• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Like IKE! Or do we...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Ugh, this is the stupidest thing. Ike doesn't look ANYTHING like a gorilla. Seriously. I don't know why people bring it up. He just looks really sexy and makes you feel weird that you get turned on by his arms, like the no one else of the FE cast in this game.
Fix'd

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Ike is supposed to be 179 cm which mean, and 179 isn't that tall...but I get your point, maybe they just want to make the Hitboxes the same, but he does look badass, and he doesn't look like a gorilla!
Hm interesting, I was just referring to this picture, where he definitely looks 6.5-7 feet. That's quite different from his official stat ;O In this picture: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...E10_Artwork).png/529px-Ike_(FE10_Artwork).png

he is ~7 heads tall. Actually I should say 8, including his head (all the numbers I used before also excluded the head, so add 1). I guess the design was a bit stylized and the model in SSB4 is not as painfully off as I thought :)

Valkyrie_Nyx

Smash Rookie
I definitely prefer SSB4's look since he's just so manly fantastic. Life doesn't get much better than staring at buff Ike. Also the look is really nostalgic for me since my introduction to Ike was Radiant Dawn, which is one of my favorite games of all time and my household (my father and I, that is, both big on FE) have seen it through close to 1500 hours or so last I checked, hahaha... I really like Radiant Dawn. That's an embarrassing amount of playthroughs there. But in any case it's made me adore his look, so glad they went for this version.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Ike's been to the gym. Everyone can see that. So it makes me wonder if Ike will be able to fight a little faster.

In Brawl, Ike was a little on the scrawny side, and you could kinda see he had difficulty swinging Ragnell around. Maybe now that he's hit the gym he can swing his weapon a little faster. Maybe he could even swing his sword around with one hand this time around.

It'd be pretty different. They could keep him with the below-average movement speed and higher weight (and lesser jump height) due to his armor but allow him to swing his sword a little faster than in Brawl. He could take on the role of a Knight basically

What do you think, too much?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Ike's been to the gym. Everyone can see that. So it makes me wonder if Ike will be able to fight a little faster.

In Brawl, Ike was a little on the scrawny side, and you could kinda see he had difficulty swinging Ragnell around. Maybe now that he's hit the gym he can swing his weapon a little faster. Maybe he could even swing his sword around with one hand this time around.

It'd be pretty different. They could keep him with the below-average movement speed and higher weight (and lesser jump height) due to his armor but allow him to swing his sword a little faster than in Brawl. He could take on the role of a Knight basically

What do you think, too much?
In Path of Radiance, Ike wasn't known for his raw power (which he did have). He was known for his speed, capable of doubling most other enemy units in the game. (In Fire Emblem terminology, Doubling is what we call being so much faster than the other person that you can attack them twice in one round)

If Ike gets a speed boost, I will not complain in the slightest.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
In Path of Radiance, Ike wasn't known for his raw power (which he did have). He was known for his speed, capable of doubling most other enemy units in the game. (In Fire Emblem terminology, Doubling is what we call being so much faster than the other person that you can attack them twice in one round)

If Ike gets a speed boost, I will not complain in the slightest.
Wow, you know what, I never even thought about that. True that. I think now I remember why I was so annoyed with him in Brawl. Hopefully he gets some kinda speed boost, I'd even take it as a compromise for less knock back (which is massive enough as is).

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
So far, slow has become less slow in Smash 4. So Link and Samus for example are both a lot faster.

With Bandai Namco on board, I hope Ike will receive significant enhancements. A character should never be both slow in moment and slow in attack. Captain Falcon, for example, has plenty of slow attacks, but a nice selection of faster strikes and his speed can compensate.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
So far, slow has become less slow in Smash 4. So Link and Samus for example are both a lot faster.

With Bandai Namco on board, I hope Ike will receive significant enhancements. A character should never be both slow in moment and slow in attack. Captain Falcon, for example, has plenty of slow attacks, but a nice selection of faster strikes and his speed can compensate.
Come to think of it, all the characters with shown footage but Zelda seem to be sped up. Be running speed, attack lag, or both.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I DEFINITELY think Ike will be much faster on his feet now. He has slow attacks, but that shouldn't be combined with slow movement as well. The only characters I can see being slow are the ones with faster attacks and greater range. Robin is a great example; Robin appears to be a VERY slow character, but most of Robin's moves are fast, hit hard, and have excellent range.

