• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Like IKE! Or do we...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Oh, I get now. My family sense of humor stems from puns and dark humor. I just understand why Japan doesn't prefer well-built or muscular men, especially since Ike was designed in Japan?
Ike represents Fire Emblem in the west since he was our first protagonist. Therefore, his design in Radiant Dawn was probably intended to appeal to western audiences to reel them into the franchise since it was just blossoming here. And his Smash incarnation is based on Radiant Dawn, so.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Ike represents Fire Emblem in the west since he was our first protagonist. Therefore, his design in Radiant Dawn was probably intended to appeal to western audiences to reel them into the franchise since it was just blossoming here. And his Smash incarnation is based on Radiant Dawn, so.
I would not discount the possibility that you are correct.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Ike is awesome is amazing in this game, glad that he looks like a man different from Marth

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
New model, definitely. Hero class was a great idea. Plus, he's much better suited to his powerhouse nature, given his new burly appearance.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Smash 4 Ike is by far the best version of him. It really shows him as a powerhouse character and I look forward to keeping him within my mains list.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
GamesRadar called him a gorilla too.

:/

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
GamesRadar called him a gorilla too.

:/
Literally who.

Video game commentators and journalists are the sorriest bunch of cretins you'll ever see. Don't even get me started. I'm thankful for GameExplain and Alax and the few good ones.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why didn't Japan play any Radiant Dawn?

They had the best script!!

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
While his scrawny look didn't fit, to me, with the way he was carrying that huge sword of his around, I feel I can empathize to a certain extent with the people calling him a 'gorilla'.

I just feel his muscles are too much. They're pretty huge. He should have more muscles than Marth, but that build is over the top, I think.

Also, my view may be tainted by the fact that I didn't play any of the games he was in, but I still tried to look at his official art, and while way manlier than his Brawl incarnation, it didn't look like he was on steroids.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Okay, all the skin he is showing is his biceps. This isn't the Victorian era, where any show of skin is taboo.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just now got around to reading that link... I still do not understand the problem; gorilla or not, you cannot deny his manliness.

Ike is a psuedo-clone of Donkey Kong now

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
You must unlock him only after testing your manliness by defeating the entire cast with Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Bowser, Little Mac, and DK all of your kills must be done with the neutral special only with the exception of Bowser where you must kill with the Bowser bomb. Then you must enter the Konami code which unlocks Contra mode there you will have to be the entirety of Contra with only three lives and no cheat codes. Once you have defeated Contra (Spoiler alert: You won't), you will then have to beat the entirety of Battletoads as Player 2. Then after doing all of this you will have the privilege of facing Ike in combat.

(In all seriousness, he will probably be a starter but I like my solution better)
Mission Impossible.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Ike will be a Starter for sure. That said, I don't understand this notion of "once a starter, always a starter." Things can always change. We haven't seen Metaknight yet, too; honestly I think Metaknight may have been changed to an unlockable character.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
At this point, I'm seeing either one of two possibilities (assuming the Chrom leak is real):

1. Marth is a starter; Ike and Chrom are unlockables.
2. Marth and Ike are starters; Chrom is unlockable.

I'm leaning more towards the latter, considering Fire Emblem is a growing franchise and that more people are becoming familiar with it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind Ike as unlockable this time. There's just something satisfying about unlocking your main character; I don't know how to describe it.

^-^

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
At this point, I'm seeing either one of two possibilities (assuming the Chrom leak is real):

1. Marth is a starter; Ike and Chrom are unlockables.
2. Marth and Ike are starters; Chrom is unlockable.

I'm leaning more towards the latter, considering Fire Emblem is a growing franchise and that more people are becoming familiar with it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind Ike as unlockable this time. There's just something satisfying about unlocking your main character; I don't know how to describe it.

^-^
I agree. Working for something usually helps you appreciate things more. It takes a magnificent gift to top the satisfaction of a job well done.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Marth will definitely be a starter this time, as he appears on the 3DS Group art.

Ike is probably an unlockable.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I agree with @ FalKoopa FalKoopa

I really don't have any reasoning behind this, but it seems like it'd be odd with two FE starters...idk, maybe that's just me.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't see a problem. I think there's a pretty good chance of having two FE starters. We'll see, though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm under the impression that if there are unlockables, then it's all the remaining characters + the third parties and maybe TLink and Luigi. Those last two are a big maybe though. I see no reason why either Marth or Ike need to be unlockable, when there's likely another FE character that can and makes more sense to be one.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I would say that Ike is a starter character; unless, we get a new Fire Emblem rep and Sakurai decides to put that person as the starter instead.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Marth's priority confirmation, Melee veteran status, and his placement from the demo are convincing me that he makes the most sense as a starter. Although, Ike was confirmed before Marth in Brawl, who was an uncertainty at that point.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Considering how early they were announced, I'm obliged to believe BOTH Ike and Marth are starters this time.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Pretty sure since Marth is on the box art, he'll be available right from the start.

Which got me thinking... If Chrom gets a GCI intro movie like Megaman or Charizard, it would likely feature Marth and Ike at first. That would be great, since we haven't seem either of those two in a movie or animation yet!

If for no other reason, that gets me excited for Chrom's reveal.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
Ike`s game wasn't the first released in America. The first one released in America starred Eliwood, Roy`s father, Lyn, and Hector.

Phoenixian_Majesty

Smash Rookie
He's just spent seven years swinging that club around with one hand - Of course he's gonna look stronger!

I really do love Ike's new found muscle though. It really sets him apart from Marth in a kind of Kenshiro-Raoh kind of way. He looks fantastic!

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
People obviously haven't played Radiant Dawn. Everyone looks at least a little different in the game in comparison to their Path of Radiance appearances, as it is a sequel and set a few years after that game. Sucks that some people missed out on the brilliant Tellius series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom