• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
You're bringing a movement that's borderline political into a video game.
It is not borderline political, it is an inherently political matter.

. A form of entertainment that people use to try and escape the stress of real-life situations like that. That's why people hate the idea of politics being ingrained into video games, movies, etc
I mean, there are consequences to completely avoiding subjects. This is why gaming has issues with toxic communities since silence inhibits self-regulation. Like harassment at tournaments not being addressed properly. Being harassed in mic chat as you play a game is also very stressful. These issues being addressed would improve gaming experience, so going political is not inherently bad. In fact people do so because they have good intentions. Recognizing that is key to civil discourse.

Boycotting the DLC if it didn't have a female, something you said multiple times that you would do, is going too far.
It's her money. If the DLC didn't have any characters you want you don't have to buy it.
At any rate, I feel like it's enough to tell Sakurai that one wants more female characters.

you have no impact on this game.
That's not true at all. If that were true fan picks would never get in. The impact lies in voice.

All it does is hurt the community.
No? I mean at the very least it's made people more aware of female characters. All the issue really is about is being civil, not making a subject taboo.

D

Deleted member

It is not borderline political, it is an inherently political matter.

I mean, there are consequences to completely avoiding subjects. This is why gaming has issues with toxic communities since silence inhibits self-regulation. Like harassment at tournaments not being addressed properly. Being harassed in mic chat as you play a game is also very stressful. These issues being addressed would improve gaming experience, so going political is not inherently bad. In fact people do so because they have good intentions. Recognizing that is key to civil discourse.

It's her money. If the DLC didn't have any characters you want you don't have to buy it.
At any rate, I feel like it's enough to tell Sakurai that one wants more female characters.

That's not true at all. If that were true fan picks would never get in. The impact lies in voice.

No? I mean at the very least it's made people more aware of female characters. All the issue really is about is being civil, not making a subject taboo.
Harassment at tournaments and over the mic are things that action should be taken to prevent. Absolutely no argument there. But trying to get the content of the game to happen a certain way won’t do anything to change it.

True, she’s free to spend her money her way. But I still can, and still do, have some issues with her reasoning.

I was referring to the fact that no one fan changes anything by themselves. Lesley alone changes nothing, I alone change nothing, no one alone changes anything.

Making people more aware of female characters doesn’t hurt the community. Things like accusing those who would rather see characters who happen to be male of being biased against women, things that Lesley has done, those do hurt the community.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Considering that Fighter Pass had all of it's characters chosen by Nintendo, Sakurai only had input on whether or not the character could work, It's factually incorrect that this is the case. I believe Fighter Pass 2 also had it's characters chosen by Nintendo but I would need to double check that.

Also, can we try to avoid statements like that? It makes it sound like Sakurai just does whatever he wants and only what he wants without caring about what other people, in the company or in the fanbase, would like to see. And once again, there's a lot of proof that this isn't the case.
geez it was joke

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Statistically, I do believe a female representative is highly likely. I can pretty much guarantee this will be the case. What is uncertain though is who it will be.

I guess my question to frequents of this board would be, is everyone really ok with an alt costume? I mean, is that considered a female representative?

Personally Id love to see more characters who were intended to be female like Lara Croft or Kos Mos. Blank slate characters like Byleth, Robin, wii trainer, etc just don't have the same charm is all.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
People really need to stop using that excuse so much. It really doesn’t work. Especially since text can make it hard to tell what’s a joke and what’s not.
but it wasnt an excuse it genuinely was a joke

D

Deleted member

Lesley. I mean this with the most respect I can muster. You need to stop.

Your obsession with having more female characters has become unhealthy. Accusing people of not caring about the female character options just because they would rather see a lot of characters who just so happen to be male? There's no other way to put this, that makes you a jerk.

You've even called people wanting characters who happen to be male over wanting female characters "male bias". Seriously? As ridiculous as this misplaced movement of yours has been, until that statement I had believed the entire time that you were not sexist. But now I'm starting to wonder.

And to clear up some apparent misconception, people don't call you out on this movement of yours because they have a problem with women. These are the reasons you get called out for it.

1. You're bringing a movement that's borderline political into a video game. Don't get me wrong, any and all statements of "women's rights are just another political ploy" are complete BS as women deserve equal rights to men regardless of any politics. But this is a video game. A form of entertainment that people use to try and escape the stress of real-life situations like that. That's why people hate the idea of politics being ingrained into video games, movies, etc so much and while what you're doing isn't fueled by something political, the context of the situation leads to the same result.

2. As stated earlier, you have had a few too many moments of giving people crap for views that differ from yours during this whole ordeal.

3. Boycotting the DLC if it didn't have a female, something you said multiple times that you would do, is going too far. That's refusing to support the developers work on the DLC because it didn't cater to your tastes. And there are many examples, female character desire or otherwise, as to why such a thing is viewed with disdain. Speaking of which.

4. At the end of day, what your asking for is another "I want this character because of what they represent" campaign. "I want this character because they use a weapon that's not a sword". "I want this character because they come from a series that needs more characters in Smash". Things like that. While it remains true that the fanbase doesn't know exactly what goes through Sakurai's mind, we can piece together bits and patterns that he has shown multiple times. And through that, it's seems very clear that the highest priority for him and his team is what the character can do and how fun they are to play. His statement of that being more important than whether or not the character is recognizable is as recent as the Terry presentation. Which is only a couple months old.

"But there's a lot of female characters who could be fun" Stop. We know. But there's also a lot of male characters who could be fun. It's not about gender and as much as you want it to be, you have no impact on this game. Sakurai will add who gets added male or female. And if you're disappointed with the results? Sorry to say but you're going to have to just deal with it. This game is not made to cater to the tastes of one specific crowd.

5. This community suffers too much from divide and disrespect caused from fan made rules that the developers don't actually take into account and expectations that are set too high by people who disrespect others, developers and fans alike, when those expectations are not met. That's the last reason I can list as to why people have a problem with what you do in this female characters push. All it does is hurt the community.
Oh dear...this is going to be a long day, isn't it?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Aaaanyway, drama aside:
@NintenZ was playing Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls earlier this month, occasionally showing progress on Twitter. One tweet he made yesterday an interesting point for a Danganronpa rep for Smash:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Don’t worry, I’m not here to ruin anyone’s dreams of Monokuma.

D

Deleted member

which one?
Sakurai's philosophy on selecting main protagonists first. Though...considering Joker...

Danganronpa was a game series first right? Sorta like how Digimon is?
Yes. Digimon started as an LCD game a la Game and Watch, therefore eligible. It's mostly association that's causing an opinion that he's an "anime" character. Same with Saber.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Granblue Fantasy was a hot topic on the main thread recently.
Unfortunately, only after Smash bros ever set the first example of introducing a franchise leader that isn't a protagonist could we wish it to happen in Smash bros.

Right now followed by past examples, the most possible candidate for Granblue now is Gran/Djeeta, pretty much similiar with the choice of FE series.

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, only after Smash bros ever set the first example of introducing a franchise leader that isn't a protagonist could we wish it to happen in Smash bros.

Right now followed by past examples, the most possible candidate for Granblue now is Gran/Djeeta, pretty much similiar with the choice of FE series.
I mean...Tekken could try with Heihachi, I mean.

D

Deleted member

well i think robin and lucina may have been the only exception thus far
The FE Awakening trio seems a bit confusing if you ask me. You have Robin who usually has, depending on the context, equal footing compared to the trio, along with Lucina who was a somewhat last-minute addition, hence why she's a Marth clone.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The FE Awakening trio seems a bit confusing if you ask me. You have Robin who usually has, depending on the context, equal footing compared to the trio, along with Lucina who was a somewhat last-minute addition, hence why she's a Marth clone.
i wouldnt know i havent played awakening everyone just kept telling me chrom was the main guy

zferolie

Smash Hero
relax my friend! I think @psb123 brings up some valid points, but still they are saying it as kind as possible. we can't let smash speculation get too serious or effect us that much. its still just a game, and we cannot let it mess us up that much.

I do think its a great thing to push for more female representation, but there will be people who view that as bad, as a character shouldn't just get in because they are a girl, and I agree. Being a girl should be just 1 of the reasons, not the only one. Sakurai's 1 defining charactistic in all the characters he chooses is that they need to have an interesting or unique moveset. He seems he wants to keep making new characters that are different from the others.

As for them being the main character, that useally means they also have the most to pull from for moveset design. And sadly most video game leads are male because for the longest time they made male leads because they felt it would bring in more sales. this has changed a ton since the 90's, but many big name franchises still started during that time, and should been considered for smash. I think if sakurai keeps taking from newer games we should get more girls.

I do think Sakurai should have defaulted for the female avatar for Bylth though, as that seems MUCH more popular everywhere, though that may have been a marketing decision.

D

Deleted member

I do think its a great thing to push for more female representation, but there will be people who view that as bad, as a character shouldn't just get in because they are a girl, and I agree. Being a girl should be just 1 of the reasons, not the only one. Sakurai's 1 defining charactistic in all the characters he chooses is that they need to have an interesting or unique moveset. He seems he wants to keep making new characters that are different from the others.
Getting a character in due to femininity was never really a goal...I mean, take my most wanted Morrigan for example. Why do i want her? Because of not only being female, but also has a ton of potential. She's a staple of Capcom crossovers (a la Captain Falcon), she has an interesting concept to bring, and much more. Though even I doubt her chances.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Getting a character in due to femininity was never really a goal...I mean, take my most wanted Morrigan for example. Why do i want her? Because of not only being female, but also has a ton of potential. She's a staple of Capcom crossovers (a la Captain Falcon), she has an interesting concept to bring, and much more. Though even I doubt her chances.
Oh i know you feel that way, i just was saying how some people view us on why we want girls: because bewbs are kewl lololol

D

Deleted member

I mean, take my most wanted Morrigan for example.
You know, there's something I've been wondering about the idea of Morrigan in Smash. In Darkstalkers, isn't one of her Ultimate Attacks called "Darkness Illusion"?

Not saying that would for sure be her Final Smash if she got in. But if it was, I could see a joke comic or 2 of Meta Knight and Morrigan glaring at each other over having to share Final Smash names XD

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

You know, there's something I've been wondering about the idea of Morrigan in Smash. In Darkstalkers, isn't one of her Ultimate Attacks called "Darkness Illusion"?

Not saying that would for sure be her Final Smash if she got in. But if it was, I could see a joke comic or 2 of Meta Knight and Morrigan glaring at each other over having to share Final Smash names XD
Perhaps....?

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I can't believe I haven't posted here yet. Like I said in the other thread, I'd love to see more ladies in Smash! My most wanted female fighters are Dixie Kong and Chun-Li. I think Valkyrie from Legend of the Valkyrie would be a great, unexpected Namco rep too.

D

Deleted member

I can't believe I haven't posted here yet. Like I said in the other thread, I'd love to see more ladies in Smash! My most wanted female fighters are Dixie Kong and Chun-Li. I think Valkyrie from Legend of the Valkyrie would be a great, unexpected Namco rep too.
Valkyrie sounds...interesting. Maybe I should check that seriss out someday..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
here's a random topic for discussion, now wanting more female representation in smash is a good thing but are there any female characters you would prefer didnt get into smash? because you feel they wouldnt do the representation any good or you simply dont like the character

D

Deleted member

here's a random topic for discussion, now wanting more female representation in smash is a good thing but are there any female characters you would prefer didnt get into smash? because you feel they wouldnt do the representation any good or you simply dont like the character
As the thread supporter myself, to me, the ones I'd rather not get into Smash...are very scarce or none. Every female is unique in their own way, and any of them can bring reasonable representation to the game. In a game that has scarcity with its ratio compared to other fighting games, female characters are a valuable commodity, tp the point that any female character could work as of the moment, though it is up to Nintendo's decisions on how to tackle this...

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Lesley, what are your thoughts on Ayumi? I'll consider her a possible candidate if the FDC remakes that will release this year get localized.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lesley, what are your thoughts on Ayumi? I'll consider her a possible candidate if the FDC remakes that will release this year get localized.
Hmm...Ayumi...I don't know a lot about her games but it's really up to Sakurai to make a mpveset for her. But she could be a great addition if these remakes ever make a huge impact.

zferolie

Smash Hero
so sakurai's famitsu article has leaked, and he talks about the this fighters pass a bit.

There are no other plans for any more dlc after these 6 fighters, Nintendo picked them again, and there are no further smash entries planned.

D

Deleted member

so sakurai's famitsu article has leaked, and he talks about the this fighters pass a bit.

There are no other plans for any more dlc after these 6 fighters, Nintendo picked them again, and there are no further smash entries planned.
*cracks knuckles*

It's now or never, Nintendo. If you care about the precious female demographic, this is the shot.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Also, I only just saw this since i just woke up, it seems nintendo is being super hard against insider leaks, so I doubt anything will leak again unless nintendo accidently messes up like with SNK trademark. I feel this means that cacodemon leak is 100% fake then.

So I like being surprised for sure, but I hope they start to show something soon, both for smash and other games.

D

Deleted member

Also, I only just saw this since i just woke up, it seems nintendo is being super hard against insider leaks, so I doubt anything will leak again unless nintendo accidently messes up like with SNK trademark. I feel this means that cacodemon leak is 100% fake then.

So I like being surprised for sure, but I hope they start to show something soon, both for smash and other games.
Finally a great time to be surprised.

Good luck to Lord Vergeben tho

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

Think the Sword and Shield leaks traumatized the **** of them for this?

Will be interesting to see his reaction. This does seem like a public execution if you know what I mean.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As the thread supporter myself, to me, the ones I'd rather not get into Smash...are very scarce or none. Every female is unique in their own way, and any of them can bring reasonable representation to the game. In a game that has scarcity with its ratio compared to other fighting games, female characters are a valuable commodity, tp the point that any female character could work as of the moment, though it is up to Nintendo's decisions on how to tackle this...
thats fair, some of the females i dont like are already in, but luckily so is my favourite

zferolie

Smash Hero
Finally a great time to be surprised.

I like beimg surprised. I enjoyed seeing byleth with no leaks, even laughing thinking to myself how people may be reacting.

Think the Sword and Shield leaks traumatized the **** of them for this?

Will be interesting to see his reaction. This does seem like a public execution if you know what I mean.
Yeah i think those pokemon leaks broke the camels back as it were. And i think vergeben will go about leaking other projects, jist not smash. And if he leaks anything smash, it will be during or right before a dorect, as what happened woth the mii costumes

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Yeah I think those pokemon leaks broke the camel's back as it were. And i think vergeben will go about leaking other projects, jist not smash. And if he leaks anything smash, it will be during or right before a direct, as what happened with the mii costumes
I agree on this 100%.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo but when it comes to stuff like this, their attitude towards to fan games and taking down soundtracks off YouTube, kinda makes me want to push away a bit.

Would love to see the fine print of all this. Still one thing I've learned is that there will always be another leaker from Nintendo. Tighten a ship too much and eventually it'll sink.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I agree on this 100%.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo but when it comes to stuff like this, their attitude towards to fan games and taking down soundtracks off YouTube, kinda makes me want to push away a bit.

Would love to see the fine print of all this. Still one thing I've learned is that there will always be another leaker from Nintendo. Tighten a ship too much and eventually it'll sink.
If someone will leak, they are someone who is leaving ninte do soon anyway or is completely certain they wouldnt get caught.

Top Bottom