• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

zferolie

Smash Hero
Then again, even with the aforementioned theory, the identity of our first fighter is still anonymous at best. Or it could pass as a surprise since if we get a spirit promotion then it is going to be big for a TON of fanbases.
I feel like they need to convince people to buy the pass, and opening the pass with a big character is important. I can see a spirit promotion being the first.

Still cool we have no leaks whatsoever. I feel like Sakurai is being very hush hush about smash now, so very little leaks for it will happen.

D

Deleted member

I feel like they need to convince people to buy the pass, and opening the pass with a big character is important. I can see a spirit promotion being the first.

Still cool we have no leaks whatsoever. I feel like Sakurai is being very hush hush about smash now, so very little leaks for it will happen.
A Spirit promotion is of course going to be a big deal, though I am curious as to how the developers will exactly handle this. They can just program a new fighter spirit to help complement for the existing fighter. And there are tons of pictures to choose from; you can just take existing artwork of other characters and/or use the existing Smash render as the Fighter Spirit, kind of like with Robin/Pokemon Trainer/Mii Fighters.

A part of me wants a leak to happen as to give us viable information for discussion, while it would be best to preserve the hype until the actual character is revealed.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Whether or not you consider my Byleth argument a "No True Scotsman" case, I prefer default costumes over the alternate colors and I'm not much of a fan of gender-swapped alts. And besides, defaults are seen more often so you can easily forget some characters have swappable genders, like Wendy is one alt for Bowser Jr. Why can't they just be Echo Fighters like Lucina? Female Byleth holds her sword differently. Shouldn't that qualify for an Echo instead of an alternate costume? As for Kazooie, I always forget she's a girl. But even so, she's used more like a prop than a character. Banjo keeps slamming her to the ground and chokes eggs out of her. A little too abusive if you ask me. And in Byleth's trailer, he turned into a girl like Ranma Saotome. A male TERF like me shouldn't like that kind of gender bending. I hope Fighters Pass 2 could have an actual female character like Lara Croft. And if spirits can be promoted to playable, there'd be more options like Shantae. Allowing Assist Trophies to be playable could get Krystal and Yuri in. Maybe Amy or Blaze from Sonic could get in? Chun-Li could be a great addition too. If Crash Bandicoot gets in, I would love to have his sister Coco as an Echo Fighter. And Edelgard would have probably been a better choice than Byleth. How about Morrigan? The great ninja Yuffie from Final Fantasy? Any of the Dead or Alive girls?

D

Deleted member

Whether or not you consider my Byleth argument a "No True Scotsman" case, I prefer default costumes over the alternate colors and I'm not much of a fan of gender-swapped alts. And besides, defaults are seen more often so you can easily forget some characters have swappable genders, like Wendy is one alt for Bowser Jr. Why can't they just be Echo Fighters like Lucina? Female Byleth holds her sword differently. Shouldn't that qualify for an Echo instead of an alternate costume? As for Kazooie, I always forget she's a girl. But even so, she's used more like a prop than a character. Banjo keeps slamming her to the ground and chokes eggs out of her. A little too abusive if you ask me. And in Byleth's trailer, he turned into a girl like Ranma Saotome. A male TERF like me shouldn't like that kind of gender bending. I hope Fighters Pass 2 could have an actual female character like Lara Croft. And if spirits can be promoted to playable, there'd be more options like Shantae. Allowing Assist Trophies to be playable could get Krystal and Yuri in. Maybe Amy or Blaze from Sonic could get in? Chun-Li could be a great addition too. If Crash Bandicoot gets in, I would love to have his sister Coco as an Echo Fighter. And Edelgard would have probably been a better choice than Byleth. How about Morrigan? The great ninja Yuffie from Final Fantasy? Any of the Dead or Alive girls?
To be fair we have COUNTLESS amounts of discussion over that, man. Go and read the older female discussion thread and read the crapton of pages of some of us discussing Kazooie.

But yeah. We have yet to get a solo Female DLC, and we do not know the direction Sakurai will take.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Why can't they just be Echo Fighters like Lucina? Female Byleth holds her sword differently. Shouldn't that qualify for an Echo instead of an alternate costume?
Mostly because Echo Fighters are more suited to the base game. Also, the two Byleths are pretty much alternate universe counterparts of each other, not the same situation as Marth/Lucina.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
youve never played and banjo kazooie have you

zferolie

Smash Hero
A Spirit promotion is of course going to be a big deal, though I am curious as to how the developers will exactly handle this. They can just program a new fighter spirit to help complement for the existing fighter. And there are tons of pictures to choose from; you can just take existing artwork of other characters and/or use the existing Smash render as the Fighter Spirit, kind of like with Robin/Pokemon Trainer/Mii Fighters.

A part of me wants a leak to happen as to give us viable information for discussion, while it would be best to preserve the hype until the actual character is revealed.
Well I would say they just rename the old spirits, as has been shown to be possible already with some being renamed recently. Both Shantae and Geno, the 2 biggest contenders for SPirit Promotion I think, only have 1 spirit of themselves, and its an older game design(For shantae Seven sirens is coming out soon with a new design for her) and only 1 other spirit tied to them(Mallow for Geno, Risky Boots for Shantae) so they can easily add plenty of more Spirits for them for the spirit board.

As for leaks, I like being in the dark but I would like to narrow it down a bit.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still want Ms. Pac-Man to be more than a stage cameo.

Stupid legal jumbo jumbo.

D

Deleted member

I still want Ms. Pac-Man to be more than a stage cameo.

Stupid legal jumbo jumbo.
To be honest I never got the legal stuff behind Ms. Pac-Man. I mean, she's taken from freaking BANDAI NAMCO of all companies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
New Sakurai Famitsu colomn is out, and Sakurai says some interesting things.

https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro...snt-choose-the-fighters-for-super-smash-bros/

• Masahiro Sakurai: “I don’t choose the fighters based on my own preference, that’s for Nintendo to bring in.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “This time around, we brought the experience of immediately playing as the protagonist of a game that people currently play. At the starting point of its production, we experimented by working with a title that was in development.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “There are too many Fire Emblem characters. And there are too many sword characters. I, too, understand. However, these things are already decided, so we move forward. The things I should be thinking about are elsewhere.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “Since there are too many sword characters, we make them all have their own tactics that are unique to the fighter.”
So Sakurai is saying yes there are too many sword users and FE users, but he is doing what he is told and lets move on from that, and he will make anyone nintendo makes him do fun.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
He should’ve picked Edelgard, she would’ve brought more to the table in my opinion.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
New Sakurai Famitsu colomn is out, and Sakurai says some interesting things.

https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro...snt-choose-the-fighters-for-super-smash-bros/

• Masahiro Sakurai: “I don’t choose the fighters based on my own preference, that’s for Nintendo to bring in.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “This time around, we brought the experience of immediately playing as the protagonist of a game that people currently play. At the starting point of its production, we experimented by working with a title that was in development.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “There are too many Fire Emblem characters. And there are too many sword characters. I, too, understand. However, these things are already decided, so we move forward. The things I should be thinking about are elsewhere.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “Since there are too many sword characters, we make them all have their own tactics that are unique to the fighter.”
So Sakurai is saying yes there are too many sword users and FE users, but he is doing what he is told and lets move on from that, and he will make anyone nintendo makes him do fun.
So many Fire Emblem characters and still not a single unique female with 8 costumes that can appear by default on the CSS. And if your the kind of person that stacks echos that means no female FE characters on the menu.

And people wonder why everyone goes for the female versions of Corrin, Byleth, etc. Maybe if we had Lyn, Anna, Azura, etc., things would be a little more equal.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
So many Fire Emblem characters and still not a single unique female with 8 costumes that can appear by default on the CSS. And if your the kind of person that stacks echos that means no female FE characters on the menu.

And people wonder why everyone goes for the female versions of Corrin, Byleth, etc. Maybe if we had Lyn or Anna things would be a little more equal.
That is probably the problem of several of the picks being decided by Nintendo is that the characters that appear as the "PoV character" (the actual always controlable main character in a game) are almost always male, or male for default (With the only exception I rememeber being Splatoon... kind of)

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
sure you dont sak
He has a say (they can't force him to... I don't know... put Toad? I guess, I can't remember an better example of a character that Nintendo would approve but Sakurai doesn't have much to do with them in his opinion), but all the DLC Characters have being approved by Nintendo, they are from "the list".

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To be honest I never got the legal stuff behind Ms. Pac-Man. I mean, she's taken from freaking BANDAI NAMCO of all companies.
Well it's a long story that begins with Ms. Pac-Man being the results of Pac-Man's western distributor Midway buying out a Pac-Man hack and making it into Ms. Pac-Man. After Namco got bought by Bandai and Midway got bought by WB the rights to the Pac-Man games not made in japan bounced all over the place and today Ms. Pac-Man is owned by At-Games, makers of questionable retro machines.

That's also why there's such a spotty mix of Pac-Man stuff in Smash. I wonder if Sakurai went for a Pac-Land stage because that was the only way they could legally show Ms. Pac-Man, being an exact remake of her original cameo. (note how the fairy queen get his own spirit but she doesn't)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He has a say (they can't force him to... I don't know... put Toad? I guess, I can't remember an better example of a character that Nintendo would approve but Sakurai doesn't have much to do with them in his opinion), but all the DLC Characters have being approved by Nintendo, they are from "the list".
well thats kind of the point, hes making it sound like nintendo forced him to put in byleth, but he had to be willing to do it. if nintendo had a list for him to chose from then he would have ignored a lot of other nintendo characters or if they had just picked 5 characters for him to use why would they only have one of their own characters?

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Well it's a long story that begins with Ms. Pac-Man being the results of Pac-Man's western distributor Midway buying out a Pac-Man hack and making it into Ms. Pac-Man. After Namco got bought by Bandai and Midway got bought by WB the rights to the Pac-Man games not made in japan bounced all over the place and today Ms. Pac-Man is owned by At-Games, makers of questionable retro machines.

That's also why there's such a spotty mix of Pac-Man stuff in Smash. I wonder if Sakurai went for a Pac-Land stage because that was the only way they could legally show Ms. Pac-Man, being an exact remake of her original cameo. (note how the fairy queen get his own spirit but she doesn't)
Thanks for sharing that, it's a fascinating story I had no idea about. Why At-Games of all people? The guys who made the god-awful Genesis clones that I remember telling customers to avoid buying back when I worked retail. It's a real shame, I think Ms. Pac-Man would be a perfect fit for an Echo, or at the very least an alt in the vein of Alph.

D

Deleted member

Woah, the people you know today as NRS had a hand in this? Great...

If this At-Games can't do relevant stuff withbher then maybe they should sell the rights back to Bamco.

Troykv

Smash Master
well thats kind of the point, hes making it sound like nintendo forced him to put in byleth, but he had to be willing to do it. if nintendo had a list for him to chose from then he would have ignored a lot of other nintendo characters or if they had just picked 5 characters for him to use why would they only have one of their own characters?
We don't know for sure, maybe some character were picked to fit certain criteria Nintendo wanted, so he needed to put something from certain section. I remember Smash For 3DS/Wii U had basically an open space for a relevant First Party Character, where Corrin ended up fitting.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Good time to bring this back.

As I said before, this was during the Smash 4 days, so some of more popular 3rd Party females like Chun-Li, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, and Shantae haven't been added yet because this was before Cloud and Ryu opened the floodgates (and characters like 2B didn't exist yet), but I'm shocked that some of these characters are still not in.

1581039229428.png

1581039240862.png

Since I can't directly embed from Deviantart, here's the Artist's page.

Also found this, was made slightly before Ultimate's release.

Last edited:

sbhouse12345

Smash Rookie
Good time to bring this back.

As I said before, this was during the Smash 4 days, so some of more popular 3rd Party females like Chun-Li, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, and Shantae haven't been added yet because this was before Cloud and Ryu opened the floodgates (and characters like 2B didn't exist yet), but I'm shocked that some of these characters are still not in.

View attachment 261311

View attachment 261312

Since I can't directly embed from Deviantart, here's the Artist's page.

Also found this, was made slightly before Ultimate's release.

Did you makes these? Whoever came up with that title is a legend.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Still rooting for Elma and 2B. I'd support the hell out of Tara Grimface, if she had a chance.

That said, though, in the end I judge a character by their moveset potential, first and foremost. That said, female or no, if the character is going to have a generic moveset, I'm not really for it.

D

Deleted member

Still rooting for Elma and 2B. I'd support the hell out of Tara Grimface, if she had a chance.

That said, though, in the end I judge a character by their moveset potential, first and foremost. That said, female or no, if the character is going to have a generic moveset, I'm not really for it.
This is where honestly a lot of criticism towards me comes from anyway -_-

There are some people who do care about gender over moveset potential, or there could be both. Point is, this view of yours isn't necessarily reflective of the entire community.

D

Deleted member

Ridley and K Rool get glory and fame worldwide. Krystal and Dixie Kong are tossed to the trash and largely ignored by the fanbase.
Most of what Smash community speculates and usually has higher chances are male characters.

Yep. Definitely adding male bias to the Smash community's seven deadly sins.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosUltimate/comments/c0sk5c
I just think about how much better this would be if Krystal was in the Star Fox section fighting Wolf alongside Fox and Falco and Dixie was in the DK section fighting Rool alongside DK and Diddy.
Add Luigi to the Mario one and Impa to the Zelda one too.
While we're at it, it would be cool if they made more of these "hero-villain" images. I want one with the Inklings staring down DJ Octavio.

Yep. Definitely adding male bias to the Smash community's seven deadly sins.
Wait, what are the others?

Top Bottom