• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

D

Deleted member

If someone will leak, they are someone who is leaving ninte do soon anyway or is completely certain they wouldnt get caught.
Let's just hope Nintendo has good working conditions to keep their workers in check.

D

Deleted member

I think there's a bit of confusion going on regarding something in this push for more female characters. Something that confuses me too I must admit. So what say we try and clear it up?

The confusion I'm referring to is a possible misconception that Sakurai and Nintendo not adding a lot of female characters means they don't care about the female demographic. Obviously this isn't true, but some of the messages left in this thread seems to apply that some people think it is. Though whether or not that was the intent I'm unsure of so let's pose the question here.

For those who are in support of more female characters in Smash, do you think this statement is true?

Seeing as how my two most wanted characters have more female going on in their concept then male, I could give my answer. But, I already did :p

D

Deleted member

For those who are in support of more female characters in Smash, do you think this statement is true?
To me, it's more or less the "actions speak louder than words"thing. I read that during the Smash 4 Ballot days, they had a Gender option for what the voter's gender was. That means that they probably factor the gender demographic as well.

In addition to that, Smash 4 buffed the female representation in the game from Brawl.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think there's a bit of confusion going on regarding something in this push for more female characters. Something that confuses me too I must admit. So what say we try and clear it up?

The confusion I'm referring to is a possible misconception that Sakurai and Nintendo not adding a lot of female characters means they don't care about the female demographic. Obviously this isn't true, but some of the messages left in this thread seems to apply that some people think it is. Though whether or not that was the intent I'm unsure of so let's pose the question here.

Seeing as how my two most wanted characters have more female going on in their concept then male, I could give my answer. But, I already did :p
its clear sakurai will listen to fans if theres a big enough push for it (ridley and k.rool) however it only goes so far (isaac) so sakurai does care and if theres a big enough call for it he'll add more females characters

or at the very least more of them assist trophies as he seems to views that as close enough

D

Deleted member

its clear sakurai will listen to fans if theres a big enough push for it (ridley and k.rool) however it only goes so far (isaac) so sakurai does care and if theres a big enough call for it he'll add more females characters

or at the very least more of them assist trophies as he seems to views that as close enough
I do personally think that the call for more females is weaker compared to those of males. But still, female support is still strong.

D

Deleted member

Can anyone tell me why everyone is sleeping on Lara?
Personally I see it with a bit of male bias. Couple people say that Lara would work as a ZSS echo even if the two are ABSOLUTELY nothing alike.

But yeah, lack of fan creativity, and gender bias.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I do personally think that the call for more females is weaker compared to those of males. But still, female support is still strong.
well at least they have some as opposed to none, i think every video game character has at least one supporter at this point

she seems to come up every now and then, i think some see her as a real possibility, in my case im just not a fan of her games

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Personally I see it with a bit of male bias. Couple people say that Lara would work as a ZSS echo even if the two are ABSOLUTELY nothing alike.

But yeah, lack of fan creativity, and gender bias.
I think moveset is bigger factor... but when Piranah Plant can work, there is no excuse. Well, Lara is famous for her dual pistols, so she is bound to be some sort of zoner or hybrid.

And there is "hur hur she is not popular/famous in Japan!" But I think this is one of the walls to break down.

D

Deleted member

I think moveset is bigger factor... but when Piranah Plant can work, there is no excuse. Well, Lara is famous for her dual pistols, so she is bound to be some sort of zoner or hybrid.

And there is "hur hur she is not popular/famous in Japan!" But I think this is one of the walls to break down.
I mean, Sakurai can make a Plant work, but they can't make a moveset for one of gaming's most iconic females? How...insulting. But we shall see.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I mean, Sakurai can make a Plant work, but they can't make a moveset for one of gaming's most iconic females? How...insulting. But we shall see.
Moveset is the argument frequently used against her from what I've seen. Still, they can pull her artifacts, gadgets and reboot stuff. And, she knows martial arts, so they can incorporate that. I hope they would take classic Lara over reboot.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen much of Japan argument used against her. I guess her being owned by a Japanese company helps.

People keep talking about Sora and Geno whent it comes to Square Enix. I know Lara is still brought up, but not as frequently as those two.

This video sums up nicely.