Ike definitely needs to run much faster to compensate for his slower attacks.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I DEFINITELY think Ike will be much faster on his feet now. He has slow attacks, but that shouldn't be combined with slow movement as well. The only characters I can see being slow are the ones with faster attacks and greater range. Robin is a great example; Robin appears to be a VERY slow character, but most of Robin's moves are fast, hit hard, and have excellent range.

Ike definitely needs to run much faster to compensate for his slower attacks.
Actually I feel like the best way to do this is to make Ike stop acting like the sword weighs 50lbs. In his FE games he has no problem swinging it around 1 handed (not to mention his FE stance is much more imposing than the Brawl one).

In Brawl, it's like he never picked up the sword before. Increase the speed that he slashes his sword. That includes whatever his forward smash animation is this time (compared to the crappy one from Brawl).

Basically he needs to look like he's experienced with the Ragnell. The movement speed, weight, and jump height can be the downsides.

EDIT: Plus, his heavier armor in Sm4sh can be an excuse to the slower movement and higher weight

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually I feel like the best way to do this is to make Ike stop acting like the sword weighs 50lbs. In his FE games he has no problem swinging it around 1 handed (not to mention his FE stance is much more imposing than the Brawl one).

In Brawl, it's like he never picked up the sword before. Increase the speed that he slashes his sword. That includes whatever his forward smash animation is this time (compared to the crappy one from Brawl).

Basically he needs to look like he's experienced with the Ragnell. The movement speed, weight, and jump height can be the downsides.

EDIT: Plus, his heavier armor in Sm4sh can be an excuse to the slower movement and higher weight
True, you could argue that as well. His sword slashes should be faster. However, some of his attacks can be slow because he's putting more force onto them.

crazyhandmasterhand

Smash Cadet
SSB4 Ike is pretty much exactly what I was hoping to see for Ike's reveal in this Smash iteration. It further differentiates Ike from Marth aesthetically alongside the already very different playstyles they have compared to one another. Ike really makes Marth look puny compared to him now.

Actually, Ike makes Marth, Lucina, AND Robin look very puny next to him!

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Now lets just hope Manly Ike can actually swing his sword around the way he could in RD...

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I guess it depends on how much faster. He's supposed to be slower and stronger than Marth, and making him faster would kinda defeat the purpose of Marth in some ways.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I guess it depends on how much faster. He's supposed to be slower and stronger than Marth, and making him faster would kinda defeat the purpose of Marth in some ways.
I don't say he should be faster than Marth, but he should run a bit faster at least. His jumping capabilities will definitely be quite slow.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I see what you mean but I'm actually seeing Marth and Ike in two very different ways. I'm gonna use FE classes as a reference.

Marth is a Swordmaster
If you played any FE you'll know what a Swordmaster is (you'll probably know regardless lol). I see Marth as a faster combo-using (ie Dancing Blade) fighter. I see him as being able to run up to one guy much faster than most and being able to dish out multiple 3-5 hit combos. His hits don't do a lot of damage(compensated with the Tipper) but he's also able get in more hits than most. He's got a good combination of ground game and air game as he's able to do a lot of combos on the ground and is capable of getting a couple of good hits in the air.

Ike is a Mercenary / Hero
A Hero in FE is literally best described as the middle ground between Swordmaster and General (Massive tank). I see Ike as not necessarily a massive tank like the General classes in FE, but one that has a good balance between Strength, Speed, and Defense. Due to the armor, he has much heavier weight and less speed than someone like Marth. But his raw power and giganto muscles makes him able to do fast 1-3 hit combos that are able to do a considerable amount of damage. His game is on the ground, and as such, he will have a hard time against guys in the air. He may be able to get 1 hit in the air per jump, but he may have problems doing even that as he can't jump as high as Marth. It's also good to note that Ike IS in fact a Hero in game, except he's not depicted using shields like most Heroes.

So I'm saying Ike should definitely FIGHT faster (not RUN faster) with his usefulness relying mainly on fighting on the ground.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I see what you mean but I'm actually seeing Marth and Ike in two very different ways. I'm gonna use FE classes as a reference.

