risky, as there is a bunch of lag if you land on the ground with a fair

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm only semi-new to using Sonic so I don't know all that much about him, but I have foughten a couple diddys on wifi with him (lolwifi).

I know that Sonic can glide toss the distance that he throws his banana, so you could glide toss and then pick the banana up again right afterwards, I don't know if that's any useful though.

Also, people said that Diddy will probably Up B if you throw the banana at him to take advantage of it right? That's then you could always mindgame them with doing a glide toss by just throwing the banana down, so he'll be then charging his Up B with you under him free to punnish how you want once he releases the attack.

Also, don't pick FD against Diddy if you can help it, I swear a good diddy is nearly impossible to fight on that stage >.> Battlefield is pretty good against Diddy though.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Wow....that WOULD be nice...and very possible. Only question is this: would you have to be still rolling on the ground and the opponent throw the item at you?

EDIT: @aeghrur-I actually did not know that you could do this actually. I think you would only use this when the banana peel is up in the air. Trying to pick it up while it's in the ground is risky, as there is a bunch of lag if you land on the ground with a fair
Well, it could help when there's a banana peel at the edge. Jump+f-air and you get an attack+a banana. =D

Tenki

Smash Hero

Did you actually pick it up with the 'jump' command [A]? The only way I can pick up bananas out of a spindash is to jump and instantly do an N-air/F-air while I'm near the item.

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
Did you actually pick it up with the 'jump' command [A]? The only way I can pick up bananas out of a spindash is to jump and instantly do an N-air/F-air while I'm near the item.
Yeah, that was the way that it happened. You have to be so fast in your button movements that I sometimes lost track on how I pick up the banana peel. haha

But yes, jump and instantly do a nair or fair near the item to pick up the banana peel. I ask you Tenki: Was it hard to perform consistently or did it come pretty easily? (Or to anyone else I ask this question)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, that was the way that it happened. You have to be so fast in your button movements that I sometimes lost track on how I pick up the banana peel. haha

But yes, jump and instantly do a nair or fair near the item to pick up the banana peel. I ask you Tenki: Was it hard to perform consistently or did it come pretty easily? (Or to anyone else I ask this question)
Bah, I thought it was a pick up straight off the ground with just [A]

That would have been cool, since it would basically leave you open to do whatever you want in the SDJ instead of committing yourself to airdodge/N-air/F-air.

I just flick from [Y] or [X] to [A], so it's not too hard. Just do it when the banana's about half of Sonic's body's distance away (for catching or picking up items) ;_;

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
Bah, I thought it was a pick up straight off the ground with just [A]

That would have been cool, since it would basically leave you open to do whatever you want in the SDJ instead of committing yourself to airdodge/N-air/F-air.

I just flick from [Y] or [X] to [A], so it's not too hard. Just do it when the banana's about half of Sonic's body's distance away (for catching or picking up items) ;_;
I'll try it when I get the chance with just using A and see if it works if you want. And did we confirm that you can catch items out of the spin dash/charge instead of just picking them up off the ground only? Cause that would be sweet if it is true

Tenki

Smash Hero
And did we confirm that you can catch items out of the spin dash/charge instead of just picking them up off the ground only? Cause that would be sweet if it is true
Yes/no.

It's not what I thought thought it was, which was...
[catch item while in SDR]>[SDJ]

it's more like...
[get near item] > [jump + aerial/airdodge right away to pick up item]

=__=

too bad. I would have liked it better if the first way worked.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Also, don't pick FD against Diddy if you can help it, I swear a good diddy is nearly impossible to fight on that stage >.> Battlefield is pretty good against Diddy though.

Sonic's best stages are Diddy's best stages. The more flat room he has to work with the better he'll be. Yoshi's Island is a bad stage for him(just becareful of the "air tripping" and Rainbow Cruise is his worst level. And one of Sonic's best.

But they probably have a closet metaknight or ROB for that level if they aren't banning... :-/

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Yes/no.

It's not what I thought thought it was, which was...
[catch item while in SDR]>[SDJ]

it's more like...
[get near item] > [jump + aerial/airdodge right away to pick up item]

=__=

too bad. I would have liked it better if the first way worked.
Sigh, we just can't get a break huh? lol

Top Bottom