D

Deleted member

Moveset is the argument frequently used against her from what I've seen. Still, they can pull her artifacts, gadgets and reboot stuff. And, she knows martial arts, so they can incorporate that. I hope they would take classic Lara over reboot.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen much of Japan argument used against her. I guess her being owned by a Japanese company helps.

People keep talking about Sora and Geno whent it comes to Square Enix. I know Lara is still brought up, but not as frequently as those two.

Will probably watch it when I find time.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For me i think the biggest thing against lara is SE. They are being super stingy with anyone they allow in, and i feel she may have a hard time too. Its another reason why i think sora has no chance. Geno only has a chance due to fan demand and partially owned by nintendo

TriggerX

Smash Ace
For me i think the biggest thing against lara is SE. They are being super stingy with anyone they allow in, and i feel she may have a hard time too. Its another reason why i think sora has no chance. Geno only has a chance due to fan demand and partially owned by nintendo
Lara is a bit different from both Geno and Sora. Financially Square probably benefits the most pushing the tomb raider series since they own it as a whole.

Unfortunately for Geno and Sora their rights and/or ability to use are mixed up with different companies. They may own Geno, but because they don’t own any of the Mario characters it doesn’t make sense for them to actively push him. They would potentially receive a lump sum for genos rights versus indirect benefits.
Although Sora does have a leg up on Geno in that regard, the only profits square would likely see from Sora in a smash inclusion is an indirect spike in game sales for KH.

Kind of where Lara comes in. Nintendo would essentially have to pay Square for licensing, as well as square getting an additional spike in game sales potentially. So from a business perspective, I see square pushing Tomb Raider before anything. It is their third biggest series in terms of sales at least.

I think Lara would be a serious contender if there was any news regarding ports to the switch. However, I don’t know how well the switch would be able to handle some of her new games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
sora is owned by disney not SE so you cant really apply the same reasoning and geno isnt partially owned by nintendo he is pure SE

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To me, it's more or less the "actions speak louder than words"thing. I read that during the Smash 4 Ballot days, they had a Gender option for what the voter's gender was. That means that they probably factor the gender demographic as well.

In addition to that, Smash 4 buffed the female representation in the game from Brawl.
Too many people over look the gender option that was on the Ballot. Sure we got Bayonetta from it, but it wouldn't surprise me if we got another Ballot female character like Shantae or somebody. To be quite honest I think Daisy got in due to the Ballot as well as Dark Samus even though she isn'ttechnically a female or a male.

Because in the 90s and beyond a lot of male gamers saw her as a sex object. I heard stuff about people making bikini or naked mods back in the day.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think lara is a great choice and deserves to be in if only for her impact on the gaming industry. She could have a good moveset too. Using guns and lots of flip kicks, but i think they could bring in her archology and her other equipment too. Maybe even had a t rex in as an homage to the original games

I just think SE is being way too stingy with its ips whoch in turn makes it hard for nintendo and sakurai to get them into the game. Just look how little of any FF stuff is in the game. Still just 2 musics. And the DQ music has no remixes, only 2 from each game for each hero. Its kinda obvious SE is hard to work with.

I think if Edios was still around and the owner of Lara still then she would be a 100% in my book

Murder Space Dragon

Smash Cadet
I'd personally rather a character get in due to their significance in video game culture and moveset potential rather than their gender. There are some female characters I think would satisfy both though. The ones I'd personally like to see are

1. Dixie Kong
2. Shantae
3. Hornet

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman

->Ridley and K rool were added because the roster was lacking heavies.

D.Va maybe? She is the most googled overwatch character according to a youtube video

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think lara is a great choice and deserves to be in if only for her impact on the gaming industry. She could have a good moveset too. Using guns and lots of flip kicks, but i think they could bring in her archology and her other equipment too. Maybe even had a t rex in as an homage to the original games

I just think SE is being way too stingy with its ips whoch in turn makes it hard for nintendo and sakurai to get them into the game. Just look how little of any FF stuff is in the game. Still just 2 musics. And the DQ music has no remixes, only 2 from each game for each hero. Its kinda obvious SE is hard to work with.

I think if Edios was still around and the owner of Lara still then she would be a 100% in my book
i believe there were licencing issues with FF in smash and thats why theres so little and ultimate was starting to be planned around the end of smash 4's dlc so its possible it was a licence for two games

D

Deleted member

Pretty much, but hey, you can work it out by having Tomb Raider having two songs as well. Better than nothing I'd say.

I'd personally rather a character get in due to their significance in video game culture and moveset potential rather than their gender. There are some female characters I think would satisfy both though. The ones I'd personally like to see are

1. Dixie Kong
2. Shantae
3. Hornet
I honestly, honestly, honestly never took the "significance over gender" agreement. Sure, that is a general consensus, but sometimes, there are people like me who gauge it at both ends. Gender and significance are just as equal in my book. If it doesn't matter to them, it's fine, but it matters to me an d many others.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
here's a random topic for discussion, now wanting more female representation in smash is a good thing but are there any female characters you would prefer didnt get into smash? because you feel they wouldnt do the representation any good or you simply dont like the character
I don't want any more ladies from Fire Emblem, but that's because I don't want any more Fire Emblem characters, period. I really can't think of any female characters I flat-out don't want (at least none that actually have a shot). I guess there are some I don't want to see before a more iconic character from the same series? For example, I'd like to see Amy Rose as a Sonic rep, but not before Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Eggman.

I definitely don't think Sakurai and co. are purposely neglecting the female demographic. It's just that gaming was a boys' club for much of its history, so most of gaming's iconic characters are male. That is slowly changing.

D

Deleted member

I definitely don't think Sakurai and co. are purposely neglecting the female demographic. It's just that gaming was a boys' club for much of its history, so most of gaming's iconic characters are male. That is slowly changing.
Even so, it isn't always like that. Smash can always bring in some new blood.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
->Ridley and K rool were added because the roster was lacking heavies.

D.Va maybe? She is the most googled overwatch character according to a youtube video
They are villains too which was also something the roster was lacking. They were EXTREMELY popular during the Smash Ballot and pre-Ultimate days as well so don't count that out. Sakurai even said it himself that Ridley and K. Rool were added because of the Smash Ballot.

D

Deleted member

They are villains too which was also something the roster was lacking. They were EXTREMELY popular during the Smash Ballot and pre-Ultimate days as well so don't count that out. Sakurai even said it himself that Ridley and K. Rool were added because of the Smash Ballot.
Ridley and K. Rool do have that factor tho.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't want any more ladies from Fire Emblem, but that's because I don't want any more Fire Emblem characters, period. I really can't think of any female characters I flat-out don't want (at least none that actually have a shot). I guess there are some I don't want to see before a more iconic character from the same series? For example, I'd like to see Amy Rose as a Sonic rep, but not before Tails, Knuckles, and Dr. Eggman.
well i think most would agree with you on the fire emblem front

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Way I see it, these are the female characters who have a shot in order or likelihood:

Kos-mos - (Probably best shot, probably going to make an appearance in the xenoblade re release coming soon).
Shantae: third party, spirit there, fan demand, upcoming game
Dixie Kong - fan demand for a while. Frequently suggested as an echo but could easily have her own set
Impa - Pretty much equal to Dixie Kong
Captain Syrup - Not likely as she hasn’t been in a game since the wii. But cool character and set.
Medusa - Not a crazy likelihood because kid icarus uprising was criminally underappreciated.
Anna - actually the most likely. Because the next dlc is all fire emblem characters.

D

Deleted member

Way I see it, these are the female characters who have a shot in order or likelihood:

Kos-mos - (Probably best shot, probably going to make an appearance in the xenoblade re release coming soon).
Shantae: third party, spirit there, fan demand, upcoming game
Dixie Kong - fan demand for a while. Frequently suggested as an echo but could easily have her own set
Impa - Pretty much equal to Dixie Kong
Captain Syrup - Not likely as she hasn’t been in a game since the wii. But cool character and set.
Medusa - Not a crazy likelihood because kid icarus uprising was criminally underappreciated.
Anna - actually the most likely. Because the next dlc is all fire emblem characters.
Tbh I don't wanna go all-in with KOSMOS due to the uncertainty of this pack's choices.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
She has an appearance in the other xenoblade game on the switch, is associated with the franchise, and a number of other game cameos.
ok that is a bit of a stretch. her association with the franchise is in one game and you cant really use the fact that shes cameoed in other games as reasoning cause then you could stretch that logic to anything. more to the point we know nothing of the nature of the new features for XCDE so there may not be any room for her

Top Bottom