• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WaveDashing In SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
It certainly made many characters better, but those are the characters that weren't godly: It definately pushed Samus up to be a contender, as with luigi and link, to some extent. Link has a slow dash, meaning that to escape an attack he had to jump or shield. His WD isn't long, but it allows him to scuttle back quickly better than rolling (which is easy to punish) or dashing backwards (as a character such as fox/falcon can).
You forgot Ice Climbers and Mew2 benefit signfigantly from wavedash while Sheik and Falcon (the top/upper tiers) do not benfit from it as much as even Mario.

I really do not see a reason to take it out.

1. It is not unfair

2. If you cannot do it, you are a casual gamer and do not need it anways

Plus, I want Luigi to have the same feel which includes mostly wavedashing. :(

Keta

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before.... and it's hard to tell due to how far away it is, but it looks like Fox wavedashes backwards when there is a four-for-all at the end of the world trailer.

mffns

Smash Cadet
Well, basically wavedashing is air dodging close to the ground. So if they take out air dodging (Which i doubt they will), wavedashing is going to stay.

Adi

Smash Lord
NO NO NO.

Just because they leave in airdodging does not by any means confirm wavedash.

In Melee the physics engine converts that left over dodging movement into horizontal energy once you hit the ground. The Brawl physics engine is likely to be completely revamped so that any number of possibilities is available, from still being in your airdodging animation when you touch the ground or just standing straight up without any movement.

However Sakurai definetely doesn't have his head in the ground, and probably realizes the importance wavedashing has for the smash community. My guess is that he'll probably keep it or something similar to it and have it easier to do.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
If you look at the new smash site the first pic shows PICKACHU AIRDODGING!
SO THERE IS A CHACE IT MAY BE IN BRAWL!!!!
Good point... we're one step closer to finding out whether or not we'll be able to do the infamous wavedash in Brawl.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I think it should stay such as l-cancel, i myself am not a wavedash user very much, and i often kill myself doing it wrong XD but practice makes perfect, it might or might not be a glitch, but its a helpful one, and most (if not all) competitive players can do it, so whats the problem?

TJJ

Smash Cadet
The wavedash will most likely be in Brawl. The photo of gameplay on www.smashbros.com above the subtitle "This is smash!" in "The Basic Rules" shows Pikachu air-dodging (theres also another photo). Which is pretty much a dead giveaway. The reason I know it's an air dodge is because its the exact same way he did it in melee. But, it still might not be true.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Oh my god, when will people get over this crazy idea that having an air dodge means having a wave dash. Just because wave dashing requires an air dodge to perform, does not mean that having air dodging means wavedashing will be left in. People have listed a half dozen ways the programmers could EASILY allow full air dodge functionality but remove wavedashing.

Examples:

- Air dodging into the ground causes the character to stop with no momentum, and just go into an idle state.
- Air dodging into the ground causes the character to go into a Roll as if they had dodged left/right on the ground.
- Air dodging into the ground causes a Tech animation.
- Air dodging into the ground plays a special air-dodge-land animation that stops momentum.

We know the game knows what the character was doing at the moment they hit the ground, or things such as L-cancelling wouldn't work. Thus, in that section of the code they need simply add something like this:

If( character.getState() == STATE_AIR_DODGE )
{
character.setMomentumVector(ZeroVector);
character.setNewState(STATE_AIR_DODGE_LAND);
}

Bam, 3 lines of code, air dodging works exactly the same as before, but wavedashing no longer works.

Anonymous1c4

Smash Rookie
I don't really think they should take it out because players who don't use it think it's cheap. I wouldn't really mind if they took it out because they thought of something into the game to change the style of gameplay. Kind of like how each Street Fighter game has slightly different changes in the gameplay, but has major impact overall.

As far as the whole "wavedashing is a glitch, therefore it should be taken out" thing, I personally don't agree with that. In Quake, strafe jumping (a form of bunny hoping for those who don't know) was considered a glitch, but it's used by competitive players to speed the game up quite a bit.

Personally, I'd kind of like it if they kept wavedashing, but if they take it out, fine. I'll just have to make do with Brawl's gameplay and see if I can figure ways to get better at it.

EDIT: Hmm.. Probably wasn't a good idea to make my first post in a debate topic... Probably going to get flamed :|

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Why should we care if noobs consider it cheap? All thats gonna happen is that they're gonna complain about something else

NES n00b

Smash Master
I don't really think they should take it out because players who don't use it think it's cheap. I wouldn't really mind if they took it out because they thought of something into the game to change the style of gameplay. Kind of like how each Street Fighter game has slightly different changes in the gameplay, but has major impact overall.

As far as the whole "wavedashing is a glitch, therefore it should be taken out" thing, I personally don't agree with that. In Quake, strafe jumping (a form of bunny hoping for those who don't know) was considered a glitch, but it's used by competitive players to speed the game up quite a bit.

