• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WBR Queue System Proposal + File Cabinet

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Face it. We need some serious organization here. We need a virtual file file Cabinet as well. We need to play test and verify changes and keep track of why changes go in.

I propose 2 systems that would go into effect as we let in new members. They would help us manage changes that go into this game as well as keep all WBR members on the same page and enable us to always know why something went in and how it got in.

Proposal 1: Queue System

Generally, the idea is to have a list of any and all changes to this game, from largest and most game changing to the most frivolous/cosmetic. This is so we know what needs to be done and what doesn't need to be done. This list also has priority tiers. So important changes don't go at the bottom (ex, Change 1 would be A Rank Priority and Change 2 would be Rank C. Change 1 would go at the bottom of A Rank and change 2 would go at the bottom of C Rank.)

The system works like this. A change is suggested. The change is nominated by a few WBR members and is essentially added the Queue list and sorted into the right priority. We start from the bottom and work our way down. Every time we start a new item, WBR as a whole discusses it for a certain period of time before a final decision is reached. Based on how important or how high the priority, the discussion time can range from a day or two to two-three weeks. At the end of the discussion, a super majority in favor must be reached in order for the change to go through. 66% or more. If the Super Majority says No, then the change is dropped from the Queue list and can't be re-requested until a later date waaay down the line. If it falls inbetween (50-50ish and around there) then discussion of the topic is extended and a poll is created as the end all vote. If a 50-50ish is reached again, then the change is turned down temporarily for revisiting at a later date and we move onto the next item on the list.

Of course before any discussion is held, the change or changes are put into a private WBR build for playtesting and those who have not playtested shall not be allowed to participate in discussion. We're working on a huge *** project that will take more than a year to even become close to finishing. The least everyone can do is playtest for a period of time based on changes, minimum, before even thinking about contributing to discussion.

Through a method such as this, any and all changes go through most members of WBR before giving the seal of approval, so Ness fair, Samus Jab, etc. Don't happen again.

I'd personally be willing to manage this queue list myself if it means helping WBR get **** done properly.

Proposal 2: File Cabinet

Simple concept. We keep a file of every change and all of its details in a thread for referencing.

Every approved change, reason as to why. When did the change fall through. What the change does. Who made the change. Who supported it. Who/what is it for. Things like that for easy referencing and to keep all WBR members on the same page, which is something we'll need if we're adding new members to this group.

I believe that complete co-operation with these things give WBR much needed help when it comes to changes in this massive project.

This will generally require the co-operation of everyone every, but I know we're all competent enough to do this.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I skimmed it (heading out soon), and I like your proposal...

but the problem is almost EVERYTHING actually happens in the IRC.

I also think we need to make a final verdict about game mechanic changes. Shieldstun, hitstun, tech speeds, rolling invincibility and IASA frames, etc.

I'd put these lingering concerns (well, for some of us I guess) on top of the query. Mostly because they dictate basically everything else (universal game mechanics are universal).

I would give Neko an Internet...

but then Aerial Raptor Boost, Nu, etc.

ya no

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If everything happens in the IRC, it needs to either happen here instead or be reflected here. Not everyone is on the IRC at the same time. Everything needs to happen here for the sake of organization and clarity.

Veril

Frame Savant
I also think we need to make a final verdict about game mechanic changes. Shieldstun, hitstun, tech speeds, rolling invincibility and IASA frames, etc.
There have already been two threads made about this. The consensus was and IS that those core mechanics should remain unchanged.

IASA frames fall under character balance more than general mechanics imo

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
@veril: He meant IASA on the rolls, making it very much a "universal" mechanic if it's universally a problem.

Furthermore, I don't think we ever really reached a consensus. The only consensus reached was "let's wait."

The interesting thing here is that if we actually do use a system like this, we may actually not end up with melee 2.0 and brawl+ converging like I originally predicted. Because the truth is, we really don't have much in the way of balance changes left if we don't go forward with editing stuff like hitstun and shieldstun. The main stuff we'd be trying to do at this point is actually just retroactive mechanics changes, which means we'd be limited in what we can change. On the other hand, it's possible that this will actually accelerate brawl+ and melee 2.0 merging, since once balance in the current set is addressed, we'd be able to focus all our effort on mechanics. Regardless of what happens, I expect things to get hectic in here after the initial balance fixes, and I expect it to be solely about the direction of this project.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
There have already been two threads made about this. The consensus was and IS that those core mechanics should remain unchanged.
It definitely was not.

I've been playing around with lowered hitstun and NADT lately and I have to say it feels sooooo much better. So much less cookie cutter combos and EZ mode, but important stuff still works. Obviously this is not a small change though.

I really think shieldstun needs to be reevaluated too.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Most times I've been on lately, there has been some productive work going on in the IRC, and 5% of it is casual talk.

Also, I can write an IRC bot if you guys put Dantarion's idea into action. I do think its a good idea.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
As I posted in the other thread, the WBR needs a Google Wave-like application. We could collaborate in color-coded text and have each of our opinions referenced and laid out directly in front of the changes we see problems with.

The IRC is far too haphazard to lay cases down in my opinion. More crunch work gets done there then anything.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
As long as wherever you upload it to is secure, this sounds like a pretty good idea. Since, well... look what I found on google the other day: http://pastie.org/617156/wrap?key=xgjpn6r5vbtjznoanqzg
No way it's going on pastebin, but lolwut? Google? The bot will likely just collect conversations, store it in a txt file, and at midnight, log in to smashboards and dump the txt as a topic reply in a topic (I guess under my name). It'll be easily searchable under vBulletin's engine and kept out of the public eye like what you found.

I have no space to store logs on my web server :ohwell:

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
OK, and if you can, IM me the FTP details again, forgot to save it when I upgraded from Vista to 7 <_>

Top Bottom