Marth is a Swordmaster
If you played any FE you'll know what a Swordmaster is (you'll probably know regardless lol). I see Marth as a faster combo-using (ie Dancing Blade) fighter. I see him as being able to run up to one guy much faster than most and being able to dish out multiple 3-5 hit combos. His hits don't do a lot of damage(compensated with the Tipper) but he's also able get in more hits than most. He's got a good combination of ground game and air game as he's able to do a lot of combos on the ground and is capable of getting a couple of good hits in the air.

A Hero in FE is literally best described as the middle ground between Swordmaster and General (Massive tank). I see Ike as not necessarily a massive tank like the General classes in FE, but one that has a good balance between Strength, Speed, and Defense. Due to the armor, he has much heavier weight and less speed than someone like Marth. But his raw power and giganto muscles makes him able to do fast 1-3 hit combos that are able to do a considerable amount of damage. His game is on the ground, and as such, he will have a hard time against guys in the air. He may be able to get 1 hit in the air per jump, but he may have problems doing even that as he can't jump as high as Marth. It's also good to note that Ike IS in fact a Hero in game, except he's not depicted using shields like most Heroes.

So I'm saying Ike should definitely FIGHT faster (not RUN faster) with his usefulness relying mainly on fighting on the ground.
Well, yeah, I definitely see Ike as a Hero. I've never really seem Mart as a Swordmaster, though, I just see Marth as an average Lord. Even Ike's original "Ranger" class was based more on Mercenary than a Lord, especially with how his Aether is essentially just the classic Hero critical attack. Lyn's the only real main Lord who fits the "Swordmaster" class, as she's directly based on that class.

Notably, Lords tend to be more about thrust attacks, Swordmasters are about slash attacks and lots of jumping and maneuvering.

Sure, though, Ike could definitely use faster attacks.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Yeah, he definitely needs to have faster attacks, especially since now he even looks like he should have little trouble swinging Ragnell around. I wouldn't mind if his movement speed got a little faster as well to suit his more athletic build--nothing too fast, just as least below average. Ike hasn't exactly been slow in either of his games, you know?

Hong

The Strongest
Indeed. Ike is a literal Mercenary; he founded a new archetype of the lord/leading character that is much more robust than the archetype that originated with Marth. It is identical statistically to the classic Mercenary class. Overall generalist of all the close-quarters combatants, with good strength, speed and durability. Ike being so fast in Path of Radiance is just him being... superior to mere mortals, able to have that kind of speed while still being such a tough-guy. Love our boy Ike.
Yeah, he definitely needs to have faster attacks, especially since now he even looks like he should have little trouble swinging Ragnell around. I wouldn't mind if his movement speed got a little faster as well to suit his more athletic build--nothing too fast, just as least below average. Ike hasn't exactly been slow in either of his games, you know?
Ike in Brawl was just such a bad design.

A character can have slow movement speed yet have reasonably fast attacks and still be in a lot of trouble in a fighting game, even with the rather forgiving aerial dynamics of Smash. Even if Ike had "average" attack speed, with his slow movement speed, the faster characters will still be able to dance around him after they find an opening. Generally the story with big, strong, bruisers in fighting games is you either keep them out of range the whole match or you never let them get control, but as soon as you mess up that's IT! You're DONE! And it's 100% fair.

Ike in Brawl was too much; far too extreme. Felt like 90% of his moveset was so slow that it could only serve as a whiff-punish, meaning poor Ike is left to contend with nairs, jabs, grab, etc. Having some heavy hitters as an option to punish mistakes is good, but you need to give the character the tools that will cause people to make those mistakes.

I like that Project M gave Ike more core mobility, though its only one of several ways to approach the problem.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931

Marth is a Swordmaster

Very good point! Makes a lot of sense. And yeah man, I love some Fire Emblem!

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Very good point! Makes a lot of sense. And yeah man, I love some Fire Emblem!
Thanks and So do I! Probably the best franchise on Nintendo next to Smash and LoZ.
Well, yeah, I definitely see Ike as a Hero. I've never really seem Mart as a Swordmaster, though, I just see Marth as an average Lord. Even Ike's original "Ranger" class was based more on Mercenary than a Lord, especially with how his Aether is essentially just the classic Hero critical attack. Lyn's the only real main Lord who fits the "Swordmaster" class, as she's directly based on that class.

Notably, Lords tend to be more about thrust attacks, Swordmasters are about slash attacks and lots of jumping and maneuvering.

Sure, though, Ike could definitely use faster attacks.
Of course, Marth isn't exactly a swordmaster. I should have been more clear. What I was trying to say is since he's a Lord and Lords' fighting styles vary (mostly as fast swordsmen / fencers), I'd have to say Marth is closest to Swordmasters.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I'd much prefer faster attacks with less lag over faster movement speed. Ike looks way to manly and experienced now to be swinging Ragnell like in Brawl while I can overlook slower movement speed.

Hong

The Strongest
I'd much prefer faster attacks with less lag over faster movement speed. Ike looks way to manly and experienced now to be swinging Ragnell like in Brawl while I can overlook slower movement speed.
Especially since Smash already actually has a lot of fast-moving heavyweights. Bowser, DK and especially Charizard are all exceptionally quick on their feet.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Hopefully he won't retain the build from brawl. His cons outweighed the pros by a ton. I used him in Brawl at first because he was really cool for being the one Lord (besides Hector) that didn't have that same Marth-esque style but Brawl envisioned him completely wrong and made everything about him slow and clunky...

Which movement and weights whatever, I don't see him as an air fighter anyway. But even his ground moves were painfully slow which caused him to be a punching bag

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
Radiant Dawn Ike for sure. Looks more beefed up and manlier, Represents Ike as a powerhouse character much better.

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping he will be a bit faster on his feet. Ike was very sluggish in a sense that all his attacks came out relatively slow. Even Snake who hits close to if not just as hard as Ike in some cases was faster with a lot of his attacks(Looking at you U and Side tilts).

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Things I want faster:

-Jump lag
-Dead frames of nair removed
-Walk acceleration

Things I want stronger:
-Tilts: Better shield push/damage mostly
-Dsmash: Make the first hit much stronger
-Counter: Not worth the read, a higher minimum % damage would also be nice
-Uncharged Eruption: Quite weak uncharged, otherwise it would have a few more situational uses
-Quick Draw (especially uncharged) + make it less finicky on its trigger
-Grounded aether knocks up properly and the spinning blade keeps opponents inside properly

I'm probably fine with Ike's speed since I spent so much time mastering and getting comfortable with it. I don't like Ike's walking, though. His stronger attacks should mess with shields a bit more, while still remaining susceptible to power shields and artful dodging.

Last edited:

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
Things I want faster:

-Jump lag
-Dead frames of nair removed
-Walk acceleration

Things I want stronger:
-Tilts: Better shield push/damage mostly
-Dsmash: Make the first hit much stronger
-Counter: Not worth the read, a higher minimum % damage would also be nice
-Uncharged Eruption: Quite weak uncharged, otherwise it would have a few more situational uses
-Quick Draw (especially uncharged) + make it less finicky on its trigger
-Grounded aether knocks up properly and the spinning blade keeps opponents inside properly

I'm probably fine with Ike's speed since I spent so much time mastering and getting comfortable with it. I don't like Ike's walking, though. His stronger attacks should mess with shields a bit more, while still remaining susceptible to power shields and artful dodging.
Well Ikes eruption works like marths B special so only thing I doubt they will touch. And His eruption if you release it right before it finishes is actually stronger than a full charge.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
I want an Ike that's a good mix between his Brawl and Project M incarnation

In other words, a faster Ike but not someone that requires a nigh high learning curve

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
I also think Ike should get faster- I had a bit of a hard time fighting some of my friends sometimes because of the slow attacks.

The problem is that he's in his RD form now. If they made him slow when he was based on the game where he had great speed, they might not when he's the 35% growth version. Of course, I could be wrong.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I also think Ike should get faster- I had a bit of a hard time fighting some of my friends sometimes because of the slow attacks.

The problem is that he's in his RD form now. If they made him slow when he was based on the game where he had great speed, they might not when he's the 35% growth version. Of course, I could be wrong.
On the contrary he looks 10x stronger in Sm4sh than in Brawl so literally, the sword would feel lighter to him given his strength which should mean faster hits. Realistically, and logically, Ike would be swinging much faster than in brawl.

This how Sakurai should do it based on Ike's new physical features

Muscle:
- Faster swings with Ragnell
- Mayyybe a little more damage with jabs
***** Outstanding ground game

Armor:
-Slower Movement
- Heavy Weight
- Lower Jumps
**** Bad Air-Game and Mediocre chasing

Status
Not open for further replies.