• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedash and powershield a BETTER WAY: a GCN Controller Modification

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
LOL at anyone who seriously considers this a controller mod.

brawl kids do this all the time since they have no light shielding

if kids wanna take out their springs for insta shield then whatever

i only don't do it because 1. i do everything with R and wouldn't be able to light shield with L because i just can't do it lol and 2. i don't want to be completely ****ed over if my controller breaks and i have to like use someone else's or something.

Geist

Smash Master
@blowtoes "Marth counters the punch and taunts". I am fairly new to melee and I want to wave dash perfectly, don't hate me for being a noob and for taking the easiest route to victory. I can still wavedash good I just want to do it better.
lol win
You were punched for other reasons.
I actually adore new people
they are the future

and on a side note, wow this hasn't been closed yet

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well I can already wd and powershield without it lol. ;P

This is just stupid...it's like using steroids in the olympics...that defeats the entire purpose of skill...by modifying your controller to make hard skills easier, just pointless lol.
No not really. Thing is, wavedashing and powershielding doesn't make you insta-win. So wow nice newbz can wavedash with ease. It's ok, now would it make them KNOW what to do next? Sure they can effectively ps my pills now, but I don't need them. And if it's a jiggs, they can't shield in the air ;p (they shouldn't be on the ground too long)

(Yes it would be annoying)

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
I didn't realize someone bumbed a year old topic until I read this coming from someone who has several thousand posts.
me too, I was like "WTF HE HAS ALMOST 8000 POSTS AND HAS BEEN A MEMBER SINCE '02 IS HE ********?"

then I saw the post dates hella necrobumpers

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
oh wow I quoted someone from 2003... xDDDD

Zodiac

Smash Master
Im sure someones mentioned this but controller mods are against tournament rules.

D

Deleted member

lol I posted in this thread jan 14th 2003.

so many ****ing epic names going through this thread.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
From my Midwest Smash History thing I wrote...

As a humorous side-note, a discussion on controller modification had been going on for some time, started by V (superpichu). Many people did not see a problem with the basic controller modifications that were going on at the time, which was mostly removing springs in the L and R buttons. However, KishSquared singlehandedly got the “No modded controllers” rule permanently added to every tournament’s ruleset with his announcement that he planned on making a “short-hop” modification using skills learned as an electrical engineer.

“Current research level (and a good amount has been done) indicates that the project could be easily constructed with the ordering of a few microelectronics that cannot be bought at the local RadioShack (if they could, each crew member of the Ship of Fools would surely be armed with said ultimate weapon). Once proper resources are attained (time and money), development will continue, hopefully during Fall Break in two weeks.” – KishSquared

Few people could short-hop consistently at this time, and it was not an integral part of the metagame yet, but many tournament organizers realized the huge effect this would have and immediately banned all short-hop modding. Ironically, the short-hop mod never got too far past the alpha stage, and while it was indeed fully functional, KishSquared never actually incorporated it into a complete controller, nor did anyone else, as far as the community knows.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually have a controller for Brawl with no springs and a controller for Melee with them.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
From my Midwest Smash History thing I wrote...

As a humorous side-note, a discussion on controller modification had been going on for some time, started by V (superpichu). Many people did not see a problem with the basic controller modifications that were going on at the time, which was mostly removing springs in the L and R buttons. However, KishSquared singlehandedly got the “No modded controllers” rule permanently added to every tournament’s ruleset with his announcement that he planned on making a “short-hop” modification using skills learned as an electrical engineer.

“Current research level (and a good amount has been done) indicates that the project could be easily constructed with the ordering of a few microelectronics that cannot be bought at the local RadioShack (if they could, each crew member of the Ship of Fools would surely be armed with said ultimate weapon). Once proper resources are attained (time and money), development will continue, hopefully during Fall Break in two weeks.” – KishSquared

Few people could short-hop consistently at this time, and it was not an integral part of the metagame yet, but many tournament organizers realized the huge effect this would have and immediately banned all short-hop modding. Ironically, the short-hop mod never got too far past the alpha stage, and while it was indeed fully functional, KishSquared never actually incorporated it into a complete controller, nor did anyone else, as far as the community knows.
I am utterly in love with you.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
You guys modded controllers for SHORT HOPPING?

When I started playing Melee, I had to learn short hopping in 10 minutes or die lol

D

Deleted member

short hopping is (still) consider high level technical ability for midwest foxes.

/slam

Superspright

Smash Lord
if one button was a dedicated SH, then that would make it a lot f***ing easier. But, I really think it would be nice just to have it. It's not like it is hard or anything, but we have a dedicated button to light-shield with (z), why not a mod for SHing? I suppose from a tournament standpoint you want a standard for what you compete with--but if I could mod a controller to make me execute things better, why not?

Oh well ;x

Top Bottom