Personally, I'd kind of like it if they kept wavedashing, but if they take it out, fine. I'll just have to make do with Brawl's gameplay and see if I can figure ways to get better at it.

EDIT: Hmm.. Probably wasn't a good idea to make my first post in a debate topic... Probably going to get flamed :|

Any sensable person wouldn't flame you. Wavedashing has alot of uses that are far too much to go into detail so I think it should stay. Casual gamers do not have to learn it so why should they care if wavedashing is cheap or not? If wavedashing is not in Brawl, I will feel a little bit out of place without, but I will get over it.

Well actually, I won't because half the fun of playing Luigi is wavedashing all over the place. :mad:

hellsoldierx15

Smash Journeyman
Any sensable person wouldn't flame you. Wavedashing has alot of uses that are far too much to go into detail so I think it should stay. Casual gamers do not have to learn it so why should they care if wavedashing is cheap or not? If wavedashing is not in Brawl, I will feel a little bit out of place without, but I will get over it.

Well actually, I won't because half the fun of playing Luigi is wavedashing all over the place. :mad:
i can agree with you there. wavedashing, for me, is to control spacing between foes and to get somewhere faster. i dont use it for flashyness (except luigi) but, like said above, theres just too many reasons why wavedashing is important and too many reasons why wavedashing SHOULD be in brawl.

ight...im out for the night.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Wait... let me get this straight. You guys are more worried about wavedashing then the actual game itself? New characters, new levels, new items, new techniques and still you're not satified?

Wow, you guys are real killjoys for Brawl.

"Oh no! If Wavedashing is gone, I'll never play the game again!"
Yeah you'll still play it, lets not lie to ourselves, okay.

Brawl will be great! Look past one single unnecessary thing and think about how great this game will truly be!

NES n00b

Smash Master
Wait... let me get this straight. You guys are more worried about wavedashing then the actual game itself? New characters, new levels, new items, new techniques and still you're not satified?

Wow, you guys are real killjoys for Brawl.

"Oh no! If Wavedashing is gone, I'll never play the game again!"
Yeah you'll still play it, lets not lie to ourselves, okay.

Brawl will be great! Look past one single unnecessary thing and think about how great this game will truly be!
I do not know if you are talking to me, but like I said in my post, I would play the game and still have fun. The only part of wavedashing being gone that would REALLY ruin it for me is Luigi (unless they change his moveset to be just as fun without wavedashing). I would just play Mario and Link (plus others) if wavedashing does not comeback. All in all, I just think it should be in the game, but it is not the most important thing (by a long shot).

180OP

Smash Journeyman
WD is good for mindgames. quick movements, quick ledge grabbing. To advance on a player wihtout dashing or turning around enabling you to do your smash attack. Wavelanding is very useful because it helps get around the platforms faster avoid attacks and what not.

It makes the game much faster and technical.

I'm sure all of these points have already been addressed.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Did you see what Wario did at the last fight scene in the Nintendo world trailer?
It is undeniable- It was the wavedash

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
This thread needs to die. ****ing wait until the game comes out.

and for the people who are arguing for or against WDing, stfu, because regardless of your argument the programmers will either put in WD or they won't. you don't have a choice, so there's no point in arguing for or against it. Deal with it.

and for the third and final time, regardless of whether Wding is a glitch, physics problem or not, it has been PROVEN that the devs CHOSE to LEAVE IT IN. THEY WANTED IT. WHICH MEANS IT WILL MOST LIKELY BE IN SSBB.

Now PLEASE SOME MOD CLOSE THIS.

OR JUST LET THE THREAD DIE.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
Did you see what Wario did at the last fight scene in the Nintendo world trailer?
It is undeniable- It was the wavedash
Yes I actually did see that...however it could have been because of meta knights attack he slid and not before. hmm. strange or he landed quick and began to move forward, so perhaps no landing lag?

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
This thread needs to die. ****ing wait until the game comes out.

and for the people who are arguing for or against WDing, stfu, because regardless of your argument the programmers will either put in WD or they won't. you don't have a choice, so there's no point in arguing for or against it. Deal with it.

and for the third and final time, regardless of whether Wding is a glitch, physics problem or not, it has been PROVEN that the devs CHOSE to LEAVE IT IN. THEY WANTED IT. WHICH MEANS IT WILL MOST LIKELY BE IN SSBB.

Now PLEASE SOME MOD CLOSE THIS.

OR JUST LET THE THREAD DIE.
So.... First you tell everyone to stfu, and say that we shouldn't argue about whether wavedashing will be included or not, because we have no choice if its going to be included or not. Then, in the very next paragraph you say that it will most likely be in? So you can argue but all the other members of this message board can't? Very hypocritical.

kxger

Smash Rookie
ummmm....i have a question....how do you wd??i've been trying to figure it out for a while now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom