• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WaveDashing In SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I'd like a sight where it says this because if it's true, I'll be happy...but if it's not, I'll still be(like now) hoping...
Unfortunately, nothing has confirmed this. This is just wishful thinking. Nintendo is clearly aware that WDing exists, so they would be able to easily decifer what physics engine problem is responsible. They could then change this to cause anything to happen. Maybe instead of a wding, you would just stop where you hit the ground. Maybe they change the momentum you aquire to a slower move, and they might even give it its own animation, recognizing it as a new move. They could increase the cool down. They might even make it nothing but a landing shield roll. No one can say for sure yet, but we're keeping our fingers crossed.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ya if WD goes, there will be a very similar alternative, but I don't see it happening. Still, in the slim chance of WD not returning, I don't think we have much to worry about, Nintendo knows what they are doing.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Wario's so fat, his crawl is probably useless for ducking under fire. The first thing I thought when I saw crawling was, "Oh, OK. A nice way to avoid fox blaster spammers, and samus missile spammers." Wario though, ... he's looks too fat for that to work for him. :laugh:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
lol...I think I saw Snake do a flip out of a crawl into an attack...nevertheless, it will be useful in some way because Nintendo did not put it in for nothing...

Rakuen

Smash Apprentice
Wario's so fat, his crawl is probably useless for ducking under fire. The first thing I thought when I saw crawling was, "Oh, OK. A nice way to avoid fox blaster spammers, and samus missile spammers." Wario though, ... he's looks too fat for that to work for him. :laugh:
He did have a Flat Wario form in Wario Land 2 and 3 though. So it might work.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Does it really matter if WDing is still in the game? Yes, it's very useful, but WDing is ground-based, and SSBB is taking a definite turn to more airborne combat.
yup, because there definatly is clear evidence to support your statement. :dizzy:

Infact, in SSBB, there wont be a ground, and everyone will have wings! ;)

Chromeless

Smash Apprentice
On the flipside, it would destroy ranged preassure games if poorly implimented and I'm not sure that's a positive thing in all cases. For blaster spamming I'm all for it though, as the starfox characters are godly in so many ways and simply shouldn't be able to apply that kind of preassure at distance.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
so dvlan...

I heard from bizy today that he ***** your shiit at the actual game old school style.

Is this true? LOL My condolences if it is. Good job at winning on the internet...yet failing at smash.

That's not embarrassing at all.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
How is losing to a good player failing [considering the story is true]? That doesn't make sense to me. If you get beat by someone like Mew2King do you tell yourself, "oh now I fail at smash", I bet you don't. So stfu and stop being so scruby.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
wtf. lol but bizy is no MK2. He's good...But not like semi pro/pro level at smash bros. You cant just use M2K as an example when bizy is just a normal player.

whatever i've said what i came to say.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Uh... this thread has become pointless we wont know If wavedash will be in the game until the game is released I don't think they will show us wavedash in E3 and or trailer

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
...Yeah I definitely agree with you... If anything, they will probably just have WaveDash as a thing to learn without the game...(hopefully they don't take it out...)

Fastinyoh

Smash Apprentice
Look at the second trailer where Wario is thrown off to the right side on the airship stage. He comes back on and slides so far along the ground I'm calling it a full wavedash, not just a land.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Actually, he was on his back... that could be what I said before and be a crawling dash...(CD)or it can be WD but he was on his back...Crawling may be more useful than we think...

Inevitable

Smash Apprentice
Or maybe when Wario lands he goes into that weird back position..which would mean it is indeed a wavedash.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
What I want out of WDing:

1. It should have its appearance announced in an obvious manner. It should have its own set of animations and bonuses related to it.

2. It should be considered in playtesting for balance purposes.

Thats all.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I got 5 pages in before the stupidity knocked me out...

