• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

We Can Do It! - The Female DLC Character Discussion and Support Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A little status opinion on my part:

We don't know exactly what pattern Sakurai and the development team will follow. Will it be all-male? All-female? Equal? More men than women, or more women than men? I honestly kind of feel that yeah, Sakurai is also aiming for fan requests, but it's the least he could do.
i wouldnt be surprise if he just picks names out of hats

D

Deleted member

i wouldnt be surprise if he just picks names out of hats
If the next character is a character no one in the Speculation thread had done major discussion on, I swear that's the name of the game.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Well my most wanted characters are almost all female : Shantae, Kos-Mos, Kitana, Cassandra Alexandra, Jody Summer, Coco Bandicoot ect.

The big problem for female characters is that they often tend not to be the main protagonist of their games, thus prioritizing the said male protagonists (who appeal more to the usual male audience ) for a new franchise's representation in smash.
In order to get a female character, we often have to wait for the more important character to be included first.

Cutting down my realistic list to Shantae, Kos-Mos ( mascot of her franchise and arguably of Monolith Soft itself ) and Coco if she is made an alt of Crash.

Based on the comments made by Sakurai during the Byleth direct and the 6th character added, I firlmy believe that the second fighters pass will mainly aim at pandering to the fans, and the fans have been requesting more female characters all along.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Definitely support this. It’s kind of weird though. Other than 2B, I can’t think of any females who have a good chance in the Fighter’s Pass. Which is exactly why I support this! Any other female would be really cool. So cool, I just can’t think of them yet.

D

Deleted member

The big problem for female characters is that they often tend not to be the main protagonist of their games, thus prioritizing the said male protagonists (who appeal more to the usual male audience ) for a new franchise's representation in smash.
In order to get a female character, we often have to wait for the more important character to be included first.
Then again, have Sakurai pick the important female character-led franchise, like Tomb Raider. Simple.

Definitely support this. It’s kind of weird though. Other than 2B, I can’t think of any females who have a good chance in the Fighter’s Pass. Which is exactly why I support this! Any other female would be really cool. So cool, I just can’t think of them yet.
It isn't weird. People just call me out for it haha

D

Deleted member

I've probably asked before but why have people called you out for it?
Mainly due to how obnoxious it was; how I would often bring it up all the time, etc. To the point when everyone just got sick of it.

At least I admit that sometimes my female discussion bore poisonous fruits.

sbhouse12345

Smash Rookie
A little status opinion on my part:

We don't know exactly what pattern Sakurai and the development team will follow. Will it be all-male? All-female? Equal? More men than women, or more women than men? I honestly kind of feel that yeah, Sakurai is also aiming for fan requests, but it's the least he could do.
Ok seriously? Sakurai doesn't care about what gender the characters are. He picks them just because either he's a fan of the franchise they're from or if they have a good moveset. He doesn't care about stuff like this.

D

Deleted member

Ok seriously? Sakurai doesn't care about what gender the characters are. He picks them just because either he's a fan of the franchise they're from or if they have a good moveset. He doesn't care about stuff like this.
I mean, yeah. But...it's kinda problematic to see that there aren't enough women? This is the same guy that made a Plant playable.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And you know that how, exactly? I mean I'm sure those first two reasons are incredibly important, but wow does everyone on the internet love to claim they know exactly what Sakurai is thinking.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And you know that how, exactly? I mean I'm sure those first two reasons are incredibly important, but wow does everyone on the internet love to claim they know exactly what Sakurai is thinking.
Hell, he could be picking a big curveball for all we know.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
It's probably the same group of people who pretended they can read minds as kids and somehow actually think that they can as they got older. No one knows what the man is thinking.

D

Deleted member

Also

Hey uh

yeah I know, 4chan, but this feels a bit more... concrete than the Akuma “leak”

Unless they're saying that Bayonetta is the base, I don't wanna hope right now that we could get our first female character in the pass....

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Well if this glitch suspicion is correct, it is safe to expect the next character to be female given that the "base" character they usually use doens't only revolve around the moveset ( see how Banjo's moveset changes from DuckHunt's ) but is also a matter of proportion and appearance overall.

Since Bayonetta is one of my three mains, I'm down for it !

It is interesting to think about who that character could be....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well if this glitch suspicion is correct, it is safe to expect the next character to be female given that the "base" character they usually use doens't only resolve around the moveset ( see how Banjo's moveset changes from DuckHunt's ) but is also a matter of proportion and appearance overall.

Since Bayonetta is one of my three mains, I'm down for it !

It is interesting to think about who that character could be....
Then again, if base refers to gameplay style, it could be Dante or any combo-based character. Though things could go in an interesting direction...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The two female characters in my predicshlist are Echo Fighters, but it's still a step up from Byleth's female alt.
Ben Holts Fighter Pass volume 2 (1).png

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I recently got into the Shantae games and can really see her as a newcomer. She has a lot of moveset potential either with her dance transformations or with Risky Boots' pirate gear (perhaps a combination of both). Being an indy could pose a hurdle but hopefully Sakurai can look past that.

Also holding out for Lara Croft, with her base look being that of the reboot and an alternate costume that looks closer to her original clothing. I think she could have a moveset along the lines of acrobatic kicks, bow and arrow, twin guns and a climbing pick to grab onto ledges. Again though, I think licensing might be a hurdle. Fingers crossed.

D

Deleted member

I recently got into the Shantae games and can really see her as a newcomer. She has a lot of moveset potential either with her dance transformations or with Risky Boots' pirate gear (perhaps a combination of both). Being an indy could pose a hurdle but hopefully Sakurai can look past that.

Also holding out for Lara Croft, with her base look being that of the reboot and an alternate costume that looks closer to her original clothing. I think she could have a moveset along the lines of acrobatic kicks, bow and arrow, twin guns and a climbing pick to grab onto ledges. Again though, I think licensing might be a hurdle. Fingers crossed.

Shantae, despite being a spirit, is in quite a hunch IF we get a Spirit promotion.

Square and Nintendo have good interactions, so I think they'll have a little problem putting Lara in Smash; good luck making a moveset tho

D

Deleted member

I have a gut feeling 2B is happening.

I've said It on Discord days ago: the fact Sakurai loved Nier Automata, is huge friends with the creator (Yoko Taro) and the game is currently a really huge deal in the gaming community gives me huge Snake in Brawl flashbacks.

I feel that 2B may be likely to get in through the same conditions Snake got in Brawl (the creator of the character being really close to Sakurai and really asking him a lot to get them added).

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Dixie really should be a part of the roster already. I'd also love to see Dr. Coyle from ARMS, even though she has absolutely zero chance.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I have a gut feeling 2B is happening.

I've said It on Discord days ago: the fact Sakurai loved Nier Automata, is huge friends with the creator (Yoko Taro) and the game is currently a really huge deal in the gaming community gives me huge Snake in Brawl flashbacks.

I feel that 2B may be likely to get in through the same conditions Snake got in Brawl (the creator of the character being really close to Sakurai and really asking him a lot to get them added).
I'm not very familiar with 2B but shouldn't she be based on Lucina instead ?

D

Deleted member

I'm not very familiar with 2B but shouldn't she be based on Lucina instead ?
If you are referring to my Snake in Brawl comment, I was referring to how Solid Snake got in Brawl basically because Kojima kept asking Sakurai to get him in since the Melee days and Sakurai finally decided to add him as a close friend of him.

D

Deleted member

Dixie really should be a part of the roster already. I'd also love to see Dr. Coyle from ARMS, even though she has absolutely zero chance.
Dixie is TOO easy to put in yet the devs didn't do it for some reason. I mean, she can be an Echo of Diddy Kong for all I know, though my ex-friend is insistent that she be made into her own fighter with her unique moveset. To be honest, that is the most logical way to do stuff with her right now.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
Let's see...

-Rose/Shana (Legend of Dragoon)
-Nina (Breath of Fire)
-Regina (Dino Crisis)
-Lara Croft
-Jill Valentine/Claire Redfield
-Amy Rose
-2B
-Impa
-Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)
-KOS-MOS
-Urbosa
-Linkle
-Kasumi (Dead or Alive)
-Yuri Kozukata (Fatal Frame)
-Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
-Virginia Maxwell (Wild ARMs 3)

There's alot more characters I'd like...just drawing blanks

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I know everyone's had their fair share of swordsmen & Fire Emblem reps, but what do you think about Marvel's Guillotine being in Smash? She uses a sword yes, but she could bring new things to the table just the same.

She's a marvel character, but she was created for a mobile fighting game called 'Marvel's Contetest of Champions.'

While I don't know if she exists outside the Battlerealm (the fictional universe in which her game takes place), I think it could work. She has moveset potential thanks to her home game, and could be one of the only options for a Marvel Rep in Smash right now (Civil Warrior or Ultron Sigma could also work in my opinion, though)...

Am I truely the only one who wants this? She's decently well-known among Marvel & Gaming fans... (Obviously I'll be working on a moveset in a while)
I looked her up in the Marvel Database and she does appear in the Earth-616 comics. Just a couple months after her game. When a character created for a franchise debuts in a game before coming to the main series in the original medium, she's not a video game character. And I wouldn't say she's decently well known among Marvel and gaming fans, because I never heard of her. Actually, her comic has the publication date of December but it was released the day before the game came out, so technically she debuted in the comic and not the game. She's a comic book character.

Okay, now that that reply is out of the way, I would like a female fighter in the DLC. Byleth didn't count because the male is the default. I want someone like Lara Croft or Tracer, maybe one of the girls from Dead or Alive like Hitomi. If spirits don't deconfirm characters, I would like Shantae, Amy and Ribbon Girl and if Assist Trophies don't deconfirm, Krystal.

Last edited:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I looked her up in the Marvel Database and she does appear in the Earth-616 comics. Just a couple months after her game. When a character created for a franchise debuts in a game before coming to the main series in the original medium, she's not a video game character. And I wouldn't say she's decently well known among Marvel and gaming fans, because I never heard of her. Actually, her comic has the publication date of December but it was released the day before the game came out, so technically she debuted in the comic and not the game. She's a comic book character.

Okay, now that that reply is out of the way, I would like a female fighter in the DLC. Byleth didn't count because the male is the default. I want someone like Lara Croft or Tracer, maybe one of the girls from Dead or Alive like Hitomi. If spirits don't deconfirm characters, I would like Shantae, Amy and Ribbon Girl and if Assist Trophies don't deconfirm, Krystal.
From the company Kabam, the people behind The Contest mobile game, it has been admitted that she appears in the comics first, but her design was created by the company for the story. Her character may have debuted in a comic, but her design was made for the games. It was created by Kabam, for the Marvel game, & its storyline. Just like that one Mortal Kombat charcter that was first seen in the show... Cartoon? Movie? Whatever...

Also I'd love Lara Croft, Ribbon Girl, Amy, Shantae & Tracer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Byleth has all my respect and credit due, but we have yet to see a solo independent female fighter

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Dixie is TOO easy to put in yet the devs didn't do it for some reason. I mean, she can be an Echo of Diddy Kong for all I know, though my ex-friend is insistent that she be made into her own fighter with her unique moveset. To be honest, that is the most logical way to do stuff with her right now.
It would be more of a Villager/Isabelle situation with Dixie.

D

Deleted member

It would be more of a Villager/Isabelle situation with Dixie.
That is honestly the better situation, but only if the devs won't be lazy. I think that as long as the character is there, it's something you have to be contented with.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but if you're familiar with DKC, a straight up echo fighter of Diddy wouldn't work. They could pull some moves from him for her, but some would just not work or wouldn't be appropriate.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but if you're familiar with DKC, a straight up echo fighter of Diddy wouldn't work. They could pull some moves from him for her, but some would just not work or wouldn't be appropriate.
This is coming from someone who isn't that much of an avid DKC fan, but after seeing some posts, I kind of believe that they can make her work like Isabelle; a semiclone.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
This is coming from someone who isn't that much of an avid DKC fan, but after seeing some posts, I kind of believe that they can make her work like Isabelle; a semiclone.
Yeah, it's true. A lot of us would feel that Dixie would be given the Isabelle treatment rather than be an Echo Fighter.

Short answer is: Dixie's thing is her ponytail. In the games she uses it to hover and to attack enemies. If she was an echo of Diddy, i.e. if their animations were overall extremely similar, then she wouldn't be whipping her ponytail around to do anything, if at all. The most I see the developers putting in if they insisted on making Dixie a Diddy echo is changing her dash attack to be a spinning ponytail attack, and giving Dixie a new up special where she spins like DK.

In the games, though, Dixie Kong uses her ponytail for way more than just that. In Tropical Freeze, she uses it to jet through the water, in Donkey Kong Country 2 she uses it to grab onto hooks, and in all appearances, Dixie even uses her ponytail to grab and throw things.

Dixie Kong's support thread's owner BirthNote BirthNote put it best: Dixie Kong's ponytail is like a fifth limb for her. Given that conceit, making Dixie a straight up Diddy echo rather than an Isabelle styled semi-clone of Diddy wouldn't really work.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I truly hope he considers adding Lara Croft thought. We have a lot of gaming icons in the roster like Ryu, Snake, etc. I’d love to see her make it.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I truly hope he considers adding Lara Croft thought. We have a lot of gaming icons in the roster like Ryu, Snake, etc. I’d love to see her make it.
Agreed... Lara & maybe Tracer from overwatch would make this roster for me. There are others I'd like to see, but they could come after those two

D

Deleted member

Depending on the Direction they take...Sora, Neku, she's got competition.

Top Bottom