So many people seem to still think that Sheik Marth and Fox are all much better because of WDing.
---------they are really fast anyways, and only fox's leads to a technique that can be done on what, less than 1/5th of the characters?
So many people don't read that Nintendo caught this before it was released
---------it was deliberately left in
So many people try and say that it is "unreal"
---------it is just as unreal as anything in a fighting game, and it follows the phyics of the game engine. This may make it an 'exploit' but as everyone can do it,...
So many people use the "it wasn't in SSB64" as a reason...
---------and if things never changed, wouldn't they get boring?
So many people say that its unlike L-canceling and things of that nature, which is the same for each character, WDing isn't.
---------Rolling and L-canceling have different effectivenesses...if everyone L-canceled the same, bowser would be much better in performance. Now a counter argument here could be that it is still roughly 1/2 the lag of each character (l-canceling, of course). But just because the equation is simpler doesn't mean that there is no rhyme or reason to it--its a combination of jumping speed and traction (which again is part of the game engine).
Its benefit isn't equal to its work needed.
---------WDing isn't hard, really, with any character. It may be different timing with some, but then again, that is because the jumping it slower for some people. Using "its harder with Bowser" as an excuse is pretty much a lame john, as all it takes is getting used to having to press the buttons more accurately.

Has there been any reason that doesn't have a definite counter yet? If not, does it matter if other people think WDing is cheap?

FTR, I'm a Doc main, but enjoy using everyone (and am relatively decent with them). I never thought it was cheap, as I understood that marth can kick my *** as doc even without WDing. I did think it was pointless at first (and hard to do) but that was 2 years ago and now its second nature (or first nature with doc, luigi, mew2, and all) and I can WD back and forth across FD with everyone...

Now to the actual thread:
I really don;t care if it is in or not. I still play Street Fighter, even though I can't jump and air dodge into the ground,,,its going to be a completely new game, for crying out loud. If the fact that something isn't in another similar game, I'd be whining at how kirby isn't uber-1337 anymore or something (more relevant would be fox...I' can't land-cancel shines in melee can I? Does that make it worse than SSB64? NO, it makes SSBM a new, different game.

If it is in SSBB, though, I think it would be great to balance it ahead of time rather than just letting it go as is. I'm not proposing some lame, "it all has to be the same," rather that as they come up with the new character designs, they keep WDing and how it works in mind, as to not have a character than is really strong and heavy, but uses wheels to move around and thus has a super-long WD (a patently dumb example, but it gets my point across).
--Though to this though, can anyone tell me how WDing made anyone but fox "too" unfair. It certainly made many characters better, but those are the characters that weren't godly: It definately pushed Samus up to be a contender, as with luigi and link, to some extent. Link has a slow dash, meaning that to escape an attack he had to jump or shield. His WD isn't long, but it allows him to scuttle back quickly better than rolling (which is easy to punish) or dashing backwards (as a character such as fox/falcon can).

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Now, think about it this way.

Is it safe to underestimate the people who made the game and assumed that they had their head buried in the sand this whole time? These past whatever years when SSBM came out came the breakout of glitches (wavedashing and L-cancelling). There has to be at least ONE person who saw what was going on and must recognize that it's a deep concept of the game. Wavedashing and L-cancelling was in Nintendo Power for crying out loud. The idea of wavedashing out of SSBB will remain as a wet dream of the ultimate n00b. That is all. Keep dreaming.
I hope you're right about that last part, but something tells me we won't be that fortunate. Well, it's not a sure thing yet anyway. Who knows, they may take out air dodging and then what? Screwed. :(

(Not sure why I responded to that.)

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Yeah! no Jhons noobs! They'll keep it in anyway! come on people cheer up! WD is going to stay!!!

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I don't see why people feel wavedashing must be removed. MOST smash players aren't as dedicated as we are, and thus will probably never have to worry about wavedashing opponents (although now that we're going online it is much more likely...).

The point is, if someone spends their time fighting wavedashers, they're likely going to put in the time and effort to learn how to wavedash to keep up. If you don't want to put in that effort, than live with the fact that its there.

Other than tournament play, I honestly have trouble seeing its inclusion even AFFECTING most players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom